THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 21:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Single best video game you have ever played...  (Read 40246 times)

DarthCat

Re: Single best video game you have ever played...
« Reply #100 on: 14 Oct 2006, 16:12 »

To the guy who asked for the love to be shown to Secret of Mana, that would be my job. ONLY game I could give serious consideration to as my personal favorite. My god. It hasn't stood the test of time perfectly (few old games have), but with slick, subtle characte (hee hee, rabites!)r/plot design, perfectly executed battle controls (radial menus, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...), and the ability to power up your weapons and magic by searching high and low for the right mana orbs (or using your magic enough), SOM was the best part of my childhood. Despite the lack of replay value, I played that game at least a dozen times, getting all of my characters to level 99 every time (at least 750-1000 hours, all told). That's not to say I've not thought a lot of other games were really fantastic (btw, 6 is my favorite FF, in case anyone wanted to know), but Mana (and it's sequels/spiritual successors) enthralled me in a way no other games really have.
Other really fantastic games, in no particular order:
-System Shock 2 (I considered it for best ever, but couldn't quite give it the win)
-Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (awesome D&D-type RPG- I thought it was a lot better than games like Baldur's Gate; probably on par with Fallout, another seriously awesome game worthy of mention)
-Earthbound (what really needs to be said? When you've killed a New Age Hippy with a baseball bat, you know you've found something special...)
-Osu! Tatake! Ouendan! (probably my favorite import game ever; close on its' heels would be Vib-Ribbon, a PS music-y game, and Ikaruga, which WAS subsequently ported to GC for Americans, so it only half-counts.)
-Guitar Hero (my favorite rythm game, which will become invincible against the forces of criticism once additional tracks can be downloaded)
-Elder Scrolls II(Daggerfall)/IV(Oblivion)- IMO, these represent what every D&D player imagines when creating playing a pen and paper campaign. On that note, I'm looking forwards to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and should bring up Neverwinter Nights, which accomplishes the same atmosphere.
-Tetris Attack- my favorite puzzle game, right up there with the original Tetris
-Mario Kart 64, my favorite racing game (though Burnout Revenge comes pretty close...)

Y'know, at this point I realize there's really no point in elaborating further... a lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, and in any case there are so many fantastic games that I'd be up all night. I really enjoy most all well made, fun games- don't we all?

Long story short, though-
SECRET OF MANA FTW!

Grawsith

« Reply #101 on: 14 Oct 2006, 16:29 »

WOOT! System Shock 2 is the best FPS ever. To hell with this Bioshock crap.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #102 on: 14 Oct 2006, 22:06 »

I'm pretty sure BioShock is gonna be amazing, dude. You might not want to pass judgement before the game even comes out.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Grawsith

« Reply #103 on: 14 Oct 2006, 22:12 »

Yeah well, ok. I did see the IGN video, and it does look like a quality game.

But what I want is SS2, remade, in super-fucking-high-resolution.

But they can't do that because the rights to SS2 have been chopped up and fed to hell.

Seriously. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock_2#Future_of_the_Series

Splunkle

« Reply #104 on: 15 Oct 2006, 00:14 »

I like slower and more tactical games than most so I tend to shy away from mainstream games a bit.

Everyone will probably scoff but the game I spent the most time on ever would probably be Master of Orion 3. Admittedly the release version is buggy as hell but it has a base of fairly hardcore fans who have released a bunch of unofficial patches and mods which make it simply brilliant. Its really the scale that gets to me. No other game lets me fight battles with upwards of ten thousand ships on each side.
Also its fiendishly complex and takes forever to play which I also love.

I loved Master of Orion 2.  How is number 3 good?  I askk because I was thinking of getting it, but online reviews made me change my mind.  BUt if its good in the right ways, I might just reconsider.  Though I also need to get Galactic Civilizations 2.

Archangel_Lucifer

« Reply #105 on: 15 Oct 2006, 00:42 »

The reason MOO3 got such bad reveiws was in part because beople were expecting Master of orion 2.5 and instead got a completely different game. It NEEDS the fan based patches and mods, I cannot stress that enough. It might be a good idea to pop over to the forums and ask around a bit as well. http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=224

The learning curve is pretty shocking at times. One more thing dont get the download version. It cannot be patched for some reason.

