THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 17:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 28303 times)

Merkava

Re: Final Fantasy XII
« Reply #50 on: 03 Dec 2006, 02:37 »

Now I'm thinking...

Gameplay-wise, the game is brilliant, but I'm pretty dissapointed with the story and characters. The plot itself is interesting enough, but the execution is lacking for me. I don't have the emotional connection to this that I had to the rest of the series starting from 4. Is anyone else feeling this way?

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #51 on: 03 Dec 2006, 06:00 »

That's one of the huge changes that XII has made to the series.

What the developers were going after was more of a political, mature storyline. While I personally would have liked more focus into the characters, I commend Square Enix for a change of pace in terms of storytelling. But like I said, having a mature storyline dosen't mean you can't delve into the inner character of the... characters a little. Though I'm not saying there aren't a few pretty emotional moments through the story, mostly toward the end of the game.
Hate, rain on me

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #52 on: 03 Dec 2006, 07:26 »

Ever since Final Fantasy 6, it's hard for me to really care about characters in RPGs any more. That's not to say I don't think they're well done or interesting characters these days, I just don't care about them as more than digital playthings I get to watch twist in the wind. For example, I think that Star Wars: KOTOR 1 has really well done and well written characters, but I didn't care about them. I found it damned amusing to play the Dark Side and screw with them.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #53 on: 03 Dec 2006, 08:02 »

I actually like most of the characters in XII, even though I'm not nearly as far as most people anymore. Not as much as say, VI (Sabin is probably my favorite RPG character of all time), but more than X for sure.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #54 on: 04 Dec 2006, 02:57 »

I'll agree with the characters being less relatable. However, I think the way in which they do delve into the character's personalities very realistic. They're in the middle of political upheaval, in the middle of this huge quest. They're all people that have, pretty much, just met. They're not going to be having heart to hearts all the time. I do wish they would have expanded Basch vs. Vaan a little bit, but I'm really liking the angle they're taking with Balthier and Ashe.

As far as Technicks, I've been absolutely fine without them. I'll probably delve into them a little more, but my gil mostly goes towards equipment and magic.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

ackblom12

« Reply #55 on: 04 Dec 2006, 11:42 »

I've got XII on its way to me from Gamefly now. Here's hoping I like it.

I seriously have despised every FF game since VII, and even VII didn't come close to IV or VI for me. I've hated every character but Auron since then (the major exception being IX, where i loved all the characters, but just couldn't make myself enjoy the story), and I have found the stories either boring, or trying way too hard to be epic and fantastical and tossing in plot twists just because they hadn't used that specific plot twist in that specific game yet.

I've heard enough good things though that I'm fairly confident this one will definitely be enjoyed for many many hours by me. That and it was made by the Vagrant Story team, that alone makes me willing to give it a chance.

Rocinante

« Reply #56 on: 06 Dec 2006, 03:09 »

I'm about 15 hours in, haven't played it for a while. It seems to me that amassing enough gil to pay for upgrades is one of the worst parts. I'm a fan of the hunts and the battle system, but I've got to agree, the characters just don't seem as deep as previous titles.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #57 on: 06 Dec 2006, 12:35 »

A tip for money: buy monographs ASAP. They become available at the bazaar when you've talked to various merchant types and looked at the hunt board a bunch of times. There's more about them at GameFaqs, but they make it more likely that enemies will drop rare loot that's worth more; each monograph corresponds to one or two monster types. Also, steal from everything. All the time. Forever.

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #58 on: 06 Dec 2006, 14:28 »

Beat it, 60-something hours, using cheap strategies to make the game easy (hey, it's how I play). Spoilers.

What is incredibly shocking to me is that the biggest disappointment of the game is... the plot! I don't think I'm spoiling too much to say that... well... not much happens. Villains show up, you beat them, the end. Your characters don't even have any idea they're going to confront Vayne until the very end.

Compare that to Kefka, who spends the whole length of the game burning castles, poisoning rivers, killing his fellow generals, and wearing stiletto heels; or Sephiroth, who haunts and dogs you every damn second; or even Seymour, whose silky smooth voice made you almost break your controller in hatred... Vayne pops up in a few cut scenes, then boom, you gotta beat him, he's so bad, then you beat him.

The greatest casualty of the abruptness of everything is Dr. Cid, though. BEST VOICE ACTING in the game... and such wasted talent, too. The guy is freaking awesome. Wish we could've seen more of him.

Rocinante

« Reply #59 on: 06 Dec 2006, 23:16 »

A tip for money: buy monographs ASAP. They become available at the bazaar when you've talked to various merchant types and looked at the hunt board a bunch of times. There's more about them at GameFaqs, but they make it more likely that enemies will drop rare loot that's worth more; each monograph corresponds to one or two monster types. Also, steal from everything. All the time. Forever.

