THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 16:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: last dvd you bought/rented/borrowed/watched  (Read 40838 times)

Rawr_Im_A_Melon

last dvd you bought/rented/borrowed/watched
« Reply #100 on: 25 Jun 2006, 00:40 »

strange that this topic would ask this question seeing as though i go to the rental store everyday of my life.

last movie i watched was prime. it was alright.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #101 on: 10 Jul 2006, 11:05 »

Today I bought an absolutely beautiful made-for-video move called 'Ninja Terminator', 28 Days Later, and a 3-in-one Bela Lugosi dealy with Invisble Ghost, Scared to Death and White Zombie. All for under a tenner. I also ordered Dark Star.

Fun DVD watchin' times ahead.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Maedros

« Reply #102 on: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11 »

The last DVD I watched was Where the Buffalo Roam. It's about Hunter S. Thompson and his life. Well, during the Nixon administration anyway. Stars Bill Murray as Dr. Thompson and Peter Boyle as his lawyer.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #103 on: 10 Jul 2006, 12:34 »

Season 1 of House!

God, I love this show.  House is such an ass . . .

a few quotes:

Dr. Gregory House: Chicks dig this
[waves cane]
Dr. Gregory House: It's better than a puppy!

Dr. Gregory House: You know me. Hostility makes me shrink up like a...
[pauses]
Dr. Gregory House: I can't think of a non-sexual metaphor.

gambollingsundae

« Reply #104 on: 10 Jul 2006, 13:35 »

the last ACTUAL dvd i watch was either transporter 2 or mirrormask.  I say either because, even though I watched transporter two more recently, I wandered away inthe middle, and that makes mirrormask the last movie that I watched start to finish.

I say ACTUAL dvd because the other day i watched a bunch o' Fullmetal Alchemist on dvd

chupones

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • A mystery wrapped in an enigma stuck in suburbia.
« Reply #105 on: 10 Jul 2006, 14:05 »

Just got MI-5 (or Spooks) seasons 2 & 3 for an early birthday gift.
I may not be a Flintstone, but I'll certainly make your bed rock. - Phil Ken Sebben

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #106 on: 10 Jul 2006, 14:24 »

Man, I did not even know they had Spooks over in Amerikhuh, let alone under a different name.

I used to be addicted to that show, but then the cool guy left and it was never the same.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Bunnyman

« Reply #107 on: 10 Jul 2006, 23:02 »

Hmm...
last two I saw were "Ghost World" and X-Files Season1/Disc4.

Ghost World = awesome.  And Thora Birch (well, her character, anyway) is pretty bitchin'.  Self-destructively so, p'raps, but whatever.  I can relate.

And a remarkably good batch of X-Files episodes.  The one about Amish-a-likes who are actually Aliens who transmute between genders was nifty.  Though I hope Chris Carter gets over his habit of using the "FBI agents chasing characters in abandoned factories" shtick in every episode.

Houdinimachine

• http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
« Reply #108 on: 11 Jul 2006, 09:51 »

I saw Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, and it was pretty damn good. I really wish someone would make a proper orchestral score for it. I absoluted hated the music in this. It was very silent film-ish. Other than that, the plot was brilliant and Mifune has to be one of my favorite actors of all time.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #109 on: 11 Jul 2006, 10:18 »

*batteries not included. does anyone remember this movie? it was made in the 80s and i loved it when i was a kid, and i found it on dvd. if you like robots, you should see this, because the robots have babies!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #110 on: 11 Jul 2006, 10:19 »

Firefly complete series.

'But...she was all naked and articulate!"

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #111 on: 11 Jul 2006, 11:11 »

the rabbit proof fence. about half-aborigine girls trying to get back home, and based on a true story.

it was interesting, and i think i want to learn more about australian history now. honestly though it was not as emotional as i was expecting.

and a movie that i rented semi-recently that totally made me cry - man i tear up just thinking about it: nobody knows. also based on a true story, where a mother basically abandons her kids in an apartment for several months and nobody intervenes.

messynessie

« Reply #112 on: 10 Aug 2006, 18:16 »

Quote from: iamyourpirate
*batteries not included. does anyone remember this movie? it was made in the 80s and i loved it when i was a kid, and i found it on dvd. if you like robots, you should see this, because the robots have babies!

i LOVE that film!!
last dvd(s) i watched was the omen trilogy
i found out that one of my new housemates had never seen the originals so i had to make sure she saw them she agrees with me that the decapitation in the first one is her favourite scene too!! :)

elcapitan

« Reply #113 on: 10 Aug 2006, 21:27 »

Quote from: ruyi
it was interesting, and i think i want to learn more about australian history now. honestly though it was not as emotional as i was expecting.

