THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Plug Yr Comic  (Read 335370 times)

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
Re: My comic
« Reply #350 on: 14 Mar 2009, 17:20 »

Ok, I know this may look awkward as this is only my second post....but I just started a comic strip thingy...today and I was looking for some feedback.
Oh and remember this first comic is only tester. Second one will have colour and be devoid of awful awful jokes.

I'd Say this,

A) Don't diss your comic because you don't want people to see it and think it's bad because it's your first shot at the strip. It doesn't look awful to me.
B) If you ARE going to color it and make better jokes, DO IT. I think that if you think you're funny, then you should be it and do your best.

Strip one can change to something better by strip five, so keep doing it. I posted my comic www.grumpycomics.com and I think that I've improved a lot, but I wish I stood by my comic before. I think that if you try to be positve about it, you will get feed back. Seriously, Keep at it and it will show if you work hard.

So, does anyone have any comments for me too? :{D

:{D

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
Re: Plug Yr Comic
« Reply #351 on: 14 Mar 2009, 20:09 »

Here's one: you don't need to quote something written right above your own post. Uh, also. I guess constructive criticism is warranted?

Some Assembly Required: cute overall story. Some of the jokes just made me groan, but at least they garnered a response. And the art has definitely improved since your first strip. One thing that bothered me in the first few strips was how you drew a three-quarter profile face. Basically, it looked awkward and wrong. BUT. You seem to have gotten it down now. Only other thing I can think of is maybe change your coloring/inking style? For some reason the entire comic seems 'fuzzy' to me. I mean, not clear or crisp.

Abstract Thinking: change the layout and colors of your website! It's incredibly jarring, unappealing, and does not seem to be very user-friendly. And I agree with what joesoar said. If you keep insisting that your comic sucks, no one will want to read it. Second. Get a better inking marker/pen for your artist. Or use a different program to edit everything in. The lines are hella sketchy and blurry, overall just not making a good first impression. Last. Keep at it! My comic SUCKED when I took over drawing from my friend (she had time commitment issues), but I kept at it. Twenty-plus strips later, I can actually say I'm starting to like my own art.
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #352 on: 15 Mar 2009, 03:37 »

Dude who makes Everyday Heroes. Please put the nav buttons at the top AND bottom of your comic. Scrolling past the comic AND comment box just to read the next strip is very impractical.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #353 on: 15 Mar 2009, 13:35 »

Thanks for the critique! I'm trying out a different approach to the coloring, so hopefully it will look better soon.

I realize this is my third post, but I think this thread would be better if you know... people did comment on other people's comic. Otherwise, every like 3 weeks someone puts up a link no one really sees. I got a few more hits from the forums cause I posted something again, and that would be cool for anyone who is trying to wrtie a comic you know?

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #354 on: 15 Mar 2009, 18:11 »

Yeah, I know what you mean. Feel free to critique the hell out of my comic whenever you get the chance.  :lol:

(side note: my friend drew strips 1-6, I took over drawing from 7-onwards)
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

mdoyl44

« Reply #355 on: 16 Mar 2009, 16:05 »

Hey, I'm not a regular poster here, but QC was a big inspiration for me to start a webcomic, and now my friends and I have just launched our site for our comic, "The World Wasn't Meant" (www.worldwasntmeant.com)

It's a photo comic since none of us can particularly draw well, but I'm a firm believer in working around your lack of talent.

Check it out, tell your friends.

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #356 on: 17 Mar 2009, 13:33 »

To Brilliant Erasure,

I'm glad you cleared up the little bit about your friend drawing the first few pages, because it makes sense as to the sudden change. You have definitely improved the art into the past few comics. The backgrounds look much better than before, and so do the characters. I hate to say it, but the only problem I have with the art, is that it bothers me, but I'm not sure why. It's not like a huge bother, there's just something that makes me think it seems weird, (I realize that is the worst comment but it is how I feel)  BUT, the proportions are pretty good, the expressions are pretty good as well, though the faces feel off. I feel like it is the same issue I have with my own comic, being that I just need to keep doing it and get better. You have a solid style though, It's not polished, but you are improving and that's what counts. I think you have an interesting story building up, and as you keep going it will get better.

I'll take another look later though, I have to run and a few min. is never great for a real look at a comic.

