THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 08:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The new X-men(HELLA SPOILERS!)  (Read 41239 times)

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
The new X-men(HELLA SPOILERS!)
« Reply #50 on: 28 May 2006, 10:06 »

Quote from: Maximo Bean

And why didn't Wolverine just get rid of Jean's powers rather than killing her?

I thought the "final showdown" between Wolverine and Jean was rater stupid. Why didn't they just throw the power sucking kid at Jean and the knok her in the head or something?
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

poeticallybored

« Reply #51 on: 28 May 2006, 10:23 »

Leech would have died before he got close enough.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #52 on: 28 May 2006, 10:42 »

Is that a bad thing?

Thoku

« Reply #53 on: 28 May 2006, 10:50 »

Quote from: E. Spaceman
Quote from: Maximo Bean

And why didn't Wolverine just get rid of Jean's powers rather than killing her?

I thought the "final showdown" between Wolverine and Jean was rater stupid. Why didn't they just throw the power sucking kid at Jean and the knok her in the head or something?

the kid has got a radius of effect and would have been killed before getting close to jean. Using one of those darts would have worked much better tho.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #54 on: 28 May 2006, 12:32 »

YEAH WHY NOT A DART?

STOOPID MOVIE!
also israel

Manta Ray

« Reply #55 on: 28 May 2006, 14:02 »

Because they used them on Magneto. All FOUR. And you know they can't spare any for Jean...

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #56 on: 28 May 2006, 14:04 »

Yeah, was it really necessary to stab poor Gandalf with all four?

Ravenbomb

« Reply #57 on: 28 May 2006, 18:43 »

best part of the movie: Ellen Page. I hope she makes it big after this, cause she rocked it in Hard Candy.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 29 May 2006, 00:31 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I know know not to waste my money on this ..... this ....... butchery of the X-Men.  Liked the first two, but grom the sound of it, I will not be going to this one.

Pity, was looking foward to seeing The Pheonix.

Pity I didn'y know stuff like this before I went and saw Starship Troopers
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

moley

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.moley3d.be
« Reply #59 on: 29 May 2006, 03:51 »

here's something to think about:

isn't juggernaught not a mutant? I can't recall exactly since I'm not an x-men buff, but there's something about a temple and a crystal that gives him his powers.

so then why did the leech kid suck up Juggernaughts powers?

Ulfednar

« Reply #60 on: 29 May 2006, 03:58 »

Yeah, Juggernaught isn't a mutant! Maybe my knowledge is faulted, though?

I've yet to see this third movie, but i'm sure as hell gonna see it as soon as possible! Story, bla bla... if i want story i go see a serious movie! This one... this one is only for Wolverine and special effects!

Oh, and Patrick Stewart!

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #61 on: 29 May 2006, 04:20 »

yes, I remeber hearing something about Juggernaught using a crystal to get his powers. I'm not in the slightest expert when it comes to X-Men, I've only seen the cartoon series when they're in highschool, I liked that. Anyway, to the point, I can't criticize the movie when it comes to the story line, I can however, criticise it when the editors fuck up.

Just as magneto placed down the golden gate bridge (I know what the fuck?) he looks towards the installation and it's daylight, the sun is just going down, theres about fifteen minutes of sunlight. It cuts to the next shot of him and the mutants walking towards the installation and it's dark, pitch fucking black, how slow are these cunts that it takes them 25 minutes to walk three feet?

That being said, even if a movie is horrendous, I can still like it. It was simple and stupid but it had a few fun bits which I quite liked and I liked the bit where Wolverine walked towards JG and his skin and shit is coming off, it was very over the top, but I like seeing stuff like that.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

moderately brie

« Reply #62 on: 29 May 2006, 08:13 »

I liked the first two...and I know the details and so on weren't perfect, but I liked the changes made to make it more appealing (Hugh Jackman?!  HELLS YES.)

But, the last movie, wasn't as spectacular as I wished it was.  I was confused, wondering why I was sent off into a world of fantasy the second I leav ethe movie...and that's because it wasn't that good.

Bryan Singer screwed it up.

moderately brie

« Reply #63 on: 29 May 2006, 08:14 »

Quote from: E. Spaceman
Yeah, was it really necessary to stab poor Gandalf with all four?

