THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2006 Albums Discussion  (Read 27805 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #100 on: 12 Sep 2006, 14:27 »

i was so disapointed with the new Motorhead. it's like they tried way too hard to copy Inferno (which cant be beat) and they failed. i hate to say it, but its true. very few of the songs have the same energy that Inferno had and some of the songs are blatant copies of songs off Inferno.
i like a couple songs on Kiss of Death but overall, i am disapointed.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

nuisance

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #101 on: 12 Sep 2006, 15:13 »

New Justin Timberlake and Basement Jaxx are both excellent.

dkordik

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #102 on: 14 Sep 2006, 00:10 »

Some 2006 albums I can't turn off once I've started them...

Ratatat - Classics
Sound Team - Movie Monster
People In Planes - As Far As The Eye Can See
Peeping Tom - s/t
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Prefuse 73 - Security Screenings
Ms. John Soda - Notes And The Like
Mellowdrone - Box

Gosh, it is hard to believe some of those came out this year. It seems like so long ago!

Narr

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #103 on: 14 Sep 2006, 09:04 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid
Also, I feel my own band's four releases so far this year - Death Throes, Riding On A Unicycle (With No Wheels And No Seat), The Filler EP and Neon Armageddon should all be on this list. Because we're awesome.

With any luck we can squeeze out a couple more albums - counting the Best Of - before the end of the year.
That would be the coolest thing ever.

They always talk about bands that "weren't around very long" like, say, Cream, which was only together for 3 years.  If a band could make like 4 albums in one year and then make a best of and then disband, it would be some kind of record.

valley_parade

• coprophage
2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #104 on: 14 Sep 2006, 12:39 »

Quote from: Scandanavian War Machine
i like a couple songs on Kiss of Death but overall, i am disapointed.

Yah, exactly. I just listed it because it's one of maybe three albums that were released this year that I actually have.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #105 on: 15 Sep 2006, 09:15 »

Quote from: Narr
Quote from: DynamiteKid
Also, I feel my own band's four releases so far this year - Death Throes, Riding On A Unicycle (With No Wheels And No Seat), The Filler EP and Neon Armageddon should all be on this list. Because we're awesome.

With any luck we can squeeze out a couple more albums - counting the Best Of - before the end of the year.
That would be the coolest thing ever.

They always talk about bands that "weren't around very long" like, say, Cream, which was only together for 3 years.  If a band could make like 4 albums in one year and then make a best of and then disband, it would be some kind of record.

Well, unfortunately we released our first album at the end of 2005, so I think we don't count for that any more.

This is all self-releasing, of course, we're not on a label. We just flog these ourselves. I mentioned myself because I thought it'd be funny.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Nuance

• Not quite a lurker
2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #106 on: 17 Sep 2006, 21:59 »

I've been generally surprised at how well TV on the Radio's newest has held up to all the hype.  I'm usually a bit disappointed by stuff that's been getting praised too death, too much expectations I suppose.  But I've not been able to get away from Return From Cookie Mountain since getting it.

!!!CPAOI!!!

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #107 on: 18 Sep 2006, 08:14 »

Just got it, looking forward to talking about it when I finish.

dkordik

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #108 on: 18 Sep 2006, 11:22 »

alright I see some people doing this so if we get to count albums that were really 2005 but had 2006 US releases I badly need to add:

Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites
The Figurines - Skeleton

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #109 on: 18 Sep 2006, 11:44 »

I gotta add Broken Boy Soldiers - The Raconteurs to my list. Solid, solid album.

Praeserpium Machinarum

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #110 on: 18 Sep 2006, 12:42 »

Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites
The Figurines - Skeleton

I don't think they count but whatever. Skeleton was good but I still can't see much worthwhile in ATGHK. Most of it just isn't good enough if you ask me. Frengers was great but this is a bit weak. Much like another big Danish release of 2005, Kashmir's No Balance Palace. They were both highly anticipated and unfortunately quite disappointing.

Skittish

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #111 on: 18 Sep 2006, 13:13 »

Yeah, The Hold Steady's album is pretty great.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #112 on: 18 Sep 2006, 13:56 »

Two new cd's I've downloaded recently (and hope to buy as soon as I have the cash) are Made Out Of Babies - Coward, and Battle Of Mice - A Day Of Nights.  It's the same singer in both bands; MOOB sounds like a more fucked up version of Isis with kind of creepy, angry, serial-killer girl vocals and BOM has more of an ambient feel to it (courtesy of the guitar and keyboard work from Josh Graham of Neurosis and Red Sparowes) which makes it almost a kind of chill cd...except that it's scary as all hell...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Garcin2

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #113 on: 19 Sep 2006, 11:59 »

Quote from: est

- Tiga, Sexor

Holy crap!  Tiga and I went to the same high school in Montreal, I was a few grades under him, in the same grade as his younger brother.  I had no idea he put at an album, especially not one that was big with Australians.

Edit: It's not bad.  Untse Untse Untse Untse

Edit2: Sure Juror - Smut is going in my albums of the year.  If these guys can get some distribution going, they're going to be huge.  Well -- indie huge.  Download the album (legally) http://surejuror.blogspot.com/"> here.

jcknbl

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #114 on: 19 Sep 2006, 21:16 »

Quote from: Moo Cakes
1. The Best of Ray Charles
2. Wicked Soundtrack.
3. Dresden Dolls - Yes, Virginia. (Woah, who didn't buy that?)
4. Ben Fold's Five - Rockin' the Suburbs
5. Team America soundtrack
6. The Hush Sound - Like Vines
7. Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This To Memory

Those are the only ones I can really remember buying, actually.

You realize three of those albums didn't come out in 2006 right?

Didn't Rockin' the Suburbs come out in 2001?

Count_Zero

2006 Albums Discussion
« Reply #115 on: 21 Sep 2006, 08:00 »

Oh bloody hell. This is going to change, as the Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly album is supposed to be stellar, and I haven't heard it yet, nor have I heard Modern Times or the new Rapture LP, but so far, in no particular order:

Tilly and the Wall - Wild Like Children (Can't believe more people haven't said this. Conor Oberst flavoured electro-pop from Nebraska.)

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped (Not listened to it enough)

The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine (Angry punk! Grrrr!)

The Submarines - Declare a New State! (Everyone should own this. It's like the perfect brittle pop of Stars, but with lots of awesome clicks and beeps, plus has a really heartwarming backstory)

James Figurine - Mistake Mistake Mistake Mistake (Kinda hit and miss, but the hits - '55566688833' and 'You Again' are truly awesome)

The Young Knives - Voices of Animals and Men (Awkward spiky, jerky middle-england tweedcore. Perfect disaffected summer music)

The Automatic - Not Accepted Anywhere (Massively hyped, but still full of single-worthy shoutalongs)

White Rose Movement - Kick (Not as good as the live show, but still very impressive scene-electro)

Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Fur Coat (I don't think it's -quite- as good as her Rilo Kiley stuff, but is easily arguable either way)

Plan B - Who Needs Actions When You Got Words (Genuinely uncompromising, disturbing look at the dark side of London fron Ben Drew)

Honourable mentions to Placebo, Metric, The Chalets, The Futureheads, Morrissey, Dirty Pretty Things, The Infadels, Be Your Own Pet, Billy Talent, Thom Yorke, Datarock, Snowden, Peter Bjorn and John, The Dresden Dolls, The Raconteurs....I could go on.

*CZ
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up