THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 07:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have we had a thread yet about how bad the Shit my dad says tv series looks?  (Read 5662 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

because holy hell, it looks terrible.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

No I don't think we have.

Alright cool that's settled. Lock please
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

It is upsetting, because apparently the book is actually surprisingly good.  I got it for a friend and he reported back nothing but good things, so I was hoping that the TV show would surprise me.  But what I have seen of it so far from youtube clips has been half-assed, like they are only really going through the motions of making a TV show.  There are some moments when the feel of the twitter quotes version of the dad comes through, but mostly it's just William Shatner, who I know a lot of people venerate, but he plays pretty much the same character in every fucking show now, and his attitude doesn't seem to be right for the role.

SarahBeth

• Not quite a lurker

My family likes to watch it, so I thought perhaps it might be okay. BUT IT'S NOT!!! For me it is actually painful to watch. I just leave the room now. It's like the actors....I don't know, they're just saying things and thinking "Okay, this is going to be funny" and nothing else. Painful.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

It feels like a rehash of Everybody Loves Raymond except Frank is the main character.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2011, 20:22 by JD »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

The problem is that most of the things on the twitter page can't be said on television, so it really loses a lot in translation. I think I watched the first four or five episodes, hoping it would get better, but it was just... eh. If it were on cable and they could include everything from the twitter it could be the greatest show.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Is that weird

Or what?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Just to put things in perspective: This is obliterating 30 Rock, which it shares a timeslot with, in the ratings. It's a good thing NBC has nothing better to do than renew 30R because otherwise that would be bad news.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Just to put things in perspective: This is obliterating 30 Rock, which it shares a timeslot with, in the ratings. It's a good thing NBC has nothing better to do than renew 30R because otherwise that would be bad news.

Hey America, fuck you, you don't deserve Tina Fey anyway, jerks.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

SarahBeth

• Not quite a lurker

I'm in America, and I really like Tina Fey. She's freaking hilarious. Don't take her away! :)

Alex C

• comeback tour!

I dislike 30 Rock more than a little. Word play jokes don't go over my head, they just kinda bore me if they start getting in the way of the pacing. By contrast, I liked Mean Girls, but I felt like the jokes had more time to breathe in a movie format. 30 Rock's sheer density often takes the pleasure out of it for me.

Anyway, yeah, Shit My Dad Says is terrible and I don't understand how anyone can enjoy Shatner in that role. The Denny Crane role worked out OK for him because it was a side role and while the character was certainly ridiculous, a lot of that ridiculousness was a put on even the in context of the show. What little SMDS stuff I've read before, however, only hits me funny if the guy saying that stuff had more sincerity than bluster. It's kinda funny to think there's a guy out there who just genuinely thinks and raises his kids that way, particularly since the SMDS tweets read like if some pessimistic but decent advice was filtered through Lyle from Achewood. From what I've seen on the show, however, Shatner comes across more like he's openly fucking with his son's head, which is considerably less funny and a lot more douchey.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2011, 14:29 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Alex C

• comeback tour!

Double checked those SMDS tweets and it looks like that guy was more dickish than I remembered. Whatever. Still a horrible idea for network TV.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit

"Looks"?
From this article, I realized I am actually glad Twitter exists solely for the purpose of contextualizing every bad sitcom ever:

"Instead, the series has figured out a way to treat each and every one of its characters like a Twitter feed, full of pithy bites of information that suggest there's very little below the surface and jokes that strain for something beyond labored, obvious punchlines."

This is literally roughly 95% of sitcoms in the history of any network.

Pages: [1]   Go Up