THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 21:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Action Cartoons  (Read 23641 times)

Spinless

Action Cartoons
« on: 01 Apr 2006, 06:13 »

Which are your favourites?
I think the old X-men series and Justice League Unlimited are pretty much the coolest ones.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Action Cartoons
« Reply #1 on: 01 Apr 2006, 06:29 »

Old X-Men, without a doubt.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Action Cartoons
« Reply #2 on: 01 Apr 2006, 19:57 »

X-men was the shit, undoubtedly. I don't think I ever saw the end of that series either, but it wouldn't surprise me if they just left it open.

Manta Ray

Action Cartoons
« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2006, 06:28 »

batman with the square jaws, every time.

That guy

Action Cartoons
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2006, 07:33 »

The most underrated action cartoon was without a doubt Exo-Squad.  People actually died in that show.  It got pretty deep until the end when the story got really weird.  The beginning was great, tons of plot, deep characters cool robot flying machines and lets not forget the death, it had it all.

thehoopiestfrood

Action Cartoons
« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr 2006, 09:05 »

Oh, I love so many of them. Batman:TAS, Batman: Gotham Knights, Batman Beyond was fantastic, and Justice League (Unlimited) was awesome too. Most series involving Bruce Timm seem to be excellent.

The 90s X-Men and Spiderman I loved too.

Hell unless they are really awful, I will usually watch any of them given the chance.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Action Cartoons
« Reply #6 on: 02 Apr 2006, 09:27 »

Oh yeah, Batman of the Future (Batman Beyond) was pretty rad. With the suit and all. Which was the Batman series that had Harley Quinn in it? She was my fave batman character.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

nescience

Action Cartoons
« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2006, 01:55 »

That's TAS, a great after-school delight for me when I was growing up.  I also enjoyed (newer) Cowboy Bebop.

soap

Action Cartoons
« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2006, 03:04 »

i saw a brand new batman series on one of the cartoon channels not so long ago and compared to those square jawed classics it was rubbish.
no wit or darkness or anything, just some explosions and backflips, but i guess thats what the kids are after these days.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Action Cartoons
« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2006, 13:11 »

Anyone catch adult swim on April Fool's?  Then you know what cartoon I'm referencing here.  (at first I thought it was the Centurions!)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Action Cartoons
« Reply #10 on: 03 Apr 2006, 14:58 »

yeah those are pretty good.......but they do not compare to http://www.srn.it/animevideo/images/streetsharksquattropinneallorizzonte.JPG">Street Sharks!

just kidding. but that show did rule because it made no sense. x-men and batman all the way. i used to to like the old spiderman alot...its a little cheesier than x-men and batman though. batman had gangsters, blackmail, and sinisterness (not a word); and x-men had gnarly mutants and giant robots.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

soap

Action Cartoons
« Reply #11 on: 03 Apr 2006, 16:11 »

street sharks ! haha .. they were no match for the biker mice from mars of course

does anyone else remember jayce and the wheeled warriors ?
every episode was basically exactly the same and the whole premise of the show was complete nonsense *but* it was a brilliant slice of 80s scifi fantasy cartoon action.

that partly computer animated 90s spiderman was excellent too, not as good as x-men but still ace.

Gryff

Action Cartoons
« Reply #12 on: 03 Apr 2006, 16:31 »

Oh yes, Batman: TAS was mega-excellent.

Does anyone remembre the stupid Fantastic Four theme song from around the same time? Also, they did music videos called "Clobberin' Time" and "Flame On". It was ridiculous, but I used to watch it because it was Marvel.

jariku

Action Cartoons
« Reply #13 on: 03 Apr 2006, 17:03 »

Transformers.

thehoopiestfrood

Action Cartoons
« Reply #14 on: 03 Apr 2006, 17:11 »

The Batman is balls, which is sad as X-Men:Evolution actually got pretty good as the seasons progressed, and ended in such an awesome way with a preview of things to come. It started off kinda crappy but once they got away from the whole High School thing it improved massively.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Action Cartoons
« Reply #15 on: 03 Apr 2006, 17:52 »

Quote from: Scandanavian War Machine
yeah those are pretty good.......but they do not compare to http://www.srn.it/animevideo/images/streetsharksquattropinneallorizzonte.JPG">Street Sharks!

just kidding. but that show did rule because it made no sense.

