THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 May 2024, 13:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 788552 times)

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #2650 on: 02 Sep 2009, 11:36 »

Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2651 on: 02 Sep 2009, 12:56 »

Its a made up city that sunk into the desert.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2652 on: 02 Sep 2009, 19:25 »

AZ as in Arizona? or is this some other crazy AZ place like Atlaztica?
if its Arizona check out Blue Dragon Tattoo over at 51st ave and Northern, Vinny has done 3/4 of my tattoos and they've healed up real quick and nice (The two on my chest I barely felt until he got near my collar bone). Also the guy who owns the shop who's name I forget right now did my first one and I barely felt it.

Am I the only one immensely amused that Jace just gave a cross-street for a state?

A 113,998 square mile state?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2653 on: 02 Sep 2009, 19:31 »

Yeah, I actually noticed that too, but forgot to comment.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #2654 on: 02 Sep 2009, 20:02 »

Am I the only one immensely amused that Jace just gave a cross-street for a state?

I was slightly incredulous, but it's been a long day and I figured I was missing something.  Apparently not.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #2655 on: 02 Sep 2009, 20:13 »

if its Arizona check out Blue Dragon Tattoo over at 51st ave and Northern, Vinny has done 3/4 of my tattoos and they've healed up real quick and nice (The two on my chest I barely felt until he got near my collar bone). Also the guy who owns the shop who's name I forget right now did my first one and I barely felt it.

Not in the least. There's a good pizza place at 73rd and Queen Street, one of my favorite barbecue joints is at 3,997th and Main, and there's a swell little cafe over at 101, 231st and Union Avenue.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2656 on: 02 Sep 2009, 21:46 »

You realize that the only place that really matters in Arizona is the Phoenix area. If you don't live in the Phoenix area (and you live in AZ) then pick your shit up and move to the Phoenix area where these cross-streets are.

talen wolf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2657 on: 03 Sep 2009, 08:09 »

:wink:

Jace, thanks man, I know the area well, have a friend that lives up in that part of town. Ill check it out.

And your right if you dont live in the Phx metro area...move...I did...lol
Man she is 20 pounds of crazy in a 5 pound bag.

nichidani

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • nrrd grrl.
    • myspace.
« Reply #2658 on: 04 Sep 2009, 09:31 »

back on the subject of parents and tattoos, my mother took me to get my first one and paid for my second one. they were a combination birthday/graduation gift.

my father is indifferent; his girlfriend has more (wonderful) tattoos than i do, and he has mentioned that he is thinking of getting one. so, he hasn't really given me hell about mine.

i don't have grandparents who are sober or alive enough to know i have tattoos. :P

man, i would hate to have parents who didn't accept my mods. it would suck.
my fiancee's family is more conservative, but after a few "did it hurt" questions in the beginning, they don't really make note of it.

i am pretty worried about getting my next tattoo (shel silverstein's the giving tree) on my calf, just because i have barely enough money to afford it and i know my dad's probably going to give me some form of lecture about finance and how i should have spent the money otherwise.
kittens!

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #2659 on: 04 Sep 2009, 09:55 »

I bought my motorcycle off of someone who was selling it to pay for a tattoo.  I personally would rather have a motorcycle than a tattoo.  I do!  Of course, I could have used the money I spent on a motorcycle much more efficiently elsewhere, so I don't have much room to talk.  We all make sacrifices for things we enjoy.

p.s.  I'm considering getting a tattoo of a bass clef and treble clef on my left and right shoulder blades, respectively.  However, my parents (and really all of my family) are completely against tattoos, and I have a pretty good relationship with them for right now, which I don't want to ruin.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2660 on: 04 Sep 2009, 10:13 »

I think my mom would be ok with tattoos or more piercings as long as if they weren't on my face or super huge. (She doesn't like face metal. At all.) But seeing as how I don't plan on doing anything to my face, I think I'm good! She seemed interested in the spirals when I first told her about them. And if I do get a tattoo, I plan on getting it somewhere that is easily covered up, so she wouldn't be able to say it'd be unprofessional.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ackblom12

« Reply #2661 on: 04 Sep 2009, 10:21 »

I'm in the odd place of not being on bad terms with my family, but I'm pretty certain they know nothing about any of my current mods. They definitely do not know about my tongue split and they might know about my tattoo. I do not really bother trying to hide it from them but I also see no point in keeping them up to date on something that I know they are not terribly fond of. I do not think they would disown me (I'm not sure how much they'll hate the tongue split) but at the same time, I don't want the drama unless they specifically ask about it.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #2662 on: 04 Sep 2009, 10:32 »

My mum has three tattoos, two dolphin ones and a praying angel. She's thinking of getting a wolfy one next because of her aquirement of an Alaskan Malamute who she adores.

My dad has zilch, will never get one (though he said he's tempted to get one to annoy his mother) and doesn't approve of mine, but oh well.

