THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 00:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LISTEN OR DIE!! (Forced Listening, mkII)  (Read 65356 times)

salada

• Curry sauce
LISTEN OR DIE!! (Forced Listening, mkII)
« on: 16 Oct 2006, 16:23 »

So. I really like(d) The Forced Listening Thread.

However! It seems to die repeatedly and be constantly slipping off into the nether-regions of the forum. I thought starting a fresh one might kick some life back into it, because it really is a fun game and you get to listen to stuff you might not otherwise be exposed to, which is always a good thing. Also, it was getting a bit unweildy at 22 pages. Double also, I'm procrastinating like a motherfucker at the moment.

Anyway, the idea and rules stay the same as Khar's original:

Basically the idea is this: At the end of this post I will put a song. the next person after me will listen to this song via the magic of p2p technology, legal download, mp3 shopping, whatever floats your boat, and give it a rating out of 10. Having given this rating, they will suggest a track of their own. The next person who wants to take part in the game will listen to their suggestion, review, and suggest their own, and so forth. The purpose is to help people discover new bands by forcing your musical taste brutally on to others and then having indignant arguments when they give your favourite song ever 2/10.

Don't suggest a track without reviewing the last track suggested.

The last suggestion in the old thread's been dead a little while now, so I'm going to kick it off with something fresh.

Doormouse -- Shark Week On Discovery. From his wonderful "I Heart Polka" EP.

Off you go then!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: LISTEN OR DIE!! (Forced Listening, mkII)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2006, 16:37 »

Man, I was totally just going to do this. But if I may, I would like to add a new rule to fix the problem that caused the last thread to keep dying: If you review a song, you must host your next suggestion on www.yousendit.com for it to be considered. Reviews without a linked song will be skipped.

I'm busy with homework right now, but if nobody's already taken a turn when I'm finished I'll be the first reviewer.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Zanrar

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2006, 17:13 »

Looks like I'm first to review.

I'm a fan of noise music, so I liked it. I know, I know, it's not noise, but if I hear something that sounds random like that, I most likely will enjoy it. This song was more along the lines of "breakcore" (stupid genre names...ending in core @__@) like The Flashbulb.

7/10.

I pick Black Eyes- Deformative off of their self titled debut.

Also, if you want lyrics (as they can be hard to understand, if you've never heard them) go here .

La Creme

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2006, 18:46 »

Black Eyes - Deformative

I was introduced to Black Eyes, Black Dice, Black Lips, The Black Keys, and Black Ox Orkestar all within a week of eachother at CalArts this summer (a week in which I also finally sat down and listened to a lot of Sunn O))) all the way through inculding "Black One", and got the Guapo album "Black Oni"). That all aside, I never remember which is which. But now I remember which one Black Eyes is. They're the whiney indie ripoff dickwads who I really didn't care about at all compared to other Black _____ like , which probably don't have any on here already. That said, they're not bad. In fact they're a great band to play for someone who isn't gonna hear all the things these guys totally tear up and re-glue into this stereotype-collage of retarded. Standard dancey drums, standard indie bass line, obsolete guitar, two annoying vocalists (always better than one), all this expected.

Objective stance: 7/10
Subjective stance: 3/10

Alamaailman Vasarat - Vasaraasialainen

That stomping 3/4, that beautiful cello in the middle, that pump organ line, none will ever fail to awe me.

PS. Salada: All I have by Doormouse is "Tipsy", which really isn't all that good. If you could send me more somehow, I'd really appreciate it and I've got stuff to send back if you'd like.

Zanrar

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:10 »

Thanks for giving an objective score as well as your subjective one.

I won't review the song you picked so others can participate.

(But I will say that I like it so far... :D)
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2006, 19:12 by Zanrar »

La Creme

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:12 »

No no no, that ain't how it goes. If you're still around, take it. Nobody's gonna care. As long as you keep it alive nobody is gonna give you shit. Sometimes keeping it alive involves two or three people all trading in a triangle. Sometimes even just 2 back and forth.

Zanrar

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2006, 19:24 »

In that case...

Alamaailman Vasarat - Vasaraasialainen

I don't like the organ. I never have. There was just something about it. However in this song (I'll refer to it as 'this song' I'm not going to spell it out!) they make the organ sound amazing. Few bands have done that for me (for example, the only other organ I liked was in Cursive's 'The Ugly Organ') In short, they make the organ sound great in this song. I was happy to hear the cello throughout this song, as it is one of my favorite instruments.

