THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Last movie you saw, that you actually thought was any good..  (Read 65951 times)

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)

Little Miss Sunshine, best movie I've seen all year. I went to see Happy Feet w/ some friends...it was cute and all, but we got in trouble for a bit of langauge aimed at a character (said it a little toloud). The amount of inuendos in it was a bit odd for a kids movie. And it pretty much made very little sense. Back on topic: Little Miss Sunshine=Very very good, Happy feet= Bad
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

mqarcus

Lost In Translation, a few days ago. I've seen it once before, but didn't remember much. It is a great movie, going on my favourites list.

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me

Mm, have been staying home moping this Christmas week. That equates into a blockbuster run and depression-related snackings.

Dogma (which I had never seen in entirety until yesterday), is a must see. It's explanation of faith vs. belief vs. ideas reinforced my own views on the matter and Kevin Smith is hilarious as the "Silent Prophet". If ONLY God was a fan of skeeball, did headstands, and resembled Alanis Morisette...

"Talk to Her", a foreign film from Spain, is another current indie favorite. Beautiful, but disturbing (excellent combination). And there's a rather pervy twist on silent films, if you're into... that sort of thing... *cough*.

kokeyjoe

I just got done watching one of my Christmas presents -- Superman Returns.  It was better than I expected and about as good as I could've hoped.  Between watching that tonight and Rocky Balboa last week, I'm feeling very nostalgic right now.  I'm a happy guy.

Only thing I would've changed about Superman Returns was the casting of Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane.  I've never seen any of her previous work, so I'm not coming into it with a bias, and I think she did a pretty darn good job overall.  But she still just looked too young for the part.  Brandon Routh as Superman / Clark Kent looked almost too young, but he pulled it off.  There were some times I looked at Lois and she seemed like a girl playing dress-up.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier.  I'm now willing to have sacrificed a great X-Men 3 with Singer at the helm for this version of Superman Returns; it has really convinced me that Bryan Singer could be the next big Hollywood blockbuster director to carry the torch from guys like Spielberg and James Cameron.

Asorae

HARD CANDY. It really rocked

Same here. It was totally awesome. A little odd, but definitely good. Kind of an abrupt ending though?

SaskiWhiteflower

• Plantmonster

Yeah... the Psycho-teen chick  :evil:
Ok...now we're ready to kill you

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time

little miss sunshine. thank you for smoking. an inconvenient truth.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

The Cosmic Fool

Lord of the Rings.

midgetqc_lover

The Wickerman (1973) version. Odd.... But good if you know your Celtic mythology or history. Mmmmmm History.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Uh-oh. Here comes Khar.

I saw two standout films this week! Here they are:

Babel: having not seen 21 Grams, I wasn't sure whether to expect brilliance or just another Boxing Day time-waster, but I'm glad I made the effort. The film, drama through and through, follows three semi-connected stories set in Morocco, Mexico, and Tokyo, and the problems caused through combinations of bad luck and profound inability to communicate. Beautiful cinematography, great script, and stand-out acting from all involved (the unknown actors as much as Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett). Highly recommended.

Shortbus: firstly, let's get it out in the open - the sex is real. But unlike other recent arthouse flicks, where real sex seems to imply a simulated storyline (*cough* Ken Park *cough*), Shortbus uses the sex as a means to an end, rather than an end in and of itself. The film describes the emotional and sexual dramas of a group of New Yorkers, rotating around the eponymous polyamorous club - intriguing characters such as an anorgasmic sex therapist, a relationship-challenged dominatrix and a creepy voyeur held my interest right up to the end. In some ways it's unsatisfying, but it's an interesting exercise in how to use sex as a cinematic tool. I recommend it, although if you're not open-minded some of the sex could be challenging to watch - we're talking gay orgies here.

Anarchy965

I saw a movie I liked alot just two days ago called "The Chumscrubber." It's (VERY loosely) based on a comic book series by the same name. Before that I saw "A Scanner Darkly" which was also great. No spoilers here but everyone should rent those and check them out. Also everyone should check out the movie "Brick" that Electric Monk mentioned. 