FUCK

YES
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Action Cartoons
« Reply #16 on: 03 Apr 2006, 18:02 »

Alright... *cracks knuckles*

there was:

SWAT Kats
COW Boys from Moo Mesa
Capt. Bucky O'Hare
Bots Master
Disney Cartoons-
  Tail Spin
  Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers
  Duck Tales
  Gummi Bears
  Gargoyles(!)
  Aladdin (yes, it had action quiet!)
BattleToads had a cartoon for awhile
The original Sonic cartoon from sat. mornings (He's the FASTEST THING ALLIIIIIIVE)
Double Dragon (with the swords, masks, etc.  Anyone?  Anyone?)
Samurai Pizza Cats
Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (with Joey Lawrence no less)
I think someone covered TMNT already

Annd... that's all I got for now.

jariku

Action Cartoons
« Reply #17 on: 03 Apr 2006, 18:55 »

but they do not compare to http://www.srn.it/animevideo/images/streetsharksquattropinneallorizzonte.JPG">Street Sharks!

Holy shit, I never about the cartoon. We only got the action figures in Finland.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
Action Cartoons
« Reply #18 on: 03 Apr 2006, 19:02 »

Um...  I personally loved GI Joe.  There was also some cartoon where people had Battletech-esque (albiet much smaller) machines to fight or something like that.  Anyone remember what it was called?  I have a number of the toys.

The Street Sharks were jawsome!

Quote from: LiterSize
SWAT Kats

QFT!  The first thing that came to mind.

The original Sonic cartoon from sat. mornings (He's the FASTEST THING ALLIIIIIIVE)

Hellz yeah!
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Action Cartoons
« Reply #19 on: 03 Apr 2006, 20:16 »

Fuck, I remember the Biker Mice from Mars. Childrens TV producers smoke so much crack...

There's this one series I remember really loving. It was a fantasy themed one, with the classic thing of kids from this world being sucked into another world and battling evil and so forth. I think they got in through a fair-ground ride. It may have been the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon, but the info I can dig up on that doesn't spark any memories for me. There was one episode where they were trapped in a sort of spider web above a bottomless pit. I remember that one because the idea of a bottomless pit provoked serious thought from my young mind.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also, there's totally not enough mention of Captain Planet here. That big green man in red undies taught me to love nature! And also, thinking back to that sort of thing...JAMES BOND JUNIOR!

Fuck, I can't believe I forgot that. I could still probably sing most of the theme song.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Action Cartoons
« Reply #20 on: 04 Apr 2006, 00:11 »

B. Bassist:  You're talking about EXO Squad?  Dammit, I knew I missed stuff!  THere was a battletech cartoon also, about the Steiner Bros.

Khar:  Did this cartoon involve a blonde kid w/ a light bow?  B/c I think you may be onto something there.  And yes, I totally missed the boat forgetting James Bond Jr.

Go-Bots, Rock Lords, the Godzilla Cartoon, Space Ghost

Anyone remember COPS?  With Longarm, Bulletproof, etc.?  Then there was also a Police Academy cartoon, the Toxic Avengers (considering the source material, blurgh on that)

Zen the INtergalactic ninja?  And I completely forgot to mention Dinosaucers.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Action Cartoons
« Reply #21 on: 04 Apr 2006, 03:56 »

Project G.e.e.K.e.R.

a very obscure show from 1996, this was one of my favorite shows, it was a beautiful brilliant show and was very highly rated. (which is strange considering no one remembers it. It was caught in an unfortunate time when network TV was required to have educational programs, and geeker was canned in favor of low-budget live action shows, bill nye being the only shining example of these.

It was indeed the death of the saturday morning.

let us remember her well, she was good to us growing up.
also israel

Bastardous Bassist

Action Cartoons
« Reply #22 on: 04 Apr 2006, 10:14 »

B. Bassist:  You're talking about EXO Squad?

GIS to find out if I recognize anything I see...

Yup, that's it.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

soap

Action Cartoons
« Reply #23 on: 04 Apr 2006, 11:24 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
It was a fantasy themed one, with the classic thing of kids from this world being sucked into another world and battling evil and so forth. I think they got in through a fair-ground ride. It may have been the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon

sounds like D&D to me.