To Jeans,

I think individual threads would work, but this thread never falls down to never land. It stays up top and so people who posted a while back (like me) have a better chance at the thread being seen again. I don't know though, I don't spend a huge amount of time on forums really, so I lack in the rules of such things.

lavarith

« Reply #357 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:57 »

Hey all. Thought it was about time I started posting my comic here since I'm at strip 43.  Wanted to wait till I knew I'd keep it going.  I try to keep to a rather simple design, but sometimes that goes crazy.  Definitely let me know what you think though. I'm always up for criticism.

http://www.nosark.com

Faith, Love, and Science.

Kinewa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #358 on: 31 Mar 2009, 19:42 »

Mdoyl, I love that you made a photo comic! Looks like you guys must have fun making them :)

P-Frank

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #359 on: 04 Apr 2009, 03:08 »

I do a comic called I <3 Tapes. It is about a band called Radical Mosque who make MUSIC! It is done in Flash and is updated 3 times a week. I hope you like it!

mdoyl44

« Reply #360 on: 15 Apr 2009, 08:50 »

Mdoyl, I love that you made a photo comic! Looks like you guys must have fun making them :)
Definitely!  The best part is making sure our mouths look right for the text. I want to record a photo shoot sometime.  Half the time we'll just keep saying the lines over and over, other times we'll start criticizing the others lines and go off on a tangent, but we're all talking at the same time... it's entertaining to say the least.

gimmemoreginge

« Reply #361 on: 22 Apr 2009, 08:43 »

Not mine but I'm his self appointed pimp   :evil:

Simple, random but also very funny.

http://www.this-noise.co.nr/

Gilead

« Reply #362 on: 25 Apr 2009, 11:01 »

I do diary comics, you should read them, or else.

http://booksbeersballpoints.blogspot.com/

ohwellwhatever

• Plantmonster
  • proud to be an underachiever
    • my illustrations and comics
« Reply #363 on: 25 Apr 2009, 11:07 »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #364 on: 30 Apr 2009, 04:33 »

Gilead your comics and art are so good except they look like ass from scanning

Basically you either need to be hell of Threshold 128ing your scans or you need a proper drawing tablet

I mean your art is probably better than mine but dude your scans are terrible
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #365 on: 30 Apr 2009, 04:34 »

P-Frank I think it is weird that you are promoting your current comics on these forums considering your last comic totally hated on mine.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

P-Frank

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #366 on: 02 May 2009, 06:11 »

P-Frank I think it is weird that you are promoting your current comics on these forums considering your last comic totally hated on mine.

I was young, I was naive, I was drunk, I'll buy you an icecream cone.

P.S: If you are at the Dayfree booth at Comic Con, we are totally next to each other! High five?

P-Frank

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #367 on: 02 May 2009, 07:26 »

And I do feel like a jerk about making that old shitty comic. I'll leave it at that. Sorry.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #368 on: 02 May 2009, 13:14 »

well okay then!

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #369 on: 02 May 2009, 21:58 »

http://www.eastyorkcity.com/

Updates Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Only two comics up so far, but I'm excited about the future.

EDIT: THAT was a confusing typo.  :-P
« Last Edit: 03 May 2009, 07:36 by Norton Quintessential »
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #370 on: 03 May 2009, 14:02 »

Okay, first of all, Sorry to Brilliant Eraser, I typo'd all over your name. Whoops. Anyway, I think some of your recent backgrounds look too... close to the characters. Maybe try making the background outlines smaller, compared to the characters' outlines. Since the characters tend to have thin outlines, and then the background outlines are huge in comparison.

P-Frank - I think the art in your comics is pretty cool, but I can't get into the story or anything. That's nothing against you, that's probably just me personally, but I really so like the art. The colors seem to blend together nicely, almost making me wish the outlines were more defined. It really seems like there is a solid comic there though.

Gilead- I agree with Jeph, you have a cool style, and the comics are pretty funny, but it looks like you stood over the pictures with a digital camera and hoped for the best. Even just playing with the color levels in photoshop or a photo editing program would do wonders for it. (I think Gimp is the free-photoshop right?).

Ohwellwhatever - All I can say is that I really like your style. Its good.

Norton Quintessential - I can't say much about your comic yet, at least until you put some more up. I haven't been a big fan of photo comics, but I have seen some that make me chuckle. Once you put more up, then I think that I could give you more feedback.