Oh and I wouldnt bother with GalCiv 2. Its gets boring as heck after just a couple of games. Also the AI is way overhyped.

MatticusPrime

« Reply #106 on: 16 Oct 2006, 01:03 »

Favorite game is a tie between Deus Ex (the original, not Invisible War) and Star Control 2.

Other favorites are Earthbound, System Shock 2, Fallout, and Ultima VII (both parts).

I do seem to be alone in my Ultima love though =/

pro_

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #107 on: 17 Oct 2006, 08:45 »

Startraft(and BW)

Halo 1

Escape Velocity series

Eva:Gina

« Reply #108 on: 17 Oct 2006, 19:39 »

I liked Thief heaps, untill it got to zombies... I cant stand zombies...

But my fave game of all time would have to be AOM...

I got sucked into the Wow thing for a while... not too long tho

The Hammered

« Reply #109 on: 19 Oct 2006, 08:03 »

I should be getting the original System Shock in the mail some time soon, and the second hopefully not long after. I'm not a big shooter person, but I really want to check them out.

Neverwinter Nights sucked me in for quite a while. I got kind of burned out, but I left a few things unresolved on some servers I visited, so I plan on returning eventually.

Also, I can't really say it's my favorite game ever, but ICO was an amazing experience and really nothing like any other game I've played. It's a shame about Shadow of the Colossus, because I found it pretty disappointing. It was fascinating a lot of the time, there were some real sparks of genius, and had some of ICO's feel (and the last Colossus was brilliant), but that wasn't what was going on most of the time. On the whole it got pretty tedious for me. Still, I'll be eagerly awaiting their next game.

Phishie

« Reply #110 on: 20 Oct 2006, 11:01 »

I can't narrow it down to one, but my all-time favorites that I still can't stop picking up the controllers for are RE4, Jet Grind Radio and Smash Bros Melee(Woo, Samus! Still have a Metroid Prime stand on my wall from when I worked at E/B).

Sadly, I hated Jet Set Radio Future's slightly-skewed controls, big dissapointment. Powerstone 1&2/Worms Armageddon might also be close contenders, because I'm a rope-ninja.

Can't forget World Of Warcraft either since Blizz still has my soul locked in a cold basment somewhere at their HQ.

Narr

« Reply #111 on: 21 Oct 2006, 10:13 »

I recently reinstalled Planescape: Torment.

I forgot how FANTASTIC the game was.

glisp42

« Reply #112 on: 26 Oct 2006, 22:06 »

Civilization 2 and 3 for the sheer epic feeling of the games.  Nothing is better than crushing your enemy in your iron fist.  MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mario Kart 64

Ocarina of time.  I never got to beat this one because it got stolen when I was about 3/4s of the way through.

The Monkey Island games but I prefer 3 to any of the others, particularly the mini game in the middle when you have to go battle pirate ships and relearn insult swordfighting.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #113 on: 27 Oct 2006, 00:46 »

Suikoden 1 and 2

best games ever

other ones include

Ace Combat 5
Metal Gear Solid (the whole series)

ackblom12

« Reply #114 on: 27 Oct 2006, 05:33 »

Suikoden 1 and 2

best games ever

other ones include

Ace Combat 5
Metal Gear Solid (the whole series)

I miss those games so much, and I'm not willing to spend $100+ on each  :-(

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #115 on: 27 Oct 2006, 05:54 »

oh i know!

i used to own a copy of Suikoden2 and went to buy a new one and it was going for $132 i was almost sick!  the game is so great i wish i could find mine....

Splunkle

« Reply #116 on: 28 Oct 2006, 07:04 »

Civilization 2 and 3 for the sheer epic feeling of the games.? Nothing is better than crushing your enemy in your iron fist.? MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

You should play Alpha Centauri. Its like civilisation, but better. In some ways at least. It came after civ 2 but before civ 3, so it doesn't have culture, but it is awesome in many other ways, such as the uniqueness of each of the sides, the way you can design your own units and the 3D terrain. And the Terraforming. Any game where you can decimate the enemies empire by cutting off their food by building a huge-ass mountain next to them is preety damn pimp, IMHO.

