THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 22:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 28390 times)

Tengokujin

• Not quite a lurker
Final Fantasy XII
« on: 01 Nov 2006, 21:35 »

In response to Jeph's mention of the game on the main page, I had to register to say this one thing:
it has already consumed my life.
And I'm enjoying every minute of it.
::happily sad::

AdamIsConceited

Re: Final Fantasy XII
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2006, 21:43 »

I'm holding off on buying this for the following reasons:

-To see if it's worth the buy (I'm certain it is).

-Price drop!

-It will indeed devour my soul... I have a very busy life.  The last Final Fantasy absorbed me for quite a while... just like each previous release with those around 90hrs a piece too.

Fabio

« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2006, 21:44 »

I haaaaaaaaaate you all, goddamn you americans and your  gettinggamesbeforeusness! -_-

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2006, 22:14 »

I just reserved a copy. I didn't have any time to get it yesterday (being halloween and all) but I'm soooo stoked on picking it up.
My hope is that my girlfriend wont dump because of this game, but hey, priorities right?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 02 Nov 2006, 03:31 »

i picked it up yesterday afternoon and my room mates are already sick of it. they cant stand rpgs of any sort so i rented the Family Guy video game to pacify them during the sparce breaks from FFXII i've been taking.
anyway, this game is worth the money already and i'm barely into it. money well spent.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #5 on: 02 Nov 2006, 05:21 »

I won't buy it until I'm done playing Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (which will probably be next week sometime), but I'm definitely picking it up.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #6 on: 02 Nov 2006, 06:35 »

Want.
Hate, rain on me

Ulmassir

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 02 Nov 2006, 21:05 »

I'm hesitant, since it seems to take place in the same world as in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Which is a terrible, piece of shit mockery compared to the original FFT. They have nothing in common.

The main character from FF12 looks wussier than even Tidus or Squall. Meh.

Ulmassir

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 02 Nov 2006, 21:06 »

That said, though, I'll end up buying it anyway. (Hell, I bought FFX-2...)

JJMitchell

« Reply #9 on: 03 Nov 2006, 18:56 »

FFXII is frigging awesome.

The combat is different but not bad in any way.

The story is interesting.  FFX just kind of interested me but this story really makes me want to find out what is going on.

The voice acting is great.  The lead character, who is very adroginous (however you spell that), isn't whiny or wimpy.  There has only been one character that I thought was whiny.  It isn't a recurring character though.

All in all I'm loving it.

Fiddler

« Reply #10 on: 03 Nov 2006, 19:11 »

Yeah, I broke down and bought this last night.  I have a lab due tonight and I wanted to finish it before I bought it, but I just couldnt resist cuz I was right by the store getting dinner with some friends.   I feel guilty, but its worth it haha.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #11 on: 03 Nov 2006, 20:25 »

Yeah, this game is pretty terrific. Second the thoughts on Vaan ? in a possible JRPG first, he's young and plucky without being a total twerp (coughTIDUScough).

And it's HARD. My guys die all the time, and I know what I'm doing with the Gambit system. I just beat a boss that took almost 15 minutes to kill. The automation doesn't make the game any easier or less hands-on, it just frees you up to concentrate on the important stuff without having micromanage every HP loss and status ailment. 

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #12 on: 04 Nov 2006, 00:37 »

Fifteen minutes qualifies as a long time to beat a boss? You danged kids.
Hate, rain on me

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #13 on: 04 Nov 2006, 05:45 »

no kidding. i spent something like two hours* fighting the end boss for Legend of Dragoon.

*estimated time. it was a long time ago and i dont remember exactly.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #14 on: 04 Nov 2006, 10:46 »

You don't unnerstand. This game moves REALLY fast, and I've got the battle speed turned almost all the way up. Legend of Dragoon had one of the most sluggish battle systems ever because of all the defending you had to do to heal up. In this game, most regular battles are done in less than 30 seconds, and most boss battles so far in less than 5 minutes.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #15 on: 04 Nov 2006, 10:53 »

Man, asking why androgeny is so prevalent in Final Fantasy is like asking why every 14-year-old girl in anime has gigantic knockers. Nobody really knows.

Tengokujin

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #16 on: 04 Nov 2006, 11:21 »

Game spoilers, ahoy.

If you don't likey, don't highlight. (I'm assuming beige doesn't show up against grey or white very well.)

I find excessive leveling + all the licenses for suppourt skills = kickassery. Usually. The higher level marks are definitely doing a good job kicking my arse, though. Why this snake in the Caverns (Dalmasca Westersand entrance) and this wyrm (West part of Westersand) and some other level 3+ marks (Like the giant, headless tortoise in Giza, Rain Season) just about killed me. I needed to switch in my other three characters, just so that I'd have enough hp buffer to zone and raise them all.

