THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Games You Just Don't Care About??  (Read 26012 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Re: Great Games You Just Don't Care About??
« Reply #50 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:10 »

pretty much all the Final Fantasy stuff is boring repetitive cutesy anime shit.

Resident Evil 4 is unplayable scripted tripe.  I've covered this at length previously, but the controls are clunky and awful, the gameplay is contrived and unrealistic and you're very very limited in what you can do.

Pro Evo Soccer / Winning 11 is graphically inferior with clunky controls and a cut-back club list.  I don't understand why people prefer it over FIFA, except for the indie-style "at least it's not made by EA" excuse.

ackblom12

« Reply #51 on: 22 Dec 2006, 03:46 »

You're awakened by an uncle/friend to save someone, but fail. Along the way you learn of a plot against the world and have to go collect three items to get the Master Sword and stop the evil, but it goes horribly wrong and you're transported to the dark world/future. There you have to find 7 princesses/sages to open the entrance to Ganon's Castle and have an epic showdown with him to keep him from getting control of the Triforce forever.

Twilight Princess also rips off this plot pretty hard.

You just described the base story in pretty much anything fantasy based... ever.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #52 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:54 »

No, just every goddamned Zelda game, with few exceptions.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #53 on: 22 Dec 2006, 11:01 »

so what if all the zelda games have basically the same storyline? it's one that works and that keeps people interested. aside from you, at least.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #54 on: 22 Dec 2006, 12:13 »

Yeah, well.

According to Jim keeps people interested too. I don't like people.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #55 on: 23 Dec 2006, 04:04 »

unrealistic

I haven't played RE4 but I am presuming setting limitations on realism for a game about zombies is not, well, realistic.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #56 on: 25 Dec 2006, 20:11 »

Halo and Halo 2. I mean, yeah, they're good games. I just don't get all the raving about it. I dunno, maybe it's just because I suck noodles at console shooters.

Also, Final Fantasy, for the above reasons. Yeah, they're kinda fun, but I don't get why there's practically a cult following for them. Actually, pretty much every Final Fantasy-type RPG. Yeah, they're not half bad, but they're not the OMGWTFBBQGOOD! games that everybody calls them, IMO.

Also, Kingdom Hearts. I'm sure it's a perfectly good game, but the concept of a game that combines both Final Fantasy and Disney characters just gives me a mental syntax error. Does not compute or some shit.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #57 on: 29 Dec 2006, 21:02 »

Halo and Halo 2.

easily, without a doubt, the most over rated games in the history of the industry. and no that's not hyperbole. and no, i don't just suck at them either. i've played both extensivly, beating both single player games and participating in multiple bouts of multiplayer, lans, and xbox live as well. and my conclusion remains consistent. these games are good at best. plot wise they're nothing special. graphics wise they're bested by numerous other titles, even titles released at the same time as, or before, them. the gameplay is far from original: run around with kinda cool guns, shoot aliens, repeat. even the level design is far from spectacular. in fact, the levels are at times laughably linear and unimpressive. i have never understood the attention these games garner and i doubt i ever will. for me, they are major dissapointments and come no where near living up to the hype.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #58 on: 29 Dec 2006, 23:18 »

Word. ^

In fact- fuckin' paragraph.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ackblom12

« Reply #59 on: 30 Dec 2006, 01:11 »

100% agree with you Wombat

Grawsith

« Reply #60 on: 30 Dec 2006, 03:59 »

At least we can laugh our asses off at all the fanboys who line up in the cold to buy Halo 3 on launch day.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #61 on: 30 Dec 2006, 21:49 »

All Metal Gear Solid games. I just don't get it.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #62 on: 31 Dec 2006, 00:26 »

As I've admitted in Gabbly, I've never actually played a Metal Gear Solid game.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ackblom12

« Reply #63 on: 31 Dec 2006, 05:23 »

Meh, you're not really missing much.

z

« Reply #64 on: 31 Dec 2006, 07:03 »

Meh, you're not really missing much.
Personally, I found Metal Gear Solid rather enjoyable.  MGS2 sucked, though.  Or at least, the little bit I played did.  I haven't played any of the ones after MGS2, but I'm assuming they suck too.

