THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 19:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 78   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to (and discuss it).  (Read 910115 times)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
What are you listening to (and discuss it).
« Reply #150 on: 15 Jun 2006, 16:18 »

Well, the fact that they'd only get through 3 songs doesn't discourage me. I'm more worried about whether they put on a good show or not. It doesn't matter much. I'll probably end up going anyways, since it's not often anybody comes through Kansas.

And Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls is ace.

Ace enough that I just started listening to it.

At what point did Pop Will Eat Itself become shit, exactly? I have two albums, although I haven't listened to them much ( I have This Is the Day...This Is the Hour...This Is This! and The Looks or the Lifestyle).
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #151 on: 15 Jun 2006, 17:13 »

Lostprophets - Hello Again

Shit guys, what happened?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #152 on: 15 Jun 2006, 18:37 »

my orgasmic new Shellac cd.
I like the way you work it.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #153 on: 15 Jun 2006, 19:08 »

@Skibas: Is that new material?

@ Khar and Kai: There are  number of (completely legal) GY!BE live shows for download at the Internet Archive, none of the shows there have Rocket Falls though. I still think they sound great. BTW, I didn't know they were touring, I had heard A Silver Mt Zion were touring but not GY!BE, are you certain?

Acid Mothers Temple - IAO Chant from The Cosmic Inferno

This is the best track on the album, it has many many parts that sound completely unrelated but somehow manage to come together.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Faith and Poe

« Reply #154 on: 15 Jun 2006, 20:40 »

Right now, I've my 'Motivation' playlist running. It's mostly Big Bad Voodoo Daddies, Coheed and Cambria, and Techno. Sort of a strange mix, but it keeps my fingers goin' and my foot tapping.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #155 on: 15 Jun 2006, 20:55 »

Ricky Pharoe - Marry and Reproduce

I met this cat wandering in downtown Seattle this afternoon. Played me a sample of his work. This is some positive rap, and I gotta say I support this dude. He was actually pretty classy too.

http://www.1983inc.com/
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Maedros

« Reply #156 on: 15 Jun 2006, 20:59 »

The Decemberists - We Both Go Down Together

Probably my favorite band of its type, I must say. I wish they'd play in St. Louis, though. :(

Zaarin

« Reply #157 on: 16 Jun 2006, 02:35 »

Proud Scum - "Suicide II", from a compilation of obscure late '70s NZ punk called Hate Your Neighbours.

It begins with a spoken word description of the birth of one John Atrocity, who apparently had "the biggest pair of ears anyone had ever seen". Apparently John grows up to join a band called Proud Scum, but then leaves it six months afterwards and hurls himself off Grafton Bridge. Any Aucklanders would know that this isn't a fall you'd be likely to walk away from.

Anyway, the lyrics sort of degenerate to basically "you've got big ears, hurry up and kill yourself, John". It's funny, in a mean sort of way.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #158 on: 16 Jun 2006, 04:10 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Pop Will Eat Itself - Everything's Cool

These guys were awesome before they became crap.

Their instant live album system is fucking awesome.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #159 on: 16 Jun 2006, 04:41 »

Djosos Krost - Bloody Day

Danish spacy DOB MASSIVE!

Which reminds that Bill Laswell's compilation Trojan Dub Massive: Chapter 2 is dubtastic and needs to listened to by anyone with even a passing interest in dub.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #160 on: 16 Jun 2006, 06:39 »

Quote from: E. Spaceman
BTW, I didn't know they were touring, I had heard A Silver Mt Zion were touring but not GY!BE, are you certain?

I just checked, and yeah, I forgot Silver Mt. Zion and Godspeed shared the same website. I like Silver Mt. Zion though (albeit not as much), so I might still go.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #161 on: 16 Jun 2006, 08:40 »

I dunno, I didn't like where PWEI went when they got really commercial in the very late eighties/early nineties.

Coil - Where Even the Darkness is Something to See

It took me a while to get into them fully, but fuck do I love Coil.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #162 on: 16 Jun 2006, 13:15 »

@ e.spaceman - not new stuff, 1000 hurts. it came out in 2000, i just bought it yesterday.

hot chip - playboy (hot chip made me grin like an idiot when i first heard them, which was inconveniently on a public bus).

NOW:
Real Time With Bill Maher - Episode 78 podcast!

