THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Single best video game you have ever played...  (Read 39787 times)

The Hammered

Single best video game you have ever played...
« Reply #50 on: 05 Sep 2006, 13:05 »

There are multiple games I could choose, but I have to say Thief: The Dark Project (or Thief Gold, since I never got the original). Why? Because it created an amazing, forbidding, and mysterious world; scared the hell out of me when I first played it (and still does, some times); and because it has a lot of kickass missions created by the community. Thief 2 might have more, and often better, fan missions, and I'm a sucker for the weather effects, but the original wins for being first, and for its darker and grittier world.

Other possible candidates: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for its great levels, and the original Legend of Zelda and Ocarina of Time for epic-ness (I never liked LTTP that much, for some reason).

TrueNeutral

« Reply #51 on: 06 Sep 2006, 03:23 »

LITTLE SAMSON

I still play this game on my NES almost every day. I've never gotten tired of it. I got this game when I was FIVE.

cTony

« Reply #52 on: 06 Sep 2006, 10:09 »

Those graphics look grat.. I havent played that game.. *Will try and get a hold of it*

FF2 was only recently released in English and I'll be honest... I haven't got around to playing it. I heard that the leveling system is annoying, however.

It doesnt have a levelling system as such.
It definately isnt annoying - Its different, but its powerfull, logical, and very very fun.
If you get attacked, your resiliance and experience against being attacked increases - Next time it wont hurt so much, you will be slightly more adept at avoiding it.
If you cast magic, your ability at casting magic has been imporved by the experience etc.
There are no absolute levels, but rather levels on each stat that make it far more versatile and give you really diverse characters.
Unfortunately, the randomness was a bit off, and i had this one guy who got attatcked all the time, and had like 7000 hp's when everone else had 2000. lol.

FF3 is amazing; A Must play. There is a Nes thing somewhere, with the translations corrected well enough to play and massively enjoy the game.

For me, maybe The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.
Loved it when i was 4, love it now.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #53 on: 06 Sep 2006, 11:03 »

Guys, guys. Stronghold.
You build a castle, you enemy builds a castle, you then lay siege to the enemy castle, and try to kill their Lord.

Pity about Stronghold 2, though.

Sargon

« Reply #54 on: 06 Sep 2006, 19:19 »

Quote from: Gill Kaiser
1) The Escape Velocity series, especially Nova.

4) The Total War series.

You are awesome. The Escape Velocity games are majorly excellent.

Also, if I had the money, I'd buy a Windows computer (or one of those new Macs that can run Windows) just to play Total War games.

Quote from: mberan42
I forgot about Star Control 2.

Seriously, I loved that game.

There's a free downloadable version of it floating around somewhere. Go to gamefaqs.com to find it.

I tried playing that at one point. A lot of fun, but I was SO BAD AT IT. I didn't really understand what to do.

Anyway, Mario's Picross for the Game Boy. Don't know if it's the best I ever played, but it's so fun! Also, the game Deimos Rising is great, if you don't mind carpal tunnel.

Pound_Coin

« Reply #55 on: 13 Sep 2006, 04:02 »

Battlefield 1942 and DC FINAL around summer of 2004.

It was a the high point of that game which it will never see again.

GuitarJunkie

« Reply #56 on: 14 Sep 2006, 16:36 »

Quote from: mookers
earthbound

I adore Earthbound! I got to go with that or Shenmue 1/2.

Mieville

« Reply #57 on: 16 Sep 2006, 07:07 »

I loved this old classic.
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit.  Fond memories of this game shall forever be remembered.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #58 on: 18 Sep 2006, 16:05 »

Okay, when I was growing up it was a two-way tie.  Since all we had was an old Commodore 64, both games come from it - back in the old days when floppy discs really were floppy.
Defender of the Crown: One of the orignal turn-based strategy games you could play, and despite having a somewhat corny plotline and being pretty predictable, it was strangely addictive.  I loved it.
The Last Ninja: Much more in-depth game, several levels each with their own challenges and weapons to collect, and little secrets that you sometimes had to find and sometimes just found as a bonus.  Never could win it, though... the final boss always beat me before I could figure out the weird orb thing.
Both games get an 8/10

