THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 20:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tool Album Leaked  (Read 50080 times)

midnightvulture

New Tool Album Leaked
« on: 20 Apr 2006, 08:08 »

ok all you music pirates, (ahoy) 10000 days has officially leaked onto the internet.  Its awesomeness could not be hidden any longer.  IT IS AMAZING BY THE WAY.  Happy hunting, wish ya the best of luck...

valley_parade

• coprophage
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2006, 08:58 »

Holy shit, wow..I'm going back to bed.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

TrueNeutral

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2006, 09:00 »

So have the new Pearl Jam and the new Godsmack. Both of which I was looking forward to more than the new Tool.

Yes, I like Godsmack better than Tool. Deal with it.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2006, 09:06 »

well tool sucks. sorry.

Spartan Pho3nix

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2006, 09:13 »

New Headline:
"New Tool Album Leaked...And it's god-fricken boring and awful"

valley_parade

• coprophage
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2006, 09:25 »

Quote from: TrueNeutral
So have the new Pearl Jam and the new Godsmack. Both of which I was looking forward to more than the new Tool.

I heard the new Godsmack single on the radio Tuesday. -insert double take and "wtf, they're still around?!"-

Heh. I think they started to kinda go downhill after Awake.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

estens

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2006, 09:37 »

the tool alnum is alright, i might also suggest Karnivool, they are a good new aussie band and well worth a look if you can find it over there in yankiville

ASturge

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2006, 09:51 »

Tool are a shit band!

weeeeeeeee

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2006, 10:40 »

I was unimpressed by this album and I've loved Tool to date. Hoping it will grow on me.

Outshined

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2006, 10:42 »

It seems like Tool is another of those bandwagons that everyone likes to hop on and make fun of for no good reason =P

Quit the ragging!   I'm just pleased a good metal band is in the mainstream.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2006, 11:20 »

I got figuratively BEATEN TO DEATH on a gaming forum for saying this. That tells you a LOT about the kind of people who use gaming forums.

Tool is the bottom rung of pretentious heavy music. When a Tool fan gets too pretentious, or older than 15, he gets into Mike Patton idolisation. Then, the paths bifurcate. Some go to Devin Townsend, some to Dream Theater, a few to Ayreon.

Also, a small list of things Tool aren't:

Original, innovative, particularly clever, metal.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2006, 11:27 »

When I was 17 and ingesting LSD like water, I liked Tool.

TrueNeutral

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2006, 11:39 »

Yeah, gamers are often RABID Tool fans. And before they all discovered Tool, it used to be all about System of a Down and Rage Against The Machine. I saw so many threads saying 'SOAD/RATM WH1CH 1S B3TT3R' as if they were actually trying to compare the two.

Quote from: Valley_Parade

I heard the new Godsmack single on the radio Tuesday. -insert double take and "wtf, they're still around?!"-

Heh. I think they started to kinda go downhill after Awake.

It's interesting, because they used to rip off Alice In Chains a lot, but in this album, they ripped off tons of bands. Their new single has a bit of an industrial feel, Mama sounds more like a Black Album Metallica song than any song actually ON the Black Album, and the opener Livin' In Sin sounds like, ironically, Tool.

I think Godsmack made a couple of good songs on each record. Too bad the rest of the songs on each record sound exactly the same. I do quite like The Other Side, though.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2006, 11:45 »

This is a Tool fan, Do you really want to be a Tool fan?
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2006, 11:48 »

Well, Godsmack did start off as an Alice in Chains tribute band.

I always felt a bit sorry for Godsmack. They got caught up in nu-metal, but aren't. And to have that kind of taint on you sucks. Plus, they have some actually rather good songs. Voodoo anyone?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2006, 11:48 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

I got figuratively BEATEN TO DEATH on a gaming forum for saying this. That tells you a LOT about the kind of people who use gaming forums.

Tool is the bottom rung of pretentious heavy music. When a Tool fan gets too pretentious, or older than 15, he gets into Mike Patton idolisation. Then, the paths bifurcate. Some go to Devin Townsend, some to Dream Theater, a few to Ayreon.