All in all, this song sounds great, with a nice, exotic feel to it.

9/10!

Now, I pick Islands - Tsuxiit

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2006, 07:13 »

Islands - Tsuxiit

Starts out interesting with synthpop like keyboards efects and drumming, and gets into a sort of groove with a guitar. Tsuxiit has an interesting sound, but it does'nt change much, and when it does its to little too late. Tsuxiit sounds more like an interlude and not like a song. I'd try and write somthing longer but I dont really see why.
I give it a 5/10

Maudlin of The Well - Gleam In Ranks

The hardest thing about this is choosing the song to upload.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Splunkle

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2006, 08:33 »

Is it alright if its not a yousendit link, but is hosted online, for free, at a perfectly reputable website?? Because that is where mine will be.? Anyways, reviewing:

Maudlin of the Well - Gleam in Ranks.
Guitar, vocals.? Almost can't hear the vocals. I think thats the point, though.? Drumwork keeps it nice and varied.? Oh wait, YAYE!? Crunchy guitar, vocals go all audible, awesome.? Theres a bass there too, but I think its being farely standard.

You know, with the whole soft then hard thing, they kinda remind of Opeth, but the distinction isn't as extreme.? Also, the vocalist reminds me kinda of Dream Theater, but not quite as awesome.? Anyways, I'd buy an album by these people if I wasn't broke.

Score: 7/10

Beatdrop, Children of the Monkey Machine, K. Praslowicz - Brinstar(DreamsInRed)
Thats right, its a remix of the Red Brinstar theme from super metroid, but its awesome even if you haven't heard the theme before.? Clicky on the download tab to, well, download.

EDIT: Thats what I get for quoting my linkies.  My bad.  Works now though.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2006, 09:42 by Splunkle »

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2006, 08:52 »

(Since Splurkle's download link is broken, and I'd already written this, I'm going to pull rank and say that mine is canon.)

Maudlin of the Well - Gleam In Ranks

The song begins in a understate, minor key with breathy, querulant vocals and a flickering piano line rippling in the background. Tight percussion brings us into an increasingly forceful build-up, and the vocals take on a bleaker, stronger note as the guitars begin to screech and wail. The song stalls a little here, without an obvious climax, and closes with a bizarre little-half solo. We're left hanging rather suddenly - it's taken a long time to get through, and it's all over without having achieved what was promised.

All in all, interesting, but nothing I haven't heard before, even considering that I haven't really listened to proggy metal since I was high school. 6/10

Next person gets to review a tune by an up-and-coming Australian group. The sound quality isn't the greatest, so my apologies. Note that the lyrics are referring to the appalling treatment that Australian aboriginal people have suffered (and continue to suffer) at the hands of a government that considers them subhuman at best and animals at worse.

Blue King Brown - Water

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2006, 14:46 »

Anyone give me advice on this YouSendIt thing?  I just registered, but it seems to only send to email accounts?  How does that work in relation to sharing music with all you fine people?  Thanks for helping with my dumb question.

In regards to the Alamaailman Vasarat song, that is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for lately.  Great, almost klezmer feel to it (I swear there's a clarinet in there).  Fantastic.  A bit lengthy, but good all the same.

7/10

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2006, 14:58 »

Just put down your email or make up one, after it uploads the song it should give you a link for download.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2006, 15:33 »

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

Continuing on!

Blue King Brown - Water

The song definatly had a hip groove.  I love the salsa sort of feel (on a personal note, you should check out Sergent Garcia, a french band with a similar sound).  I felt like the song was repetitive, though, and a little deviod of actual creative songwriting.  It also really could have benefitted from some horns, as is to my understanding , completely necessary to that style of music. 

Overall I liked the song, but I felt like they could have done better
6/10

Beirut - Gulag Orkestar

La Creme

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2006, 15:57 »

Beirut - Gulag Orkestar

Starts out with a slow mishmosh of horns, obviously about to get much faster, and or more intense. And then it doesn't. It gets dub. It gets klezmer-dub all over everyone's asses. Majestic horn line over clunking, mistuned piano gradually plods into a vocal section that is really really good. Vocals drop out, then come back in, this time with actual lyrics, though I can't make em out for shit. The ending is real good, just that clanky piano scooting out.

7/10 for being a decent song with a few nice, unexpected twists.