Currently 31, with 2400-ish HP. The license for +500HP rocks. :p

Mist Knacks/Quickenings also increase your MP, so find and get them as quickly as possible. Chaining Knacks allowed me to half kill Belias and fully kill Vossler with one go. To chain: press one of the buttons that show up during the countdown. If they say "Mist Charge", press it again, after they "charge". If there are no buttons, press R2, repeatedly, until a button shows up. Countdown gets shorter, the more you chain.

I give the story an AWESOME on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being great and 1 being good. Advice for relative ease of gameplay: kill everything in your way that you are capable of killing. Even if you don't have to. Not only do they offer LP for those pesky licenses, you can sell the loot for future armoury investments. (Related: set a gambit to steal. :3 )

Nitpick: Androgyny, androgynous.

I'm also pretty sure I missed something in posting, but it's 2AM, rawr.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #17 on: 04 Nov 2006, 12:06 »

I just finished Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, so I am firing up my copy of FF12 as we speak.

I really effin' LOVE that they used a version of the original opening theme for the intro sequence before you choose 'new game' or 'load game'. Since the original Final Fantasy was literally one of my first video games ever, that was a pretty awesome tie-in for me.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #18 on: 04 Nov 2006, 12:14 »

I've found a standard Gambit chain that works pretty well:

1. Any ally -- Raise
2. Ally<50% HP -- Cura
3, Any ally -- Esuna
4. Any foe -- Attack
5. Any ally -- Protect
6. Self -- Libra

With additional character-specific Gambits between No. 3 and 4 as needed, and using items on the fly as needed. I'm only around level 24, though, and my Gambit options are pretty limited.

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #19 on: 04 Nov 2006, 21:19 »

I bought it too, played it last night; I'm looking for the rogue tomato as we speak. Absolutely beautiful, gorgeous game--this dev crew is simply amazing (I'm a total FFT and Vagrant Story fanboy--the other mainstream FFs, not so much). One thing that I especially love are the sound effects--which are basically the same as they were in Vagrant Story--the chtink chtink of suits of armor, the realism of the slashing noises... so awesome.

Wow, this game takes me back. I should just take a week's vacation.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #20 on: 04 Nov 2006, 21:46 »

I rented it last night, FINALLY. The game is gorgeous and the gameplay is not as bad as I thought it would be. It's actually very fun, and the fighting does not bore me. The story is intriguing but it still has yet to really kick off. Also..yes, it reminds me very much of Vagrant Story.
Hate, rain on me

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #21 on: 05 Nov 2006, 00:04 »

I went to Wal-Mart (the only place in town to buy video games) yesterday to buy this. They were sold out.

So I bought Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

And made an irrelevant post about it today.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tengokujin

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #22 on: 05 Nov 2006, 08:57 »

I went to Wal-Mart (the only place in town to buy video games) yesterday to buy this. They were sold out.

So I bought Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

And made an irrelevant post about it today.
FTW.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #23 on: 05 Nov 2006, 10:16 »

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well the battle system works; I'm also impressed by the quality of the English translation and voice acting. I'm about 4 hours in and will probably go to play more as soon as I'm done with posting this.

Rubby

« Reply #24 on: 06 Nov 2006, 05:38 »

I'm really loving it.
I can?t believe how far some of you are already. I just got out of the mines in the Sky City place (whatever it's called). At first I thought the battle system was going to piss me off but now I'm just loving it. I had to beat the Mimic Queen before I really got the hang of it though because that was the first really hard battle so it kind of forced me to understand it. Awesome game overall.

Dimsey

« Reply #25 on: 08 Nov 2006, 08:32 »

I haven't really played an FF game since 8, kinda grew tired of it - but I've heard good things about this game and most people I know are saying the combat system change is probably the best thing to happen to the game in a while and considering the combats usually been my main gripe with FF games this is good to hear.

I'll be getting it when I can

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #26 on: 09 Nov 2006, 10:50 »

Bah!  Final Fantasy IX is my favorite! :(

Although it may be trumped in my eyes when FF-III DS launches next Tuesday.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #27 on: 09 Nov 2006, 20:53 »

I caved and bought FFXII from amazon yesterday. It should arrive on my doorstep on Monday.

There goes all my free time.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

JJMitchell

« Reply #28 on: 09 Nov 2006, 21:10 »

FFXII has truly been the most enjoyable one for me yet.

