THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 03:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I Have Never Heard of That  (Read 35261 times)

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
I Have Never Heard of That
« Reply #50 on: 31 May 2006, 19:18 »

Free Beer. i know nothing about them, save that they were named that to get people to come to their shows.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #51 on: 31 May 2006, 19:20 »

I am pretty sure that I do not know any obscure bands at all.  I mean, I love music & all that, but I'm more of a passive "listen to interesting-sounding stuff as I find it" kind of guy rather than an "actively pursue new music" one.

That said, of all the bands mentioned in this thread I've only heard edIT.  Everything else is totally new.  I agree with Spinless, by the way.  Since people started explaining these obscure bands a bit better the thread has become a lot more useful to me.

timehat

« Reply #52 on: 31 May 2006, 22:17 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
Ummmm... probably the Flower Kings.

I get the impression from the few times I've listened to them, as well as from a friend who has listened to them a lot that they are basically a Yes knockoff. Don't get me wrong, I really like some Yes stuff, but yeah. If you're into more of that, go for it, I guess.

Alusa Fallax, the band I listed earlier, is an Italian Prog band who only released one album before breaking up, so even among Italian Prog bands, they're pretty obscure. It's a really cool album though.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #53 on: 31 May 2006, 22:42 »

I misread that as Free Bear. I think that's even better.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: 31 May 2006, 23:19 »

Quote from: Lummer

ARSIS!!

I've been ranting about these guys for, what, a year and a half now? Their drummer is brilliant. Have you heard about that Death Metal Ballet thing they were working on?

Crown of Autumn are woefully obscure gothic/medieval metal from Italy who released one demo and an album of sheer fucking brilliance in 1997. Towers of Doleful Triumph and Thou Mayst in Me Behold are two of my favourite tracks of all time.

Backworld is an american psychedelic/apocalyptic folk artist. He was taught guitar by nuns, collaborated with JG Thirlwell of Foetus and Lydia Lunch, and he was signed to World Serpent Records back in the day. Now he's on Eislicht with other obscure neo-folk gems such as Ostara, Neutral and Sonne Hagal.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

sjbrot

« Reply #55 on: 31 May 2006, 23:31 »

From the ashes of Mclusky... Shooting at Unarmed Men. I was pretty shocked when I stumbled on this.

Oh, and Blood Meridian are from Vancouver and Ladyhawk are from Kelowna, which apparently has an industry solely made up of beer and boat sales.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #56 on: 31 May 2006, 23:38 »

Quote from: est
That said, of all the bands mentioned in this thread I've only heard edIT.  Everything else is totally new.  I agree with Spinless, by the way.  Since people started explaining these obscure bands a bit better the thread has become a lot more useful to me.

Since you've heard of edIT I shall explain for others.
edIt is a female glitchcore artist signed to Planet Mu records. She tends to use a lot more instruments than traditional breaks/glitchcore.

How about OOO?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

notgoodnight

« Reply #57 on: 31 May 2006, 23:45 »

not really as obscure as it is that I've noticed that no one has ever really heard of them...

Jump, Little Children.

My favorite band EVER, from the sounds of it, they are a lot different than the bands being described here. They are a very ecclectic mix of rock, irish folk, and white boy rapper who plays the accordian. They're better live than they are recorded. Their multi-instrumentialist plays the accordian, irish tin whistle, harmonica, traditional/hot pink electric mandolin, and is the aforementioned white boy rapper. Their bass player rocks the standup bass harder than I've ever seen it rocked. I guess many who know them would put them in the category of "mellowed out hippie music," although I wouldn't put them in that category.

I've always had a hard time trying to describe their sound. They're a mostly regional band, which explains why many people haven't really heard of them. Unfortunately, they've broken up, but they did just release a new live album.

I know way too much about them. I hope at least one person here likes them :-/

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #58 on: 01 Jun 2006, 00:20 »

Well, I figure I may as well describe Strawberry Path, since I am kind of bored.

I found them poking around Indietorrents, and when I saw "Japanese Prog Rock" I figured I could use them as some kind of elitism leverage over my circle of prog nerd friends, when I was first getting into the genre, and felt really out of place in any of their conversations about music.

But yeah, they are Japanese Prog Rock, that reminds me of a lot of different bands at points. Kinda Kansas, kind of Pink Floyd, and oddly enough, a bit of Motorhead influence (Man, I am not looking for that fancy O with the dots right now) There are also some pretty Hendrix-esque guitar solos at points.