Yeah, so play Alpha Centuari. These days it should be really cheap (I think it was released in 1999), so go pick it up. Amazing game.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #117 on: 30 Oct 2006, 20:03 »

Alpha Centuari is <3

*digs out copy*

darkdreamr

« Reply #118 on: 31 Oct 2006, 21:53 »

Myth: TFL - awesome single player and multiplayer.
Chrono Trigger is a very close second but playing with other people is always half the fun for me.

*goes back to lurking*

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #119 on: 03 Nov 2006, 02:23 »

I'm replaying Alpha Centauri right now. It's better than I remember it, since I was pretty young when it was first released, it didn't interest me.
Now I find it great. I own almost all of Planet, so I decided to declare war on the Alien factions, and have been giving the cities I capture to my human friends who I felt needed help.

donchulo

« Reply #120 on: 03 Nov 2006, 02:57 »

Half-Life 2, without a doubt my favourite gaming experience.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #121 on: 03 Nov 2006, 03:10 »

as far as rhythm games go, I'd like to have a tie between Guitar Hero and DDR in general, but DDR has released so many sequels without losing any of its majesty, so I'll have to give it the edge.  Still, Guitar Hero is pretty solid.

See also:
 -Ratchet and Clank, any of them
 -MGS2 (haven't played any of the others... sorry! --*)
 -Halo, both
 -Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time and Link's Awakening (GBC)
 -The Sims, any
 -Kingdom Hearts, both
 -Madden: picking a year is pointless, they supposedly get better every year
 -NBA Street 2
 -Simpsons Road Rage/Hit and Run
 -Hot Shots Golf 3
 -KotOR: either really, but #1 was definitely better
 -Burnout: 3 or Revenge
 -Spider-Man 2
 -Star Wars: Republic Commando/Rogue Squadron/SNES game
 -Smash Bros., either
 -Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

as far as TEH BEST EVAR goes, I'm gonna have to give Halo the slight edge.  Tons of replay value, and htte multiplayer (the real reason people get the game anyway) is incredible.  However, if either KH or KotOR (or both) had multiplayer, they'd definitely edge out Halo.  A co-op mode would be really nice, but especially if they had a Deathmatch-type dealie, or like a bonus shorter story or something for 2-4 player compatibility.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #122 on: 03 Nov 2006, 03:56 »

Homeworld.

Easy one. Homeworld 2 comes close, as do several Lucas Arts adventures. But Homeworld is unsurpassed in terms of awesomeness, if only because of that feeling of vastness and the huge armies you could create.
Hell, I even worked on a mod for this game (Sacrifice of Angels, the Star Trek mod for Homeworld, if anybody knows it).

Grawsith

« Reply #123 on: 03 Nov 2006, 04:42 »

Unreal Tournament 2004. You can hate it for having no story, plot, or characters. But it remains the purest form of multiplayer out there.

Other games want you to buy your weapons, or wade through menus, but in UT2004, you take 5 paces and there's a gunrack full of kickass weaponry RIGHT THERE. (That's also why i hate counter-strike.)

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #124 on: 04 Nov 2006, 21:52 »

FFVI
FFT

Double_aa91

« Reply #125 on: 06 Nov 2006, 06:06 »

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Best. Game. Ever.

Other runner ups are:
Burnout 3
Halo (both)
Metal Gear Solid 1+2 (Havn't played 3) damn them for not making it for xbox (hopefully yet)
Starcraft
Diablo 2 LOD
Splinter Cell series (all kick much ass)

Vanilla Gorilla

« Reply #126 on: 10 Nov 2006, 20:46 »

ill just go by the games that consumed my life because i loved them so much:

the thief series- all of them are just fucking ridiculously well made

band of brothers road to hill 30 - im a wwII buff, and the whole atmosphere of this game gave me goosebumps, so emotional when you lose your comrades

half life 2- wow. thats all i can say.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #127 on: 11 Nov 2006, 01:55 »

oh man, speaking of WWII, I totally forgot to mention the whole Medal of Honor series before.  They're all good, but Underground and Rising Sun were lacking... however, European Assault is by far the best yet.  BY FAR.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

nihilist

« Reply #128 on: 11 Nov 2006, 02:53 »