It starts off a little slow but not so bad as some people would lead you to believe. 

edcho7000

« Reply #29 on: 10 Nov 2006, 19:52 »

yeah, FF 9 was my favorite too, though i am really diggin FF12 so far.  i agree the battle system is cool, but i liked the battle system of FF10 too, i liked the way you could bring in party members in and out during battle.  and FF9 was my favorite for the story and charactes, and that one probably had the worst battle system , definately the blandest, of the modern FF games.

Narr

« Reply #30 on: 11 Nov 2006, 03:31 »

I am not getting it for some time.

I have Guitar Hero II, Battlefield 2142 (I can't believe I bought the game because I hate EA with a passion, but it's a really goddamn awesome game), and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade to play in my spare time.

And then I have Disgaea 2 to fall back on when I feel like I need to be a completionist bastard and spend all my free time in a video game.

toodles

« Reply #31 on: 11 Nov 2006, 04:49 »

Video games have consumed my soul! :evil:

I mean oh um... I'm addicted to the FF series. I am currently trying to find FFVII because my family's copy got eaten by the house somewhere. My brother has moved on to the X-Box 360, leaving me in the dust going, "What?!? Nobody in Fairbanks sells playstation one stuff anymore?!? But those are some great games!"

I'm loving FFXII so far. It's so perty... and the battle system grew on me. Even though I do love the old system, I do also rremember getting frustrated when I had to pause mid-stride to fight a battle. Now it makes game play more exciting. Does anyone else remember playing FFVIII and spending hours of game play drawing spells so that you could get better abilities?

Geek out!
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2006, 04:51 by toodles »

Merkava

« Reply #32 on: 14 Nov 2006, 05:49 »

FFXII owns. I'm 27 hours in and am still having a blast. It just keeps getting better and better.

My only problem is my mage (Penelo). I've been using bows with her, but I found out a bit too late that staves boost magic attack. That should solve my problem with running out of MP, but she's already doing 700+ damage, which is almost twice my fighters.

My main party is Ashe, Basch, and Penelo. I thought that controlling Ashe would be too much to deal with, her being my healer and all, but it's fine. Keeps me on my toes.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #33 on: 14 Nov 2006, 06:21 »

I'm about 55 hours in at this point, my main character (Vaan) is around level 45 and everyone else is in the mid-30s because I keep swapping them out. I just got to the point in the game where 2-handed swords are available and DAMN do they kick a lot of ass. I've got 'em on both my tanks. Two dudes wailing on a mark with claymores == lots and lots of damage very quickly.

My default party setup is Vaan as the heavy hitter with Balthier running support and stealing everything in sight. Character three is interchangeable depending on the situation- usually it's Penelo (my caster) for healing and crowd damage, but against tough marks I'll swap in Basch (my other big physical fighter) or Ashe (balanced all around). Fran is currently just Balthier's replacement if he goes down in a fight and I don't have time to res him.

I do swap people in and out a lot, because having a balanced overall party makes the boss fights a LOT easier. If all three of your "main" party gets wiped out, it's important that the other three aren't complete wusses when they get called in.

Right now Vaan and Basch are using Claymores, I've got Balthier with guns, Fran with bows/katanas, Ashe with sword/shield, and Penelo with poles. Might switch her over to staves once it's time to upgrade again.

It's a really good game.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Rubby

« Reply #34 on: 14 Nov 2006, 08:36 »

So aside from the battle system and party optimizations, what do you guys think of the story line so far. I know no one's finished it, but any initial thoughts.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 14 Nov 2006, 10:25 »

I'm about 55 hours in at this point

Jesus, man. I thought I was playing a lot and I'm only 30 hours in. But then again I'm still a full-time student with a part-time job. I'd probably be up to 70-something hours if I had the chance.

Anyway, my main party of Vaan, Fran and Ashe are all about level 30 with the others at around 25 because I try to swap them in occasionally. Problem is, I'm stuck at the second Esper fight (the one you beat to get the Sword of the Tyrant or whatever it's called). The damn ice ball things keep killing me before I make a dent in the main boss's HP, and for some reason they seem to be immune to fire magic. Any suggestions?

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #36 on: 14 Nov 2006, 10:47 »

The ice things are weak to thunder magic. Get a good Quickening chain going and you can take them all out right quick. Mateus is really hard, though level 30 is higher than I was at the time. You should be able to do it eventually. But do NOT try to cast magic directly on Mateus -- she has Reflect.

I've actually been keeping all characters no more than a level or two apart ? I like having everyone on the same page. Oh, and I bought everyong Golden Amulets for double LP earnage.