I'm sorry, but I didn't see that and that's exactly what I said while seeing it.  HAHA.

poeticallybored

« Reply #64 on: 29 May 2006, 12:41 »

Juggernaut isn't a mutant at all. The Gem of Cyttorak is the source of all his power and abilities. Without it he's just human.

They also didn't include in the movie how Juggernaut/Xavier are stepbrothers.

donovangelonardo

« Reply #65 on: 29 May 2006, 13:44 »

anyone else think they should've just gone the classic route and had Rogue depower Jean?  Heck, let her touch Colussus first so Jean can't disintegrate her, then have Rogue permanently absorb the dangerous part of Jean's power.  Boom, Jean back to normal, and Rogue becomes her uber-powerful, flying self.

Also, while I do miss Nightcrawler, I loved Beast.  No one has mentioned him yet, but I thought he was right on.  Does anyone know if the team in the final fight scene represents the full team of active X-Men at any time in the comics?  Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Colossus, Ice-man, Shadowcat, and for the heck of it, Angel.

BTW, I think this is my first post in this forum.  Hi!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #66 on: 29 May 2006, 13:45 »

theyre stepbrothers? i thought they were twins or something. didnt charles have a twin that he almost killed in the womb or something? or did juggernaut? i dunno....its been a while
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ravenbomb

« Reply #67 on: 29 May 2006, 16:13 »

Quote from: donovangelonardo
anyone else think they should've just gone the classic route and had Rogue depower Jean?  Heck, let her touch Colussus first so Jean can't disintegrate her, then have Rogue permanently absorb the dangerous part of Jean's power.  Boom, Jean back to normal, and Rogue becomes her uber-powerful, flying self.

Also, while I do miss Nightcrawler, I loved Beast.  No one has mentioned him yet, but I thought he was right on.  Does anyone know if the team in the final fight scene represents the full team of active X-Men at any time in the comics?  Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Colossus, Ice-man, Shadowcat, and for the heck of it, Angel.

BTW, I think this is my first post in this forum.  Hi!

I think the lineup for Days of Future Past was pretty close to that. It was, IIRC, Storm, Colossus, Shadowcat, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Angel

poeticallybored

« Reply #68 on: 29 May 2006, 16:44 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-men

Look off to the right side. The closest roster, to what was in the movie, is the Astonishing X-Men title.

Cyclops
Emma Frost (White Queen)
Beast
Shadowcat (Kitty Pryde)
Colossus
Wolverine

DeadPanDan

« Reply #69 on: 29 May 2006, 18:56 »

I'd just like to say that X-men will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm a total geek for it.

But you people are scaring me.

Electric Monk

« Reply #70 on: 29 May 2006, 23:31 »

Quote from: Scandanavian War Machine
theyre stepbrothers? i thought they were twins or something. didnt charles have a twin that he almost killed in the womb or something? or did juggernaut? i dunno....its been a while

Juggernaut (AKA Cain Marko) and Prof. X are indeed stepbrothers, and Prof. X did have a twin he strangled in the womb, who later used her immense powers to create a new body for herself and perpetrate various evil acts, including switching bodies with Xavier and causing general mayhem.

Yes, I'm a geek, but I also have Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra_Nova[/url]

Heavy Duty AA Battery

« Reply #71 on: 30 May 2006, 00:36 »

The only way they can make X4 a good movie without just ressurecting all dead characters is to bring it into the Age of Apocolypse, with Apocolypse posing as Angel's father.

Maximo Bean

« Reply #72 on: 30 May 2006, 05:24 »

Yeah I know it is a tough call for the whole love/mutant power thing, but I always thought Rouge would stick by what she believed in, and what she believed in was the X Men ethos...

...maybe I got her all wrong :(

JJMitchell

« Reply #73 on: 30 May 2006, 05:40 »

I went into this movie with low hopes so I came out happier than most of you are.  Sure it wasn't close to perfect but I can live with it.  It was entertainment and I was entertained.  I knew it wouldn't be as good as X2.

That said, I've noticed some people complaining about eveyone being depowered when obviously Magneto was recovering his powers at the end.  Everyone else will also.  Rogue and Mystique included folks.  Calm down. :P

Things I didn't like about it:
1) Cyclops being killed off.  Sure he is no Wolverine but noone seemed to really care that he died.
2) The lack of character development.  Seemed like because they had so many mutants in it that they couldn't decide who should be developed so they didn't.  Kitty and Iceman were probably the two that actually had some character development.

