THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 01:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo....Wii?  (Read 30877 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #50 on: 02 May 2006, 02:13 »

Remember what I said about wishing that it was all a big joke/publicity stunt?  Well, some others are suggesting that same thing, and by crikey I hope it's true.

I mean, I know that it's probably just wishful thinking, but c'mon people, work with me here alright?

Bunnyman

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #51 on: 02 May 2006, 03:14 »

What, the fucking poetry and so forth?  Yeah, seemed a bit silly.

Still, you gotta admire the sheer cajones Nintendo has.  Some seriously good shit going on with the Wii, assuming the games live up to the system.  Sony just has hubris.  First DRM, then the Cell Processor + Late Dev Kits...are they trying to piss everyone off?

While the PS3 has a totally new architecture and spotty (at best) support, the X360 is like programming a single-spec windows box with ass-loads of power and Microsoft backing up developers at every step.  Which looks like a better dev platform for your game?

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #52 on: 02 May 2006, 04:56 »

My problem with the Xbox is that it is basically a normal PC box, with fancy styling, and fairly up-to-date technology. Yet it doesnt play PC games. So personally, until it gets a pretty major price drop, i'll be sticking with its upgradeable cousin. Just not enough to set it apart for me.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #53 on: 02 May 2006, 06:44 »

The difference between the Xbox and a PC is that the xbox is much more social than PC's.

I mean you can have 4 player games with one xbox, or system linked games with your friends.

With a PC you'd need to have PC's linked together in a house OR take a trip to a lan centre. Either of these options is expensive whereas with Xboxs you can transport them easily.

Alegis

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #54 on: 02 May 2006, 09:10 »

Quote from: Nolaw_Nocrime
The difference between the Xbox and a PC is that the xbox is much more social than PC's.

Ohmigosh, xbox is so more social I can chat with it on IRC/Fora and play on ze web with many, many more people and speak on vent.

Ah no wait, other way around.

Remember that for xbox lans, you need TV screens as well. PC lans tend to be much more fun as you got the file swapping (leaching) etc.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #55 on: 02 May 2006, 09:19 »

I think he means more that with an XBox, you're less likely to be sitting in a dark room, by yourself, in your underwear, talking to a 40 year old man who claims to be a 18 year old girl who's interested in exploring her sexuality.

You're at least sitting in a room with a couple of other people doing that.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #56 on: 02 May 2006, 09:19 »

The social aspect of a MMORPG is way different than a console.  It can be cool teaming up with parties of strangers, but that experience is not the same at all as having a bunch of buddies huddled together on the couch while playing a game.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #57 on: 02 May 2006, 10:44 »

To be honest, I'd rather be playing alone than with a bunch of people, unless it was for competition. Smash Bros with friends is fun. Crystal Chronicles... not so much.

Also, LAN parties > Xbox parties. It's just more interesting to see everyone's gear and how they've set up their rig. Plus, you get to branch out more, and get more playtime rather than fighting for a spot at one of the few tvs. I'll always love my PC more than the Xbox my brother and sister bought.

But really, the Wii needs a launch lineup more than a gimmicky name. Once I hear that, I'll know how willing I am to put up with the goofy marketing ploy. I'll but it regardless, but if it's a solid system, I wont feel so bad about dropping about $300USD (my estimated price) on it.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #58 on: 02 May 2006, 11:36 »

Nintendo's claiming that they'll have 20 titles ready for launch.

As long as one of them is Smash Bros. WIIIIIIII, I'm sold.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alegis

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #59 on: 02 May 2006, 11:59 »

Quote from: neomang5
but if it's a solid system, I wont feel so bad about dropping about $300USD (my estimated price) on it.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3149198
-200$ are good guesses. Of course that's your estimation and until otherwise announced all speculation.

Supersmash Bros Wii is most likely a launch title Ozy.
Quote from: 1up site
and Nintendo is aiming to have it ready for launch

Goddamn Supersmash bros rocks so much.

Fox!

Bunnyman

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #60 on: 02 May 2006, 16:39 »

Make the trigger for super smash moves a giant baseball-esque swing and I'm sold.

valley_parade

• coprophage
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #61 on: 02 May 2006, 17:05 »

Price + cool ass controller = I will buy the Wiivolution (that's what I'm calling it.)
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #62 on: 02 May 2006, 17:52 »

Quote from: Bunnyman
Make the trigger for super smash moves a giant baseball-esque swing and I'm sold.

Hell yes. I was just thinking this early today.

Home Run Bat + Wii controller = FUN (and possibly violent) TIMES
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #63 on: 02 May 2006, 20:11 »

Ipod is a pretty lame name too, and look what happened.