Yeah there's two Tool bandwagons really. The ZOMG TOOL ARE THE MOST PHILOSOPHICAL AND SMART BAND IN THE UNIVERSE bandwagon, and the TOOL ARE BORING AND THEIR FANS ARE JACKASSES bandwagon. The latter has more of a valid point, their teenage fans give them a bad name (especially in the US where they're more mainstream, from what I can gleam from the internets). You either get Tool or you don't, and if you don't, they're incredibly boring. Me, I dig 'em (and Dream Theater screw you ;)) but this new record is something of a let-down :(

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2006, 11:54 »

Tool is the bottom rung of pretentious heavy music. When a Tool fan gets too pretentious, or older than 15, he gets into Mike Patton idolisation

*Looks at self*
Damn.

Now seriously, I'm a Tool fan and a Patton fan, and I'm older then 15. Whats wrong with that? All the Tool fans I know are intelligent, eclectic people. NOT stupid emo 15 year olds.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2006, 11:55 »

Let me just say, you are a really lucky man. Don't piss off your friends.

Myself, I like not Tool and am seriously indifferent to Patton. I just don't get it.

Okay, I like a bit of heavy devvy. And I'm a bit of a Dan Swano fanboy.

Kid Modernist

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2006, 12:13 »

I haven't listened to the new album yet, and am not a huge fan of Tool, but i definitely think their album Undertow is fucking killer.

People they aren't original but there are about a billion bands in the genre with Death, Wolves, or GERMANIC REFERENCE in the name, so I think originality isn't as good as the rocking.

TrueNeutral

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2006, 12:22 »

Well, Godsmack did start off as an Alice in Chains tribute band.

I always felt a bit sorry for Godsmack. They got caught up in nu-metal, but aren't. And to have that kind of taint on you sucks. Plus, they have some actually rather good songs. Voodoo anyone?

Yeah, Godsmack is really just grunge with really loud and downtuned guitars. I wrote an article on it once for a local metalzine that my friends give out for free at shows, comparing them with bands like KoRn and Linkin' Park, and then with bands like Black Album Metallica and Alice In Chains. Most people who've read it now refer to them as Post-Grunge. The nu-metal thing wasn't really helped by the fact that, because they were the big 'in' thing, they release singles like I Stand Alone and the new one, Speak, which are the songs that sound the most nu-metal on their albums.

They pulled an Unforgiven II and made Voodoo Too on this new disc. They show some more musical range on IV, but it's kind of a mixed bag. I really like the song Hollow. It gave me goosebumps.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2006, 12:26 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist

People they aren't original but there are about a billion bands in the genre with Death, Wolves, or GERMANIC REFERENCE in the name, so I think originality isn't as good as the rocking.

I can't think of a single alternative rock band with any of those things in their name.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2006, 12:27 »

my uncle gave me SYL's City when I was 11. Unfortunately that didn't stop me from getting into shitty nu-metal, but I was saved form that soon enough by Converge and Opeth at 14. Anyways, those 3 years of darkness in between were filled by Tool, and when lateralus came out I was like "..oh, this band is really boring, but I WILL TRY TO GET IT" which is how most people felt about lateralus. my friend (read: tool fan) sent me 10,000 days to which i said "wait haven't i heard this before. Yeah, Yeah I have. They released this before. on every album" and i stand by this assessment.

edit- nobody was saying the NAME was unoriginal. The band just makes deritative pooptunes. Otherside by the RHCP was like the best tool song.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2006, 12:54 »

*mewling hipster whimper* but pitchfork says i'm not allowed to like tool. what if i accidentally mention them within earshot of one of their reviewers?? they might meta-condescend to me...

nah, it's a decent album. danny carey's skill is undeniable and tasty at that. i'm glad they're finally off their tool-asses. i'm not saying they aren't one-trick ponies... i'm just saying sometimes i don't mind.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2006, 13:02 »

I like Godsmack better than Tool, but I don't mind Tool too much.  I also haven't heard anything past Awake, which I found to be really boring (the self-titled really was pretty good, but I love Godmack, so....)