You'll find it distressing. We've treated our indigenous population absolutely appallingly. The worst thing is that we continue to do so - the amount of slyly institutionalised racism still inherent in Australian indigenous affairs is enough to make my blood boil.

But back to movies... On the weekend, I picked up copies of Mad Max 2, Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, and The Crow. I hadn't seen the last two before, and I hadn't seen MM2 since I was a wee tacker, so I was looking forward to them.

I haven't watched The Crow yet. MM:BT is fun, and visually it's pretty arresting, but it's nothing to write home about.

Mad Max 2, though... This movie is an absolute gem. Some of the most spectacular stunts I've ever seen in a film, and because there's pretty much no special effects used (just modified muscle cars and trucks smashing together in the Outback), it doesn't look particularly dated. I can't recommend this highly enough. Now I just need to find a copy of the original Mad Max.

logosmonkey

« Reply #114 on: 10 Aug 2006, 21:34 »

Netflix just sent me Shane McGowan: If I Should Fall From Grace, I'll be watching that tomorrow night, I went and saw Goonies at our flashback movie Thursdays! God I forgot how good that movie is, and on the big screen!

Ghostwriter

« Reply #115 on: 10 Aug 2006, 21:45 »

Sin City.  Man, I've never read the comics, but I wasn't so hot for it.  There were some memorable sequences, but I honestly got bored watching guys save hookers for over two hours.  My biggest issue was that it seemed like all style and no substance -- pretty cool characters, but with no emotional grounding to get invested in them.

I also watched Disc 3 of The X-Files Season 1.  It's good.

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #116 on: 10 Aug 2006, 21:47 »

I still haven't watched Frida and Joe vs. the Volcano which I got from the library. They're overdue on my brother's card, too. I'll try to watch Frida tonight, but... oh well.

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #117 on: 11 Aug 2006, 04:58 »

OMG RUYIIII YET ANOTHER REASON WHY I <3 YOU so much!!

Dare mo shiranai (Nobody Knows) made you cry :(! Just the very thought of it makes me want to ball up and hide in a little corner where I'll just sob my eyes out. I can't believe it was based on a true story, as well. And this sort of thing happens all over the world. GAH I hate negligent mothers and how cruel kids can be to one another.

PS: Ruyi you would probably like "All About Lily Chou Chou" :).

Anyway, none of that.. :O...

Last movie I borrowed/watched? I honestly can't remember, it's been so long since I've actually rented a movie and watched it (bittorent *cough*). The most recent one would probably be Anchorman, since it was the ONLY DVD my brother brought on our trip to Asia. However, I'm going to see Little Miss Sunshine tomorrow in theaters, and that's a much better piece of info to share, IMO <3.

cakeandsoda!!

« Reply #118 on: 11 Aug 2006, 10:44 »

i rented Green Street Hooligans and L'auberge Espagnole. very recommended! especially the latter, it's not particularly quirky and 'magical' in the vein of french movies that people have come to expect from the overused precedent of Amelie, but it's entertaining and completely captures what it means to be european, or more strictly, a young adult.

'hooligans' was quite good, i really like elijah wood as a tough guy! and the whole english premiere league tiffs and rival history was super interesting, though i haven't gotten into football since my fangirly 'darren fletcher!' junior high days.

Steyr_Junkie

« Reply #119 on: 11 Aug 2006, 12:29 »

I picked up Syriana last night. It seemed pretty good, but I missed about an hour of it when i tried hitting on the chick who moved in next door.

strawberry_gashes

« Reply #120 on: 25 Aug 2006, 12:15 »

The first season oh House, MD.
Sweet.