Thanks for the help! Stealing just seems like such a waste sometimes, but I guess you gotta do some redundant juck before you get what you want.

Ok, so the plot may be a bit stale, but I thought that the graphics, in particular, the airship sequences, were nothing short of spectacular.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #60 on: 06 Dec 2006, 23:47 »

So aside from the battle system and party optimizations, what do you guys think of the story line so far. I know no one's finished it, but any initial thoughts.

Beat it a week ago. Story was pretty good as far as FF games go!

God Damn some of the endgame optional stuff is hard. There are places where my high-50s/low-60s main party still gets destroyed just by regular monsters.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #61 on: 08 Dec 2006, 01:50 »

Beat it, 60-something hours, using cheap strategies to make the game easy (hey, it's how I play). Spoilers.

What is incredibly shocking to me is that the biggest disappointment of the game is... the plot! I don't think I'm spoiling too much to say that... well... not much happens. Villains show up, you beat them, the end. Your characters don't even have any idea they're going to confront Vayne until the very end.

Compare that to Kefka, who spends the whole length of the game burning castles, poisoning rivers, killing his fellow generals, and wearing stiletto heels; or Sephiroth, who haunts and dogs you every damn second; or even Seymour, whose silky smooth voice made you almost break your controller in hatred... Vayne pops up in a few cut scenes, then boom, you gotta beat him, he's so bad, then you beat him.

The greatest casualty of the abruptness of everything is Dr. Cid, though. BEST VOICE ACTING in the game... and such wasted talent, too. The guy is freaking awesome. Wish we could've seen more of him.

I have to agree with the thing about Dr. Cid. That was a very good moment right there. I have to disagree about the Vayne thing though.. I knew I was going to face him last even before I actually FOUND OUT. I still haven't beaten it though. I'm still doing optional stuff.. almost one-hundred hours in.
Hate, rain on me

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #62 on: 08 Dec 2006, 02:10 »

No pity from me! HAHAHAHAHA

mts

« Reply #63 on: 11 Dec 2006, 00:48 »

i just started playing last night.  its taken me a bit to get used to the battle system.  so it may seem like a stupid question but is there any point in running in when you are about to strike and then moving out until your charge bar goes?

stealing seams worhtwhile to me, the first cactus i stole from gave me a broadsword.. i mean i cant use it yet but i got it

any other beginer tips?

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #64 on: 11 Dec 2006, 06:39 »

Somethimes keeping your chracter moving does do some good.

Don't worry.. the enemies are kind of hard when you start out.

More tips? Make sure you buy licenses only for what is avaliable at a shop ahead of time. There is no point in buying equipment that you won't be able to use for a while.

Make sure you try to spend your money on different things. I went a long time without having certain magicks that would have helped me out a lot.

Do as many hunts as you can. These are a major source of valuable gear and gil, not to mention it gives you a good excuse to level up without being bored to death.
Hate, rain on me

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #65 on: 11 Dec 2006, 07:21 »

I'm too lazy to go look it up, but I was browsing through the FFXII guide at Best Buy a few days ago, and Quickenings jumped out to me. They didn't explain it very well, but it sounded to me like this game's version of limit breaks or special attack skills that require you to charge a bar up somehow...?? That sounds pretty rocking to me. I think one of the few decent things to come out of FFVII were the idea of limit breaks or whatever they call it in such and such game.

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #66 on: 11 Dec 2006, 12:31 »

Actually, though limit breaks were far more visible in FFVII, the credit for the basic concept really goes to FFVI. Each character has a unique critical attack that has a 1/16 (or is it 1/8?) chance of executing when you select "Fight" in critical condition. Incidentally, I have never even seen one myself (FFVI's greatest sin was lack of difficulty, hence rarely are chars ever critical).

Now, I immensely enjoyed the storylines from Vagrant Story and FFT, which were similarly political, adult, and convoluted, but in both of those cases it seemed like there was much more story than in FFXII. Although the plot is far from perfunctory, I would go as far as to call it skeletal. Like so many other things in life, FFXII's plot NEEDS MORE FLESH!

mts

« Reply #67 on: 11 Dec 2006, 13:34 »

i have noticed i die a lot more than with previos ff games

when can you change your gambits? i reckon its with 3 players in your party, but figured i would ask

Rocinante

« Reply #68 on: 11 Dec 2006, 20:52 »

i have noticed i die a lot more than with previos ff games

when can you change your gambits? i reckon its with 3 players in your party, but figured i would ask

After you progress a little ways into the game, there should be a short tutorial on setting up gambits. If memory serves, this happens shortly after Balthier and Fran join the party. If this isn't what you were asking about, sorry!