Next up, some of the most enjoyable music there is, no matter who you are.
Luke Vibert & B.J. Cole - Fly Hawaii

soak

« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2006, 01:45 »

Luke Vibert & B.J. Cole - Fly Hawaii

Aloha, Sponge-Bob Square Pants puts down a chilled number. Very enjoyable. Opens out with some laid back ukulele and procedes to lay a nice break over the top with an ample sprinkling of cheeky xylophone action, nice happy little track.

The next track is for non-aussies, trying to spread the word about the Pandas.

The Panda Band - Musical Chairs

Scytale

« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2006, 03:24 »

The Panda Band - Musical Chairs

Well I'm Australian, but 've never heard of them before, so I downloaded it anyway.

At first I didn't really like it, grew on me with a couple of listens though, starts pretty slow gets good at about the 1:30 mark when the organ comes in.  The singing annoys me, just not my thing, the instrumental breaks are really good though, has a nice proggy sought of noodling vibe going through it, for some strange reason it reminds me a bit of Uriah Heep.  Not the sought of thing I'd buy myself but not completely horrible either.

I'd give it a 7/10

Therion - The wonderous World of Punt 

elcapitan

« Reply #16 on: 19 Oct 2006, 06:55 »

Therion - The Wondrous World Of Punt

It's by Therion. As such, the song will open with thundering chords or with a softly swelling choir. This time, we choose the latter. After a drawn-out choral period, we are treated to the gentle strumming of a clean guitar, while a pair of talented operatic-sounding voices get very choked up about... something. An airy pipe comes in, and we have to listen to uninspired skirling for a few moments before a piano starts rippling out some boring arpeggios. The song repeats in the same vein for about five minutes (which I'll never get back). Then we get the gentle-yet-forceful chords, which lead into a two-minute period of faster drumming, which is obviously supposed to get us fired up. The choir sounds pissed off now, vengeful! A Scandinavian voice sings soprano, in counterpoint to some tenors (who sound, frankly, constipated). More boring, uninspired guitarwork, and the song dies.

Verdict: Like most stuff by Therion, this sounds like... most stuff by Therion. Overlong, overwraught, and not particularly entertaining. This reminds me why I started listening to hip-hop. 3/10.

Speaking of hip-hop, the next person gets to review:
Jean Grae - Love Song
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2006, 07:04 by elcapitan »

Splunkle

« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2006, 15:49 »

Jean Grae - Love Song.

Okay, so this is essentially an old scool song, with some rapper lady going over the top. I hate shit like this. Oh wait, changeup at :50.? The beats and use of samples is somewhat solid, if rather simple, but the rapping is shit. I've heard amatuer dudes in Canberra who were better than this. Fuck. So this goes on for like 2 minutes, and then we get 10 seconds of non-shit non-rapping, and then its back to the crap. Fuck. Rapping is more then adopting an accent, speaking in a monotone with the same rythym for the entire song. Rythmic variation = good. Fuck this Shit. I'm tempted to stop it before finishes.... Yeah, just as I thought - same rapping up to the end, save for a really crap ending where the beat keeps looping, doing nothing new, before ending abruptly - doesn't even fade.

FUCK. 1/10. That would be 5/10 if it had no shitty intro, no shitty rapping, and just a minute of beats. It is shit like this that give hip-hop a bad name.

Here's a chiptune for the next person.
Nullsleep - Her Lazer Light Eyes.

La Creme

« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2006, 17:38 »

Nullsleep - Her Lazer Light Eyes

Do not call this a chiptune. That is a really annoying thing to do. Songs with nothing but casio presets and drum machines are a fun gimmick the first couple times, but after that, they've got to have a bit more going on to catch one's ear. This did not catch my ear at all. It was just like too many other things made on keyboards irritating tight-sweatered slicked-sideways-haired highschooler who just discovered Atom & His Package.

3/10 for not just unauthenticity, but total unoriginality.

I will remedy that piss-poor hip hop with some good ol' Roots.
The Roots - Ital (Universal Side)

Splunkle

« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2006, 20:17 »

You know, Nullsleep did that track with nothing but a gameboy.? If that's not a chiptune, I would like to know just what the fuck a chiptune is.

The Roots - Ital (universal side)
This is much more what hip-hop is about.? For starters, the beats are very funky, and the Electric piano line is preety neat too.? The rapping is much better, with some interplay between the various rappers, some nice rythmic breaks and whatnot.? Not my ideal cup of tea, as I tend to prefer stuff with a stronger musical backing, but still very nice indeed, especially for those who love your lyrics.?