I never liked Mike Patton, and I like al three of those.  I also didn't really like Tool until well after I had gotten into those three bands/people.  I still don't really like Tool, but I can listen to them, and Danny Carey is a pretty good drummer, but I've heard tons better, with cooler ideas that rocked harder.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Kid Modernist

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2006, 13:56 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist

I can't think of a single alternative rock band with any of those things in their name.

Sure, if you limit them to being called an Alternative Rock Band. But I don't think we are going to get beyond this.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2006, 14:21 »

I'll give you progressive alternative rock.

Even if I gave 'em prog rock, which I wouldn't, because that would be an insult to a plethora of bands, I'm still not seeing any bands with those things in their name.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2006, 14:50 »

Does indie count as alternative rock?
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2006, 15:50 »

I liked Tool better when they were just creepy videos on MTV.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2006, 16:50 »

Quote from: E. Spaceman
Does indie count as alternative rock?

You know very well what I mean by Alternative Rock.

Take your Death Cab for Cuties and your Wolfmothers and vamoose.

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2006, 19:02 »

Man I am really surprised by the Tool hate in this thread. My friend getting me into Tool through "Sober" is what got me into heavier music to begin with.

The fact that Maynard hasn't even been mentioned once in this thread confuses the hell out of me too. Is he still performing with Tool?
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

ProphetHobo

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2006, 19:59 »

Maaaan, TOol is amazing, and the album is so grand. Especially Jambi. SO fucking delicious.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2006, 21:01 »

See, I don't like Tool, and Patton's never really engaged me, but I love the other three. Does that make me only slightly higher up on the pretentious-git scale, or is liking those three good?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Bastardous Bassist

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2006, 21:06 »

Yay!  I'm not alone in those tastes!
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2006, 21:20 »

Strapping Young Lad pisses me off, but the rest of Townsend's material is acceptable.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #34 on: 20 Apr 2006, 21:31 »

Strapping Young Lad has some of the best album titles ever, though. Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing, No Sleep till Bedtime, For Those Aboot to Rock...
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #35 on: 20 Apr 2006, 21:52 »

I dunno, I like tool, i'm not all fanatical about them, but they have their moments of awesome. Who I can't stand is Deftones. I remember when White Poney came out and everyone was all "OMG DEFTONES!!!!one1" and I felt like I was sitting there all by my self asking "whats the big deal?"
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #36 on: 20 Apr 2006, 22:36 »

I've downloaded it, but haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. I guess I've been looking forward to it, but it isn't that big a deal. Also, Khar is disturbingly accurate about what happens to Tool fans, but I still like to throw on an album of theirs every now and again. I think they're drastically overhyped by the fans, but that doesn't mean they're not good, it just means that they're not "the best band ever and you should totally listen to them or you are a total closed minded bastard oh fuck, the Mescal just kicked in."

Also, out of sheer curiosity, I kind of peeked onto the Toolshed forum last night, and half the fans on there are convinced its a hoax album as part of some elaborate joke on Tools behalf, and that its a total load of shit, and the other half believe its the geniune album and is fucking awesome.

The best part about this is that no matter what, half the people on that forum are going to look like complete idiots when the CD actually comes out.

I have heard Vicarious though, and that is a fucking sweet track.

Also, whoever mentioned Karnivool earlier, fo' rizzle, my peep. I haven't actually heard their album, but I saw them live on a recommendation from a friend and they were fantastic.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

El Opium

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #37 on: 20 Apr 2006, 23:45 »

In days of old when coats were sold and stoats had weird barbed-wire fetishes I thought about buying a tool album. Then my sister started liking them and became all goth-lite. Thankyou fate for bestowing awful things upon my sister instead of me. tool don't cause goth, they cause goth-lite, cause they just ain't good enough.

Outshined

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #38 on: 21 Apr 2006, 01:34 »

Quote from: Houdinimachine
Man I am really surprised by the Tool hate in this thread. My friend getting me into Tool through "Sober" is what got me into heavier music to begin with.

Yeah, see this is basically my mentality.  I think Tool is a great band, simply because with out them, I really wouldn't have given Metal a second look as a genre and would have missed out as a lot of stuff as a result.