(and now to maintain a veneer of relevancy to the thread's stated topic) As for great games I don't care about...  I know I'm forfeiting my geek cred when I say this, but a lot of so-called "classic" 8-bit-era games leave me cold.  Especially Zelda and Metroid.  I guess maybe if my misspent childhood had been misspent playing them instead of running around outside being a dumb kid I'd feel differently, but, well, it wasn't!  So I don't!
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2006, 07:10 by z »

ackblom12

« Reply #65 on: 31 Dec 2006, 12:50 »

sadly, being a huge fan of the 8-bit era, I can very easily see someone not being able to stand 8-bit games. Especially from franchises that were improved so goddamn much on the SNES.

Everyone owes it to themselves to play games like Crystalis though, that game was like a clone of the first Legend of Zelda gameplay wise... but better in every single way possible.

Oh yeah, every Final Fantasy past VII, and VII almost fall into this category just for the fact that it's one of the most overrated games in history. IV and VI though... absolutely golden. Still regularly bust those out on the PC.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #66 on: 01 Jan 2007, 01:25 »

I consider FFIV vastly overrated.

It's artificially long and has almost nothing unique in it.

FFVI, OTOH, is sexy brilliance.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #67 on: 01 Jan 2007, 02:59 »

Also, World of Warcraft. Same problems as Halo, although I'm better at WoW then Halo. Yeah, it's a good game, maybe even the best MMO I've ever played. Still, it's not the soul-sucking, life-destroying digital monstrosity everybody calls it. Unless you have issues with that sort of thing.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #68 on: 01 Jan 2007, 10:46 »

All Metal Gear Solid games. I just don't get it.

i have to agree as well. i've only played bits and pieces but what i have played didn't impress me or hold my attention. one of my biggest complaints with those games is the controls, which i simply can't get a hang of. it's almost like they're intentionally difficult. also i like my games the most when i'm playing them. when 1/3 of the game is cut scenes, i feel a little ripped off. not that story isn't important and cut scenes are often essential, but it's not neccessary to make them so prominent. i like the premise of these games, but again i don't really get the heaps of hype. for me, they don't compare to the splinter cell, or even the hitman series.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #69 on: 01 Jan 2007, 14:02 »

I am really confused by the "volume of cutscenes" argument. I enjoy RPGs but basically I would say that every RPG I've played and loved was at least 1/3 cutscene, at least up until the token non-linear portion. Add to that the fact that the gameplay in a lot of RPGs is really quite static and you have a confusing double-standard. I can also think of a lot of games which are heavy on cinematics but are really great nevertheless. There are a lot worse potential traits for video games than a consistent dedication to storytelling.

I prefer to judge the game based on the quality of the gameplay experience rather than the quantity, and that includes the cutscenes.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #70 on: 02 Jan 2007, 00:50 »

I am really confused by the "volume of cutscenes" argument. I enjoy RPGs but basically I would say that every RPG I've played and loved was at least 1/3 cutscene, at least up until the token non-linear portion. Add to that the fact that the gameplay in a lot of RPGs is really quite static and you have a confusing double-standard. I can also think of a lot of games which are heavy on cinematics but are really great nevertheless. There are a lot worse potential traits for video games than a consistent dedication to storytelling.

