THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 22:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Games You Just Don't Care About??  (Read 26446 times)

ScrambledGregs

Great Games You Just Don't Care About??
« on: 10 Dec 2006, 06:31 »

I don't think I'm alone on this. Do you ever find yourself reading rave reviews, hearing about how great a game is from other people, and yet you just don't care to play it?? And I don't mean "everybody likes Madden 07, but I don't like football" sort of thing.

I was at EBGames two days ago, and they had a copy of Eternal Darkness for like $9. I know everybody loves this game, and I'm sure it's as good as people say....but I just don't care!! I'm the same way with Katamari Damacy. I'm sure it's fucked up crazy awesuma, but I can't imagine buying the game and playing it. It just doesn't seem like the sort of experience that interests me.

My friend Dave bought Metroid Prime the day it came out, and raved about it. I got maybe 5 or 10 hours in and lost all interest in the game. It's the kind of game, like those above, where I can say "this is a really great game, with plenty of originality and polish, but it just doesn't interest me."

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Great Games You Just Don't Care About??
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2006, 06:34 »

I'm sort of like this about the entire shooter genre in general. I can recognize a quality shooter from a bad one, but I don't really play them. I have Gears of War, and I know it's a great game and all, but in terms of playing time it is getting resoundly beat down by the likes of Zelda because those games just appeal to me more. Hell, I'm even playing Viva Pinata more than Gears of War.

Which is awesome, by the way. Don't be fooled by the appearance.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2006, 08:44 »

pretty much all of the Final Fantasy series and pretty much every sports game ever made except for extreme sports

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2006, 15:30 »

Every FPS ever made.

Also, the GTA games. Its not that I don't see the appeal, its just that I get so fucking bored of them long before I ever finish them.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Narr

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2006, 23:07 »

Zelda: Wind Waker.

I played about two hours, beat the first dungeon, and decided I just didn't give a rat's ass about it.  The sailing is ridiculous.  I don't care how "awesome" the other dungeons are.  I could beat the SNES Zelda game in about 3 hours, and this one barely starts at that point.  Screw that!

GTA, but I also don't think it's a "great game."  So that doesn't count.

Xenosaga Ep. I is one of the few games I wish I could get into but simply haven't found the time and energy to invest in the experience.  That makes me sad.

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2006, 23:22 »

Ico

Shadow of the Colossus

GTA 3 and up (still love the original, but 3 and up fall into the same category as Halo for me)

Halo 1 & 2 (though that may have more to do with me thinking its not that amazing of a game period. good, but should have been scored in the 80's rather than the 98+ it averaged)

Silent Hill (I want to care about this series so badly since i love the genre so much, but i just can't)

The Elder Scrolls I - IV

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2006, 07:48 »

sad faces to ico and SoC.

btw to previous previous poster, nobody can beat zelda link tot he past in 3 hours.
the text in that game alone would take longer than 3 hours to go through.

camelpimp

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2006, 09:27 »

There's hardly any text in Link to the Past.

Anyway, the new Prince of Persia games. I just don't get it.

JJMitchell

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2006, 18:29 »

Guitar Hero.

I don't get it.

Rocinante

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2006, 20:59 »

I just don't like the GTA games, too much garbage and so little good content.

Pretty much all sports games. If I pick up and play a football title, it soon gets old. No matter how much they rave about it or have supposedly "improved" it, after an hour or two it starts to feel like every other football game I've played.  The same holds true for baseball. I like baseball, but I can't play the video games for any serious length of time.

Another series of games that were over-hyped were the Splinter Cell titles. I still hear my friends talk it up, but I don't get it. Granted, the stealth action games aren't really my cup of tea, but from what I've played, Splinter Cell doesn't hold a candle to MGS.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2006, 02:38 »

Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion.

I pre-ordered the game, read all the reviews, was really excited to play it, it sounded awesome...

And I can't stand it. I don't like the premise, I don't like the game play, I don't like any of it. $60 down the drain.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Grawsith

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2006, 16:31 »

Shadow Of The Colosuss... barely touched the first boss before the "meh" set in.
Red Steel... oh noes, the hot japanese chick was stolen away from me. Too fucking bad, rescue yourslef for a change.
SiN Episodes... No. Just... no.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2006, 19:54 »

Big Rigs.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2006, 21:49 »

The entire Zelda series.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2006, 22:34 »

Eve-Online.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2006, 09:25 »

Xenosaga Ep. I is one of the few games I wish I could get into but simply haven't found the time and energy to invest in the experience.  That makes me sad.

Consider yourself lucky. I thought Ep 1 was a great game, and I was pumped when Ep 2 finally came out.  I played it for 2 hours and realized it's one of the worst games I've ever played. It's so bad it makes Xenogears less enjoyable.

Anyway, for me, the game I don't "get" is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.  The sequel is amazing (or, it would have been had they bothered to fix the 9073785 bugs), but the first one is just mediocre.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #16 on: 14 Dec 2006, 11:55 »

The entire Zelda series.
TAKE IT BACK!!!