I <3 Bill Maher so much. He's part of my trio of hot American middled aged men; Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are the other two.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #163 on: 16 Jun 2006, 18:29 »

Tom Waits - Gods Away on Business

Catchy.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #164 on: 16 Jun 2006, 18:42 »

@Skibas: Bill Maher is amazingly funny. Seriously. Real Time is amazing.

The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun

George Harrison is totally a better songwriter than Lennon*

*this statement is blasphameous in at least 38 states.

wigfried

« Reply #165 on: 16 Jun 2006, 18:48 »

comets on fire - avatar

ok, well, I love this, obviously. it gets off to a bit of a slow start but it is basically fantastic all over.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #166 on: 16 Jun 2006, 18:53 »

Type O Negative - My Girlfriends Girlfriend

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #167 on: 16 Jun 2006, 20:46 »

Four Tet - Hands

Everyone should listen to this dude. I don't care. Everyone. Also: I totally just spent my Friday night listening to Mark Hoppus' podcasts and dancing in my kitchen to The Faint. I don't care how lame that sounds, I feel good.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #168 on: 16 Jun 2006, 23:43 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Ayreon Day n10: Memoruies

i think this si like the onl;y album ever with a fucking twist ending

Man, I would not even have got it at all if I hadn't bought Into the Electric Castle first.

The Human Equation is totally becoming one of my favorite albums ever though.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #169 on: 17 Jun 2006, 07:16 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle
I totally just spent my Friday night listening to Mark Hoppus' podcasts and dancing in my kitchen to The Faint. I don't care how lame that sounds, I feel good.

That is actually ridiculously awsome

The Cure - Killing An Arab
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #170 on: 17 Jun 2006, 07:38 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle
my orgasmic new Shellac cd.

Go Shellac! ... and it's actually about time they release a new album.

Jawbox - Iodine

After having spent way too much money and dedication on finding Jawbox's s/t album, I finally have it! And I think I can safely say: It's at least as good as For Your Own Special Sweetheart.

headisadinosaur

« Reply #171 on: 17 Jun 2006, 09:01 »

Pelican - March Into the Sea

Twenty minutes of pure loving. All instrumental, 3/4 rocking 1/4 acoustic. Easily my favorite of theirs, as it's a lot more dynamic than anything else they've done, I think... maybe. =x
Still kicking myself for missing them last week. <shakes fist at summer classes>

daddsy

« Reply #172 on: 17 Jun 2006, 14:18 »

Isis - The Begining And The End

kinda mathy progressive metal. not hardcore, but pretty interesting.

mediocrity_wire

« Reply #173 on: 17 Jun 2006, 14:41 »

I like Oceanic, but I can't listen to it too often

Break in the New Year   / Cursive
I think this is a very underrated Cursive CD, but their other stuff is probably better.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #174 on: 17 Jun 2006, 14:44 »

Oceanic is a pretty amazing album, one of my favorites

Hot Water Music - 220 Years
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #175 on: 17 Jun 2006, 14:53 »

Skade - Maskinfeber(Machinefever)

It's crazy fun having your own little noise hobby project, and I happen to think that this track is actually good... in an amateurish kind of way ;)
All the tracks I have done so far have been more like freak accidents than carefully crafted soundscapes.
But I don't mind really, I am just having fun with being noisy and slightly abrasive.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #176 on: 17 Jun 2006, 15:26 »

220 yeears is my favorite Hot Water Music song. and one of my favorite songs evar, actually.

Meat Puppets - Severed Goddess Hand

The Meat Puppets are amazing.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #177 on: 17 Jun 2006, 16:10 »

Kai, yes and yes.

I'm listening to New Sound Collective live at New Morning (2003).
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #178 on: 17 Jun 2006, 19:22 »

Turbostaat - Die Stulle nach dem Schiss

German punk, and for once with good lyrics. From the northernmost city in Germany as well.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #179 on: 17 Jun 2006, 19:45 »

Jefferson Airplane - She Has Funny Cars

Grace Slick's voice is beautiful. It practically makes Surrealistic Pillow for me.

Nemba

« Reply #180 on: 17 Jun 2006, 21:15 »

Dizzy Gillespie Quintet, feat. Charlie Parker - A Night in Tunisia (Live at the NYC town hall, 1945)

It's fucking amazing. The whole of that concert was. I keep being thankful that someone bothered to record a concert where the main musicians never showed up (this was before Diz and Bird were famous), and that it was found again and brought to us. Whoever did that are some awesome awesome people.