I hope wii, the name,  succeeds.  I also madly hope the controller works as well as planned.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Swali

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #64 on: 02 May 2006, 20:27 »

The controller looks kinda lame, but from what I hear about it, it sounds kinda rad.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #65 on: 02 May 2006, 21:36 »

Quote from: Chesire Cat
I hope wii, the name,  succeeds.  I also madly hope the controller works as well as planned.

Nintendo hasn't failed to make new technology awesomely workable since the Virtual Boy.

And even then it was a design issue, not a technology issue. That was quite awesome to play if you balanced it on your eyes and lied down.

But analog sticks? Wireless controllers? Touch screen? All are quite in the 'fuck yes, this is actually pretty awesome' category.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #66 on: 03 May 2006, 08:21 »

Wee.

Won't buy it for the name.  And honestly, I don't really see myself buying it.  I don't care for the games, and the controller?  No way.  It's fucking tiny.  My hands will not like using it.  Also: ergonomics?  If I had to play a game with that small flat stick for three hours, I'd probably end up cutting my arms off, dousing the stumps in gas, and lighting them on fire to cauterize them shut.

As to the PS3...  It's not better.  It really isn't.  A processor with little number crunching units, ooh.  Handy for...  Graphics.  And only graphics.  Not for AI.  And frankly, flashy graphics are pretty tired.  For the last two or three years, most games that come out are lauded for their amazing graphics, but evoke no actual enjoyment while playing.  None.  Again, why do I want that?

So, I'll stick to my PC with the MMOs, and will keep myself entertained that way.

Alegis

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #67 on: 05 May 2006, 08:04 »

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/04/wii-trademark-surfaces-naysayers-wiip/

Name is real, and patent applied for nov 11 last year.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #68 on: 05 May 2006, 12:24 »

Quote from: nihilist
Wee.

Won't buy it for the name.  And honestly, I don't really see myself buying it.  I don't care for the games, and the controller?  No way.  It's fucking tiny.  My hands will not like using it.  Also: ergonomics?  If I had to play a game with that small flat stick for three hours, I'd probably end up cutting my arms off, dousing the stumps in gas, and lighting them on fire to cauterize them shut.

As to the PS3...  It's not better.  It really isn't.  A processor with little number crunching units, ooh.  Handy for...  Graphics.  And only graphics.  Not for AI.  And frankly, flashy graphics are pretty tired.  For the last two or three years, most games that come out are lauded for their amazing graphics, but evoke no actual enjoyment while playing.  None.  Again, why do I want that?

So, I'll stick to my PC with the MMOs, and will keep myself entertained that way.

Actually, the remote part is very ergonomic. It's not just a flat stick, because there's buttons on the bottom too, for your index finger. So, they had to incorporate an ergonomic design so that it'll fit comfortably in your hand and allow you to hit that button easily. It's less like using a TV remote and more like using a phaser from Star Trek.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #69 on: 05 May 2006, 12:36 »

Eh.  Even if there are little finger grooves or something, that doesn't make it ergonomic.  It just makes it not 1985 anymore.  Still doesn't address the controller size, either.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #70 on: 06 May 2006, 03:28 »

To each their own. I tend to find that the games which REALLY stand out from the crowd graphics-wise tend to hav at least respectable AI.

And let's face it, good AI doesn't necessarily make a good game, nor does bad AI ruin an excellent one. Half-Life 2 is repeatedly cited as being the modern great of PC gaming, but most of the AI in that is actually pretty pathetic. (Fire. Strafe back and forth between two hint markers on ground. Reload in plain sight when ammo runs out. throw grenade at random intervals. repeat.). the only two things in the game that actually display any sense at all are the Gunship and the Strider. I've actually used gunships in Hammer, and the damned things are smart. That "shooting at the rocket" thing originally arose out of the AI, it's not hard-coded. Similarly, if shooting it won't work, I've seen them try to lure the rocket into the scenery instead.

But I digress. The majority of the AI in HAlf-Life 2 is pretty low-grade. It's far surpassed by F.E.A.R, Far Cry, or Black - all if which are graphically excellent games.

If a games team is putting that kind of effort into making the game look nice, nine times out of ten, a similar amount of effort is being put in in other places as well (though not always, I agree).

My understanding was that AI ran on the CPU anyway. there are no dedicated "AI Cards" that I know of. If a system has a more powerful central processor, surely it'll be MORE adept at handling AI, not less?
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

nihilist

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #71 on: 06 May 2006, 08:36 »

AI requires good branch prediction and OOO execution.  The Cell processor only can do that on the actual PPC-based core, not the SPEs.  SPEs don't have ANY of that goodness, they are only good for ripping through basic math.  Thus AI and physics are going to be vying for the attention of the main core.

