THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 07 Jun 2024, 03:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 794150 times)

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #1850 on: 17 Dec 2008, 15:35 »

That's a really natural transition between the sunbeams and the skin, congrats to your artist!
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

ackblom12

« Reply #1851 on: 17 Dec 2008, 23:49 »

Ok, guys, It's looking like I might actually be able to start looking into getting my sleevework done in the next few months not that I have a decent job. Kat needs her Lorax sleeve done before I can start mine, but this gives me time to bounce ideas around. Thing is I want some ideas tossed around and I need to get these ideas written down so I do not forget them. I've lookeda round for good examples of Lovecraftian tats, and I've only seen one that I personally liked. So mind helping me bounce some ideas around?

Ok, First off, I plan on one sleeve being Lovecraft and the other Sleeve being a gaming tattoo, most likely Mario themed. Possibly a mixture of old Nintendo classic characters. Anyways..

The Lovecraft sleeve is my main concern at the moment. I've been wanting to get this done for a couple years, but just kind of put off planning it because it would just be teasing the shit out of me. The only part I have planned as a definite is that I want The entire tattoo in greyscale, or pencil sketched styling. Hastur/Avatar of The King in Yellow, depending on which mythos you go by, will be at the upper part of my arm. He will be the only thing on my sleeve that is not greyscale/pencil and will be wearing his tattered yellow robes. Tentacles coming out from underneath his robes will snake upwards into my shoulder. I want the tentacles to go up my shoulder and follow my collarbones or lower neck, both front and back, and meet up around the other shoulder. At the top half of my bicep, aka the top part of my other much more innocent sleeve, I want the tattoo to be dripping madness and greyscale into that innocent world with Toad or the like going insane with another denizen or two looking on in horror while the rest of the folks in the tattoo below are completely unawares.

So come on folks, I need some ideas on what else to do with the Lovecraft side of this sleeve. Should I go with a King in Yellow play theme? should i go for a creatures theme? Part of the problem I'm ahving, not being an artsy or creative person, is figuring out how the hell to visually interpret the idea of horror being the unknown and unseen, but at the same time wanting to pay some serious homage to Cthulhu and the other Elder Gods.

Seriously, if anyone here wants to help me bounce ideas around I'd love you for it.

This is really the only good example of Lovecraftian work I've seen and it's definitely what made me 100% decide on greyscale for everything but Hastur.

http://news.bmezine.com/2008/04/09/lovecraft-escher-tolkein-combo-tattoo/#comments

This one for example is gorgeous, but I just don't like it as a Lovecraft tattoo.

http://news.bmezine.com/2008/08/12/the-kraken-awakes/#comments

So yeah.. Ideas!

EDIT: Also, an Elder Sign has be in somewhere, but I can figure out where it goes later on in the planning stages. Thus far one possibility is the back of my hand.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2008, 00:00 by ackblom12 »

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #1852 on: 18 Dec 2008, 08:18 »

I don't know much about the Lovecraft stuff, but I really like the idea of the greyscale work with the one fellow in a yellow robe.  It sounds very striking, and I am looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #1853 on: 28 Dec 2008, 18:50 »

My new tattoo, healed, minutes before going out for breakfast:

My new piercings! I went in intending to get my conch pierced, but when he tried to clamp it, it was rather awkward and at an odd angle. He said he'd attempt to do it anyway, but I didn't want my first cool piercing to be all crooked. So I got my tragus pierced instead, and topped it with two outer cartilage piercings. It made a really sick sound when the needle went through the tragus, like nothing I've ever heard. It also hurt worse than all my tattoos combined. But I really love it, and can't wait to get my other ear done in a few months, hopefully it will be more amenable to the conch, though another tragus would look spiffy too.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1854 on: 28 Dec 2008, 19:27 »

That looks pretty great!
(Both the tattoo, and the piercings)

Man, I am dying to get some work done. My roommate has 14 tattoos, and just seeing his makes me ache to get something new. I am seriously considering dieting this next month so I can afford a new tattoo.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

zenarchy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1855 on: 29 Dec 2008, 16:12 »

That is all.
"We either make ourselves strong or we make ourselves miserable, either way the amount of work is the same." -Carlos Castenada

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1856 on: 29 Dec 2008, 20:41 »

Please write "Hard" underneath it in pen.

Em, I hear you on that. It has only been like a month for me and I am itching. Though I guess I should probably finish the one I'm working on first (just adjusting the line weight and filling in the eyes and stuff). I saw my artist Saturday night at the best bands of '08 show and I got all shiny eyed at him.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #1857 on: 29 Dec 2008, 23:02 »

I keep drawing mine over and over (Well I start to draw it, realise I suck at drawing  more than I used to and give up), but now I have the cash and want it done soo bad.