And Bassist, if they're on your shoulders and easily hideable, I don't see why your family should have a problem. It's your body.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

ackblom12

« Reply #2663 on: 04 Sep 2009, 10:34 »

It's his body, but he's their baby boy. Keep that in mind. The mind of a parent is a strange and confusing place.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2664 on: 04 Sep 2009, 11:34 »

It is. My mom disapproves of two of my friends having small, barely noticible nose studs. She would blow a gasket if I got one, I'm pretty sure.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #2665 on: 04 Sep 2009, 13:20 »

It's his body, but he's their baby boy. Keep that in mind. The mind of a parent is a strange and confusing place.

This is exactly why I try to tow the line between "I am a respectful daughter" and "I'm nearly thirty, I don't pay for most of them it really is my choice...."

You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #2666 on: 04 Sep 2009, 16:01 »

It's just irritating because lately I've been getting on really well with my parents and so I tend to want to talk to them about my tattoos and my ideas for future ones (I already have four reasonably large tattoos anyway) but I keep having to remind myself that even though we get along well and I like them, we're not friends.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2667 on: 04 Sep 2009, 16:10 »

Oh hey, been meaning to ask... where in Sydney do you get your tats done? I'm thinking of getting one.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #2668 on: 05 Sep 2009, 05:07 »

I went to The Illustrated Man in Surry Hills for my first one. They do really good work, though they're kind of expensive, but I stopped going to them after I saw on their website that they used a picture of someone with a "Fuck Off, We're Full" tattoo for the front page. I got one at Skin Deep in Newtown but the only guy whose work I liked left to work in New Zealand and the rest of the people there are not very good. My last two tattoos I got at The House of Pain (I went to Matt but Alex does really good work as well). They're in Annandale, right next to the Annandale Hotel and the prices are really good as well. I'll be going back there as soon as I get a sketch done up for the Key to Hell tattoo.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #2669 on: 06 Sep 2009, 19:15 »

Ok tattoo thread, I need some advice.

I'll be spending the next few months in Florida.  I really want a new tattoo.  Since I'm in Florida, I was thinking of possibly getting my next tattoo at the Love Hate Tattoo Shop in Miami.  This is the tattoo shop that was featured on the television show Miami Ink.  I remember liking their work a few years ago when I would watch the show (before I was even old enough to get a tattoo); I especially liked Chris Garver's work.  Is this a good idea?  Have any of you ever been there?  It would be about a four hour drive each way for me to get there.  I don't quite know what I want yet, though I do have a good idea.  OR should I just wait til I get back home to New Jersey and get something from my regular shop?  Thanks!  -Kyle
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #2670 on: 06 Sep 2009, 20:55 »

I don't know about the shop in Miami, however, if you're near Sarasota, my friend Joel Illich is working there nowadays.  I've known him for damn near 20 years, and although he isn't my principal artist, he certainly did the tattoo I'm most well known for.

Anyway, he's excellent, very cool, and has worked with some amazing guys.  He's worth checking out for sure. 

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #2671 on: 07 Sep 2009, 00:01 »

One of my friends was just in America and wanted to get a tattoo done at the LA Ink place.  Just for one of the random artists (not the ones featured on the show) it was going to cost $300 an hour for a minimum 3 hour sitting.

seems excessive, although I don't know if the Miami place would be the same?
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #2672 on: 07 Sep 2009, 00:24 »

Yeah, these places that feature on all the Ink shows are known for being waaay more expensive than they need to be.

I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2673 on: 07 Sep 2009, 05:42 »

Its like going to PF Changs instead of a "China Grill" type restaurant. You are paying for a name, and getting the exact same quality.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #2674 on: 07 Sep 2009, 11:19 »

Chris Garver is a good idea and was an outstanding and well known artist before the show. I would pay silly money for a tatto by him, but he is really very good.

With him he could charge a lot without the exposure of the show.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #2675 on: 07 Sep 2009, 12:16 »

Something about the idea of getting a tattoo at one f those places just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #2676 on: 07 Sep 2009, 14:10 »

It would have to have a meanful story behind it and you've have to cry a bit. Tattoos are only allowed if you cry a bit.

Thankfully someone like Garver (Or any of the other good artists that have been on those shows) does conventions and guests at other shops.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #2677 on: 18 Sep 2009, 22:08 »

God damn it.

My boyfriend and I were discussing face tattoos, and I really want to show him that one of this girl with an outline of a black circle tattooed around her eye that was posted on modblog sometime back. I have been searching for over an hour(i got sidetracked by hot modded girls), and cannot find it. Anybody have the link?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

ackblom12

« Reply #2678 on: 18 Sep 2009, 23:46 »

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2679 on: 19 Sep 2009, 03:22 »

My design for my Alice in Wonderland half sleeve is currently in the works and I am so excited!  The girl sent me the outlined version today and it is so exactly what I want!  She is colouring it now so I will post it when it is done!
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #2680 on: 19 Sep 2009, 13:41 »

Finally ordered stuff to start my stretching.