Jeph- I have to say, that for some reason, Dora's hair doesn't feel like its attached. I like the style, but at least in the last page, I feel like it looks similar to somebody cutting out hairstyles and pasting them over pictures of themselves. Does that make sense? Also, the only problem I have with your site is the news. After all this time I still miss the news being next to the comic, up on the top.

That's all I have to say for this. Man I seem kinda high on my horse... I just think its good for people to critique others every once in a while, and with that I'm always happy for feedback! :{D <--- Mustache smiley

67thavenue

« Reply #371 on: 04 May 2009, 16:16 »

I plugged me comic here about... 2.5 years ago.  Hokey smokes!  Anyway, I've since started to colour said comic, and everyone says it's LIKE a new comic, so I thought I'd plug away again.  PLUG PLUg PLug Plug plug.

My current story is about dodgeball.

Last week I homaged Matrix.

This week I mentioned Conker's Bad Fur Day in my comments section.

Chanx for readin!

www.67thavenue.com

-Jamie

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #372 on: 13 May 2009, 15:35 »

67thavenue: Your comic looks goo enough to put into print. I like the art style, and you seem to have some good characters, (I haven't had the chance to fully read the comic, but I'm out of school now so I'll have plenty of time). I just wanted to say, you have a crap-ton of ads on the bottom of your webpage that aren't filled up. I don't know if they were filled, or normally are, but if they aren't, you could try deleting like say, half of them, and it would look a lil' nicer without all of the "your ad here" buttons, and maybe you'd be making some money off of them instead of all the free ones. Just an idea, but seriously, your comic looks good and I look forward to reading it.

PrickOfDestiny

• Plantmonster
  • Cunctum oppidum sunt pertinet nobis.
    • Zeus and Sons
« Reply #373 on: 14 May 2009, 10:24 »

"i herd u liek greke mthys"

I've finally launched my comic, Zeus & Sons, a comical rendition of Greek myths set in our times - no togas allowed! Will most probably have somewhat NSFW bits later on, you know how the ancients were, right?
I draw it on a tablet, with a European, somewhat cartoony style and simple shading; you can have an artwork sample here.

Since it's brand new, the archive has a grand total of one page, but as I'll start telling the different legends of ancient Greece, it'll fill up regularly.
You know, "prick" has a very innocent meaning too.
Zeus and Sons, my comic. Released!

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #374 on: 03 Jun 2009, 15:48 »

Me and my girlfriend have started a blog that isn't so much a comic but a collection of pictures. She does ALL the art, but near enough all the ideas come out of my imagination. We've only done this one so far but they don't take too long to do so we're hoping to do a new one near enough every day. Anyway, here is the first one.

She draws them in black fineliner then scans them into photoshop and colours them there. We've decided to leave the colouring fairly rough because we feel it adds a sense of innocence and childishness to the art. And we will be moving to plain paper rather than lined when I get a chance to go into town and buy her a pad. Any suggestions or criticisms are very welcome, and if you want to follow us on blogger then click

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #375 on: 03 Jun 2009, 22:33 »

blanktom and PrickofDestiny:

get some more stuff to look at!! :)

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #376 on: 04 Jun 2009, 01:43 »

We're working on it!! After today I have like 5 days of work and Vicky has her last day of assessments and presentations today, so may spend Friday relaxing then get some more stuff up! Although she has now posted her thoughts on me. All we discussed is the few things we felt should be in there and went off and wrote our own.

evandiaz

« Reply #377 on: 04 Jun 2009, 08:35 »

MusingsComic.com

Musings on Life and Animation Updates Monday-Friday, sweet!

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #378 on: 04 Jun 2009, 11:28 »

We're working on it!! After today I have like 5 days of work and Vicky has her last day of assessments and presentations today, so may spend Friday relaxing then get some more stuff up! Although she has now posted her thoughts on me. All we discussed is the few things we felt should be in there and went off and wrote our own.

I realize that, I know what its like to have everything in the world to do, and something like this would be the last thing on your list.

But from the perspective of me, I feel like I can't read it for long or even comment on it with nothing to see. It's like if I use stumbleupon, I see the one image once, and unless it is more amazing than sliced bread, I tend to forget about it. I go to your blog, yes, it is nice to see a boyfriend/girlfriend comic team, who seem genuinely happy together, and the one comic is interesting perhaps, but, unless I come back to this forum and look for it, chances are I will forget about it in a couple of days when I have to draw a new page for my comic. QC and Dr.McNinja will gladly distract me for an hour, and life will go on.