I prefer to judge the game based on the quality of the gameplay experience rather than the quantity, and that includes the cutscenes.

the point about the rpgs applies, as far as i can tell, to traditional console rpgs, not to pc rpgs which, frankly, i consider to have a lot more role playing in them. the FF series, for example, is rather static and linear and the only role playing comes in deciding where to place experience points. for me, this isn't true role playing. the cut scenes only enforce this because it feels more like i'm playing a predetermined character in a predetermined world with predetermined outcomes. for me, this isn't role playing at all and i think 'action adventure' would be a better genre title for such games. but take other rpgs, i mentioned arcanum and i add to that neverwinter nights, the gothic series, the elder scrolls series, and the fallout series, as well as deus ex and vampire: blood lines. for me, these are true rpgs where you determine what happens, you create and inhabit your own character, and the story isn't already completly laid out. there is so much more depth in these games and this depth would certainly be subverted if cut scenes played an integral part, mainly b/c the game would become less personal and more predetermined. i like feeling like i'm in control in rpgs and when i have tons of expostion spoon fed to me independant of my actions it's a little jarring. sure there are games with lots of cut scenes that are amazing. no one lives forever actually had tons of very long cut scenes and certainly wasn't a worse game for it. cut scenes have their place and are important, but i don't really find them neccessary en masse in a lot of games. story is very important and i won't not play a game b/c of the volume of cut scenes but sometimes they're over done to the point of compromising the game in some way.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #71 on: 02 Jan 2007, 04:48 »

Well I don't know. Half-Life 2 had literally zero cut-scenes because you were always in control of your movements but damned if it wasn't tremendously linear. I think if you aren't playing Metal Gear Solid because you feel there are too many cutscenes then you're just hurting yourself.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #72 on: 02 Jan 2007, 05:09 »

Well I don't know. Half-Life 2 had literally zero cut-scenes because you were always in control of your movements but damned if it wasn't tremendously linear. I think if you aren't playing Metal Gear Solid because you feel there are too many cutscenes then you're just hurting yourself.

oh i understand that and that certainly isn't my main reason for not playing the games for that would be foolish. the truth is i have played them, or tried to, and for some reason they simply didn't hold my attention like i was hoping they would. i again site splinter cell, for the stealth gameplay dynamic is similar in both games, as a game in a similar vein that i found immersive and thoroughly enjoyable, so it's not just the more cathartic and deliberate gameplay i don't like. in fact, in splinter cell if i set off any alarms i tend to reload from my last save since i like being as stealthy, and therefore that usually means as slow, as possible. same with the hitman games. there's just something about mgs that i can't get in to. the controls certainly play a part but in general i just don't find the games to be all that much fun. idk, i'm sure i'm just missing something.

Hollow Press (my blog)

nihilist

« Reply #73 on: 03 Jan 2007, 19:40 »

Every generic RTS that is released these days.  They are so damn boring and predictable.  Warhammer 40k - Dawn of War: Dark Crusade most certainly is the pinnacle of this.  Whee more races.  Whoop-d-shit.  (Never mind the stupidly long title.)

Flying Gremlin

« Reply #74 on: 04 Jan 2007, 14:56 »

Dance Dance Revolution. I mean, if I want to look bad at dancing, I would get drunk at a club.

Zelda WindWaker. Stupid sailing...

Doom 3. Overhyped. Never even tore open the packaging on one of the games. It's not the Doom I grew up with.

Half-Life 1 or 2. Just... don't care.

Hewittv18

« Reply #75 on: 05 Jan 2007, 12:37 »

Halo 1 and 2. What exactly was innovative about this shooter?

hoax

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 13 Jan 2007, 20:25 »

Also, Kingdom Hearts. I'm sure it's a perfectly good game, but the concept of a game that combines both Final Fantasy and Disney characters just gives me a mental syntax error. Does not compute or some shit.

I agree completely. I don't consider myself a "gamer," but I do buy games pretty selectively to what I know I'll like. For some reason, I listened to everyone who said this was a great game and shelled out the $50 for it and regretted it a few hours into the game. The mix of Disney and FF characters made for what I thought was an awkward (at best) story. I also just didn't like the look of it--I get that it's supposed to be cartoony but I just found the design of the main characters (not the cameos) obnoxious. The controls, battle, etc. were pretty good (I thought), but it wasn't enough for me to forget about all the things that annoyed me.
"Don't worry, I don't have low self-esteem.  It's a mistake.  I have low esteem for everyone else."
--Daria Morgendorffer

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #77 on: 15 Jan 2007, 01:09 »

Halo 1 and 2. What exactly was innovative about this shooter?