Zaarin

« Reply #181 on: 18 Jun 2006, 02:24 »

I'm listening to "Stop If You Think You've Heard This One Before", from the Smiths' final album, Strangeways, Here We Come.

I came to the album expecting a disappointing, scattered effort, knowing the tensions within the band at the time. But I've been pleasantly surprised to find a cohesive, interesting piece of work, and based on what I've heard so far, I'd certainly call it equal in quality to the The Queen Is Dead, if not better. I can definitely see how "Death of a Disco Dancer" influenced Thom Yorke and co, for example.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #182 on: 18 Jun 2006, 02:35 »

Jim O'Rourke - I'm Happy, and I'm Singing, and a 1,2,3,4

Simply a fantastic album, anyone who likes IDM or ambient should be interested. Its calm and meditative/repetive even though there is hell of a lot going on. I didn't particularly like him in Sonic Youth(I guess I am stuck in the 80's regarding them) but damn is he wonderful on his own!
And I'm Singing is especially a great track, it is also the shortest here, I'm Happy is 11 min. and  and a 1,2,3,4 is some 20 min. long.
I have to go find more of his stuff really :)

nuisance

« Reply #183 on: 18 Jun 2006, 03:03 »

That's the only album he's done like that.  You could try the Fenn'O'Berg releases, I guess, but they're not quite the same.  They're collobations between him, (Christian) Fennesz and MEGO label boss Pita (Peter Rehberg).  Not too shabby.

Actually, have you heard Fennesz?  'I'm Happy and I'm Singing and 1, 2, 3, 4' came out the same year as his 'Endless Summer' and both are excellent examples of how people identified as guitarists can make fucking awesome electronic music.  Fennesz is quite big with indie/rock nerrrrds because his music has steadily incorporated more and more traditional ideas (like, you know, rhythm and harmony ;)).

I'm listening to Gramm's 'Personal Rock'.  One of my favourite albums and a real turning point for me when I heard it in 99.  Some kind of half-way point between the soft and packed-with-noises ambience of Eno's 'Ambient 4: On Land' and house.  Combined my interests in dance music and listening elecrtonica in a way I couldn't really imagine being this ... deep.  I've been following the producer pretty religiously ever since - his name's Jan Jelinek.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #184 on: 18 Jun 2006, 03:16 »

I've heard of Fennesz but haven't listened to him, should I just start with Endless Summer?

I am possibly going to a three-day electronica festival called Forma Nova, so I might as well familiarize myself with it. Ullrich Schnauss is coming, he's pretty big isn't he?

thedevilissix

« Reply #185 on: 18 Jun 2006, 03:55 »

Final Fantasy - "Song Song Song".
Oh man.  If I have any reason to will today to go very quickly, it'd be so I can go ahead & buy "He Poos Clouds" tomorrow.  
Mr. Pallet just has a real way with coherent composition & wittily profound lyrics.  That's before we mention the fiddle.

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #186 on: 18 Jun 2006, 04:07 »

Butthole Surfers - 22 Going On 23

Whatever the hell these guys were on, it must've been good. Demented genius.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

nuisance

« Reply #187 on: 18 Jun 2006, 04:09 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum
I've heard of Fennesz but haven't listened to him, should I just start with Endless Summer?

Yep, I think 'Endless Summer' is a good place to start.

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum
I am possibly going to a three-day electronica festival called Forma Nova, so I might as well familiarize myself with it. Ullrich Schnauss is coming, he's pretty big isn't he?

Yeah, Ulrich Schnauss is really big in the (tiny) world of "indietronica".  That's basically quiet electronic music that's mining similar moods / musical themes to 90s shoegazer stuff and wandering post-rock (Godspeed et al), but doing it with computers instead of a band.  It's kinda mopey and tries to pull on the heart strings, always gets called "cinematic" and shit. :)  Maybe this decade's version of what 4AD was doing in the 80s?

I did a wee search for the line-up of that festival, haven't heard of most of the artists.  I'd still probably check out all the links on the myspace page and go anyway, because by its nature this kind of music is pretty anonymous!  It's not like soft instrumental stuff gets massive airplay anywhere.