In more recent times it'd have to be a three way tie...
Starcraft: RTS game, love it, will never stop loving it.  Instead of the two functionally identical teams that you get in most games (Warcraft, Dark Reign, Red Alert, Dune, etc), the three teams were completely different and added whole new balance to each level.  And the story was awesome.
Diablo II: This game just kicks ass.  I liked the Necromancer best, though the Amazon was pretty fun too.  The Druid just pissed me off.  But anyway!  Graphics are excellent, the level randomiser makes replayability almost infinite, the skill trees mean it requires a lot of planning to win, and the story is magnificent.
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Do I really need to say anything?
All three get a 10/10
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

LuckyMango

« Reply #59 on: 18 Sep 2006, 19:12 »

Quote from: SocialPoison
Quote from: mnimmny
planescape:torment

hands down best rpg video game ever. having the best and most immersive rpg story ever probably helped. its a shame it didn't do so well commercially.

Planescape was a DAMN good game. PC game, for the person that asked. I picked it up as one of those $9.99 games at Fred Meyers. Good buy.

My all time favorite:

River City Ransom

That's side-scrolling, beat-em-up, knock-an-enemy-down-and-then-use-the-body-as-a-weapon goodness at its best! VGCats is teh funny

Planescape is an amazing story based RPG.  It ranks very highly on my list, but I think I'd have to put Betrayal at Krondor above it, as far as story RPGs go.  The writing in it is just so good, and it's a lot of fun to play.

That said, though, I think my favorite game of all time would have to be Dagegrfall, the second Elder Scrolls game.  Even moreso than Morrowind, you have the freedom to do whatever you want.  You can make any character you want and play it how you want.  I should probably pick up Oblivion at some point, but I'll probably wait for the price to drop.

Jed

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #60 on: 19 Sep 2006, 05:20 »

Pong. It is just hilarious when you are totally wasted. My friend still has the original Pong console. Which is by the way f***ing awesome. His dad bought it when it was a new thingy. (He will not sell it.)
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

Deia

« Reply #61 on: 19 Sep 2006, 13:31 »

Honestly, the best game I've played is probably Golden Sun for GBA. No, the graphics aren't great, but for a GBA game, they're pretty darn good. I loved the Djinni, and the battle system, and the gameplay, and the storyline... and just everything about it. I got it for Christmas years ago, and I remember that I started playing it shortly after lunch that day, and didn't stop until I went to bed that night, with a break for dinner in between. I was hooked...

The Zelda games were awesome as well, all of them, though I liked Oracle of Season best of the Gameboy ones. I only recently got a PS2, and all I have for it is FFX, which I adore, and Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, which is entertaining but not great. I do love Diablo and Diablo II though... they are phenomanal.

Meimei

« Reply #62 on: 19 Sep 2006, 23:25 »

The more I play it, it the more I believe that Beatmania IIDX is the best game ever. Any of them, but mostly all of them.

Steyr_Junkie

« Reply #63 on: 20 Sep 2006, 08:06 »

Descent Freespace, played in a totally dark room on a big monitor with "spirit in the sky" looped over the stereo system.

Swisside

« Reply #64 on: 20 Sep 2006, 08:09 »

Incredible! No one mentioned the funniest game EVER!

Monkey Island

I just replayed it last week and still got me laughing like a maniac!

Then there are the obvious things like FFVII and IX (VI is also pretty good, but it lacks the nostalgia factor as I only played it afterwards on an emulator).

Mario Kart on the SNES and N64?

Behind you, a tree-headed monkey!

Xymon

« Reply #65 on: 23 Sep 2006, 05:42 »

Quote from: GuitarJunkie
Quote from: mookers
earthbound

I adore Earthbound!

Agreed for the win!

Ulmassir

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #66 on: 23 Sep 2006, 13:54 »

Heh, what a difficult question! I can't pick just one, so here's the ones that came to mind:

Xenogears
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Half-Life 2
Warcraft III
Command and Conquer Red Alert: Retaliation for the playstation (Not a great game on its own I guess, but had so much fun with multiplayer link games back in the day)

I dunno. I could likely think of many others if i thought about it too long.
Some of the above posts seem intriguing, being games I've not played. I think I'm really gonna have to find that 'Stronghold' game...