Not seen anyone in this thread with a torn flesh tattoo, as if the skin has been torn away to reveal what is underneath. I have seen people with words, circut boards but most people have seen the spiderman one.

I just want the inner workings of a watch, all cogs and stuff. Steampunk like, all clockwork and stuff because that is kinda what makes me tick.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

ackblom12

« Reply #1858 on: 29 Dec 2008, 23:21 »

if an artist can't do a text font, they probably shouldn't be tattooing.

ackblom12

« Reply #1859 on: 29 Dec 2008, 23:28 »

Any idea when you're getting it or is it just a thought for now?

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #1860 on: 29 Dec 2008, 23:34 »

Tattoos suck sam, you do not need them.

And especially not a band tattoo.

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #1861 on: 30 Dec 2008, 09:44 »

That looks pretty great!
(Both the tattoo, and the piercings)

Thanks! The piercings still hurt like hell, I've been soaking them 2x day and cleaning them like five times a day but if I even brush up against them they ache. I don't remember my lobes feeling this bad. It will be worth it, though.

Sam: www.dafont.com

ackblom12

« Reply #1862 on: 30 Dec 2008, 11:29 »

Honestly, you should probably cut down on the cleaning. Only clean when you soak and/or shower. Otherwise all your doing is irritating it more than necesarry.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1863 on: 30 Dec 2008, 16:58 »

I'd QFT Akblom, but since he is right above me I will just say....

For serious. Washing them too much can cause some serious problems. When my nipple piercings were still super new, I was so worried I'd lose them that I was washing constantly. I started wearing breastfeeding pads in all my bras, and changing them nonstop(which was probably a good thing). Every time I'd change them, at least three times a day, I'd washing the piercings. I mean, super wash them. I'd sea salt soak them and rinse them with an antibacterial soap. This was all at least three times a day. And the whole time I was freaking out because they seemed grosser and grosser with every cleaning.

Eventually, it occured to my stupid ass that I was more than likely doing A LOT more harm than good, so I cut my cleaning them down to once a day, unless the suffered anything tramatic, such as being pressed on from heavy boxes of video games(since I often carry them at work). And they are doing amazingly now. They are super great and I love them.

So, long story short, clean one a day, or when required. Don't use harsh chemically soaps, and *use organic sea salt water!

*this is strictly my opinion. I tend to shy away from most things that aren't organic for my piercings. Organic soaps, organic sea salt, organic jewelry. Yeah, I have to pay more but its totally worth it. I paid $60 for the plugs I have in now and they are beautiful and awesome, and I can barely tell they are there. I heart them.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #1864 on: 30 Dec 2008, 19:55 »

Yeah, that's what my unmodded fiancee said. I think I will cut down to just after the sea salt soaks (my piercer gave me a free pack of organic sea salt, huzzah) and see how that goes. I'm also reading about tea tree oil soap so I might get some of that to wash with.

I never thought I was a fan of ear stretching, but the shop has a really nice selection of plugs. I really sort of want to do that now, but I know my fiancee and family would think it looks bad. They weren't crazy about the tragus though, and I did that, so I guess I will do it!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1865 on: 30 Dec 2008, 20:34 »

All my friends think I am weird because sitting on the edge of my bathtub are a bottle of tea tree oil(which is amazing for lice, and fugi, and many many other things),  coconut oil(which is awesome for skin and hair care, and stretching!), and organic sea salt, and cocoa butter.
But seriously, those are things that any modded person should own.

ackblom12

« Reply #1866 on: 30 Dec 2008, 21:21 »

Personally, I'm a whore for Jojoba oil. I loves me some jojoba.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1867 on: 30 Dec 2008, 21:28 »

Em I am supposed to propose makeouts now.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1868 on: 30 Dec 2008, 22:49 »

Haha I accept!

Wyr

« Reply #1869 on: 31 Dec 2008, 05:43 »

Thats my only one, but like everyone who gets just one, I plan on more.
Hopefully my next one will be the Triforce symbol on my left hand, in luminecent ink. I'm sure its been done before, but I haven't seen it yet. Yes, I am a nerd. No I can't recite Pi to fourteen hundred digits. 9 Digits is all I'll ever need since I wont be leaving the planet any time soon.

And then a couple baby devils on my shoulders, in homage to my mother's tat. Apparently he was a cartoon character akin to Casper. He's on my left, a simialer one but in a halloween angel costume on my right.