As far as professor X, I thought it was cool.  Sure its a cheap way out but how many times have things like this been done in comics?  Alot.
As far as to how, didn't Xavier say something about transferring 'a mind' into that body?  It completely possible that he doesn't have his powers after the transfer but I doubt they would do that.

All I all I'd say it was the worst of the 3 but not horrible.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #74 on: 30 May 2006, 07:10 »

I enjoyed it.

CONTROVERSY!
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

AceGun

« Reply #75 on: 30 May 2006, 09:44 »

Just look at the movies as an alternate continuity, it's basically a new Ultimate X-Men.  None of the movies follow the comics.  In Ultimate X-Men many backstories are completely different, powers are changed, various people have died that never did in the true continuity.  For example, Juggernaut is a mutant and not Xavier's brothers in Ultimate X-Men.  Maybe some of the choices in the movie weren't great, but don't complain JUST because something is different.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #76 on: 30 May 2006, 10:20 »

i enjoyed it...but i was SO DISAPPOINTED OMGZ. guh. THEY RUINIED IT. *cries* seriously...the plot of the comic is not that hard to follow.

where were the sentinels??? (other than the one in the room at the beginning, which wasn't real.) why didn't rogue get to fly? the whole story behind rogue flying is awesome. WHY WAS MYSTIQUE DEPOWERED??? WHERE WAS GAMBIT????? WHY WAS IT SO BAD???

and why did the one chick not talk? seriously, she creeped me out.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

AceGun

« Reply #77 on: 30 May 2006, 10:25 »

clearly, dialogue is too hard to write, so she doesn't get to talk.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #78 on: 30 May 2006, 14:18 »

yeah basically juggz powers were given to him through a deity.

they were also stirpped, given back, and taken again by the same deity.

they allowed him the strength, forcefield thing, unharmable physical body, and inability to be stopped (except by like the hulk, and ohter extreme circustances)  the same deity gave him his armor/helmet for blocking out telekinesis.
without them hes just pretty strong.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #79 on: 30 May 2006, 15:36 »

I don't see why the changes and characters being killed off make people so dissapointed. Given that there seem to be five or six completely different storylines sharing characters at any given moment in ANY Marvel comic, and given that the overall canonic continuity of the Marvelverse is about as twisted as a dozen broken slinkies in a washing machine, I'm finding it a little ridiculous that people are kicking up such a fuss over stuff like this.

Wether or not The Juggernaut was originally something other than a mutant is besides the point. His presence was desired in the movie, so the empirical concept behind the character - big, muscly, helmet, unstoppable - was taken, the stuff that would have taken an entire movie of its own to explain was scrapped in favour of a simpler explanation that wouldn't screw over the narrative flow of the film.

Main characters dying? So what? [NON-XMEN FILM SPOILER - HIGHLIGHT TO VIEW] It happened to Wash in "Serenity", and I've yet to hear anyone call THAT a bad film. Main characters do get killed off from time to time. In this case, it was done for dramatic effect, and I thought it was effective.

I suppose that if you're a true X-Men nerd, then some of the changes made for the films would be irritating, but the films exist in a narrative set apart from the "core" Marvelverse anyway, and have, in my opinion, greater licence to take things in their own direction - new character concepts, tweaked powers and histories, whatever else. Nevertheless, I think that the essence of what defines X-Men was left intact - sexy people doing cool things, with a few undercurrents about adolescence and racism thrown in.

All the other stuff is just trimming, really.

I say it's time to drop the comic book nerd pretension, and realise that The Last Stand is actually a really enjoyable film that was made very well. The only problems that people usually raise concerning the X-Men films is that they break with canon - but the films never claimed to be canonical anyway, and even then the X-Men canon has looped back and forth through time so often, with characters rising, falling, and being reinvented almost constantly, that it's damned near impossible to say what is and isn't canon anyway.