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #67 on: 25 Sep 2006, 18:56 »

Monkey island 1 and 2
LucasArt's at their finest, and funniest.

The Hammered

« Reply #68 on: 26 Sep 2006, 01:18 »

Quote from: GuitarJunkie
I adore Earthbound! I got to go with that or Shenmue 1/2.

I, too, adore Earthbound. I've got to check on the original (Japan-only) game some time.

fusezei

« Reply #69 on: 26 Sep 2006, 09:44 »

legacy of kain: blood omen

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
Re: Single best video game you have ever played...
« Reply #70 on: 27 Sep 2006, 13:40 »

oh my... how could I possibly forget this. http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/  <-- probably the height of the sidescrolling platformer genre, and it doesn't cost a dime.

tehjiggles

• Plantmonster
« Reply #71 on: 27 Sep 2006, 20:27 »

most played game- FFXI... 300+ DAYS of gametime. 75 bard, 75 black mage, 75 beastmaster... lots of jobs also very very high. I quit this and made $800 selling my character. I don't mean to brag, but I'm the man.

Super Mario World(SNES) is my favorite game ever.

Recent Vintage

« Reply #72 on: 30 Sep 2006, 18:09 »

AceCombat04 Shattered Skies was the only video game I shed a tear for.

Halo 1 had the second most playtime for me in a videogame for single player, second only to 007: Goldeneye.  As far as multiplayer I spent countless hours on live and at lans playing Halo 2, the better part of a year for that matter..

Super Smash Brothers (the original) is my all time favorite fighter.

FF8 is my favorite final fantasy, FFX is a close second.

Vice City was the best sandbox game ever.

Shit... the title is single best...

I've got to say Halo 2.  Hard choice, but nothing was quite that much fun.

Patatat

« Reply #73 on: 30 Sep 2006, 18:19 »

Foolish mortals.

The Elder Scrolls

Any of them.

The Cosmic Fool

« Reply #74 on: 01 Oct 2006, 14:18 »

I'd have to concur with some people that mentioned FF6 as the top game. It's always had qualities that the others didn't. You all get 5 points.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #75 on: 02 Oct 2006, 04:16 »

My favorite right now is "Okami."

Have a PS2? Go get this game. Geddit geddit geddit.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #76 on: 03 Oct 2006, 09:03 »

Curse you! I've been following that game's progress through development, but I have no PS2 to play it on!

Tenge

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #77 on: 03 Oct 2006, 15:00 »

Sam & Max Hit the Road was always a hilarious play for me. Some of my favourite one liners ever come from that game. Must see where it's gone...

arthur barnhouse

« Reply #78 on: 03 Oct 2006, 15:24 »

Marathon 2: Durandal

Best FPS that has or ever will be made.  The community for it is thinning more and more each year though.  *Sigh*

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #79 on: 03 Oct 2006, 17:16 »

Star Wars KotOR II: The Sith Lords.

If only they had finished the damn thing before releasing it, it would destroy every other game made in existence.

AlexAttack

« Reply #80 on: 06 Oct 2006, 11:18 »

Morrow wind
Mario Kart 64
Legend of Zelda: Occarina of Time
special mention goes to the Punisher game on X Box

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
« Reply #81 on: 06 Oct 2006, 11:46 »

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.  Damn.  I still love it.  Fairly simple, but the game play is sweet and the story is relatively nice for a video game.

Well, as far as voice acting and dialogue, I've gotta mention the entire Legacy of Kain series. Notably Raziel's first little exchange with Kane.  *Ponders playing through again*
Scaring the shit outta Hannelore since...  God knows when. (T-shirt reference FTW)

Neuvost

« Reply #82 on: 06 Oct 2006, 17:17 »

My favorite game of all time is Final Fantasy IX. It was my first Final Fantasy and with beautiful graphics, a rich story and characters, an interesting combat mechanic, and a huge world of wonder and power, I can't not love it. Final Fantasy IX defines immersive.