It broke new ground in mediocre shooters selling astoundingly well.

8ilbo

« Reply #78 on: 15 Jan 2007, 01:16 »

astute comment sir...I could literally feel the CTRL C CTRL V style of mapmapking oozing from the low res textured walls

Bad Bird

« Reply #79 on: 15 Jan 2007, 03:11 »

World of fucking Warcraft. The most BORING thing I've ever played. You'd have to pay ME to get me to play.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #80 on: 15 Jan 2007, 05:13 »

::gets out his wallet::

nihilist

« Reply #81 on: 18 Jan 2007, 06:43 »

Does that work?  I can certainly use more the cash to pay my EVE subscription(s).

Locke

« Reply #82 on: 18 Jan 2007, 13:23 »

The Halo games are overrated, very good, but they really are bigger than themselves at this point.  However they aren't the most overrated games ever.  That title goes to Final Fantasy VII.  Gameplay is alright, graphics were good for their time (not great), story is weak as far as FF games go, the ending is a terrible anticlimax, and if it weren't for the marketing blitz behind it, it wouldn't be as highly regarded.

All the FF games for the PS1 qualify for great games I don't care for.  10 and 12 on the PS2 were great improvements, but still not up to Final Fantasy 6 in my opinion.

World of Warcraft I don't care for, as it is another game that's grown bigger than itself.  Its a good MMO, but I don't like MMOs.  MMOs destroy their surrounding fiction by bringing a bunch of idiots in to populate the world.  You can't have a real story with 8 million people playing, its too unwieldy.  You can either have the players all be heroes instrumental in the storyline which defeats the illusion, a'la Guild Wars, or you can have the players be entirely inconsequential, and the storyline goes on despite them, not because of them.  that defeats the whole point of games.

Metal Gear Solid series, I've said it many times, Hideo Kojima missed his calling.  He should be making movies, not games.  And right now the line is pretty blurry, there's that many cutscenes.

ackblom12

« Reply #83 on: 18 Jan 2007, 14:19 »

Majora's Mask. I didn't HATE this game, but jesus christ do I think it's amazingly overrated.

Sadly, also Ocarina of Time. I loved the game, but I thought Wind Waker was leaps and bounds better in practically every way.

8ilbo

« Reply #84 on: 18 Jan 2007, 15:53 »

Does that work?  I can certainly use more the cash to pay my EVE subscription(s).

I've lost many a gamer to Eve  :-P Fortunately I have time nor money to lose myself.

I never liked Eve because it seemed a little too...point and click for me. I'm not saying its not a good game (if you like mining and diplomacy) but a flight sim it aint. I can't remember if it markets itself as such....but yeah...

Grawsith

« Reply #85 on: 18 Jan 2007, 16:06 »

Twilight Princess. I play Wii Sports all the time, but Zelda just fell from memory.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #86 on: 18 Jan 2007, 21:28 »

Reading other posts reminded me...

I fucking HATED Majora's Mask. I don't mind experimenting with the gameplay formula of the Zelda series, but not like this. Arbitraty time limits also ruined Pikmin for me. Bah!!

World of Warcraft. I have a handful of friends who I don't see much of, mostly because they moved to other states, but partially because all they do is sink hours and hours into this game. I have never played it, I shall grant that, but I find little motivation to do so. Despite attempts to gussy-up the interface of the MMORPG genre, it's still a level grind fest no matter how you slice it.

Final Fantasy VIII. I hate hate hate hate hate this game. I hate the gamplay, the story, and the graphics.

Chrono Cross. Take my favorite RPG ever, make a misguided, confusing, convoluted semi-sequel to it with a huge cast of amazingly unappealing characters and voila!! I will vomit.