7/10

And now for some rock:
Ashane - Rose of Solemn.

elcapitan

« Reply #20 on: 21 Oct 2006, 00:44 »

Splunkle - you are officially on my shit list. But that's ok, since this is the forced listening thread.

Scytale

« Reply #21 on: 21 Oct 2006, 03:00 »

Ashane - Roes of Solemn

Not bad. The electric guitar from the 2 -4 minute mark reminds me a lot of Kirk Hammett, I think its the tone. Beginning reminds me a lot of the middle part of "Orion".

At about the 5 minute mark the tempo changes and it speeds up. When the soloing comes at about 7 minutes begins to remind me a bit of Dream Theater.

Not bad, sought of band I'd goto the pub to sit down and enjoy with a beer.

8/10

Morrigan - Beyond the Green Hills

Felix_

« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2006, 03:14 »

I don't really have anything to contribute here because I'm somewhat intoxicated but I will say that Morrigan kick ass.

That is all.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2006, 03:32 »

I don't really have anything to contribute here because I'm somewhat intoxicated but I will say that Morrigan pretty decent.

That is all.
I also.

Sorta pounding doomy metal. Blackmetal style vocals. I wouldn't call it blackmetal though. Maybe doom or sludge... too slow for black metal. Pretty sweet nonetheless.
7/10

Sailor Man-Turbonegro.

Oslo's premier homoerotic deathpunk band. Love it or fuck off.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2006, 03:37 by Rizzo »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Splunkle

« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2006, 05:35 »

Splunkle - you are officially on my shit list. But that's ok, since this is the forced listening thread.

Its cool, you are on mine as well, having posted that. =P

Scytale

« Reply #25 on: 21 Oct 2006, 05:55 »

I also.

Sorta pounding doomy metal. Blackmetal style vocals. I wouldn't call it blackmetal though. Maybe doom or sludge... too slow for black metal. Pretty sweet nonetheless.

Yeah Morrigan are pretty much Celtic influenced folk/viking metal, if theres such a genre. They Sound a lot like Bathory to me.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #26 on: 21 Oct 2006, 11:30 »

Sailor Man-Turbonegro.

Oslo's premier homoerotic deathpunk band. Love it or fuck off.

8/10. Not much to say about this, it's loud, it rocks, it's pretty fuckin' sweet. Good drinking music. Kinda reminds me of Husker Du if Husker Du were (Swedish) rednecks I guess.

\m/

Circulus - My Body Is Made Of Sunlight

prog-folk by a band who seem to honestly believe that it's still the middle ages. brilliant

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #27 on: 21 Oct 2006, 12:33 »

If they didn't include the little electronic whizzing in the background and didn't switch time signatures as much they'd have a really majestic pop song on their hands. As is, it's really catchy and hooky and fun ren-faire rock but it's lacking cohesion.

8/10

"Animals Jump" - Wax Mannequin (from the Orchard EP)
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #28 on: 21 Oct 2006, 15:06 »

man, i downloaded and listened to something like the last 4 songs, but was too lazy/distracted to write anything on them before they got nicked by someone else. i actually got halfway through writing a post on the jean grae track (not bad at all, haven't heard much of her stuff before, but it's all been a bit edgier than this -- tight flows though. and i'd say it cuts out at the end cos it's from a mix. anyway, i'm sidetracked).

so anyway. jumping on this before anyone else does.

Wax Mannequin -- Animals Jump

let's see. this was odd. pretty much completely outside my regular listening whatsits (habits? yeah), which was good refreshing. lyrics made next to no sense, which was fun. lead singer's voice was kinda interesting too, went well with the not-making-sense lyrics. guitar was a bit boring, honestly. started to rock out a bit more in the last 30 seconds with the drums and all, but i would have liked them to be a bit more facemelting. but i guess that's just my preferences...

i rate it  8-) out of  :mrgreen:. (that'd give it about a 7 out of ten).

moving on:

Kalyaji Anandji -- Theme From "Don"

i had something else in mind, but then this came up randomly on shuffle and i remembered how badass it was.

kablaaamo

« Reply #29 on: 23 Oct 2006, 22:41 »

Dang. I'm about one post too late....I absolutely love Wax Mannequin, and Animals Jump is one of my favourites of his. I make almost everyone I know listen to it...but anyways, reviewing the song I'm supposed to...