So can we please lay off with the comic snobbery? A little is fine, but there's such a thing as TOO MUCH.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #80 on: 30 May 2006, 16:22 »

Okay, I am definitely a comic book nerd, and I hated X3, however

…it's not because the movie was different to the comics. The first two movies were quite different to the comics, but I still thought they were pretty enjoyable. The problem with X3 was that the script was apalling (nobody cared that Cyclops was dead, Magneto's attack on the Worthington complex was stock standard and dull), the dialogue was beyond cringeworthy ("What have I done?" "Way to go, fuzzball"), there was no character development whatsoever (Rogue disappears for ages and comes back with no powers, Angel was not even relevant. wtf?), the action scenes were okay sometimes (Kitty versus Juggernaught, Beast kicking ass) but terrible at others (the otherwise boring fight with Magneto's army of generic nobodies, Iceman and Pyro's shitty, predictable fight).

The reason that comic book geeks are getting so worked up about inconsistencies and changes is that the X-men have so many cool characters, stories and ideas, and X3 made use of none of them. Basically, the fact that such a terrible movie was made from such a cool source makes fans of the source angry.

It's not that it was different. It's that it sucked.

donovangelonardo

« Reply #81 on: 30 May 2006, 16:38 »

I'm one of the people who liked it, but it did let me down in several areas, and those are valid complaints.  After watching X2, I remember how tiny of a part Cyclops had in it.  He was barely there at all!  So when trailers for X3 came out and showed him all scruffy and mean lookin, I (and others) thought, "Sweet!  After the shit-part he had in X2, Cyc is gonna redeem himself by being badass!  Blow some stuff up!" and we were ALL hoping he and Wolverine would beat the organs out of each other once, to settle things.  If they had done that, and given Cyclops his day BEFORE killing him off, I'd be happy.  That's my major complaint.  I feel the same about Rogue:  after being crucial to the first movie, she was negligible and worthless in the second, so I hoped she'd be better off in the third.  Nope, she got the same treatment as Cyclops.  It's as if the director KNEW people were let down by these characters in X2, but didn't know how to fix it or didn't have the time in the movie, which is a valid problem.

Everybody seems offended by the depowering of Magneto (and probably Prof X) but hey, doesn't that sort of mirror what's happening in the comics right now?  I'm not a comic snob, and haven't read X-men.... ever, but even I know the current arc includes a MASS depowering.  Also, think back to X1:  Magneto's first attack was to try and mass-mutate all those humans.  Fitting that he should get turned into a human in the end, eh?  

Final thought:  Guys, if there's a Wolverine spinoff, how can Gambit NOT be in it??  Calm down, if these spinoffs happen we are going to get inundated with new characters in every movie.  Remy will be there.

Gryff

« Reply #82 on: 30 May 2006, 16:42 »

Quote from: donovangelonardo
Guys, if there's a Wolverine spinoff, how can Gambit NOT be in it??

Quite easily really, considering how much backstory Wolverine has and how little of it concerns Gambit.

Gryff

« Reply #83 on: 30 May 2006, 18:14 »

Quote from: Spinless
The bald guy wolverine fought who kept regenerating his arms? Apparently people are saying it's Deadpool.

No way. I refuse to believe it.

On another note: in the credits was a character called "Omega Mutie". Hmm.

poeticallybored

« Reply #84 on: 30 May 2006, 18:24 »

IMDB has the guy who played Quill as "Kid Omega." Kid Omega is way different. And on the quotes page, they have him named as Spike, though Spike was the guy who was throwing the bone-like spikes at Wolverine in the forest.

They also have Omega Red listed as a character. What the hell?

Ulfednar

« Reply #85 on: 31 May 2006, 01:46 »

Aw man, it'd be awesome to have Apocalypse and Omega Red in the movies! Also, the Sentinels!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #86 on: 31 May 2006, 11:40 »

Apocalypse would be awesome.

Because I am soooo tired of Magneto now.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

AceGun

« Reply #87 on: 31 May 2006, 12:28 »

I just hope that ten years from now they choose a suitable story to end all of the Marvel movie fanchises together.

Like, make a two part Onslaught movie.  That would be awesome.

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #88 on: 31 May 2006, 14:49 »

Quote from: Spinless
Rapidly changing daylight aside...
Juggernaut: His mutant power is his strength. The jewel gives him complete invulnerability making him completely invincible. With the jewel he doesn't need to eat or sleep or breathe either.

Clearly he didn't have the gem in the movie.