That's how I feel about one page worth of content. It's my first impression, and whether you are serious about your comic, or you just want to have fun and draw and put it up, it's just another site on the internet. You need readers. You seem to have good ideas, and your girlfriend has some talent it would seem. That's all I can say right now. If there IS talent and there ARE good ideas, it would be a shame to miss out on a lot of viewers because they didn't see enough before they went onto their next distraction.

I know I'm not doing comics professionally, but I do read them a lot. I can at least say what I feel as a reader.  I hate coming off as uppity, as I say just about every time I post, but I like getting feedback, and so therefore I'm gonna give it out too, whether it's nice or not.

PrickOfDestiny

• Plantmonster
    • Zeus and Sons
« Reply #379 on: 04 Jun 2009, 16:31 »

blanktom and PrickofDestiny:

get some more stuff to look at!! :)

Now that my exams are over and that I'm getting closer and closer to my favourite bit of the legends (with more characters), I'll probably get content at a better rate, and better quality lineart as well. Although I'm definitely not a pro comic artist, I'm committed to getting that comic on good tracks and improving it. Not necessarily for the dangling carrot of readership or popularity, but because I enjoy entertaining (and spreading knowledge of a topic I'm interested in).

Glad to know you liked it enough to want more!

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #380 on: 04 Jun 2009, 17:20 »

Joesoar, thats for the comments. You'll be glad to know that she found herself rather bored in a lecture today and managed to pen 3 new drawings which she then later found time to colour, so there's a few new posts! Hopefully, if her creative mood stays the way it is, and my imagination continues distracting me from more practical matters, we'll get a few more done over the weekend.

Its at www.artistviamooch.blogspot.com for anyone who hasn't checked it out yet...

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #381 on: 04 Jun 2009, 17:43 »

Your girlfriend draws nice. I am jealous.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #382 on: 04 Jun 2009, 22:06 »

Now blanktom, that's something to look at! :D

I have to say I sort of dig the lined paper, if you like that innocent, or kiddish look to it, then the line paper really works for me. It sort of reminds me of the early XKCD strips, heck, even just pictures I doodled in math. Really good ideas that you may or may not have the chance to recreate. That sort of work really amuses me. I will be sure to check back soon.

And PrickofDestiny, you have a really good idea going for you and I'd like nothing more than to see you get even more into it and crank some of the good stuff out. There's never a reason you don't have to do your best on something just for fun. It shows when you work hard at something, which you obviously have.

Good luck to us all.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #383 on: 05 Jun 2009, 01:24 »

NEWSFLASH - WE'RE STICKING WITH THE LINED PAPER.

After I suggested getting a pad of plain A4 to Vicky last night, she told me she preferred the lined, and I didn't mind either way. As has been said, it gives the feeling of like idle doodles, great ideas you have in your head that go away if you dont put them down.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #384 on: 09 Jun 2009, 03:22 »

Shameless bump/double post.

We have another post up, and another on the way!

thebochez

« Reply #385 on: 10 Jun 2009, 16:40 »

www.bochez.com/littlepunks

We've actually been around for a few years, but don;t have much time to do many comics...

Let us know what you think of what we have so far!

Also, I just finished the new script for the site and comic management, so let me know what you think about the site and its workings as well!

PrickOfDestiny

• Plantmonster
    • Zeus and Sons
« Reply #386 on: 18 Jun 2009, 05:29 »

Zeus & Sons now has an actual domain name.

http://www.zeusandsons.com

pyroboarder69

« Reply #387 on: 26 Jun 2009, 16:22 »

Guess I might as well join in.

http://www.bandmatescomic.com

Only a few strips up so far, but I certainly plan on sticking around a while.

indecisive

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #388 on: 26 Jun 2009, 21:52 »

Hey, folks. I do a comic called Made Up. Its about a guy with no friends until his childhood imaginary friend shows up.

I hope you'll give it a shot. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

(Sorry this is my first post. I suck at forums. I lurk every now and then, but never keep up long enough to be a regular.)

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #389 on: 28 Jun 2009, 10:30 »

Pyroboarder69-

I just wanted to say that it's awesome you wanna do a music comic, and I would like to see you pull it off.