DinoRiders anyone ?

and what was that show with micheal jordan, wayne gretski (sp?) and some american footballer where they had sports related superpowers ?

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Action Cartoons
« Reply #24 on: 04 Apr 2006, 14:00 »

Haha, that one was All-Stars!  For some reason Gretzky was a bulimic...

Reminds me of the Little Shop of Horrors cartoon and Hammer cartoon that were on around the same time.

Electric Monk

Action Cartoons
« Reply #25 on: 04 Apr 2006, 14:31 »

Oh man, Beast Wars was the best. Seriously. Dinobot's death episode was so awesome.

That original Sonic series was awesome too. Whatever happened to that show? It was so dark, with Robotnik experimenting on people and Sonic's uncle... That made my little mind think.

Also, anybody remember Samurai Pizza Cats? That show had the best character art designs EVER.

nescience

Action Cartoons
« Reply #26 on: 04 Apr 2006, 15:28 »

Do we have any ReBoot fans here?  It was that early computer-animated Saturday morning cartoon...

Gryff

Action Cartoons
« Reply #27 on: 04 Apr 2006, 15:33 »

Actually Reboot was a really great show. I liked how there was an actual story that ran through the whole thing. I even liked it when they changed the whole show around and made the characters age 10 years or whatever.

I never saw how it ended though. Anyone know?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Action Cartoons
« Reply #28 on: 04 Apr 2006, 16:06 »

sonic the hedgehog, gi joe, gargoyles. agreed.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

soap

Action Cartoons
« Reply #29 on: 04 Apr 2006, 16:09 »

anyone remember the pirates of dark water ?

a misfit crew of heroes trying to save the world from some sort of living oil slick while battling evil pirates. there was a monkey/bird hybrid and the hero used half a magic sword (that had, predictably, once belonged to his now missing father)

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Action Cartoons
« Reply #30 on: 04 Apr 2006, 20:57 »

REboot:  It ended spectacularly.  I won't spoil it though, but you can find the final episode on youtube.  

Pirates of Dark Water was good too, but it wasn't around long enough to finish the story.  Did you ever look at the voice actors in that?  Some pretty big names!  (Hector Elizondo, for one.  Tim Curry for another!)

...this made me think of another, but I forgot it now.

uHm, CBS storybreak?  Did we cover Mighty Max already?   There WAS a highlander cartoon, but it was utter tripe.

soap

Action Cartoons
« Reply #31 on: 04 Apr 2006, 21:11 »

There WAS a highlander cartoon, but it was utter tripe.

the one in the far far future with conor mcclouds flowing ginger ponytail/muller and weird green armour and some crazy ceremony with glowing swords instead of violence and decapitation ?
yeah that was rubbish , but i loved it at the time

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
Action Cartoons
« Reply #32 on: 05 Apr 2006, 01:28 »

You are all forgetting a hilarious spinoff called THE MIGHTY DUCKS.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Action Cartoons
« Reply #33 on: 05 Apr 2006, 04:53 »

Ah, memories.

I watched Mighty Max, Samurai Pizza Cats, Centurions, The original sonic (up, over and gooone), Beast Wars, ReBoot, Godzilla (and godzooky), SWAT Kats, Chip and Dale, Tail Spin, Duck Tales, X-Men, The Thing, oh man, so many shows.

Wasnt there another Sonic series, other than that sonic X one they have now? I remember one that was a little bit different than the original, it had Knuckles, Princess Sally, and i think a bit of the Chaotix.

I was kind of a sonic fanboy. I even read the comic that Archie Comics made. Wonder if i still have any of those... The mecha series was AWESOME.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

soap

Action Cartoons
« Reply #34 on: 05 Apr 2006, 04:56 »

sonic cartoons i can remember =
-a really old kiddy show looking one
-a slightly newer darker one where for some reason all the heros had the power to form some sort of magic super band and defeat the enemies with RAWK (???)
-sonic X

is that right ?