Ghostwriter

« Reply #121 on: 25 Aug 2006, 12:47 »

House is pretty cool.

The last two movies I watched were Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2.  Totally self-indulgent and over-the-top with style, but I liked them for that.  Nothing thought provoking, but definitely fun as hell.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #122 on: 25 Aug 2006, 14:43 »

I just watched Walk the Line. It was pretty good, though I wondered did Johnny Cash have a hare-lip or is that just how Phoenix looks?

Tomorrow I am finally going to watch Serenity, 'bout time too.

Ghostwriter

« Reply #123 on: 25 Aug 2006, 15:30 »

Quote from: Bunnyman
...X-Files Season1/Disc4...a remarkably good batch of X-Files episodes.  The one about Amish-a-likes who are actually Aliens who transmute between genders was nifty.

Agreed, but I thought Gender Bender was kind of silly.  Kind of plot-holey too.  Actually, it kind of just seemed like a stupid cautionary tale for not having promiscuous sex with strangers in nightclubs.

Lazarus was an awesome episode though, especially because of the part when the bad guy is threatening Scully and he says "I'll make you stone cold" in that growly voice.  That's a cinematic gem of writing, folks.

MikeMcG

« Reply #124 on: 25 Aug 2006, 20:35 »

I just finished watching Fight Club. It was very awesome. I'm going to watch it through again to see if I can find the subliminal Tylers and the penis at the end.

mysteriousbriefcase

« Reply #125 on: 25 Aug 2006, 22:53 »

i've seen fight club far too many times.  when i like a movie i tend to overwatch it (see: snakes on a plane).  i recently borrowed pulp fiction though, as i'm on a samuel l jackson kick.

ChaosTriangle

« Reply #126 on: 26 Aug 2006, 21:17 »

Last movie I bought was the A Better Tomorrow trilogy.  They had a box set for 25 bucks.  Haven't watched the third one yet, but the first one and the ending scene of the second make it worth the price.  What can I say?  I'm a sucker for Hong Kong Blood Opera.

logosmonkey

« Reply #127 on: 26 Aug 2006, 21:41 »

I watched Night Watch this afternoon (thank you netflix) It's a very interesting movie. The direction is superb, and the story is quite intersting. I'll be happy to see the other two.
Right now I'm watching Pavement:slow century ... it's freaking pavement!

chupones

« Reply #128 on: 29 Aug 2006, 20:51 »

Purchased today:

Double Indemnity Special Edition
Tick (animated) - Season 1
Samurai Champloo box set
I may not be a Flintstone, but I'll certainly make your bed rock. - Phil Ken Sebben

TheLanyard

« Reply #129 on: 30 Aug 2006, 11:38 »

Sigh....I saw Just My Luck.  Yep.  Lindsey Lohan.  If for some insane reason, you feel like subjecting yourself to this, learn from this idiot that it is NOT a good idea.

Batteries not included...man.  I remember that being a sweet movie.  I'm going to have to go looking for that one now...

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #130 on: 31 Aug 2006, 21:44 »

I am right in the middle of watching "Following."  Anyone else see this movie yet?  It's a few years old, Chris Nolan directed it - I believe it was his first but i'm not certain
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

srymusic

« Reply #131 on: 05 Sep 2006, 20:43 »

series two of The Mighty Boosh :D

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #132 on: 05 Sep 2006, 21:36 »

Up to episode 4 of Season 3 of the Wire.  Pre-ordered it as soon as I found out it was being released in the U.S.; it finally arrived Monday last week and I watched through it all (12 one-hour episodes) in three days.  Now I'm watching it the obligatory second time around, at a slower pace, to appreciate it more and pick up on the subtleties and the things I missed the first time around - which in the Wire, is always a lot.

BEST.  SHOW.  EVER.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #133 on: 05 Sep 2006, 22:04 »

I just finished watching American Beauty, which is probably one of the 10 best movies I have ever seen...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

qtownstegy

• Larger than most fish
  • I lie to myself constantly!
« Reply #134 on: 07 Sep 2006, 16:04 »

Quote from: iamyourpirate

Great old movie, and really touching the way the runt was saved, then how the whole family came back, plus.