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE

- The Fountain was worth any amount of ridiculously overpriced popcorn and fountain soda.
- The Prestige had excellent execution and storytelling was done subtly over the course of this dark film.
- Tenacious D was hilarious and a great chain of whacky hijinx and tomfoolery.
- The Protecter (Tom Yum Goong) showcases Tony Jaa's power and style much better than Ong Bak
- Fearless was an amazing end to an always impressive career of martial arts movies for Jet Li, but a perfect ending note.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Lost In Translation, a few days ago. I've seen it once before, but didn't remember much. It is a great movie, going on my favourites list.

lost in translation is my favorite movie. frankly i think it's brilliant. as for me, i rewatched elephant lately, which some might consider pretentious but i loved it. also: delicatessen, another of my all time favorites from a while ago.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Hewittv18

Gen-X Cops.

I laughed, I cried, and I cheered. And it's an action movie. It beats every serious piece of film I've ever watched.

rae

• Emoticontraindication

Jaws.

It is a classic.
Mook.

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!

My Super Ex-Girlfriend

First off: <3 Anna Farris

We put it in, expecting a stupid movie, and what we got was a decent comedy about a crazy ex girlfriend with violent tendencies and superhuman powers o.o and I didn't know before, but Anna Farris is in it, and that's always a plus. It's a fun movie. The shark scene was awesome.
If 0 is Date Movie and 5 is 40 Year Old Virgin, its about 2.5
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Hewittv18

Man, if 40 year old virgin is part of a scale, I should see it.

whornet

Favourite Movies: V For Vendetta, Clerks I and Clerks II, Garden State.

That is all

SaskiWhiteflower

• Plantmonster

OH OH OH I liked "Cruel Intentions" the 1st part only. I watched it like... 300 times  :-P

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears

Pan's Labyrinth.

If you do not go see this, I will find you and slap you with a shoe. Best film I have seen this year, without a doubt.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

kallisti

• Larger than most fish

I just saw Pan's Labyrinth as well, while i was in London.  I hadn't really heard anything about it because I'm painfully out of touch all the time, but my friend (the afore-mentioned-elsewhere supposed-to-go-to-newcastle kid) told me a bit about it before seeing it.

So I expected all the fantastic elements but I had no idea of the historical context it would be in.

I was a bit taken aback by that part of it at times, but it really gave a lot more depth to the film...though I'd probably have enjoyed it just as much if it had been purely fantastic and silly.  My favorite movie is The Labyrinth, after all.

Anyway... it was marvelous. Well worth the 6+ pounds (that's $5328 for those of you who don't know the exchange rate) I paid for the  3:30pm showing.  Nighttime = 8ish pounds I think. This is very expensive.  Damn you, London, for being awesome in all ways but one. :(
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.

Fiddler

My Super Ex-Girlfriend

Haha, I loved that movie myself basically because if the girls I've dated had super powers that movie would tell the story of my life.

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.

Did someone just say they paid over 5 thousand dollars to see a movie in theater?
Boredom Makes You Cool.

thepugs

Yes.

6 Euros is roughly equal to more than $5328 US.

GOOGLE.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

Little Miss Sunshine, i was really surprised that I liked it

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.

Yes.
6 Euros is roughly equal to more than $5328 US.

>.> Hope the popcorn was good.

Hey
I google'd!

6.00 EUR Euro = 7.78263 USD United States Dollars

I think I've been had!
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2007, 10:07 by TheBoredOne »
Boredom Makes You Cool.

SaskiWhiteflower

• Plantmonster

I watched WTC yesterday. It was a really good movie. All so true... :|

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears

It was six pounds, not six euros - he was in London. A google search will reveal that six pounds is equal to $5328.47 at today's exchange rate. GUYS USE THE INTERNET PROPERLY PLZ.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.

Brittish Pound - 6.00  -  USD - 11.63826

o.o show me where you're getting your information
I used exchangerate.com
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby

I saw Apocalypto and The Prestige recently. They were both really good.
Hate, rain on me

SonofZ3

"Dark Blue World" was quite good.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS

In the last few days, I saw a bunch of movies on television that I had not seen in a while and loved:

Crybaby, The Seven Samurai, Animal House, The Professional, and Casablanca.
Very very different films, but all are so amazing.

Last good movie I saw in theaters was Babel. Still need to see Pan's Labyrinth.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!

Children of Men

excellent.

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.

I saw the Illusionist today o.o
It was completely different than I expected, and so much better. Definitely worth seeing.

Next up is the Prestige.. the movie I originally wanted to see more out of the two.. but now the concept sounds boring in comparison o.o
Boredom Makes You Cool.