When it comes to WWII stuff, Company of Heroes and Hidden & Dangerous 2 rocked the genre beyond belief.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #129 on: 11 Nov 2006, 03:19 »

Bit of a topic shift, I know, but I've been tempted to download it for a while now... is Unreal Tournament really that good?  Is there a specific version I should get to begin with, or does it not matter at all? And, any tips for one new to the UT universe?

Grawsith

« Reply #130 on: 11 Nov 2006, 03:31 »

Download a demo of UT2004 (google it). Spend a little time playing with the CPU, before jumping on the net. There are some great guides on the net as well.

nihilist

« Reply #131 on: 11 Nov 2006, 03:31 »

Sucks turds out of a goat's ass.

Splunkle

« Reply #132 on: 11 Nov 2006, 06:45 »

Unreal Tournament 2004. You can hate it for having no story, plot, or characters. But it remains the purest form of multiplayer out there.

Other games want you to buy your weapons, or wade through menus, but in UT2004, you take 5 paces and there's a gunrack full of kickass weaponry RIGHT THERE. (That's also why i hate counter-strike.)

While I agree with the sentiment here, I must respectfully disagree: Quake 3 instagib is quite possibly the most pure, intense, and powerful gaming experience I have ever had.  UT, particullarly UT instagib doesn't feel right to me, though that probably just personal opinion.  Still: Quake 3. Awesome.

Grawsith

« Reply #133 on: 11 Nov 2006, 07:40 »

Oh my god, i totally forgot Q3. Let me rephrase: UT is the SECOND purest.

No matter how hard you try, Q3 is an unreachable benchmark.

Scytale

« Reply #134 on: 11 Nov 2006, 08:02 »

Best game I've played would definately be Alpha Centauri, damn that game sucked me in for a long time, such an awesome game.

Ultima Online sucked up about 3 years of my life so I have to give that game a mention. Only MMORPG I've played.

Warshrike

« Reply #135 on: 11 Nov 2006, 11:12 »

Starcraft/Broodwar
Dungeon Keeper I+II
007 Goldeneye
AvP
Dominions:Preists, Profits and Pretenders
Myth:The Fallen Lords
Smash T.V.
Leiro Xtreme
Worms
ARC
Lemmings
UT
Sonic(And anything on Sega Megadrive II, relly)
Zero Wing(All your base. Yeah I have that.)
Dynasty Warriors
FF7

I'm just going to stop now. I like too many games...

Charming Liar

« Reply #136 on: 13 Nov 2006, 16:05 »

Psychonauts. Tell me, does your game allow the player to whack common birds (which are just hangin' around) into the stratosphere with a big ol' psychic hand? After which the character, "Raz" will say something along the lines of "Oops. See ya in hell!"
I was utterly sold by the time I was traversing the sub-conscious of a gigantic mutant monster lungfish (a beast rivaled only by a one horned one eyed flying purple people eater.) Curiously, the inhabitants of that mind were all tiny fish people enacting Japanese translated Godzilla satire. Raz manifested himself as a lumbering giant capable of smashing/climbing buildings as miniature tanks and whatnot try to bring him down. The fish people dubbed him "Goggalor," because he wore goggles. WHERE CAN YOU GET THAT in another game!? That was just one level! The boss battle was even done Ultra Man style.
Of course, the linear hilarity is nothing compared to the "out of the way" stuff you can find if you look for it. Saying "Delicious Taffy" will, to this day, cause me to swoon whilst clutching my side.

The booby prize goes to Steambot Chronicles, for allowing me to choose the dialogue options: "Crush his dreams" and to a lesser extent "Salt that puppy!"

