THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 12:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Regarding personal preferences  (Read 54383 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Regarding personal preferences
« Reply #100 on: 31 Dec 2006, 22:50 »

No, he wasn't. If I said, "I could take on the mantle of someone wearing an aluminium pot as a hat and declare that everyone not wearing an aluminium pot on their head has godawful taste," I would not be characterizing metalheads. In fact the context of Tommy's quote is discussing the "hipster" archetype (which, if it actually does exist, must exist in much larger towns than mine) to prove a point. He wasn't discussing metalheads at all.

As an aside regarding the "hipster" idea, even people who like the same things here in Regina don't like all the same things, share an identical sense of humour or anything. There is no more overlap between attendees at indie concerts here than there is between people in any other social setting. It is an okay term to describe a very broad group of people but it is, for reasons I've already outlined, a poor piece of nomenclature to prove a point with.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2006, 22:56 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #101 on: 31 Dec 2006, 23:17 »

I was thinking, momentarily, of posting some Sabbat/Skyclad lyrics, maybe Arcturus, Vintersorg, Borknagar, something along those lines. However, it would be pointless, except as an illustration that metal is in no way limited to songs about dungeons and/or dragons. It would be pointless because people who do not subscribe to the aesthetic of metal would probably thing they were shit. What lyrics they would appreciate I don't know, because I don't understand their aesthetic. That's been my point here: that there are fundamental underlying reasons of taste why some people like metal, and some people don't, and why some people like indie, and some people don't,  and so on and so on, and I think it's unrealistic to really expect everyone to be able to embrace every form of music in its totality. I like a few bands which you could probably call indie, for various reasons. I dislike a whole lot more. A good few 'persons of independent extraction' like a bit of metal, and dislike a whole lot more. I'm not saying these categories exist, but, in as far as I have read and studied aesthetics, culture and the history of culture, they seem a reasonable explanation for peoples violently differening taste. If you were able to comprehend these two differing worldviews completely, and I ain't saying it's not possible (though I think it's hard, because I don't think most people even think about the fact they might possess these worldviews), then you're a better man than I, Gunga Din. You probably also could have a pretty damn good career as a music journalist.

Quote from: jcknbl
Let me just clarify what I meant by this since like 4 people have commented on it. I was really unclear. I don't mean that you specifically are losing any kind of argument. But the way you've framed things metal sort of gets labeled outdated and culturally irrelevant. Its fashionable in a lot of circles to explain how your beliefs are consistent with or adapt to post-modernism. The unabashed placing of metal in modern/romantic tradition is interesting in that post-modernism seems to be winning all the intellectual battles of the past few decades.

That makes two suppositions that I don't believe to be true:

1: That cultural evolution is a constantly improving linear process
2: That any one cultural framework or movement can claim complete dominance

It seems to me that the legacy of the original romantics still lives on quite strongly in the world. And, at the end of the day, I think Romanticism makes a useful counterpoint to a post-modern outlook. I will make no secret of the fact that I am unashamedly a romantic. Most people involved in metal, especially black and folk metal, by two favourite subgenres, who have any thoughts about the subject would agree. Now, there are a lot of criticisms levelled at romanticism, some of which I think have substance, some of which I think don't. Yes, the romantic worldview, at its most basic level, can be far too simplistic, too black and white. Yes, it can easily be used to glorify war and re-write history, and it has before. However, I don't agree at all with the argument that romanticism is anti-intellectual, anti-enlightenment and even pro-feudal. The mistake is to try and take apart romantic and fantastic fictions to far too high a level. The point of a fantasy story in which the hero is destined to defeat the dark lord and rule the kingdom is not to suggest that some people are born better than others and thus uphold aristocracy, the point is that the 'chosen one' could have been anyone. This is what people who try (I have seen it done quite a few ways) to interpet the Lord of the Rings as 'fascist' miss: the true heroes are the ordinary, unassuming hobbits, not the already mighty heroes like Aragorn. Fantastic literature shows characters rising up from nothing to great power, it's not upholding the establishment. But anyway, bit of a digression there, actually.