Tengokujin

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #37 on: 16 Nov 2006, 09:43 »

Better yet, steal/kill lots of Redmaws for Ice Shield. Half Ice damage FTW. Also, I find that having one character casting lure and keeping the boss away from the other two (who are using ranged) helps out a lot. Lure is annoying, though. It keeps losing to my innate magick resist/evade, so I sometimes need to cast it 7 times for it to stick. ::sad::

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #38 on: 17 Nov 2006, 04:21 »

I'm about 44 hours in by now. The way I've been playing is by keeping every party member pretty balanced out, so that I don't have to rely on any one member for any certain thing. I also just recently noticed the "Shuffle" option during Quickening attacks. This really comes in handy and I feel very, very dumb for not noticing it before. I also realize that I need to buy some more magic instead of focusing so much on my armor and weapons.
Hate, rain on me

TimA

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #39 on: 20 Nov 2006, 21:25 »

I'm trying to hold off on getting this until I finish my current writing project. Yeah. Good luck with that.

Taber

« Reply #40 on: 22 Nov 2006, 06:09 »

about 50 hours. I'm afraid Vaan, Fran, and Basch are about level 45, and Balthier, Ashe, and Penelo are about level 15. alll have all the +hp licenses so the unused characters can take a hit or two if they need to come in to rez the party, or run away. Most of the time I bring them in on bosses to use their quickenings if Vaan, Fran, and Basch's quickening falls short. I have Vaan in light armor, Fran in magic and Basch in Heavy armor, and their roles correspond, or at least should. I have Vaan tanking right now, because he has more defense and hp than Basch. This game seems to keep you pretty poor, so I've been keeping up with the magic, but haven't bought any weapons or armor for awhile, and I just happened to find better light armor from hunts/stealing/bazaar

anyway, I think the game's pretty fun, the combat system is great. The characters are fun, though the story didn't really grab me. But that could be because My roommate keeps comparing it to Star Wars. And while part of me thinks he's right, he's mutilated that dead horse to a fine red mist

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #41 on: 22 Nov 2006, 06:55 »

I kinda screwed myself over and can't get any further until I kill the Croakadile.  Which wouldn't be a big deal, except I was only able to Mist Charge 7 times once, against Belias.  I just need to do that at least once, and whip out Belias and the other two quickening capable users and be on my way, only luck hasn't been on my side.  And I've got two level twenties and four nineteens.  Lately I've all but given up on it for Zelda.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 22 Nov 2006, 07:21 »

Lately I've all but given up on it for Zelda.

Yeah, me too. I love this game and all but Zelda kind of takes precedence.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #43 on: 23 Nov 2006, 00:43 »

About 60-something hours now. I'm conquering as many hunts and sidequests as I can right now, while also leveling up my characters. I'm coming quite close to the end, a fact taht I was unaware of until about a week ago.
Hate, rain on me

Nutsaur

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #44 on: 28 Nov 2006, 19:02 »

How mint is the idea of 'loot'? I was tired of creating reasons why monsters eat Gil.

jake-s

« Reply #45 on: 29 Nov 2006, 01:03 »

:cry: we dont get in england till 2007. But when we do i will be obsessed :mrgreen:

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #46 on: 29 Nov 2006, 01:06 »

God dang I cannot believe that i have spent more than eighty fuckin' hours on this game I can't believe that it's so long but it seems like I haven't spent that much time yet and I'm fuckin' far in the game and the sidequests are like numerous and I am fuckin' TIRED...
Hate, rain on me

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #47 on: 29 Nov 2006, 07:01 »

When I asked my best friend about his opinion on this game, he said, and I quote "I want it more than life." And that's how I feel. But I just bought FFIII for DS, and I'm gunna wait to pick this up until Christmas/post-Christmas.

Still, it sounds ZOMG.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #48 on: 01 Dec 2006, 05:20 »

Round 50 hours, and I'm trying to keep up with all the magic/equipment/gambits/etc. I'm not real big on the technicks. I really actually haven't used a single one yet. I like taking marks, teleporting to where the petitioner/mark is and then walking back for the loot and LP. Vaan (light armor & knives), Fran (light armor & bows), Ashe (one handed swords and heavy armor) are all level 48 and the rest of the party level 15. Four espers, nearly complete upper license boards for Ashe and Vaan (who have Golden Amulets), etc.

Am currently walking from the port city back to Rabanastre instead of teleporting for gil and loot and stuff, then will destroy some marks, get hella pimped out and continue with the storyline, which is really very interesting right now. I like how there is a lot of storyline and getting things done and then, bam, it hits you with some great chracter exposition. Balthier is probably my favorite character at this point in the game.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #49 on: 02 Dec 2006, 20:43 »

A bit of suggestion: You probably should try out some of those tecknicks. A lot of them are pretty useless, but a few come in very handy, like steal and telekinesis. Not to mention the ones that lower the enemies' stats.
Hate, rain on me
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up