With that, I wanna say two things, one you need to work on your art. I know it sucks if you put a bunch of time in and then somebody says it needs more work. I get that a lot, but I've been trying to get better over time. I try to do warm up drawings, I've gotten a lot better with building characters from the ground up, stick figure to blocky, to details ect. It helps. I like renting anatomy books from the library and just trying to replicate all the drawings from it. ESPECIALLY hands. You're gonna be drawing a lot of hands, you can hide them. Not on a guitar. Hands are the worst, but if you got good hands the rest of your character will benefit from it.

Second, I think you need to try to fix up the site a bit. I didn't like having to figure out how to click on the comic just to read the others, AND not having the news with it. I really like reading the news because it gives some insight or seven the progression of your thought on the comic. Plus the font you use on the big buttons is a bit hard to read. Not terrible, but I think there are other cool fonts to try. Check out Blambot.com, they have some awesome free fonts that an independant artist can use for free!

Good luck to you, I'm excited to see some more stuff when you make it!

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #390 on: 28 Jun 2009, 10:46 »

indecisive-

I think you're doing a pretty good job just putting out comics and making them interesting enough to read. I think you need to push the jokes a little more really. I also think you would benefit from looking at some anatomy books, I think that with  your style, the characters look good, but I think that they could look better, even if it is more catoony. I think that you could also really work on expressions. When your characters get hit or laugh or imagine, they need to look like they're doing what they're doing, The very fist page it looks like walter is excited that somebody is breaking into his house. Or at least happy about it.

Keep it up though.

indecisive

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #391 on: 28 Jun 2009, 12:17 »

joesoar

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm definitely trying to improve my art all around (and think that I am little by little), but its helpful to hear specifics on what needs improvement. Same goes for the writing, really. Thanks again.

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #392 on: 28 Jun 2009, 13:17 »

Of course! There is no way you can do anything like a comic and not get better over time! Some people can grasp art or writing easier than others, but for the most part it is just practice and working hard. Getting feedback is the best way to know your weaknesses and try to focus on them.

A lot of professional webcomic artists were kind enough to give me feedback when I asked, like John Allison, Chris Hastings, Zach Wiener, they're all super nice and pretty prompt on getting back to me. I think there are a few who I asked who are pretty busy or get so many e-mails they can't always do it, but it doesn't hurt to ask, if they can they can and if not it's ok! Their opinions are also worth a bit more than mine cause they can give feedback based on what they have tried and has been successful for them.

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #393 on: 28 Jun 2009, 14:26 »

Oh yeah, Prickofdestiny, I was gonna say that all that white around your comic is kinda distracting. You have such a gray site that the white pops too much, then takes away from the comic.

John Allison of SGR gave me that tip when my comic had big white boarders too. I was just hoping to pass it on! :{D

PrickOfDestiny

• Plantmonster
    • Zeus and Sons
« Reply #394 on: 29 Jun 2009, 21:17 »

Oh yeah, Prickofdestiny, I was gonna say that all that white around your comic is kinda distracting. You have such a gray site that the white pops too much, then takes away from the comic.

John Allison of SGR gave me that tip when my comic had big white boarders too. I was just hoping to pass it on! :{D
So what do you think I should do? Should I make the margins grey?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #395 on: 29 Jun 2009, 21:52 »

Or change the site design.

Mein Tumblr

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #396 on: 29 Jun 2009, 22:33 »

No, not even! A site design might not be too bad, but I think if you cropped the amount of white around the actual comic that would help a lot.

PrickOfDestiny

• Plantmonster
    • Zeus and Sons
« Reply #397 on: 30 Jun 2009, 09:40 »

No, not even! A site design might not be too bad, but I think if you cropped the amount of white around the actual comic that would help a lot.

Well I guess I *could* make the marble on the background white instead of grey...
(besides, I think I chose that size for the comics because it's the A4 format)

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #398 on: 30 Jun 2009, 17:05 »

What the Norwegian man said.

Mein Tumblr

joesoar

• Not quite a lurker
    • Grumpy Comics
« Reply #399 on: 30 Jun 2009, 17:09 »

Jeans does have a point, there is a lot of stuff on the site, its sort of cramped. Heck, I don't know why I have a twitter on my site cause I get like 7 readers unless I run PW ads.

You really have something interesting going, focus on it. I would really consider fixing those borders, OR changing the site to fit the comic better.

Jeans, I;m glad you're also being honest because you're right, sometimes a devil's advocate is needed to make something the best it can be lol.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up