THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 12:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copyright  (Read 2956 times)

THOI

Copyright
« on: 19 Mar 2006, 08:31 »

Hello Everyone! Sorry to be a nagging sod in my first post, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with a small detail.

I am in England, Britainshire, and I am thinking of starting my own webcomic. I have (hand) drawn my characters, and I now want to prove my copyright of them. To prove copyright, I need to send my work through the post, to myself. That way it get's a date on the postcode, and as it is unopened, I can prove that they existed on a certain date should I need to. What I would like to know, is if I need to send the original drawings of my characters or if it's okay to send photocopies. And do I need to put in a letter explaining what the characters are for, the comic's name and whathaveyou in with it as well? I thought there might be someone on these lovely forums that could help me out with this. Any advice would be appreciated, and once again, I'm sorry for doing this with my first post. Terribly rude, I know. Anyway, thank you very much, I'll let you know when/if the comic ever gets online, and  will now go and be a proper forumer. Ta!

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Copyright
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2006, 09:58 »

As well and good as that idea is, that's called "Poor Man's Copyright". In the long run it is definitely not the best way to get the job done.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

THOI

Copyright
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2006, 10:49 »

Quote from: ForteBass
As well and good as that idea is, that's called "Poor Man's Copyright". In the long run it is definitely not the best way to get the job done.

I should also mention a lack of money then...

grrraham

Copyright
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2006, 17:34 »

What the hell are you copyrighting them for?!
Does this really seem necessary to you?
Do you know how many legal battles there have been over the misuse of webcomic characters?
Neither do I, but if I had to guess I'd say the number was in the zero range.

Be more worried about making money with your characters than with other people making money with them.
Be more worried about making decent comics than with making money from them.

The internet has no respect for your pitiful copyrights anyway.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Copyright
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2006, 17:57 »

Adio got into shit with some copyright infringement before. I'll show some more specific links if I can find it, but I guess the big thing is not to be a prick just because some guy wants to be cautious.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Copyright
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2006, 18:45 »

Not to mention Squidi vs.. well, everyone at some point. And even Jeph has mentioned having problems with people stealing his art.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

THOI

Copyright
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2006, 04:47 »

Quote from: grrraham
What the hell are you copyrighting them for?!
Does this really seem necessary to you?
Do you know how many legal battles there have been over the misuse of webcomic characters?
Neither do I, but if I had to guess I'd say the number was in the zero range.

Be more worried about making money with your characters than with other people making money with them.
Be more worried about making decent comics than with making money from them.

The internet has no respect for your pitiful copyrights anyway.

1. I don't want anyone stealing them.
2. Yes.
3. Very Few.
4. I want to make a decent webcomic without fear of someone taking the characters and making money from my work. I do it for the love, not the money.
5. I don't care what the internet thinks about my copyrights. Anyone steals my work, they feel my wrath. They need to do something original themselves.
6. Thank you for ignoring my question entirely.

~

Does anyone know of any websites or anything that would help me out with this? Or know any lawyers they could ask for advice? What did you guys do (if you make webcomics (duh))?

mrtuesday42

Copyright
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2006, 13:59 »

massive discussion on interact forums...i think under the "paypal" topic within web discussion...ill look up the link...pretty much everything u didnt need to know bout copyrite laws...
http://www.interactcomics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=251

merry xmas british matey...i can say taht cuz im in england

THOI

Copyright
« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2006, 03:52 »

Cheers! That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Further information on this website, too: http://whatiscopyright.org/.

By sending myself a copy of my work, it gets copyright proof, but to get it recognised as copyright by an official source, which costs money, gives a better stance in legal proceedings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up