Alegis

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #72 on: 06 May 2006, 12:09 »

I think the AI of Half-Life 2 suited the game, Gordon as a smarter superunit vs Aliens. Although the combine were advertised as being smarter ...

2 days left for some great Wii news ...

http://e3.nintendo.com

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #73 on: 06 May 2006, 20:20 »

AI requires good branch prediction and OOO execution.  The Cell processor only can do that on the actual PPC-based core, not the SPEs.  SPEs don't have ANY of that goodness, they are only good for ripping through basic math.  Thus AI and physics are going to be vying for the attention of the main core.

Actually the PPC core isn't OoO either. In-order two issue hyperthreaded. Still, just the fact that it's running at 3.2GHz makes up for a lot of downsides.

nihilist

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #74 on: 06 May 2006, 22:28 »

Yes, I know that the PPC isn't OoO.  I'm looking at the new Intel architecture for good OoO and whatnot.

The one thing that helps the Xbox 360 is that it has three of the same core, not one big core with eight little number crunching units.

Sony always has some assnasty hardware issues.

Alegis

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #75 on: 07 May 2006, 14:50 »

http://www.duggmirror.com/gaming/Time_Magazine_plays_with_the_Wii./

this looks really GREAT AND FUN !

But the name Wii not wii-thstanding, Nintendo has grasped two important notions that have eluded its competitors. The first is, Don’t listen to your customers. The hard-core gaming community is extremely vocal–they blog a lot–but if Nintendo kept listening to them, hard-core gamers would be the only audience it ever had. “[Wii] was unimaginable for them,” Iwata says. “And because it was unimaginable, they could not say that they wanted it. If you are simply listening to requests from the customer, you can satisfy their needs, but you can never surprise them. Sony and Microsoft make daily-necessity kinds of things. They have to listen to the needs of the customers and try to comply with their requests. That kind of approach has been deeply ingrained in their minds.”

QFT

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #76 on: 07 May 2006, 15:21 »

Exactly, dont confuse the vocal minority for the majority.  Im looking at you 'conservative right'
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Alegis

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #77 on: 09 May 2006, 10:24 »

been streaming the conference; the games looked kewl: more info on that tomorrow as +27 games will be available for playing and more on vid screen.

As for the controller, there will be a speaker in it to add depth of sound. Like in Zelda: Twilight Princess you fire a bow and the sound will sorta bounce to the tv screen as if indeed an arrow is being fired from your hands.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #78 on: 09 May 2006, 20:00 »

Here are the two videos shown by Nintendo on the stream:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=327f4hU1oVw">Video 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cCMPDRJQLk">Video 2

There's also Mario footage :)

Stifled Dreams

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #79 on: 09 May 2006, 20:13 »

I just clicked the second one and randomly skipped to the end. Most of that was Twilight Princess which made me want to cry.

Alegis

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #80 on: 10 May 2006, 13:40 »

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #81 on: 10 May 2006, 14:35 »

Man, the Wii is actually making me consider getting a television.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #82 on: 10 May 2006, 17:35 »

OK, launch titles for the Wii that make me practically piss myself:

Super Smash Brothers
Fire Emblem
and fucking DUCK HUNT.

End of story, this is the console that most interests me. Add to it Zelda, the general assholery of Sony and Microsoft,  Especially since I have to pay for all games and related peripherals myself, meaning that I would be extremely hesitant to buy a 360 and almost certain that a PS3 is never going to even enter the picture.

Not to mention that the primary issues raised about the system, meaning the controller and the high-def issue, don't apply to me. There will be a conventional controller, and there's no way in fucking hell I could afford a high def TV anyway, so what do I care?

I'm totally in the Wii camp at this point, stupid name or no.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #83 on: 10 May 2006, 18:51 »

The Wii is the first system that makes me want to consider getting a console since FF7 came out exclusively for the PS1. (This was just after I'd become a Square addict; I'm over it now.)
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Alegis

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #84 on: 11 May 2006, 08:44 »

Super smash bros melee was by far my favorite game on Gamecube. It wasn't another "1v1" combat game like tekken of which dozens of dupes exist.

The trailer looks cool, with UBER power effects

Garcin

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #85 on: 11 May 2006, 10:01 »

(1) "We" = you and I

(2) "Whee" = used to express delight or exuberance

(3) "Wee" = 1 : very small : DIMINUTIVE; 2 : very early

It's not like it just means urine, right?  In any event, as I pointed out when the remote concept was revealed, if the sword fighting simulations are any good at all in terms of gameplay, I will be getting this system.  This would be equally true if they called it the Nintendo HorseVomit.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #86 on: 11 May 2006, 13:00 »

This is the coolest idea I've heard all week.