The more expensive and painful one will just be writing, 8 words, spiraled around my upper left arm. Hard to do, so I'll wait til I find an excellent artist who can space his lines correctly. I figure I'll have to shell out alot of money for excellence.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 05:50 by Wyr »

St.Germain

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #1870 on: 01 Jan 2009, 14:28 »

What 8 words, if you don't mind me asking?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1871 on: 01 Jan 2009, 18:58 »

Hm, that gives me an idea for a tattoo. A wordle image of Howl.

http://www.wordle.net/gallery/wrdl/414742/Howl
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2009, 19:00 by Ballard »
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

el Lenador

« Reply #1872 on: 03 Jan 2009, 01:21 »

i just ran through this thread in about 30 minutes, and i just want to add a few things:
-i know a couple dudes who have edge tattoos, and it just depends on the person who gets them. i know at least 3 who i know will never break edge, and i know one guy that did after he was 21, so i guess it just depends, but i think its kind of lame.
- is anyone a fan of choking victim/leftover crack? the singer, stza, has 'Bug Life' across his abdomen, and the 'geek life' one reminded me of it. (i'm pretty damn sure it's not about the movie bug life either, because it's a well known fact the dude had, and probably still has scabies.)

i really want tattoos but i'm broke. the first one(s) i'm getting are two birds, one swallow, and one cardinal it the traditional swallow style. one on the top of my right foot, one on the top of my left. the cardinal is for my dad, and i think i'm just going to have it outlined in red, cause i love the look of red tattoos. the other one is just for symmetry. the one after that is going to be the cover of "the handbook for the recently deceased" from beetlejuice. it's the sillhouette of a man and woman holding hands, with a sky backdrop. it's probably going to be inside an outline of nebraska. i want more, but i think i've posted enough for right now.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #1873 on: 03 Jan 2009, 01:39 »

I am pretty sure the "Geek Life" tattoo is based off the "Thug Life" tattoo that Tupac had, which is probably what the "Bug Life" tattoo is based off as well.

Also, if you are just getting the other bird for symmetry, why not get two cardinals? that would (in my mind) be more symmetrical than a cardinal and a swallow.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

el Lenador

« Reply #1874 on: 03 Jan 2009, 02:04 »

yeah, i know its probably like the 'thug life' one, but everyone else always thinks of the movie.

i don't know about another cardinal, originally it was going to be two swallows, but i changed it for my dad, cause he's from missouri, and he is a huge card's fan, therefore i was raised a huge cards fan, so it just made sense. your idea does too, i just haven't put in enough thought about it i guess, which could be a big mistake.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1875 on: 03 Jan 2009, 06:47 »

dude had, and probably still has scabies

That's so fucking punk rock.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

peach

« Reply #1876 on: 03 Jan 2009, 09:59 »

Fresh tattoo. Just got it

I'm getting color put in on Tuesday, I'll have another picture when its completely done. I'm excited, it is going to be the biggest tattoo I have so far.

mbb

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #1877 on: 03 Jan 2009, 12:22 »

9 Digits is all I'll ever need since I wont be leaving the planet any time soon.

I don't know if you've seen this: http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/031208/how-many-digits-of-pi-do-you-know.gif

But apparently you're a dick. (I am, too, I wouldn't worry...I stop at 13 digits because that's where I stop being able to sing them)
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2009, 12:23 by mbb »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1878 on: 03 Jan 2009, 16:35 »

27 is where I stop being able to sing it. I am such a dick.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #1879 on: 03 Jan 2009, 17:10 »

yeah, i know its probably like the 'thug life' one, but everyone else always thinks of the movie.

Movie? Of Tupac Shakur? Wait what?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1880 on: 03 Jan 2009, 17:19 »

I think maybe he was talking about the movie A Bug's Life?

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1881 on: 03 Jan 2009, 17:21 »

yes, that's what he said in his first post, unless there's another movie by that name i'm not aware of
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1882 on: 03 Jan 2009, 17:30 »

Oh. I was confused as to why "Geek Life" or "Bug Life" would not make you think of the "Thug Lyfe". Nevermind
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #1883 on: 03 Jan 2009, 17:44 »

Those tattoos are all pretty dumb if you aren't Tupac, however. Just sayin.

el Lenador

« Reply #1884 on: 03 Jan 2009, 21:08 »

i think the bug life one is classic. i saw leftover crack a couple years ago, and the dude was crazy. my friend was hanging out at the bouncing souls set at the fest and said stza was dancing  and being wild. i'm not the biggest fan of his music anymore, but i have to admit that hes pretty awesome.

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1885 on: 05 Jan 2009, 16:03 »

Ah dammit I dreamt about seeing someone about my tattoo last night and he was preparing his stuff but still hadn't drawn anything up for me and I was getting all stressed. No!