Plaid are very highly regarded, really distinctive, highly melodic stuff coming from a dance background.  They've been at it for yaers and still going strong, which is usually a good sign.  Their stuff is still "electronica", for sure (I mean DJs won't play it in a club or anything) but it's very beat-based and lively, as well as having all the interweaving melodies.  Very fiddly and baroque at times, it usually works out. ;)

.tape. is really nice, IMO.  Good nice, I mean. :)  He has an EP on Observatory Online that's free for download, so I won't bother describing what he's up to.

I think those are the only 3 names I've heard!

FWIW, some of my favourite music in this kind of vein is coming out of Copenhagen...  I like these guys in their various permutations: http://www.systemf3.com  I think they've all released records on the same label as Schnauss.  I'm in Japan, there's whole racks of this kind of thing available in even the big chain stores.  (= I'm in heaven ;))

Edit: Ulrich Schnauss has a track on this free compilation, Intelligent Toys 2, which is a little more beat-y than most of his, but is pretty indicative.  Those synths are too clean and sparkly for me.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #188 on: 18 Jun 2006, 05:49 »

Haunted TARDIS - Closing theme.

Jeez, the fucking bass! Some of these Dr. Who Remixes are pretty whack.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #189 on: 18 Jun 2006, 07:54 »

Wilco - She's A Jar.

I fucking love how the last line of this song COMPLETELY changes everything.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #190 on: 18 Jun 2006, 08:17 »

FWIW, some of my favourite music in this kind of vein is coming out of Copenhagen... I like these guys in their various permutations: http://www.systemf3.com I think they've all released records on the same label as Schnauss

I know them and have enjoyed Dub Tractor's More or Less Mono, Opiate's Sometimes EP and System-System. We have a bunch of really talented electronica artists here in Denmark. Wäldchengarten, Manual and that excentric guy Goodiepal also comes to mind.
I really should get some Goodiepal because he seems like just the kind of guy I'd like. You know touring with a mechanical bird, working and performing for patients at asylums on the Faroe Islands etc.
A good guy in other words :)

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #191 on: 18 Jun 2006, 09:52 »

Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven

I'm not really a big fan of the Pixies. But as a person who grew up on 90's rock I have to respect their impact on that eara. Plus, I kinda like them.
And Monkey Gone To Heaven is a great fucking song. It just ended, so I think I'm going to listen to the noise cover Liettterschpich did to that song on their last EP.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

chaosan

« Reply #192 on: 18 Jun 2006, 11:20 »

Cortez The Killer - Medusa

Cortez The Killer is out of Brooklyn, NY. They sound like a mix of APC/Tool with a little Muse, and (I think) Incubus thrown in. Theres only 3 snogs, but I think its pretty decent.

Check it: http://www.cortezthekiller.com

stevethepirate

« Reply #193 on: 18 Jun 2006, 11:24 »

wow, that sounds pretty decent, except I never really liked the singing in incubus songs. I have a couple buddies that would love that stuff though.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #194 on: 18 Jun 2006, 13:15 »

Wilco - I am Trying To Break Your Heart

This was the first Wilco song I listened to. Sad melaccholic vocals and guitar that become engulfed in noise.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #195 on: 18 Jun 2006, 13:42 »

Oh, I remember my first Wilco experience.

Q magazine gave away a free Glasto CD, and it had a live version of At Least That's What You Said on it. This majestic, six minute version. That's four and half minutes of Jeff Tweedy soloing like crazy. After that, I immediately went and bought A Ghost Is Born, and haven't looked back since. They're now my favourite non-defunct band.

Break Your Heart is easily my favourite song by them, no competition.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #196 on: 19 Jun 2006, 03:06 »

Husker Du - Broken Home, Broken Heart
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #197 on: 19 Jun 2006, 07:22 »

Zen Arcade is a marvelous album.

The Doors - Horse Latitudes

Some people have told me that Horse Latitudes is stupid pretentious bullshit and ruins the album for them. Fuck those guys.

mediocrity_wire

« Reply #198 on: 19 Jun 2006, 13:28 »

The Face That Launched 1000 Shits   / Death Cab for Cutie   
CD is sweet.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #199 on: 19 Jun 2006, 13:32 »

Royal Family & The Poor feat. Peter Hook - Voices

Okay. I AM HEREBY BANNING NEOFOLK BANDS FROM PLAYING CLIPS FROM 'THE GREAT BEAST SPEAKS' IN THE BACKGROUND OF YOUR SONGS.

Including me, it's just too tempting a thing to do!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 78   Go Up