It is pretty awesome.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Fortnight

« Reply #59 on: 01 Jun 2006, 00:24 »

It's funny you mention Jump, Little Children as I JUST heard about them!
Just yesterday I was talking to my friend who, gigantic Leonard Cohen fan that he is, upped and decided that day to try and go find every cover of "Hallehlujah" he could. And he told me that he hit jackpot, totalled to about 50 or so. Well, he sent me some of the best, and one of them was by Jump, Little Children, a band we both never heard about but whose name we were very much amused by.
THAT'S THE END OF MY STORY, YAY
So anway, I've been meaning to find out more about them. You'll have to tell me where to start!

And adding on my own contribution:
The Elastik Band only ever put out one song, called "Spazz".
And it's a shame, because it's a great fucking song, whenenver I play it at work people are always asking who it is.
The only place it exists now is in a boxset called "Nuggets" which collects songs from the first wave of pyschedlic garage bands, and it was my reason for getting it. The whole thing is fantastic though.

Gah, sorry if some of this is wonky, sleeping pill jsut kicked in hard as I was writting it so I can't tell. Makes it hard edit

OllieA

« Reply #60 on: 01 Jun 2006, 05:20 »

Quote from: notgoodnight
Jump, Little Children.

I've only heard 'Cathedrals', and thought that was amazing. Any other recommendations?

Oh by the way, hello everyone.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #61 on: 01 Jun 2006, 07:01 »

www.thewinks.net">The Winks
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

quietnow

• Furry furrier
« Reply #62 on: 01 Jun 2006, 07:49 »

Quote from: E. Spaceman
Quote from: Spinless

They kinda failed right there didn't they? I haven't heard them and I'm already more interested in what they look like. I'd ingore the music and just stare at the costumes...like that Gram Rabbit band, nobody actually knows what they sound like because they're too busy stairing at the dancing bunny.

Yes indeed. I saw them live without having listened to anything by them before and all I was thinking throughout the first sng was "Those bunnny suits are nice, I wonder how they look without the mask". I was actually corrected on this a few minutes ago, they do it so that the audience doesn't focus on any of them individually, but as a band.

Quote from: Tommy
aside from deerhoof this may be an oxymoron.

!!!
Aquabats
Beach Boys
Black Flag
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Dead Kennedys
Grandaddy
Jane's Addiction
Pavement
Primus
Rilo Kiley

X
Quote from: Sam
Anyone who doesn't have a crush on Kari is doing it wrong.

notgoodnight

« Reply #63 on: 01 Jun 2006, 09:11 »

Awesome Jump Little Children songs...I'm really biased since they are my favorite band, and I would love to list every song they've ever made because I think they're all amazing...however, these are my all-time favorite JLC songs (sort of categorized by JLC time period), and hopefully you guys love them too! :)

*Earlyish JLC*
Dark and Lonely Man
Quiet (at concerts, everyone shouts the word quiet as loud as they can)
Because of You
Dancing Virginia
Opium (the live version is so much better)
Innocent Kiss
Easter Parade
Copper Kettle
Taibreamh (instrumental tin whistle....sooooooooo amazing)
Forget My Loss
Just a Second

*The Magazine Years*
Not Today
Violent Dreams
Come Out Clean
Body Parts (I refer to this as "Matt Being Sex on a Stick")
My Guitar (seeing this song live is quite an event....the two people/one guitar action is very exciting)
Say Goodnight (at concerts, everyone claps twice after the words "turn out the lights")
(actually, you're probably better off just buying/downloading the entire "Magazine" album)

*More Recent*
Vertigo
Mother's Eyes
Made it Fine
Overkill
Singer
Pigeon
(the first six songs on this section are their most "artsy" songs fyi)
Dim and the Dark
Rains in Asia
Broken
Requiem
Daylight
Darkest Love (the second part of this song with the spoken word/singing combo is freaking great)
By The Way They Dance (the unofficial wedding song of JLC)

They all sound a lot better live...I recommend looking them up on www.archive.org. They have about a million concerts up on there, and trust me...JLC is a better live band than they are recorded. Unfortunately, they've broken up, but at least there's the archive.

And I apologize for the length...I get really into it ;)

OllieA

« Reply #64 on: 01 Jun 2006, 10:15 »

Wow, thanks!

brandie

« Reply #65 on: 01 Jun 2006, 20:49 »

Quote from: Unosuke
Peelander-Z
I want to love you for that.

MEDIUM RARE!!!!

Joyeuse

« Reply #66 on: 01 Jun 2006, 21:59 »

I pick Super Butter Dog because I think they're pretty obscure, and because their name is awesome.  Band from Japan whose music has a bit of a funk influence to it.

Paul Kemp

« Reply #67 on: 02 Jun 2006, 19:17 »

Uh... Creed.

roint

« Reply #68 on: 02 Jun 2006, 19:46 »

Red Martian? A local band in Seattle: www.redmartian.com

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #69 on: 03 Jun 2006, 07:11 »

Xasthur.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Manta Ray

« Reply #70 on: 03 Jun 2006, 12:02 »

TSOL - It stands for True Sounds of Liberty, and they're a pretty decent punk band. They've got a great song called Anticop.