YEAHHHHHH
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2681 on: 19 Sep 2009, 15:52 »

I don't like that tattoo. I dunno if it's the photo or not, but the lines look a bit wonky.

And I was so hoping it was a monocle tattoo. That would be kind of awesome.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2682 on: 23 Sep 2009, 00:41 »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE guys it is done!  I wish I had the money and chosen a tattoo artist so I could get it right now!

Soon, soon it will be on me.  Evil ALice in Wonderland half sleeve design!  Made just for me!

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #2683 on: 23 Sep 2009, 01:42 »

That is lovely! I really like the umbrella.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #2684 on: 23 Sep 2009, 01:45 »

Sorry, but we don't take kindly to images in people's signatures.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
« Reply #2685 on: 23 Sep 2009, 03:22 »

Jodie that is awesome! Hurrgh. When do you reckon you'll get it?

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #2686 on: 23 Sep 2009, 12:08 »

I know it's meant to be in cartoony/caricature style, but I cannot wrap my mind around her legs and feet.  The composition is pretty cool though, and I really like the teacups!

talen wolf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2687 on: 23 Sep 2009, 14:19 »

So what tats have yall seen that you looked at it and wow...I so want that one. ???
Man she is 20 pounds of crazy in a 5 pound bag.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2688 on: 23 Sep 2009, 15:14 »

That is just her drawing style phooey, I have always loved how she does legs and feet <3

I will be getting it when I have money again (moving and buying lots of nice new furniture and also going overseas to hang out with a bunch of jerks has depleted my savings to NOTHING) and also when I choose a tattoo artist who will be able to get it as close to the original as possible!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2689 on: 23 Sep 2009, 22:04 »

Soon, soon it will be on me.  Evil ALice in Wonderland half sleeve design!  Made just for me!

Holy fucking shit I used to date the girl who drew that picture. (She is psychotic) That is fucking whacky and more than a little upsetting.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2009, 22:07 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2690 on: 24 Sep 2009, 02:32 »

WOOOAAAHH...WOOOAAAH.  I have been in love with her art for yeeaars.  Small world!

She was really lovely to me, but I was not dating her, and also was talking to her via internet!

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #2691 on: 24 Sep 2009, 11:50 »

I don't like that tattoo. I dunno if it's the photo or not, but the lines look a bit wonky.

And I was so hoping it was a monocle tattoo. That would be kind of awesome.

Agreed. If you are going to get a facial tattoo make damn sure it's well done. I would like to get a couple of small shapes around each eye, but I'm a wuss.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2692 on: 24 Sep 2009, 11:56 »

I'd never, ever have the balls to get a facial tattoo, even if I wanted one. Not while we live in a society that still regularly airbrushes away the tattoos of NBA players before they can be put on a magazine cover, at any rate.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

ackblom12

« Reply #2693 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:04 »

IfI recall that tat correctly, a lot of the distortion with it very likely had to do with the fact that it was both fresh and swollen and the fact that it's a simple line facial tat over multiple areas of different depth on her face. It would be pretty easy for it to appear off even in the best of circumstances.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2694 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:17 »

Yeah, I know a very good and experienced artist (dude does my father's tattoos and has been doing it for longer than I've been alive) who has said that the tattoos that he struggled with early on tended to be the simplest ones, like say, the classic smiley face in a circle. People know what it's supposed to look like, and they expect it to look the same as something drawn on a flat surface. There's also curves in the art and there's pretty much no way of covering up or compensating for mistakes because simplicity is really the whole damned point. With enough experience and good composition skills you can get pretty creative with a complex design, but simple things over a large area can really bite you in the ass.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2009, 12:21 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #2695 on: 24 Sep 2009, 13:20 »

Fully agreed, which is probably why a lot of GOOD tattooists will tell people when their ideas won't work as a tattoo or may not look so hot. I think a smaller circle would've looked better.

She is pretty smokin' though & I admire her gumption & commitment totally.

(I'm glad I got to use the word gumption, it is my word of the day.)

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #2696 on: 24 Sep 2009, 18:40 »

Jodie, that is an awesome drawing/idea for a tattoo. I love how the White Rabbit and the Cheshire Cat are done.
*bloop bloop bloop*

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2697 on: 25 Sep 2009, 13:38 »

The artist gave her Louboutins!! Shoe boner!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #2698 on: 25 Sep 2009, 14:37 »

What? How on earth can you tell that? They look like every pair of black patent hidden-platform pumps I have ever seen. Except, y'know, stylised.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2699 on: 25 Sep 2009, 14:55 »

Red bottoms, though I GUESS a lot of ladies who can't afford actual Louboutins have been painting them with fingernail polish. It is kind of like when you see a business lady in a "Chanel Suit"; you can be fairly sure it's Chanel and if it isn't it's just a Chanel knockoff. Or how you can tell something is Pucci by the print.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 97   Go Up