Narr

« Reply #17 on: 14 Dec 2006, 13:15 »

Consider yourself lucky. I thought Ep 1 was a great game, and I was pumped when Ep 2 finally came out.  I played it for 2 hours and realized it's one of the worst games I've ever played. It's so bad it makes Xenogears less enjoyable.

Anyway, for me, the game I don't "get" is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.  The sequel is amazing (or, it would have been had they bothered to fix the 9073785 bugs), but the first one is just mediocre.
Bah.  KotOR was awesome.  The sequel was a turd.

Rocinante

« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2006, 22:19 »

ackblom12

« Reply #19 on: 14 Dec 2006, 23:22 »

Bah.  KotOR was awesome.  The sequel was a turd.

Honestly, i thought the only thing to keep the sequel from being better than the first in every manner was the fact that Lucasarts pushed it out before the game's ending was finished. Otherwise, it was an improvement in every respect.

BigD

« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2006, 03:20 »

I'd have to vote for GTA3 as well.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2006, 07:26 »

Shit, I love KOTOR1. I've played it a ton of times, and that's saying a lot, since I rarely finish games, let alone play them more than once. The only thing that's kept me from getting the second one is people complaining about bugs, and waiting for it to drop to $20.

The Hammered

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2006, 15:52 »

I agree with the parts about shooters.

Zelda: A Link to the Past. I love the original and I love Ocarina of Time, but I don't care much for Link to the Past, even though it's almost universally considered the best of the series.

Regarding Shadow of the Colossus, I was rather disappointed with it. There were some really great things in it, but the colossus fights get very monotonous, particularly in the middle of the game, and it's extremely predictable and formulaic. The first few fights are great, the world is amazing, and the last colossus is spectacular (and the story, when it progresses, is interesting), but overall it gets rather tedious. If there were fewer colossi, more things in between, and the whole thing weren't so predictable, it would have been a great game. As it is, it seems to me that it had great potential, and some brilliant moments, but as a whole it was far too weak. Especially after Ico, which I loved all the way through.

doki

« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2006, 16:07 »

*puts on flame proof suit*

i hate Metal gear solid

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2006, 16:09 »

I just noticed that I've read this thread multiple times and have never said Ico.

So I will say Ico. I recognize it as an atmospheric work of art.

I also recognize it as frustrating and boring. MEH!

I also didn't get the GTA series until I played Vice City. Tommy Vercetti quickly became one of my favorite characters and I began to recognize the games for what they were: a satire. Rockstar's twisted humor and perspective on American society made flesh in a series that rejuvenated the idea of sandbox gaming.

Now I approve, though the gameplay kinda sucks still.

I haven't enjoyed any MGS game since the first. Which adds to my PS3 mehness.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #25 on: 18 Dec 2006, 16:30 »

There really isn't a reason to buy a next gen system that I've seen.

The big draw games (for me anyways) are Dead Rising and Gears of War. Dead Rising is a novel concept, but it gets repetitive fast. Gears of War I can simulate on my PC by playing Halo with half the screen covered in tape. 3rd person shooter? Worst Idea Ever.

I'll break down and buy a PS3 IF Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection gets ported. Until then, Sony can take their overpriced console and forcibly insert it into their anus.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #26 on: 18 Dec 2006, 20:29 »

3rd person shooter? Worst Idea Ever.

Haven't you ever played Resident Evil 4??

ackblom12

« Reply #27 on: 18 Dec 2006, 22:43 »

3rd person shooter? Worst Idea Ever.

You've never played Resident Evil 4.

Fixed

Grawsith

« Reply #28 on: 19 Dec 2006, 02:57 »

RE4 is a 2nd person shooter.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 19 Dec 2006, 04:40 »

"2nd person shooter"?

I don't think that means what you think it means.

It's a 3rd person shooter from a close, nearly 1st person angle.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #30 on: 19 Dec 2006, 07:13 »

If you are not seeing the game from the eyes of the character, it is third person. Don't give me this 2nd person crap.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #31 on: 19 Dec 2006, 07:50 »

Second person shooters would be a game where you play from the perspective of the person being shot at?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #32 on: 19 Dec 2006, 08:16 »

I can see the appeal of Gears of War. I understand why other people play it. But it is so damn repetitive in my eyes, as with most other cover-based games.

-Start Level
-Hide behind some object, shoot bad guys who are also hiding behind objects
-Move to a new object, shoot new bad guys hiding behind new objects
-Start New Level
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #33 on: 19 Dec 2006, 10:21 »

I hate all Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii games because I don't own the systems.

not that I'm jealous or anything...
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2006, 10:22 »

Great Topics You Just Dont Care About!!
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 19 Dec 2006, 10:23 »

Second person shooters would be a game where you play from the perspective of the person being shot at?

Yes. That is an SPS.

There's very few games I can name where this is the case. I think one of the Sly Cooper games had a boss like that. Turtles in Time for the arcade/SNES had a boss like that.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

The Hammered

« Reply #36 on: 19 Dec 2006, 10:33 »

I suspect that would make me very dizzy. I'll stick with first and third.