Pedant: in the 616 universe, Juggernaut isn't a mutant at all - all his powers came from the Crimson Ruby of Cyttorak (and were gained by touching it, not by keeping it).  In the Ultimate Universe, Juggernaut is a mutant and all his powers come from his mutation.
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #89 on: 01 Jun 2006, 00:47 »

Quote from: messeduplilkid
/End Life x 3

*rimshot*

But seriously. I enjoyed it, despite its lameness.
Also, I'm pretty much willing to forgive Halle Berry if she sleeps with me... in the Storm outfit.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #90 on: 01 Jun 2006, 03:10 »

Quote from: AceGun
I just hope that ten years from now they choose a suitable story to end all of the Marvel movie fanchises together.

Like, make a two part Onslaught movie.  That would be awesome.

But then they will just put all the good superheros in an alternate universe and make it actually pretty awesome and then just do some shitty crossover and confuse the living shit out of me.

Not cool.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

AceGun

« Reply #91 on: 01 Jun 2006, 07:36 »

Quote from: ForteBass

Also, I'm pretty much willing to forgive Halle Berry if she sleeps with me... in the Storm outfit.

Did anyone see her on Conan O'Brien?  She says that she wears the costume for sex all the time.  I believe my head exploded.

Jedit

« Reply #92 on: 01 Jun 2006, 09:22 »

Quote from: AceGun
Did anyone see her on Conan O'Brien?  She says that she wears the costume for sex all the time.  I believe my head exploded.

Say what you will about Halle Berry's acting, but the woman does have a wicked and self-deprecating sense of humour.  For that I like her.
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #93 on: 01 Jun 2006, 10:27 »

She actually showed up to accept her Raspberry Award for Catwoman. Halle Berry is aces in my book just for that.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Electric Monk

« Reply #94 on: 01 Jun 2006, 10:31 »

Now if she'd only do something to show that Oscar she got for Monster's Ball wasn't just a fluke...

Jedit

« Reply #95 on: 01 Jun 2006, 11:44 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
She actually showed up to accept her Raspberry Award for Catwoman. Halle Berry is aces in my book just for that.

She not only showed up, she also parodied her ... fulsome Oscar-winning speech.

Electric Monk: Berry's Oscar was no fluke.  She just didn't get it for acting, is all.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #96 on: 01 Jun 2006, 16:10 »

I got bored and read the Wiki on some of the characters of the X-Men.  One that made me sad was the Wiki on Toad.
Now, I'm not much of a comic geek... I've seen some of the X-Men cartoons and whatnot, but I don't own a single comic.  But even I know that a lot of this stuff is wrong.
The Toad's strength has increased slightly over the years. It has been written that he is able to lift one ton with his arms and press three tons with his legs. Toad also has a very flexible spine, allowing him to remain in a crouching position comfortably for hours, though he can stand if he wishes. He also has gained the ability to extend his tongue great distances and ensnare objects and people. He is also able to spit a caustic phlegmatic substance. These last two abilities were invented in the movie, but the comic writers liked the traits so much they decided to write them into the character in the comics as well, when he was enhanced by the Stranger's equipment.

I mean, honestly.  Even with my miniscule knowledge of X-Men, I know that this is wrong.  "Invented in the movie"?

I think this is one of the biggest problems with the movies that X-Men fans have.  A lot of people watch the movie and accept it as real canon, which it's not.
Of course I just always thought Toad was kinda cool, so.  Y'know.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

poeticallybored

« Reply #97 on: 01 Jun 2006, 17:13 »

There are couple things in the Marvel universe that were included from spin-off variants. For example, X23 (Wolverine's clone/daughter) originated as a character on the X-Men: Evolution cartoon show and earned her own comic because of strong positive feedback. I guess Toad's powers are another example.

AceGun

« Reply #98 on: 02 Jun 2006, 07:56 »

If my memory serves me, they modeled the latest incarnation of Cerebra after the movie design of Cerebro.  Also, after the first movie, they started having the X-Jet rise up from under the basketball court in the comics as well.

there are quite a few other design things that they took from the movies and used in the comics.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #99 on: 02 Jun 2006, 13:36 »

Okay, in the second mutant charge (after the blowdart guns are destroyed), why are the mutants just running at the X-Men? They don't even attempt to use their powers! Now I know that it would get a little chaotic and whatnot, but the movie could not be made much worse than it already was.

Where the hell was Gambit?! I've been promised Gambit for two movies now, and I'm getting pissed.

I know its been said repeatedly already, but Cyclops getting dead off-camera is not cool to the power of ><DONGZ>.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up