Multiplayer gaming is a very different experience though. One that must focus much more on gameplay mechanics rather than creating a world in order to be immersive, and for that I have two favorites that I can't decide between. Super Smash Brothers: Melee and Halo 2. I've played Smash for way too many hours to count with my buddies until the latest hours of the night. I'll be going to MLG as a coach in a week. I'm super excited. Halo 2 is the best FPS I've ever played. Great control and mechanics and with MLG settings, it's balanced (wow, I must seem like the biggest MLG fanboy here. I'm not really). I'll be playing this one for a good long time.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #83 on: 06 Oct 2006, 17:21 »

Halo 2 is the best FPS I've ever played.

I'm speechless.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Neuvost

« Reply #84 on: 06 Oct 2006, 17:24 »

Halo 2 is the best FPS I've ever played.

I'm speechless.

It's a controversial choice, I know. And yes, admittedly, I've never played Half-Life 1 or 2. But I'm a console gamer anyway. PC gaming is just uncomfortable for me.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #85 on: 06 Oct 2006, 17:44 »

No PC means you've missed out on System Shock 2, the entire Marathon series(which is, of course, made by Bungie), Quake 1, and the entire Half-Life series, all of which easily rise above Halo.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Neuvost

« Reply #86 on: 06 Oct 2006, 17:51 »

I've been playing Marathon lately actually! I like it, but using a mouse and keyboard is still much less comfortable for me than a good solid controller. I'm not too far into it, but I dig the story and the gameplay is alright. I feel like I'm playing a first draft for Halo, which is fun for me as a Halo fanboy. And I've enjoyed Quake 1, though I need to install that on my MacBook. In the end though, PC FPSs just feel less ... good, to me. I know a lot of people and the vast majority of the hardcore prefer them though, so to each his (or her, I guess) own.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #87 on: 06 Oct 2006, 19:20 »

Give it time. The keyboard/mouse combo is the most accurate and efficient method of playing an FPS. I can use either, but controllers always feel waaaaay too slow to me.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #88 on: 06 Oct 2006, 22:39 »

I'm going to admit something: I don't really like shooters. BioShock and Lost Planet may change my mind, but the learning curve is just too frustrating for me to get into them. Whenver I tried to play a game with my friends, I would always die thirty seconds after spawning and would eventually just get frustrated and stop.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
« Reply #89 on: 07 Oct 2006, 01:03 »

MORTAL KOMBAT!

Lots of games are awesome, but when I play most of them, I can not turn to my friends and say, "I WILL PUT YOU IN A HEADLOCK, WITH MY THIGHS," and mean it.

Also, Gex. Because I was a gecko. (but not the 3d ones. Seriously who was it that came up with it being okay to go directions other than right and left and sometimes up or down? It is stupid. If I wanted to go differnt directions, I would go outside.)

TheGrinder

« Reply #90 on: 09 Oct 2006, 05:47 »

Oh shit, Super Mario 3 is perhaps my favourite, now that you mention it,

QFT

esp10nage

« Reply #91 on: 09 Oct 2006, 20:50 »

http://mofuya.com/flash/swan_en.htm

Just for fun.
Not the best, but enjoi if you haven't already seen this.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #92 on: 10 Oct 2006, 10:24 »

oh my... how could I possibly forget this. http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/  <-- probably the height of the sidescrolling platformer genre, and it doesn't cost a dime.

Wow, I just found this a couple days ago, and I was coming in here to mention it. I don't know that it's the BEST GAME OF ALL TIME, but it is pretty frickin' incredibly fun.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Questionable Alex

« Reply #93 on: 10 Oct 2006, 13:43 »

Seems I'll be the first one to mention this game, but...

Neverwinter Nights. A game hasn't taken so many hours of my life and never given it up. No game has been so close in ruining my personal life ("so close" means that it did... kinda)

The single player was great enough, catchy story, twists, turns, but nothing groundbreaking I'll admit. But when I got online a whole new world opened to me. The possibilities. The servers. Alright, it's probably nothing unique compared to other MMORPGs and roleplaying games in general, but I loved it. Truly loved it. And with NWN2 soon knocking on my door, or a man carrying it, I can't help but getting all nostalgic.