Jeffrey Lewis - Anti-folk artist from New York, he's on Rough Trade and has collaborated with Kimya Dawson from the Moldy Peaches. He's into telling stories in his songs, like the chelsea hotel oral sex song in which he sings about meeting a girl and talking to her about the Leonard Cohen song. He's got three albums out now.

After looking up TSOL, they look to have been pretty big at one stage, so I'm probably going to get flamed by people who think it's old hat.

Shaft

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Bass Cleft
« Reply #71 on: 03 Jun 2006, 13:21 »

Polytechnic

Good stuff, listen to "PEP"

How can they be obscure when they're plastered all over Myspace?
Quote from: tommydski
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

quietnow

• Furry furrier
« Reply #72 on: 03 Jun 2006, 13:41 »

Quote from: Manta Ray
After looking up TSOL, they look to have been pretty big at one stage, so I'm probably going to get flamed by people who think it's old hat.

...me.  pretty decent?  tsol is old had and far beyond decent.  in a good way.
Quote from: Sam
Anyone who doesn't have a crush on Kari is doing it wrong.

Action_franky

« Reply #73 on: 03 Jun 2006, 14:15 »

Girl(s) in a coma  

is a simi-local band they have some albums out right now and they tour (mostly the southern states)

so i'm not sure if they count for this game.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #74 on: 03 Jun 2006, 14:22 »

Mr. Velcro Fastener: Finnish electopop kraftwerk-esque duo (Two guys named Tatu).  Otherside was probably one of my favorite albums of 2002, and Telemacho, their release this year, is on par with that.  Anyone who uses a robotic vocoder in their songs is aces in my book.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #75 on: 04 Jun 2006, 04:53 »

Quote from: JLM
Mr. Velcro Fastener: Finnish electopop kraftwerk-esque duo (Two guys named Tatu).  Otherside was probably one of my favorite albums of 2002, and Telemacho, their release this year, is on par with that.  Anyone who uses a robotic vocoder in their songs is aces in my book.

It's Cynic for you dude!

JLM

« Reply #76 on: 04 Jun 2006, 09:12 »

huh?

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #77 on: 04 Jun 2006, 10:11 »

Quote from: JLM
huh?

Robotic Vocoder = Cynic :)

Aneurhythmia

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #78 on: 04 Jun 2006, 10:58 »

haha
I'm sure he wants to jump from electropop to technical death metal.

Hell, I'll go ahead and recommend Rabies by Skinny Puppy and that last Meshuggah album.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #79 on: 04 Jun 2006, 11:01 »

Louise Cyphre

They're a really good "screemo"/"emo-viloence" hardcore band from Germany.  I just found them through the Electric Human Project Distro (which I found through Funer Diner, the band that is remotely responsible for the foufra.com 'what is emo' webpage).

Good.  Good.

Houdinimachine

• http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
« Reply #80 on: 04 Jun 2006, 11:32 »

Menomena - Northwestern American band that is best known for creating its own mixing program to put snippets of instrumentals together to form a song and then learning the song from the actual mix. (This is awesome in that their music plays like a recording but is all done in one bit. AKA in their first song on "I am the Fun Blame Monster," they have sudden stops like an electronica band where the song dies, but immediately picks back up again. Really fun stuff.)

That said, I'm sure someone here has heard of them as all the people I think are indie are pretty much staples here. Heh.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #81 on: 04 Jun 2006, 11:34 »

Quote from: Houdinimachine
Menomena -

That said, I'm sure someone here has heard of them as all the people I think are indie are pretty much staples here. Heh.

plus they're on polyvinyl and I think jeph has mentioned them once... I think.  Good band tho.

Houdinimachine

« Reply #82 on: 04 Jun 2006, 11:46 »

Man I give up. The only obscure bands I know are local bands thus disqualified.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #83 on: 04 Jun 2006, 12:21 »

Man I give up. The only obscure bands I know are local bands thus disqualified.

well, I didn't know all the facts you posted about them!  Don't give up!!  I didn't mean to sound like a jerk if I did in the last post.

Houdinimachine

« Reply #84 on: 04 Jun 2006, 12:45 »

Heh I wasn't offended or anything, I just really have no obscure tastes that I didn't learn directly from this forum or from a friend who basically just introduced me to the basics of indie like Neutral Milk Hotel.

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #85 on: 04 Jun 2006, 13:58 »

Menomena

Doo doobie doo-doo!
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Paul Kemp

« Reply #86 on: 05 Jun 2006, 00:53 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Quote from: Paul Kemp
Roky Erickson (it was a photo finish between his name, and the name of the band he used to be in, The 13th Floor Elevators).