One of my friends bought Silent Hill, so we watched that.
Quote from: Blue Kitty
"Man, why is it that whores find my Myspace?  I mean, my name is the Blue Kitty, not, 'Hey whore, I will add you'"

Bunnyman

« Reply #135 on: 13 Sep 2006, 00:10 »

Graveyard of Honor.

Whee, Kinji Fukasaku.

bujiatang

« Reply #136 on: 13 Sep 2006, 07:49 »

Metronomic & Co. vol 1.  got it through netflix.  aucking fwesome.  Reolution of the Crabs, wild Potato, and Geraldine were the favorites.

paholler

« Reply #137 on: 15 Sep 2006, 19:43 »

Maria Full of Grace.  Great movie, and it helped me to remember a bit more of my Spanish, though not enough to watch without the subtitles.

chupones

« Reply #138 on: 19 Sep 2006, 14:31 »

Purchased today:

Battlestar Galactica season 2.5
Hustle season 1
Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Dazed and Confused Criterion Collection
Hard Candy
The Proposition (awesome Aussie western flick)

gargoylekitty

« Reply #139 on: 20 Sep 2006, 13:48 »

Bought Kamikaze Girls the other day, one of my favorite non-horror Japanese movies.

chupones

Re: last dvd you bought/rented/borrowed/watched
« Reply #140 on: 18 Oct 2006, 15:14 »

Purchased The Wire - Season 3, Scrubs - Season 4, Harvey Birdman - Volume 4, and Cache (fantastic foreign flick).

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #141 on: 19 Oct 2006, 07:25 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Ninja Terminator

That is actually the best movie ever made ever. :-)

I watched trainspotting again last night. I quite like that movie.

Rayne of Terror

« Reply #142 on: 19 Oct 2006, 13:18 »

i just bought over the hedge for my wee one.... she loved it.... and i thought it had some pretty funny parts..... as for movies for me... i just bought dungeons and dragons.... its my guilty pleasure :D

TheGrinder

« Reply #143 on: 20 Oct 2006, 01:24 »

The last DVD I watched was Redemption. Awesome movie.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #144 on: 20 Oct 2006, 02:17 »

The Wire - Season 3

My man!  Spread the gospel, brother.

Season 3's a slow burner, even more so than previous seasons, but it gets under your skin.  I'm finishing up watching season 1 (yet again) and I'm feeling primed for an encore of 3.

Maky

« Reply #145 on: 27 Oct 2006, 07:45 »

Last DVDs I bought (bought two on the same day) were Misery and Dreamcatcher. Misery I completely and absolutely love, Kathy Bates was just genius in it, and it's one of the best movie adaptations from any Stephen King book (My poor master of horrors, has to watch as his books get slaughtered every damned time...) Same for Dreamcatcher, the acting is just so great and I fell in love with every one of the main characters :D

glisp42

« Reply #146 on: 30 Oct 2006, 23:42 »

Bought: Lord Of War.  Great movie

Rented:
Lucky Number Slevin.  Awesome
The Transporter.  In the words of Alfred E. Nuemen, "Yeeeccchhhhhhh!"  I couldn't finish watching it it was so bad.
The Omega Man.  Charleton Heston kicking zombie ass in a post apocolyptic world?  Yes please!
Brotherhood Of The Wolf.  I loved it.

Watched: Ronin.  Man that movie never gets old and the gearhead in me always goes nuts during the car chase with the Mercedes 6.9.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #147 on: 31 Oct 2006, 13:30 »

night of the living dead - original black and white, gotta love the classics
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

arcturus

« Reply #148 on: 01 Nov 2006, 22:02 »

I believe that the last video dvd i watched was van Helsing...

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #149 on: 10 Nov 2006, 17:21 »

I just bought X-Men 3: The Last Stand. It plays a lot better on the small screen than it does at the movies. Some of the deleted scenes were really good as well but I can see why they would have messed with the pacing and direction of the film.

I've also been catching up with the first season of Carnivale, my brother is getting me season 2 for Christmas so I have to be up to date. I HAVE TO BE!!!!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up