Tengokujin

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #69 on: 11 Dec 2006, 21:44 »

I am a sad, pathetic person.
But I will be a sad, pathetic person who's going to fight Ultima, later today (I hope).

And Zodiark was a pain in the arse.

mts

« Reply #70 on: 11 Dec 2006, 22:44 »

nope that did ansawer my question

Rocinante

« Reply #71 on: 12 Dec 2006, 03:57 »

I am a sad, pathetic person.
But I will be a sad, pathetic person who's going to fight Ultima, later today (I hope).

And Zodiark was a pain in the arse.

*Jaw drops*

Wow, that looks like a LOT of time in front of the ol' PS2 , congratulations!

...and, I'm sorry for you   :^)

mts

« Reply #72 on: 12 Dec 2006, 08:23 »

gees, and i can;t even beat flowering cactoid..

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #73 on: 12 Dec 2006, 08:29 »

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn those are some high levels.

And a very long chain DAAAAAAAMMMNN.
Hate, rain on me

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #74 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:04 »

This game seems/looks like FFX smashed together with a MMORPG. At least that's how I imagine it from the stuff I read, and the demo I got with Dragon Quest VIII. Is that even close, or way off base?? I just can't imagine a FF where I drop enough hours into it to equal a Nippon Ichi strategy RPG unless it's vaguely MMORPG-like.

Rocinante

« Reply #75 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:26 »

This game seems/looks like FFX smashed together with a MMORPG. At least that's how I imagine it from the stuff I read, and the demo I got with Dragon Quest VIII. Is that even close, or way off base?? I just can't imagine a FF where I drop enough hours into it to equal a Nippon Ichi strategy RPG unless it's vaguely MMORPG-like.

The combat system is reminiscent of an MMORPG, and I think that it's done very well. The transition between standard travel and battle is almost seamless.

Oh, and I just bought DQ VIII after getting FFXII. My buddy wanted me to beat FFXII and give it to him to play. I just gave him the demo copy from Dragon Quest, I wonder if he'll hate me? Dragon Quest is a good game in and of itself, too.

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #76 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:48 »

Slightly OT, but for some reason I have a hell of a time getting into the Nippon Ichi games... and, as I've mentioned, I LOVED FFT. But I guess FFT was simpler than Disgaea 2.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #77 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:01 »

I really like the Nippon Ichi games but I never finish them ever because they are so fucking long. I came really close to finishing Phantom Brave (I'll probably go back to it and finish the last few levels eventually), but I haven't even come close to finishing either Disgaea game or Makai Kingdom. They're plenty of fun, but man, they take forever.

ackblom12

« Reply #78 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:34 »

Well, after playing it for a few days, I like a lot of things about FFXII, But I seriously can't make myself give a damn about anything going on at all.

I like the combat system more than i was expecting, though i still much prefer full Turn-Based. Balthier kicks so much fucking ass, and I genuinely like all the characters. They basically fixed almost everything I started hating about the series since VII.. and I really don't care enough to finish the game.

Still a good game, but I think I've just stopped having the capacity to care about any new FF.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #79 on: 12 Dec 2006, 21:11 »

I'm gunna start a new NIS thread so we can talk about those games and not overrun this thread.

Merkava

« Reply #80 on: 13 Dec 2006, 01:59 »

I'll agree with the characters being less relatable. However, I think the way in which they do delve into the character's personalities very realistic. They're in the middle of political upheaval, in the middle of this huge quest. They're all people that have, pretty much, just met. They're not going to be having heart to hearts all the time. I do wish they would have expanded Basch vs. Vaan a little bit, but I'm really liking the angle they're taking with Balthier and Ashe.

I don't know, SE has shown that they are able to pull those heart strings in other ways. But even putting that aside, I don't feel like I have any effect on any of the major events. I'm just part of some resistance faction that runs around on beaches and forests to...what again? Oh yeah, to find a stone or something. I can never really remember. Bad sign. The villains are doing their own thing and we're doing our own thing and it's as if we randomly cross paths.

I don't remember many heart-to-hearts in the other FF games. I know there were a lot in FFX, and that total character focus was a nice, personal direction for that game, but games like IV, VI, and even VII to an extent were able to develop an emotional connection otherwise.

Bah. Sorry to rant. It is a fun game, but slightly disappointing.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #81 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:41 »

Precisely! The story is obviously lacking.. in that it seems as if shit just happens and happens and then DANG and it's over. I'm glad that Revenant Wings will be coming out, because if rumour has it, it's going to have a more character-oriented story.
Hate, rain on me

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #82 on: 13 Dec 2006, 06:09 »

What the hell is Revenant Wings? Is that a separate game, or sort of like a X-II thing?