OOO

Okay, now you guys are just making stuff up.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #87 on: 11 May 2006, 14:54 »

It's named after the sound it makes you make.. "Oooo.."
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #88 on: 11 May 2006, 15:36 »

Holy shit guys! http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html" target="_fresh">Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

Watch the first video. If that doesn't make you want to Wii yourself with excitement, then I don't know what will.

Garcin

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #89 on: 11 May 2006, 22:23 »

It was crazy -- they posted a link to the announcement that Nintendo would be unveiling Duck Hunt 2 for the Wii on Fark, and about 98% of the forum, in one fell swoop, went from highly skeptical about the Wii to rabidly enthusiastic.  I've never seen that many changed opinions among that many internet people so quickly.

If this reaction is any indication, and if the Wiimote has even half the game play it appears to have in the promotional videos, Wii will dominate this generation the way the SNES did in its time.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #90 on: 11 May 2006, 22:43 »

That would be a turn about for the books. And now that I think about it, Nintendo kinda deserves a return to popularity (relatively) for its willingness to take a risk and try new things in the industry.

crazybritishsteve

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #91 on: 12 May 2006, 01:11 »

I'm an Xbox enthusiast and my girlfriend loves the playstation. I'll probably buy a 360 in the upcoming months, and my girlfriend will buy a ps3 when they don't cost a squillion pounds. I'm not even looking at the wii.

............at least that was my old view point. The more and more i'm hearing about the wii, the more and more i keep thinking 'I'm sure we could squeeze in another console.....'

I'll probably still get a 360, my girlfriend will probably still buy a ps3, but the wiivolution (i like that name, well done to the dude that came up with it. Would put your name here, but i'm lazy) might actually come first.

Alegis

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #92 on: 12 May 2006, 09:25 »

Mario Galaxy

http://www.digg.com/gaming/Super_Mario_Galaxy_(HUGE)_Boss_Battle_Video

It looked weird at first, but now great fun :P

AceGun

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #93 on: 12 May 2006, 09:35 »

Quote from: Gryff
Holy shit guys! http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html" target="_fresh">Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

Watch the first video. If that doesn't make you want to Wii yourself with excitement, then I don't know what will.

Holy crap.  That is the greatest thing to ever exist anywhere.

Bunnyman

Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #94 on: 12 May 2006, 11:49 »

SOLD!

Everything about this console is amazing.  I admire Nintendo for trying somethng completely different and backing it with the great ideas and execution necessary for it to go off well.  Also, a nice low price point to fuck over the PS3 with.

I swear, at this point Nintendo's cajones have statistically significant gravitational pull.  Every move Sony's made since October has smacked of hubris.  I hope the PS3 tanks horribly...smack those fuckers out of their complacency.

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #95 on: 12 May 2006, 12:18 »

Quote from: jhocking

OOO

Okay, now you guys are just making stuff up.

It's short for out of order

Quote from: Alegis

A light gun shell

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707077p1.html

damn thats cool

Wow.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #96 on: 12 May 2006, 19:33 »

I have to admit, I have been out of console gaming for a while. At some point I was thinking of getting a 360, but it seriously looks like this absurdly named console is going to be what throws me, kicking and screaming into the realm of loungeroom gaming.

What sort of disc format is the Wii going to use? I suppose Nintendo are probably going to go with their traditional "Screw the industry trends" attitude, and not go with anything DVD/HD/BR compatible, which kind of pisses me off, but also makes me clasp my hands together under my chin and declare "Oh Nintendo, you're such a rebel!" like a schoolgirl.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Mikintosh

• Emoticontraindication
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #97 on: 12 May 2006, 21:15 »

I think Nintendo is going with regular DVD-style discs this time, tho it won't be a DVD player as in movies, etc. (tho they said it would be an add-on later on). And yeah, I'm pre-ordering this baby as soon as humanly possible. It has WaaarioWare.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #98 on: 12 May 2006, 21:44 »

Yeah, the Wii is the first Nintendo console in history to use a standard format. DVD. DVD playback will be cabale if you buy a special dongle, but Nintendo traditionally hates the idea of consoles doing anything other than playing games, so the option is not standard.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Nintendo....Wii?
« Reply #99 on: 12 May 2006, 23:57 »

Everything about this console is amazing.  I admire Nintendo for trying somethng completely different and backing it with the great ideas and execution necessary for it to go off well.  Also, a nice low price point to fuck over the PS3 with.

I swear, at this point Nintendo's cajones have statistically significant gravitational pull.  Every move Sony's made since October has smacked of hubris.  I hope the PS3 tanks horribly...smack those fuckers out of their complacency.

I agree completely. I'm not sure whether I'll buy the Wii immediately or wait a month or two, but it is the only next-gen console I am absolutely sure I want.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up