Dimsey

« Reply #37 on: 19 Dec 2006, 10:51 »

Only games that come to mind for me are the Final Fantasy series.
I stopped giving a crap about em ages ago.
Am at the point where I'm just wondering when it'll actually be 'Final'.

Marneus90

• Plantmonster
  • I found Jesus. He was in the kitchen.
« Reply #38 on: 19 Dec 2006, 16:38 »

FF7. I played it, but honestly couldn't see what was awesome about it. Gave up before even seeing sephiroth.
98% of people believe the statistics in people's signatures. If you're one of the 2% who dont, copy and paste this into your sig.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #39 on: 19 Dec 2006, 17:08 »

Red Steel

you know, i don't think that anyone heralded this as a great game. i never play it... thinking about selling it back to gamestop or something.

i'm a huge fan of the zelda series... but i'm playing through a link to the past right now and i just don't get it. how is this thought to be the best one of the series so far? seriously... someone please explain to me how link to the past is better than ocarina of time.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Marneus90

• Plantmonster
  • I found Jesus. He was in the kitchen.
« Reply #40 on: 19 Dec 2006, 19:21 »

seriously... someone please explain to me how link to the past is better than ocarina of time.

Cant be done. Simple as that.

The entire Zelda series.

You die today.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2006, 19:25 by Marneus90 »
98% of people believe the statistics in people's signatures. If you're one of the 2% who dont, copy and paste this into your sig.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #41 on: 19 Dec 2006, 21:08 »

Zelda is boring.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 19 Dec 2006, 21:24 »

seriously... someone please explain to me how link to the past is better than ocarina of time.

Easy. LttP did it first. OoT is pretty much completely a ripoff of LttP's plot, except LttP's dungeons were way better, the bosses were better, everything about it was just smoother and more awesome.

Which brings me to another game I don't care about:

OoT. Ooooh. You can ride a horse. Whoopty-frickin'-doo.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

guywithoutsocks

« Reply #43 on: 19 Dec 2006, 21:41 »

FF7. I played it, but honestly couldn't see what was awesome about it. Gave up before even seeing sephiroth.

Here, here, fellow forum neophyte!  I liked the FFs for SNES but just couldn't get into this one.  I didn't care for the materia system, and none of the characters really elicited my sympathy.  Plus, Sephiroth and Cloud looked like they should be working at Hot Topic.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #44 on: 20 Dec 2006, 06:12 »

Easy. LttP did it first. OoT is pretty much completely a ripoff of LttP's plot, except LttP's dungeons were way better, the bosses were better, everything about it was just smoother and more awesome.

I can't even begin to describe how much I disagree with this. Sure, if you reduce Ocarina's plot down to the most basic level, it is also run-around-rescue-the-sages, but there's so much more to it than that. Ocarina actually developed the characters to the point where it told a cohesive story. I mean, finding out Sheik was Zelda in disguise just added so much more to her backstory, and even minor characters like Saria, Impa or Ruto had their details fleshed out in a way that Link to the Past never even approached.

Plus, Jabu-Jabu's Belly alone annihilates every dungeon in Link to the Past by comparison. Ocarina was just a perfect translation of the series into 3-D, and that just allowed for much deeper gameplay and dungeon design.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #45 on: 20 Dec 2006, 11:05 »

Plus I can beat OoT. I always get to a point in the Dark World where LttP decides to just cloud its intentions and fuck with me for a few hours, so I never actually completed it. On the other hand, I didn't even own OoT but I played it enough at a friend's house (N64 marathons for the win) to beat it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #46 on: 20 Dec 2006, 21:15 »

Zelda is boring.

Says the poster with the Pikachu avatar. Gee, what's more boring...a poorly disguised dungeon crawler with a ridiculous number of characters you have to 'capture', or an action/adventure RPG that has some of the most imaginative gameplay the world has ever seen?? Tough call.

SomeOtherGuy

• Plantmonster
  • Internet Prey
« Reply #47 on: 21 Dec 2006, 12:25 »

are we talking about the same link to the past, here? i'm so bored with it that i barely ever play it.

i agree with you, storm ^_^

p.s. this is actually toastess/yelley under the boy's name
You Know I Am Your Hero

ackblom12

« Reply #48 on: 21 Dec 2006, 21:44 »

Ok, Your opinion of not really enjoying OoT I can accept merely due to differences of opinion... but did you play the same LttP as I did? Cause that makes no sense, at all.

If you could, please explain how OoT is a complete ripoff of Lttp story wise.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #49 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:46 »

You're awakened by an uncle/friend to save someone, but fail. Along the way you learn of a plot against the world and have to go collect three items to get the Master Sword and stop the evil, but it goes horribly wrong and you're transported to the dark world/future. There you have to find 7 princesses/sages to open the entrance to Ganon's Castle and have an epic showdown with him to keep him from getting control of the Triforce forever.

Twilight Princess also rips off this plot pretty hard.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up