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants

i saw chronicles of narnia again last week. twice....

i liked that movie. if only because they fleshed out what i remember as a less than one page battle into something epic involving unicorns and all sorts.

kallisti

• Larger than most fish

I'm a she.  Also, apparently either I win at sarcasm or someone is really really gullible.

I am in heaven because Sky is showing all the Jurassic Park movies.  zomg dinosaurzzz. <333
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (I know I'm late)
I just love Park Chan-wook.
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why

dennis

• A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!

I have that movie in a Netflix envelope somewhere. I just don't know where.

ThePQ4

I saw Night at the Museum the other day...It was alright...but I am biased towards not liking it since I wanted to see Happy Feet... Penguins are far better then Robin Williams as Teddy R (Even though I love both Robin Williams and Teddy R to bits and bits...)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

i saw that last night too and enjoyed it more than i thought i would. a little lame, sure, but it did have some funny moments. and micky rooney's insults are probably among the most non sensical i've ever heard, but seeing a tiny, angry old man shouting them just makes them funny.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS

I finally saw Children of Men and adored it. As far as post-apocalyptic dystopias go, this one was quite good.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

i was talking about this with my friend, and dystopia movies, and especially post-apocalyptic dytopia movies, are awesome
lets see:
children of men
a boy and his dog (fuck yeah it's good)
delicattessen
mad max
12 monkeys
brazil
escape from new york
minority report (underrated i think.)
soylent green
blade runner
akira
metropolis
the matrix
the postman

plenty more i'm sure

Hollow Press (my blog)

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS

You are missing one of the best of the genre:

On the Beach

Moo Cakes

The other day I watched a Will Ferrel movie, "Miranda and Miranda". I tend to stray from his films, but I really liked this one. Also, I recently watched "Donnie Darko" for the first time ever. I loved it, it was a fresh look at the whole time travel theme for me. Not to mention it made me think, and I love it when movies do that, because for me it doesn't happen very often since my family tends to watch movies like, "Mr. And Mrs. Smith" and "Santa Clause with Muscles".

I've started watching old movies that are awesome, and I'm disappointed in myself that I missed out on so many good films the first time around.

ThePQ4

i saw that last night too and enjoyed it more than i thought i would. a little lame, sure, but it did have some funny moments. and micky rooney's insults are probably among the most non sensical i've ever heard, but seeing a tiny, angry old man shouting them just makes them funny.

Dude...Dick Van Dyke as a bad guy... That made it worth it ;) He's still pretty cute for someone who I thought was dead... Whoops. --And yea, Micky Rooney's insults...omg.

I still haven't gotten to see my tap-dancing penguins though...grr...

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom

i was in vermont for a week with nothing to do, so i just watched a ton of movies:

theater-wise: saw pan's labyrinth and children of men recently... both live up to all of their respective hype...s?

non-theater-wise: henry fool, hard core logo, slither, man bites dog, 13 tzameti, the NANA live action movie, riding the bus with my sister (absolutely hilarious,) marebito, the descent, aachi & ssipak, the lady from shanghai, jesus camp, why has bodhi-dharma left for the east,

also saw drawing restraint no. 9, but that is kind of beyond the "enjoy/did not enjoy" spectrum (unless, of course, you are lying to yourself.) of course, I did not get it completely. apparently it has something to do with self-imposed limits in the creative process. while making connections between the theme and the images on the screen is a task for someone who spends alot more time in art museums than i do, i can say that there were some very attractive shots, costumes, and music, and that i don't think the experience was entirely wasted on me.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

ruyi

• Beyoncé

ikiru (1952) - one of the best movies ever made! set in japan. a man discovers he has stomach cancer and totally transforms his life. if you think the plot sounds cheesy, you've seen too many crappy movies lately.

un homme et une femme (1966) - a very lovely romantic story, with a beautiful soundtrack to boot.

fish across face

• Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.

Yeah, Ikiru is incredible, good call ruyi.  It's a difficult title to translate, so I'm glad people don't bother.  Would've been kinda funny if they'd slapped on an exploitation movie title like Throne of Blood (another of director Akira Kurasawa's movies). :)

It is different, but I highly recommend Ozu's Tokyo Story.  It's a Japanese drama from around the same time and is similarly raved about.

The extra letter

Children of Men.

When I went to see it, I was a bit worried that it was going to be a generic action movie set in the near future, but instead it was one of the best post-apocalyptic films I've seen. I became an instant Children of Men fanboy.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)

Night At the Museum was pretty good I think. I don't remember most of it. I remember I was laughing a lot though....
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up