The point I'm trying to make, and probably not succeeding, is that I think Romanticism still has a definite place in this world, and that place is in the emotional and spiritual realm, which post-modernism cannot, at least for me, inherently satisfy. In fact, to this day movies and so on will incessantly plunder romantic imagery and literary constructs (most notably the pathetic fallacy) in order to give themselves emotional depth. Romanticism is just an outlook on life, an anti-modern one maybe, but then again, I have also never really made any secret of being, at least to some extent, anti-modern. 

Hmmn, I probably haven't made this point too well, someone point out where I've cacked up and I'll try again later.

Quote from: Tommydski
As far as I can tell the point is "my taste in music is better than everyone else's". Over and over ad nauseam.

Please, Tommy, give it a break. That's not what I've said in this thread at all, and you know it. It's maybe what you want me to have said, what you think I've said, or what you want others to think I've said, but I'll assure you, it's not what I've said, overtly or covertly, at any point in this discussion. You need to be a bit more rational. Why don't you try and isolate why you are so angry? :)
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #102 on: 01 Jan 2007, 00:11 »

I thought post-modernism had to do with an absorption and recognition of those previously-existing artistic movements like romanticism and an understanding that they have their place. The rejection of those movements was modernism.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #103 on: 01 Jan 2007, 02:48 »

Actually, I'll admit that they aren't particularly good lyrics. But I was actually looking that song up at the time, and it was topically relevant, so whatever!

I don't really feel the need to defend myself on that particular topic. I like Nevermore a lot. Nothing Tommy or anyone else says is going to change that.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #104 on: 01 Jan 2007, 06:07 »

FROM THE HAUNTED LOINS
OF THE FEVER WITCH
THE DEMONS LARVAE SPRANG!!

IN A MIGHTY EARTHEN CROCK
A LORD WAS BOILED WITH HIS BEEF
HIS BLOATED EYES POPPED FROM HIS HEAD
AND WERE STOLEN BY A THIEF

Honestly, I find most lyrics cheesy, its pretty much the least important part of the music for me. 
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #105 on: 01 Jan 2007, 10:30 »

No, he wasn't.

I stand corrected. Apologies.

Scytale

« Reply #106 on: 01 Jan 2007, 10:38 »

Lyrics mean different things to different people

When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning.

Poetry or  complete and utter garbage, I've heard people argue both ways.

People listen to music for different reasons, which is something a lot of "genre snobs" don't really get.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #107 on: 01 Jan 2007, 13:44 »

I stand corrected. Apologies.

Nah man, it's cool. A large chunk of this thread has been about opposing baseless characterization.

Hat, is the worst thing that can happen to a man who's been boiled the theft of his eyes? Jeez. And you would think the springing would make them tired. Mister, I'm not sure how I feel about that band.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #108 on: 01 Jan 2007, 15:52 »

But if I only listened to something like indie rock, or singer/songwriter stuff, just to name a couple examples, and refused to listen to anything heavy, no one would consider that a bad thing.  So what is it about metal/hardcore/punk that makes it so acceptable in most people's eyes to ignore?  If you're a metalhead who refuses to listen to jazz because you just don't care for it, people call you out on that as though it's a character flaw, but if you listen to jazz and ignore all metal for the same reason, you're somehow cultured and have "sophisticated taste?"  I kind of don't get it?

Let's take another look at this question in particular.

In the earlier answers given it was assumed that neither side (jazz/metal) really tried to appreciate the other. So, this time, assuming both put an equal amount of attempted appreciation into the genres they do not generally like, why, exactly, is listening to predominately heavy music seen as in poorer taste?