Kalyaji Anandji -- Theme From "Don"

Badass indeed! In general, I don't like horns (too much bad ska and listening to my friends rehearse have ruined me) but they're glorious here, and the little groove in the background is pretty irresistable. I've got it on repeat now. 9/10 (if only because I pretty much never give perfect scores. Yeah, I'm that kind of person.)

From me:
Malajube - Le Crabe

It's in French....but don't hold that against the song.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2006, 22:43 by kablaaamo »

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
« Reply #30 on: 24 Oct 2006, 13:56 »

Malajube- "La Crabe"

Pretty good, and I dig the album artwork.  Soundwise, it's pretty standard power pop-type fare, the closest description I can come up with right now is like a less rocking Ted Leo.  In French.  And is that a theremin in that one part? 7/10

Jawbreaker- "Condition Oakland"
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2006, 10:21 »

Jawbreaker- "Condition Oakland"

I've been meaning to check out these fuckers for years and am now finally inspired to go do so because this kicks ass. Not my usual cup o' tea but there's something damn cool about it, if I had to pick anything, the vocals are really solid. 9/10

Sun Ra - Images

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2006, 05:20 »

[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Scytale

« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2006, 13:41 »

Sun Ra- Images

It's a bit more mellow then what I would usually listen to, but pretty cool chilled out sounding stuff. The piano towards the end was pretty good, I think it could have used a bit more variation though, it seemed to drag a bit in places.

6.5/10

I thought I continue the Instrumental trend.
Darkthrone - Eon

zengunman

« Reply #34 on: 27 Oct 2006, 19:39 »

ZG's guide to essential industrial.

Cabaret Voltaire - Sensoria
Cabaret Voltaire - Red Mask
Frontline Assembly - Tactical Neural Implant (the whole damn album)
Skinny Puppy - Incision
Throbbing Gristle - Convincing people
Psychic TV - Just Like Arcadia (not really industrial, but related)
Coil - Solar Lodge
Babyland - Omaha
Noise Unit - Paradise
Monstrum Sepsis - Thermodynamics
Monstrum Sepsis - Green River
Monstrum Sepsis - The Total Cost

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #35 on: 28 Oct 2006, 12:00 »

That's real nice dude but has absolutely nothing to do with the thread...

Darkthrone-Eon
Really heavy and grinding. Horrible recording and encoding though which kind of killed it for me. Got a bit murky after the first 30 seconds. Keys were really the only thing that stood out. Not my thing, I prefer my metal cheesy and laden with noodley bits.
6/10

I'd love to upload Bleak by Opeth but it's huge and would take forever.

Instead I'm gonna give you two files;
Majik by ohGr
ohGr is the side project of Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy. Rather awesome pop-industrial/synthpop/hiphop (This track is pretty much just industrial.

Astro Zombies by My Chemical Romance
Now I know what you're going to say about MCR and I have to say I agree but this is actually a really good cover. It's quite similar to the original and I really cannot find fault with it. Have a listen

I expect reviews of both tracks but not necessarily two tracks uploaded in return.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2006, 12:19 by Rizzo »
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #36 on: 29 Oct 2006, 20:12 »

My Chemical Romance- "Astro Zombies"

Yeah, it is pretty close to the original, which automatically makes it better than anything My Chemical Romance writes themselves, but also just raises the question "what's the point?"  They didn't try to do anything special or unique with it, so what's the point?  5/10

Hot Water Music- "Choked and Separated"

-OR-

Hot Water Music- "Our Own Way"

I couldn't decide.

minkles

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #37 on: 30 Oct 2006, 05:41 »

Hot Water Music- Choked and Separated:

The songs starts with some pop-punk-ish hooks which don't really change much throughout the very beginning and quickly get boring and repetitive.  The singer's voice is pretty bad too.  Fortunately, the song changes a little into it, and then again near the end, making somewhat of a 3 and a half minute punk epic.  I think I like it.  It gets pretty cool.  The beginning part sucks, though, as do the lyrics.