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #87 on: 19 Jan 2007, 00:07 »

I think World of Warcraft is awful, but not because I hate MMORPGs. In fact, much of my life was spent playing Asheron's Call and Dark Age of Camelot. I think that the problem with WoW is that it's PvP system is really flawed... Then again, I'm spoiled because DAoC has an amazing PvP system and it's hard to come close to that. Also, it's VERY hard to solo in WoW. I've always liked living on the fringe in MMORPGs and it's damn near impossible to solo in WoW. Reward the solo players, please! DAoC has a good system for it, why don't you? I could go on but I'm not going to for the sake of anyone who happens to read this...

nihilist

« Reply #88 on: 19 Jan 2007, 00:23 »

Yeah, I was gonna bring up WoW.  So many people yap on about it, but I just don't care.  Whoops.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #89 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:28 »

I'm also in the "Wow=meh" camp.  I've watched Kokeyjoe play it a few times, and it looks amusing enough, but I couldn't care less about playing it myself.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

kokeyjoe

« Reply #90 on: 19 Jan 2007, 18:42 »

I dunno, everyone around here can say what they want about World of Warcraft (as I've noticed the general consensus is to hate WoW unless you actually play it), but I'll say this much... when my girlfriend lives over an hour away, and my brother lives six or seven states away, it's awesome there's something I can do with both of them when we're apart and that something lets me stab things and kill things in a video game.  That's the main reason I'm still playing it.

nihilist

« Reply #91 on: 19 Jan 2007, 22:26 »

Stock Response #2
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2007, 02:22 by mr. mike »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #92 on: 19 Jan 2007, 23:47 »

WoW is the ultimate "everyone can enjoy it" MMORPG. It's easy enough for casual players, but has a load of shit to do for hardcore players.

My complaint with it is that, because it's so popular, it doesn't take any risks in game design or philosophy. But it's still pretty fun.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #93 on: 20 Jan 2007, 00:44 »

Uh.  Get some webcams and make some remote porn with the gf?

But that still leaves out quality time with my brother.  Pleeease try not to prescribe the same treatment for that situation.

P.S.  Mad webcam pronz coming soon to a thread near you.

P.P.S.  Not really.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #94 on: 20 Jan 2007, 01:43 »

Uh.  Get some webcams and make some remote porn with the gf?

Mike needs to make up a list of stock responses and just post numbers. I propose placing this one at #2 on the list.

nihilist

« Reply #95 on: 20 Jan 2007, 02:22 »

Fun times?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #96 on: 20 Jan 2007, 02:50 »

I thoroughly approve of the course of action you took.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #97 on: 20 Jan 2007, 06:56 »

I am glad I could play some small part in this legendary notion, no matter how small.

BillAdama

« Reply #98 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:15 »

Honestly, Final Fantasy games.

They are very well made, well produced games, but I'm not really into the whole trend of games turning more into interactive movies than games.

I'm also not really into the whole emo main character thing we see with Cloud, Squall, and Tidus.

I don't like a lot of the great games that come out today.  I started playing in the NES era where they didn't try to have a plot, and they didn't have the technology to have impressive graphics.  Games were designed around just the game engine being really fun to play.  You could just pick up a game and play it and have fun, rather than having to sit through a half hour of cutscenes between actually playing it.

For instance, I'm finding Zelda: Twilight Princess frustrating.  The main engine of the game is really fun, and the dungeons are really well made.  But, you hardly ever get to play the dungeons.  You have to do a lot of stupid minigames like jousting, sumo wrestling, goat herding, and bobber fishing and run a lot of little errands.

I'd enjoy the game a lot more if they just threw you in a world and told you generally where to go, as is the case with Zelda:  Link To The Past, rather than trying to have a story and minigames.

I also really enjoy the challenge of games, but with new games there's no learning curve that forces you to get better at the game.  You can generally pick up a game cold and coast through it, maybe dying a few times here and there. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up