This thread is a good showcase of a long-winded version of the answer. It basically shows that the condition of my above question is difficult to complete, even when being debated by generally intelligent people because of their preconceptions of music. I don't mean to lay anyone low or for them to be thought of as lesser, mind you - this isn't a case of superior tastes, but different ones.

Let's take Business Man Joe for example. He listened to heavy music in his adolescent years and since there wasn't an emotional connection to the music he grew out of it. As such, he doesn't seem to regard it as highly as other genres of music that appeal to his tastes more. His preconception is of adolescense - he enjoyed it in his growing years, but not so much anymore, so all signs point to him affiliating it with the foolishness and mistakes of those years.

Thus, Business Man Joe is already biased, whether he believes himself to be or not, against the heavy music of his youth. When he sees a youth listening to said music, all he can reconcile to that is his own experiences of that time and his own potential idiocy and mistakes.

Sounds biased and presumptuous as hell on my part, I know, but I think past experience is talking more than the actual music to those who once listened to it.
But I suppose those who never liked it are a different matter altogether.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #109 on: 01 Jan 2007, 21:52 »

*yawn* Can we just start calling each other names and swearing a lot?? All this semi-intelligent debating is tiring me right out.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #110 on: 02 Jan 2007, 03:43 »

Well, you for one, and quite a few others. It's easier to think of exceptions really. Remember that I'm just talking about people who listen to indie and generally ascribe to its aesthetics, which I think I've explained quite adequately in my posts. Also, you're quite frankly being ridiculous: I'm not saying that I am above the 80% because they're conformist. It's just your egotistic faux-victim complex playing up.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #111 on: 02 Jan 2007, 04:40 »

Since when is it a negative label? Stereotypes aren't necessarily horrible and bad things, they can be quite useful. I would probably approach a pretty blonde girl with lots of makeup and a shirt that says "Hollister" differently than I would approach a dude with a big beard and a Slint shirt. It doesn't mean one is better than the other, just that they probably like different things.

Of course you don't fit exactly into the stereotype - most people don't fit perfectly into one. Just because you aren't consciously subscribing to a certain subculture doesn't mean you aren't part of it.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #112 on: 02 Jan 2007, 04:52 »

Frankly, I don't give a shit if I'm being labelled a hipster or an indie kid. Labels suck, but they only suck if you take offense easily. I don't think hipster or indie are inherently bad labels, just as I don't think goth is an inherently bad label. I used to call one of my ex's goth because I knew it bothered her. It wasn't so much that she wasn't goth, so much as she thought of 'goth' in a negative context and thus took offense.

Do I predominantly listen to the very broad genre we-all-know-but-can't-define of indie?? Yes, I do. But a good chunk of those bands sound nothing alike. And furthermore, I don't just listen to indie. I also like classic rock, and IDM, and jazz, and some jam bands, and some country, etc.

I don't see what good this argument or discussion does any of us. Nobody is going to budge and arguing about this kind of crap on the internet is even more pointless.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #113 on: 02 Jan 2007, 04:57 »

Labelling made parts of my high school experience hell and certainly created an artificial dichotomy between me and people I would have spent time hanging out with. For quite obvious reasons I hate labels as they have left me with surprisingly few long-term friends and a small social circle, meaning I spend an awful lot of nights at home not doing anything with anybody.

Labels aren't positive.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #114 on: 02 Jan 2007, 05:00 »

Shup up fatster.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #115 on: 02 Jan 2007, 05:12 »