6.5/10

The Blow- Fists Up
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2006, 05:50 by minkles »

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #38 on: 30 Oct 2006, 07:49 »

Majik by ohGr
I expect reviews of both tracks but not necessarily two tracks uploaded in return.
:D Cheers

SciWed

• Not quite a lurker
  • Blarhagharghn.
« Reply #39 on: 30 Oct 2006, 08:30 »

The Blow - Fists Up
The second the song started, I wanted to rip off my headphones to evade the annoying synth drum intro.  I was about to, but I left them when when the vocalist came in.  Good vocals, and interesting chord progression.  I eventually forgot about the percussion until they became more developed.  I kept listening, and kept waiting for the climax, or at least a chorus.  It kinda just kept droning on, but I guess that made it kinda danceable.  This song really isn't a song to listen to if you appreciate songs that create an ambience, but hell, it makes a pretty good and solid dance-pop song to groove to.
7/10.

Oh No! Oh My! - The Party Punch
http://download.yousendit.com/CC8C0683396DCA5F

Not usually my type of music, but it's so damn catchy.
I encourage you to go look at someone else's signature.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #40 on: 30 Oct 2006, 08:43 »

Majik by ohGr
:D Cheers

AH, my bad.  I didn't read that part.  I thought it was an either/or kind of deal.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #41 on: 30 Oct 2006, 09:31 »

The Oh No! Oh My! song comes up as "The Jolly Rogers" for artist.  Is that some sort of glitch?

SciWed

• Not quite a lurker
  • Blarhagharghn.
« Reply #42 on: 30 Oct 2006, 19:00 »

The Jolly Rogers was their old name, but they changed it to Oh No! Oh My!, but they recorded it under The Jolly Rogers.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #43 on: 02 Nov 2006, 01:17 »

Okay, first, because I didn't the first time.

ohGr- "maJiK"
I'm not really a big fan of this.  I find it kind of dull and weird.  Kind of like Polysics at their most tame on quaaludes.  2/10

And now so that we're up to date:

Oh No! Oh My!/The Jolly Rogers- "The Party Punch"
This is a really fun, catchy folky pop song.  Not mind blowingly good by any means, but pretty damn enjoyable.  And I like the change-up at the end.  8/10

Leatherface- "Dead Industrial Atmosphere"

SciWed

• Not quite a lurker
  • Blarhagharghn.
« Reply #44 on: 02 Nov 2006, 07:01 »

Leatherface - Dead Industrial Atmosphere
I started the song, and I liked the intro hook.  The rest of the intro went pretty good, but I was taken aback when the drums exploded into more of a punk beat at around 0:28.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the change, but I wasn't expecting it.  10 seconds later, it went back to the slower beat.  Then the process repeated about a million times.  The change was neat at first, but got tiring after the 9th time; I think the song went on a little bit too long.  The vocalist also made sure you couldn't hear him, not that he was doing anything special (only yelling).  But despite that, the music itself creats a pretty cool atmosphere filled with soaring distorted guitars and flowing hooks on top.  Pretty good if you're into psuedo-punk/metal.
7/10

How about some Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd:
Pink Floyd - Arnold Layne
http://www.yousendit.com/download/B0A4p8NLp3k%3D

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #45 on: 04 Nov 2006, 03:13 »

Pink Floyd -- Arnold Layne

Well. Let's see here.

(queues up track, starts listening/typing).

I, admittedly, don't know as much as I should about the rock/pop canon. Didn't really grow up with it around the house and never did as much historical investigation as I perhaps should have. So i won't be all like "ZOMG FLOYD" or "OH MAN OVERRATED" because, frankly, I've never heard a lot of it.

Killer organ automatically gets points. And the buildup to a kind of "wall of sound" aesthetic in around the middle of the song is nice, although the organ kind of comes out in front later (That's ok though, since it's the organ). Occasional reverb on the drums is a nice touch. Onto a second listening. Organ is still gold. Strong point of the track, I think. Wall of sound pops back for a bit in the lat minute ? vocals seem to be mixed at the same level as the instruments, interesting texture.

Difficult to rate, really. Perfectly palatable tune with some nice points; didn't really grab me as amazing, inspiring, or revolutionary, but then maybe that's because I'm not in the 1960s, and so it's hard to gauge how it would have sounded then. But then maybe it's not meant to be any of those things. Anyway. Ranting. Let's call it a 7.5 out of 10. Average, with an extra .5 for the organ.

Right then. On we go. Unapologetically posting more breakcore. Someone has to.