And I have to say IMO 99.5% of the time words are a bad idea. I know people who have them and love them but just... no. It looks tacky and ugly and is very often a tribute to something you may not like in 20 years. If you have to, pick something that symbolises whatever you want permanently etched into your flesh.

Although if you're really into it I'll concede the Howl thing does look pretty cool.

Along those lines I kinda like the idea of a cartoon-y tank girl-esque me wearing thai short and wraps (and yes, a top) with pit bulls and cats because I am pretty sure breed discrimination, animals and thai boxing will always be important to me. Wrt the latter, even if I don't train any more, it was the first thing in my life of up and down depression to make me happy. (It looks cooler in my head than I'm sure you're imagining). But I'm leaving that alone at the moment because I reeeeeeally don't want to regret it.  :-P

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1886 on: 05 Jan 2009, 18:46 »

I probably would never get a wordle tattoo, but Howl is something I've considered and will continue considering.

I dunno, maybe text tattoos are more likely to wear on you, but I've seen some really good ones on ModBlog.

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1887 on: 05 Jan 2009, 19:19 »

Ha, by their very nature I doubt text tattoos are something that would wear more on one individual than another. I've seen some that are better than others but ultimately never anything I think actually looks good. Personally.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1888 on: 05 Jan 2009, 19:33 »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #1889 on: 05 Jan 2009, 20:09 »

Oh man.

That is so good.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #1890 on: 05 Jan 2009, 20:33 »

They do look really nice, but do have a tendency to blur out quite a bit fairly quickly on some people, just a heads up
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #1891 on: 06 Jan 2009, 06:42 »

I'd have to agree, that one looks great, but i heard text tattoos tend to fade and blur faster than other tattoos.

Oh man guys, mines not even a month old and i'm jonesin for new work.  If it wasn't for the steep price tag i'd be done for  :laugh:
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Cicero

« Reply #1892 on: 06 Jan 2009, 08:53 »

Awesome tattoos guys.   I'm not a fan of getting one myself, but I love that Dickens one.   Damn, that's trill.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #1893 on: 06 Jan 2009, 10:15 »

Yeah, I'd never get one but I love Dickens tattoos for some reason.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #1894 on: 06 Jan 2009, 11:33 »

Awesome tattoos guys.   I'm not a fan of getting one myself, but I love that Dickens one.   Damn, that's trill.

1.  How long have you been waiting to use that word
2.  Why do you space more than twice after a period

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #1895 on: 06 Jan 2009, 12:25 »

This is not relevant to this thread besides being catty when he is obviously trying to make an effort. Give 'im a break.

Either, so guys, anyone on meebo has probably seen my under the sea ball-point pen funnery. Perhaps not the best place to ask, but what do you think would be fun to do? I've done octopus and flowers and jazz and I really love to self-art, it's not permanent but still body art perhaps? I am out of ideas right now! I figure I'll find one eventually that I like so much I'll have to get it permanently.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

peach

« Reply #1896 on: 06 Jan 2009, 12:35 »

I'm leaving now to get my tattoo filled in with color!

Cicero

« Reply #1897 on: 06 Jan 2009, 13:22 »

First off, I use it every day.   Just kinda common for me?    As far as double spaces after periods, I have no idea.   I just do.   Sorry.

But yeah, where do you guys get your tattoos done at?     My buddy and his parents run a place called Marked For Life Tattoo.   Google 'em up.   See some of the work!   If you're interested that is!

ackblom12

« Reply #1898 on: 06 Jan 2009, 14:48 »

My preferred place is Love/Hate Tattoo in Rochester, NY. Wonderful place with wonderful people and artist. Other benefit being my piercer's shop is in the downstairs area of the building.

Either, so guys, anyone on meebo has probably seen my under the sea ball-point pen funnery. Perhaps not the best place to ask, but what do you think would be fun to do? I've done octopus and flowers and jazz and I really love to self-art, it's not permanent but still body art perhaps? I am out of ideas right now! I figure I'll find one eventually that I like so much I'll have to get it permanently.

I see no problem with it, though honestly I'm curious why the thread hasn't been renamed to a Body Modification thread in geenral. Certainly a lot more than tats in here for a long while now.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1899 on: 06 Jan 2009, 15:34 »

The tattoo place in Oslo I've heard the most about (...not that I have heard of a lot :p) is Kunst med puls, and while it looks like they only do a certain technique, their stuff looks fucking awesome. I've seen several people on a couple of other forums who have gotten tattoos there, and while I'm not usually a huge fan of body art/mods in general, all of them have looked amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 97   Go Up