Aye, that's certainly a favorite game. Final Fantasy X is really worth mentioning too though, just to make it clear to everyone that I wasn't gaming much at FFs prime time at the sixth and seventh game, but hey! FFX sure blew me quite far away. Auron rocks. You know it.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #94 on: 10 Oct 2006, 14:17 »

Guys monkey island 2 was the best monkey island. Although 1 was close behind.

Also hitman: codename 47. The original hitman game and in my opinion the best, none of this silent assasin bollocks just sneak kill repeat.

Also alex, could you remove the image from your signature please? You'll notice no-one else around here has one because it's in the rules. It's in the rules because no-one wants to see the same picture in every post you make and it clutters up the forum, having extra pictures also means a longer load time for threads and some wasted bandwidth. Thanks.

ackblom12

« Reply #95 on: 13 Oct 2006, 16:31 »

Oh god, I have a list and I find it very difficult to name any one.

Final Fantasy VI - Still has what i consider to be the best story ever concieved for a RPG, and my favorite cast of characters ever. Plus it had fucking Kefka. How can you not love the villian that truly started the trend of Villians who actually accomplished taking over the world. Also the last of the series i thought was truly great.

Final Fantasy IV - I didn't think the story was anywhere near as good as VI, but something about this game kept me coming back for more, and i went through this game at least 8 times before i finally lost the console during a move a few years ago.

Lufia 2 - Great story, i loved the elemental Pets you got, and no other video game ending has had the emotional affect on me that this game's ending had. It was an absolutely beautiful game. Even if it was ass rapingly hard.

Half-Life - I still think this is the greatest FPS ever made.

System Shock 2 - I think this is easily one of the best FPS games ever made. Scary as hell and a great innovative title.

Fallout 2 - How can i not love a game where I can plant an active bomb on the little rat bastard homeless child that stole my shit.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Probably the most visually appealing game I've ever played, and the first Zelda game that made sword combat truly FUN. Probably my favorite of the series, and definitely one of my favorite games ofa ll time.

Of those, FFVI would probably be the closest i could come to No. 1
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2006, 16:35 by ackblom12 »

OHsmeat

« Reply #96 on: 13 Oct 2006, 16:40 »

Seriously no Warcraft 3 love? The custom maps kick ass save for dealing with dickholes on battlenet. But other than that I have to uninstall it during school. Very Sad.

Seconding Metroid: Prime hearts but I haven't finished it so the jury is stil out.

Grawsith

« Reply #97 on: 13 Oct 2006, 16:48 »

Best singleplayer game: Half Life 2.
Best multiplayer game: Day Of Defeat Source.
Best old school game: Zelda - A Link To The Past.

Archangel_Lucifer

« Reply #98 on: 14 Oct 2006, 05:22 »

I like slower and more tactical games than most so I tend to shy away from mainstream games a bit.

Everyone will probably scoff but the game I spent the most time on ever would probably be Master of Orion 3. Admittedly the release version is buggy as hell but it has a base of fairly hardcore fans who have released a bunch of unofficial patches and mods which make it simply brilliant. Its really the scale that gets to me. No other game lets me fight battles with upwards of ten thousand ships on each side.
Also its fiendishly complex and takes forever to play which I also love.

Second place would be the original Halo. Simple brilliance. I play most FPS's once through to get the story and then drop them except for a bit of MP. In Halo I easily spent hundreds of hours replaying everything and the co-op mode just makes it heaps of fun and the possibilities for mischeif are endless. I got freakishly good at this game.

NEXUS:The jupiter incident is also very good and quite underated. It takes more thinking and is much more tactical than most games of its type so appealed to the mass market less.

Of course the original homeworld is still pretty much untouchable.
Both the KOTOR's and NWN were amazing.

Ooh freelancer (theres some amazing mods as well) and good ol privateer.

Sadly my comp sucks too much ass to play any of the new FPS's and im too poor to buy a new one.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #99 on: 14 Oct 2006, 14:50 »

Battlefield 1942

QFT. Need For Speed: Most Wanted is pretty rad too, and I still dig me just about any real-time strategy game I can get my grubby little mitts on.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up