Drumcorps -- Botch Up and Die. \m/

Drumcorps is an Aaron Spectre project. I'm pretty sure it's just him, but I might be wrong. I've only just found out about his stuff a little while ago, and I really like it. Breakcore that's been constructed from grindcore/metal samples that have been sliced up, timestretched, and generally fucked around with. I'd like to see what Khar or one of the other resident metalheads thinks here, but of course anyone can grab this if they like/hate/are curious about it.
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2006, 03:16 by salada »

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #46 on: 04 Nov 2006, 03:30 »

Holy crap! This rules!
Think Venetian Snares meets every excellent metal riff you've heard and then scramble the hell out of it and crank the tempo up. I imagine a whole album would get tiring.
9/10

Won't be posting a song for an hour or two so if someone else wants to then go for it.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #47 on: 04 Nov 2006, 05:12 »

Holy crap! This rules!
Think Venetian Snares meets every excellent metal riff you've heard and then scramble the hell out of it and crank the tempo up. I imagine a whole album would get tiring.
9/10

Won't be posting a song for an hour or two so if someone else wants to then go for it.

hmmm...wow...how did this track get a review like that

as far as i'm concerned grind should be hard, loud and fast... and in this case one out of three is bad because all they managed to get down pat was the fast, the riff started off at mediocre and then as previously mentioned "got scrambled to hell" leaving us with an out of time disjointed piece of music which for some odd reason has a hardcore vocalist the drumminghowever is good in the parts where some one didn't try and hack it up
5.5/10

i'm going to upload two files (sorry about the low quality (128kbs wma))

for the person who just gave that last review i am offering some good death-grind masacre by the berzerker
http://www.sendspace.com/file/h8x818

and up for review the opening track of dallas crane's self titled album dirty hearts a nice piece of hard rock (can someone non-australian (read: who dosn't know them) review this one)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6lejfq
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #48 on: 04 Nov 2006, 06:01 »

as far as i'm concerned grind should be hard, loud and fast... and in this case one out of three is bad because all they managed to get down pat was the fast, the riff started off at mediocre and then as previously mentioned "got scrambled to hell" leaving us with an out of time disjointed piece of music which for some odd reason has a hardcore vocalist the drumminghowever is good in the parts where some one didn't try and hack it up
5.5/10
He never said it was grind, just that it was made of grind samples. Besides, I really like electronic music and metal so this was a cool buzz I reckon.

EDIT: The Berzerker-Massacre
Pretty good grindcore. I like it but it's a bit repetitive for my tastes. The guitar tone is pretty weak (not taking the piss). The electronic drumbeat in the background doesn't really do anything for me...
6/10
Here's some grindcore I prefer;
Nasum-Fury
http://download.yousendit.com/DEF45C271E3FE749 
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2006, 06:21 by Rizzo »

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #49 on: 06 Nov 2006, 02:28 »

Although I don't listen to a lot of it, I have a soft-spot for grindcore -- mainly because it's really really fast, and in a way shares some qualities with gabber/breakcore/speedcore/etc. Genre-splitting, Drumcorps' stuff is breakcore constructed largely from metal/grind samples. I think there might be some original guitar work on some of the tracks, but it's hard to tell, and I don't really fancy trying my hand at grindcore sample-spotting. And the "scrambling to hell" and "hacking up" is kind of the point. I do however realise it's the kind of stuff that doesn't float a lot of peoples' boats. Getting people to like breakcore is kind of like selling Romanian-language fluid mechanics textbooks on a street corner. Or something.

Anyway. The Nasum track.

Don't think much of the vocals really, but then I'm always like that with loud growly stuff. There's only so many ways you can be all growly before it all gets a bit same-same. Pity, it kind of gets in the way of the guitar. And i guess i'd like the drums to be more interesting sometimes (that was why the Drumcorps stuff interested me so much), but they had me tapping along nonetheless. And the whole "we-don't-fuck-around" attitude that most of this music carries -- it's up and going before the first second -- gets lots of points.

Let's say..... 7.9.

Right then. Enough of this grindcore business. I came into a big swag of French stuff the other day -- hip-hop and dub mostly, but a few other odds and ends as well -- so I thought maybe I'd share a bit of it.

Le Klub des Loosers -- Sous le signe du V
(The Losers' Club -- Under the V Sign)

It might lose a bit if you can't follow the lyrics, but it's still some nicely-produced hip-hop, and a welcome change from the (largely) horrible mainstream scene over here (guns, bitches, etc).

(edit'd because I suck at closing tags)
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2006, 02:39 by salada »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up