I also don't get how everyone can go on about how they are "derivative" when they sound completely unlike most other prog or metal bands I could compare them to.  They seem to have a unique mentality.  And thirdly, where does the pretentiousness come in?  Is it because they sing about new-age spirituality every now and then?  What is so god awful about, I don't know, maybe thinking the world might -not- be completely shallow and focused on material things every once in a while.  I actually find it somewhat refreshing.  Finally, they are all decent to good musicians, so why rag on them, when there are plenty of godawful bands that we could be more productively ragging on?  

I'm pretty much going to stand by my guns that, as far as metal goes, you could do a whole lot worse than Tool, and that I'm glad they are out there because it's infinitely better than the majority of other mainstream stuff.

Khar's sentiments about "Post-Tool" bands are right on, though, haha.  I like what I've heard of Townsend, I think Dream Theater rocks, and I can appreciate Ayreon's intentions even though I don't really like them.   I still have no idea who this Patton guy is, though =P.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #39 on: 21 Apr 2006, 02:12 »

No, you could do a whole lot better and ACTUALLY LISTEN TO A BAND THAT'S METAL.

Seriously, I listened to more metal bands last week than most of you guys, with some noble exceptions, have in your life-times.

Tool aren't metal.

I'm not saying they're crap because they're not metal, but they're NOT METAL.

@Unosuke: Now that's a BAD band.

Velly

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #40 on: 21 Apr 2006, 03:27 »

I always thought Tool were just "Alternative Rock" myself.

I once saw them being listed as being "Nu-Metal"

What. The. Fuck.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #41 on: 21 Apr 2006, 04:43 »

The new album should have been called "10,000 days since we made a good album"

Seriously, I don't even know how people can go "OH MY GOD TOOL ARE SO TALENTED" because while they're different than most bands I don't EVER think of them as better, or even good >_>
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #42 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:11 »

Tool aren't metal.

I'm not saying they're crap because they're not metal, but they're NOT METAL.

Totally agree. Actually, I've never heard someone call Tool a metal band outside this thread.

Ok, confession time: I have Deftone's White Poney, and I love it.
*mental image of Khar writing my name in his "people to kill after I take over the world" list*
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

valley_parade

• coprophage
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #43 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:15 »

What the hell is wrong with White Pony? It's a great album.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #44 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:24 »

... survivable ...

If you've played with a bassist who idolized any fart put out by TOOL you've seen hell.

I had to kill him.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Bastardous Bassist

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #45 on: 21 Apr 2006, 10:21 »

Quote from: Valley_Parade
What the hell is wrong with White Pony? It's a great album.

I remember when that album came out and everyone was shitting themselves because "OMG DEFTONES!"  I was listening to the radio, and the guy announced that they were going to play some Deftones, so I was all excited, because everyone was talking about how good they were.  I was severely underwhelmed.  If the rest of the album is better, then there's nothing wrong with it, but if it isn't, then it's boring.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Rubby

• http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #46 on: 21 Apr 2006, 11:12 »

Seriously, I listened to more metal bands last week than most of you guys, with some noble exceptions, have in your life-times.

That's true for me at least.

TrueNeutral

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #47 on: 21 Apr 2006, 11:21 »

You've probably listened to more bands than I will in my whole life, period.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #48 on: 21 Apr 2006, 12:12 »

I'm going to bitch about a different band entirely. What the fuck, Anthrax? You guys had one decent song in the nineties, so I downloaded a lot of your albums. Why do they all suck? You had my hopes up, you guys.
                             </3 Sythe

Anyway, I downloaded the new cd, and its alright. Its cool that they released a new cd, but its every other cd. Not that I don't enjoy it, its just...

Anyone heard Third Eye Open? After listening to them, I found I like Tool better when its not Tool.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

TrueNeutral

New Tool Album Leaked
« Reply #49 on: 21 Apr 2006, 12:27 »

What you had with Anthrax I had with Slayer.

EDIT: Also, I have no idea what he's doing to cause it, but the solos Slayer does always lure me into PURE INDIGNANT RAGE.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up