Coulda just said "& Blieb Alien" and you would have won. Well, except I still woulda caught you.

po' girl are a folk band. The Pizzicato Five are a J-Pop band on Matador. The Snitches are from Canada and play power-pop. Blood Meridian are country-rock and I don't know where they're from. Same with Ladyhawk.

Do you live in the midwest? Roky is playing Intonation in Chicago later this month, and I'm trying to find someone who cares enough to come.

brandie

« Reply #87 on: 06 Jun 2006, 15:11 »

Mong Hang

La Creme

« Reply #88 on: 06 Jun 2006, 17:05 »

Quote from: E. Spaceman
Austin TV

I LOVE YOU NOW.

I'm gonna go with....
Consider The Source.

They play basically what would happen if Secret Chiefs 3 and Behold... The Arctopus had a lovechild.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #89 on: 06 Jun 2006, 17:22 »

Quote from: timehat
Quote from: Storm Rider
Ummmm... probably the Flower Kings.

I get the impression from the few times I've listened to them, as well as from a friend who has listened to them a lot that they are basically a Yes knockoff. Don't get me wrong, I really like some Yes stuff, but yeah. If you're into more of that, go for it, I guess.

I like them a lot more than Yes, actually, but I see where the comparison comes from. They've got the same sort of spacey, texture-based prog rock thing going on. They're more technical, though, and I like the way they manage to pull that off even though their music flows so well. A lot of prog rock is super highly structured, as in, there has to be X number of solos in a song for it to count as a good one, the guitar solo always comes first, etc. With the Flower Kings, I get the feeling they just sorta follow what they come up as long as they feel like, and it's refreshing.

Not to mention Roine Stolt sounds like David Gilmour's son if he were raised by Alex Lifeson.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #90 on: 06 Jun 2006, 17:25 »

Quote from: La Creme
[

I'm gonna go with....
Consider The Source.

They play basically what would happen if Secret Chiefs 3 and Behold... The Arctopus had a lovechild.

I am so looking that up, because the description just makes me squee.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

eternie

« Reply #91 on: 06 Jun 2006, 18:33 »

Pronghorn. Psychobilly band in my town. They are awesome.

timehat

« Reply #92 on: 06 Jun 2006, 18:52 »

Consider The Source.

Sounds interesting. I'll either love it or want to kill myself; it could go either way.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #93 on: 06 Jun 2006, 21:40 »

Knows Austin TV

I wasn't expecting that (although compared to any other mexican post-rock they are huge).
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

IntermittentEvil

« Reply #94 on: 06 Jun 2006, 23:59 »

Especially Likely Sloth!
Side project of the bassist from Agalloch that is weirdness for weirdness' sake: high-pitched vocals, samples, and simplistic keyboards.  Also released two CDs with absolutely no music on them.  No sound.  Nothing.  I think they might not have even contained blank CDs.

Afrirampo.  They're on Tzadik, but I had to throw them out just in case, because I picked up "Kore Ga Mayaku Da" for its low price and odd cover art and found out it was really good!  It's sorta a punk duo, but with lots of odd things going on, mostly from the two girls howling and breaking songs down very soon after entering them.  Plus, the riffs are suprisingly good when they're playing riffs.  Has anyone else heard of them?  Are they actually well known?  I don't know much about them...

brandie

« Reply #95 on: 07 Jun 2006, 05:06 »

!!  My friend just sent me some Afrirampo and I was totally blown away!

Filk

« Reply #96 on: 07 Jun 2006, 10:43 »

Thalarion - Slovakian death/doom metal. Nice combaination of female and male vocals. Atmospheric and doomy.

Power symphony - Italian power metal. Think goth version of Nightwish.

Wallmen - American indie pop/rock of weirdness. Not sure how obscure they are, but i've neer heard people talking about them. They've been around since the 80s. Their music sounds like some sorts of weird garage experiments, but pretty cool.

CagedinSanity

« Reply #97 on: 07 Jun 2006, 14:39 »

Tech n9ne? Hollywood Undead?

99% of people I encounter with this band name has never heard of them. Very sad. Both bands are good but way different in types of music. (I have an extremely wide range of music taste)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #98 on: 07 Jun 2006, 15:12 »

Lemme preface this by saying: I've totally heard both of those. and I actually like Tech N9ne (shut up). They are not particularly "underground", if you will.

However, Hollywood Undead are FUCKING TERRIBLE OH MY GOD IT MAKES ME WANT TO PUNCH SOMEONE IN THE FUCKING JAW AND THEN URINATE IN THEIR MOUTH it's so bad.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Kaytea

« Reply #99 on: 07 Jun 2006, 15:14 »

Trait.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up