TheLanyard

« Reply #137 on: 14 Nov 2006, 19:58 »

4 games I played way too much:

Age of Mythology
Goldeneye 64
Soldier of Fortune 2
Metal Gear Solid 2

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #138 on: 15 Nov 2006, 16:01 »

ok, so.

I just spent half an hour writing up a list of games then deleted it because I was only up to the Amiga & I really need to get to bed.

so just put me into the "i can't choose just one!" category.

or maybe Quake.  Jesus christ I lost a lot of time playing that game.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #139 on: 15 Nov 2006, 20:05 »

Mmmm...once you realize that I cannot play games to save my life (I don't think I've seriously ever finished -one-...) I would have to say that my -favorites- are:
 Kingdom Hearts (I and II, which I am ALMOST done with, I am at the last door...)
 Qudditch World Cup (it's the only game that I'm good at, which is sad, yes...),
 Okami (which I have had for over a month, and am over half way through and do not think I shall ever reach the end...I got to what I had hoped was the end...and it wasn't...so i was sad)

nihilist

« Reply #140 on: 15 Nov 2006, 20:58 »

I put over 2500 hours into Soldier of Fortune 2.  Easily.  I was playing it for 16 hours a day for probably eight months straight.

Then I got a life.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #141 on: 16 Nov 2006, 02:52 »

Grawsith-

I tried downloading a UT2004 demo, and after having to download it a second time to get it to work, I found that I couldn't see shit on the games against a CPU opponent.  Then, I'd always be (AT THE VERY MOST) about a minute in and it would freeze, then quit the program by itself.  So, I'm just gonna wait and get the CD.  Hopefully things will be better with that.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #142 on: 16 Nov 2006, 11:28 »

Halo PC/CE. No question. Even though it got shoved in a closet, released 3 years late, and the developer dropped support, it's an amazing game. I've never met an online FPS I like nearly as much.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Grawsith

« Reply #143 on: 16 Nov 2006, 13:07 »

SilentJ1018:
- Make sure you're download source is reliable.
- Tweak your settings (this guy has a great guide: "UT2004 Tweak Guide"
- If (and when) you get it going, i'd be happy to whip up a server and show you some pointers (though i'm no expert)

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #144 on: 16 Nov 2006, 14:24 »

does every one here no about the single greatest game of all time, progress quest?
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #145 on: 16 Nov 2006, 23:50 »

diablo, i got a hold of that game when i was 8 and i was hooked.

diablo II rocks as well.

coulldn't have put it better myself. diablo was the fist computer game i played, and it remains the best (although age of empires 2 isn't too far behind).
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #146 on: 17 Nov 2006, 04:48 »

oh man if we are going with first computer games...

how many people here had a commodore 64?

i remember playing a game where you were a gnome on a quest through a mansion.  i had the original ninja turtles game for the commodore, the original mathblaster, and this one where you're a pidgeon and the entire game was to shit on cars and make them explode.

but if we're talking PC's the first game, and still one of my top 10 would definitely be The Secret Of Monkey Island.

Guybrush Threepwood could kick Jack Sparrow's ass any day.  he fights like a dairy farmer.

Splunkle

« Reply #147 on: 17 Nov 2006, 06:50 »

does every one here no about the single greatest game of all time, progress quest?

I used to play that! It was the only MMORPG I ever played, actually. I got up to level 60 something, if I recall correctly. I must admit, the game was somewhat easy.

Tyrranizer

« Reply #148 on: 17 Nov 2006, 20:51 »

Well, first game I ever played was Star Wars: Rebel Assualt. One of the proudest moments of my life was reaching the end credits of that game when I was like 4 years old.

It's way too hard to really pick an all time favourite game, but I'd have to say either KoToR (either of them, I really love those games) or Grim Fandango, which I've finished twice and can't wait to play through again. A close runner up is City of Heroes, it was the first MMO I played and it sucked up wayyy too much of my time.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #149 on: 18 Nov 2006, 10:41 »

Grawsith: thanks for the help, man, but my computer is so fucked up that even with a reliable source something would probably go wrong with the program, so I'm really just gonna wait for the CD. Besides, with the CD, I'll have the full version and all those little features I have no idea about that come with it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up