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Action Cartoons
« Reply #35 on: 05 Apr 2006, 05:50 »

Hmm... The tick was one of my favorites, once I got the hang of reading subtitles :). Also, there were the Samurai Pizza Cats, something with a bunch of animals on some island, the "group of animals travels to the promised land, but during the journey loads of them die/kill eachother" no idea what its name was, but it was kinda cruel :).
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Sean C

Action Cartoons
« Reply #36 on: 05 Apr 2006, 10:44 »

The tick was hands down one of my favorites. I mean, c'mon, Chairface Chipendale was the most original villain I've ever seen in a cartoon.

Seems some people here forgot Freakazoid, too.

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Action Cartoons
« Reply #37 on: 05 Apr 2006, 10:53 »

Does anyone remember King Arthur & The Knights of Justice? It was about this football team that got sent back in time, and they were supposed to replace King Arthur and the knights of the round table or something.  Anyways, I remember they're transformation sequence was awesome because the table lit up and stuff, and their wepons came out of their armor! It also had some kickass villains.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Action Cartoons
« Reply #38 on: 05 Apr 2006, 12:13 »

Hahahhaa.... oh man that show was CRAZY. The toys were pretty neat though!  Guinevere and Lance... good grief.  How no one ever seemed to get cut in spite of the SWORDS reminded me of how they did a Conan the Adventurer cartoon, complete with that bird always eating pomegranates, by Crum.

And Spinless:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q7SVWhQqdOA

try that?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Action Cartoons
« Reply #39 on: 05 Apr 2006, 12:50 »

Quote from: soap
anyone remember the pirates of dark water ?

a misfit crew of heroes trying to save the world from some sort of living oil slick while battling evil pirates. there was a monkey/bird hybrid and the hero used half a magic sword (that had, predictably, once belonged to his now missing father)

My mate is obsessed with Pirates of Dark Water. He often berates the rest of us for not having bought the toys, thus leading to the series' early demise. He especially berates me in regard to my large collection of Captain Planet toys.

Stayc

• Plantmonster
Action Cartoons
« Reply #40 on: 05 Apr 2006, 13:13 »

Darkwing Duck, anyone?  Let's get dangerous
You gotta walk before you crawl... reverse that.

Bastardous Bassist

Action Cartoons
« Reply #41 on: 05 Apr 2006, 13:25 »

Oh yeah, now I remember it.  For some reason "Let's get dangerous" just sparked that memory.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Action Cartoons
« Reply #42 on: 05 Apr 2006, 14:34 »

How about some live-action love (NOT PORN)...

Land of the Lost?

And uh... you're welcome, spin.

soap

Action Cartoons
« Reply #43 on: 05 Apr 2006, 15:48 »

Quote from: Spinless
DINORIDERS!!!!

i knew i couldn't be the only one to remember that programme !

that king arthur / american football cartoon made no sense at all but it was ace

i don't know the name but does anyone remember a really old WWF cartoon where hulk hogan and the 'good' wrestlers had their gym and rowdy roddy piper and the bad guys had a rival gym ?

Gryff

Action Cartoons
« Reply #44 on: 05 Apr 2006, 15:58 »

Dinoriders had the coolest toys of evar.

Also, how about Count Duckula? That was a cool show.

soap

Action Cartoons
« Reply #45 on: 05 Apr 2006, 16:00 »

duckula and danger mouse were amazing (own dvds of both) but do they count as action cartoons ?

some of david jasons finest work anyway

Gryff

Action Cartoons
« Reply #46 on: 05 Apr 2006, 16:07 »

Good point. Forgot about the "action" bit. Surely Danger Mouse counts as action? I don't know.

I was very into those cartoon though.

soap

Action Cartoons
« Reply #47 on: 05 Apr 2006, 16:36 »

danger mouse probably had more ass kicking action than at least half of whats been mentioned so far

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Action Cartoons
« Reply #48 on: 05 Apr 2006, 17:08 »

THUNDERCATS!!!!!!

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Action Cartoons
« Reply #49 on: 05 Apr 2006, 18:28 »

Quote from: soap
danger mouse probably had more ass kicking action than at least half of whats been mentioned so far

oh man, I can't believe I fucking forgot about dangermouse! my net handle was Dangermoose for like 3.5 years, and still is on some sites (sensibleerection)
also israel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up