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #83 on: 13 Dec 2006, 21:08 »

It's a sequel to XII, and it will released for the Nintendo DS.
Hate, rain on me

Merkava

« Reply #84 on: 29 Dec 2006, 09:28 »

And you still play as Vaan.

*sigh*

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #85 on: 29 Dec 2006, 09:43 »

My roommate got FFXII yesterday, and he started playing around 8:00 PM that night. He was still playing when I went to bed around midnight. When I got up at 4:00 AM to take a leak, he was *still* playing. He finally went to sleep at 7:00 AM.

And he's back playing now. I take it it's a good game. I'd try it out, if I could get near it!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #86 on: 29 Dec 2006, 11:28 »

Now that I've finished Twilight Princess, I've started getting back into this game. I'm going to go back and actually do some hunts (which I've ignored pretty much the entire time so far) and get some of the optional Espers. I tried to fight Adrammelech, but he kicked my ass. I've levelled some since then though and gotten everyone to their third Quickening, so I'm about to go back and try again.

mts

« Reply #87 on: 29 Dec 2006, 23:40 »

hey any suggestions for gambit setup. 

i tried setting one up for steal but it just ended up making my guy steal without attacking anything

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #88 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:39 »

I broke down and bought this game two days ago, since I was flush with Christmas cash and had finished Final Fantasy III for DS. I do not regret this decision!! FFXII is OMFG good. It's been a long time that a game so completely consumed my mind and time.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #89 on: 30 Dec 2006, 04:11 »

I really want to play this game a lot. I'll see about borrowing it from someone once they're done with it. However the battle system sounds an awful lot like the one from FFXI but with gambits.

oh and p.s. i'm replaying FFVI which i dowloaded for the macbook. such a good game.
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2006, 04:20 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #90 on: 01 Jan 2007, 08:01 »

I tried to go fight one of the other optional espers (Zalera), and that one kicked my ass too. The FAQs I can find say level 40 would be high enough, but I can't stop dying. This fucker casts instant death every 20 seconds, and I spend so much time using Phoenix Downs I can't deal any goddamn damage. I guess I should progress further in the story and unlock better spells before trying this again.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #91 on: 01 Jan 2007, 08:36 »

For Zalera: Haste + Reflect/ga + spam Curaga/ja = win.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #92 on: 01 Jan 2007, 08:59 »

Like I said, I don't have Curaja or Reflectga yet, because I can't buy them. I'm in Archades, should I progress further before even trying to fight these Espers yet?

At least I bought all the Monographs available to me in the time I wasted trying to do this.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #93 on: 01 Jan 2007, 10:55 »

Oh, sorry, missed that. You might be able to pull it off with Curaga, but I was past Archades before I even got the Barheim key. I'd probably wait and do it later. Espers aren't really very practical, anyway.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #94 on: 01 Jan 2007, 21:43 »

This is the first game since...Final Fantasy VI where I said to myself "I'm too far in to start over, but once I beat the game I'm going to start a new game and obsessively get everything in this game!!" And I will, too, once I play Valkyrie Profile 2.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #95 on: 03 Jan 2007, 05:48 »

this is the only FF game besides X where i know that when i beat it, i wont start a new game and get everything in the game. i love this game to death but the thought of playing through it again makes me nauseous.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

mts

« Reply #96 on: 05 Jan 2007, 23:55 »

ok having some frustratin here.

how/when do you get to cross the river in the estersand , the one where the ferry is being held up?

i can't really find anything on it

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #97 on: 06 Jan 2007, 00:25 »

I'm 99% sure you just have to get farther into the game. Storywise, I mean.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #98 on: 06 Jan 2007, 07:44 »

Not so! There's a whole little sidequest you have to do (and one right after will net you the Barheim Passage Key so you can go in the side way). Go to http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/final_fantasy_xii_e.txt, and do a text search for [NBV1].

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #99 on: 06 Jan 2007, 20:28 »

Oh. I just assumed, since I spent a good twenty minutes trying to get across that same ferry ride before giving up and thinking I just had to progress the plot.

Anyway, I am loving this game, though I'm pretty sure I'm underleveled. I've been grinding in the Estersand to rack up fucktons of LPs with little effort, so now I'm going to go back to Bhujerba and try to grind in the Mines where, I think, the skeletons keep respawning in that one area that's just a narrow path with two other paths on each side. I'm supposed to be going to the Garif village right now, but the Ozmone plains were handing my ass back to me (as well as the fucking Storm Elementals in the flooded Giza Plains...I know you aren't supposed to be able to kill them yet, but since they attack me everytime I walk by, it's either run or die).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up