When did I say it had anything to do with the ridiculous notion of being cool? It's an aesthetic viewpoint. I'm also not stereotyping, I'm trying to examine if there's a reason some people like one kind of music and some people like another. That is an undertaking that is simply not possible unless you create broad categories under which you can classify people. Literally all I mean by 'hipster' is that someone holds a certain aesthetic viewpoint (the reality centered, post-modern one) and listens to mainly indie music. This, I firmly believe, describes, well, 80% or so of the people on this forum. And why should it not? Questionable Content, despite its science-fiction/fantasy frills, is a comic about realistic relationships, human drama, situational comedy and indie rock music, which would make it only natural that a large proportion of its fanbase would hold these tastes and value judgements. You, Tommy, obviously do, as evinced by pretty much everything you've written on these forums. So do most people here. The idea that I am calling anyone conformist, or labelling anyone with a derogatory stereotype, or saying that the 20% of other random aesthetic types are superior to the 80%, or compromising anyones individuality by describing them in a broad category in an attempt to construct an argument, especially when I've even noted that the category is fluid and only for the purposes of the argument, is frankly absolutely fucking ludicrous, and says far more about peoples own insecurities than anything else. Labels can never describe a person, but we're not trying to describe people, we're trying to account for one small aspect, that is differing musical taste. Please don't think that at any point I have tried to say that hipsters are 'sheep' (in fact, since I've put myself in a similiar grouping quite happily, that would mean that I'd have said that I myself was merely a sheep of a different breed), or that I'm trying to denigrate anyone, despite the attempts of Tommydski's infamously ridiculous arguing tactics (I call it the three M's: Misrepresentation, misdirection, Moral outrage).

Basically, stop being silly, and maybe we could talk about what we were actually discussing here, which I think we were having a very nice little thread here. 

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #116 on: 02 Jan 2007, 05:32 »

I believe that labels aren't intrinsically negative or positive- I also think this is where I disagree with a lot of people.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #117 on: 02 Jan 2007, 05:38 »

Labels are necessary for categorization. Trouble comes when they divide subcultures, and ignorant, sweeping generalizations are made.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #118 on: 02 Jan 2007, 06:20 »

That said wasn't Wu Tang all part of some religion that believed ever black person was a demi-god...

Well, man, Wu-Tang Gods ain't nothin' to fuck with.

Flaming Ostrich, I found that post kind of disappointing, just because of this line:

I just think that there is a rift on this forum between those who predominately listen to indie and those who predominately listen to metal.

If you will read this thread again and look through other, similar threads you will discover that folk like Kai, Jeph, and myself are trying to bridge that rift as well as they can. It is when people are closed-minded about either genre that the rift develops. Rest assured though that the effort to reduce any discord between these two is quite sincere.

Was it disappointing because what I said was true and it depressed you, or because you think I am wrong.  But you can't think I am wrong, because you acknowledged that there is in fact a rift that you and others are trying to bridge. 
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #119 on: 02 Jan 2007, 06:42 »

Fine.  There is a rift between you and Khar. 

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #120 on: 02 Jan 2007, 06:43 »

Was it disappointing because what I said was true and it depressed you, or because you think I am wrong.  But you can't think I am wrong, because you acknowledged that there is in fact a rift that you and others are trying to bridge. 

That rift is imagined. What was disappointing about your post was that it is among the posts that come along every so often that try to force the rift into existence. Talking about this forum like there is some kind of bizarre, insurmountable gap between people who like metal and people who like indie - whatever the fuck that means, because nobody here can define indie - will only serve to propagate persecution complexes on each side and create the separation that way. Having been here two years I can tell you that's the only way it happens. I hate to pull the senority card but I've done it on you twice, which is starting to set off internal alarms. In another thread I paraphrased a quote which says that wisdom involves learning from the experiences of others and in this instance I'm going to have to ask you to trust my experience.

As you can see Bryan and I are friends, Khar and I have a level of mutual respect and other metal fans on this site have a good forum relationship with me. There is no rift. Stop trying to make one.

EDIT: You've been here longer than me which makes your perception of this rift really disappointing.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2007, 06:45 by Johnny C »

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #121 on: 02 Jan 2007, 06:56 »

I haven't really been here that long.  I joined up early, but only posted around 50 times or so. 

You don't want it to be a rift, eh?  There are still those on this board who predominately listen to metal and those who predominately listen to indie.  They tend to disagree with one another about what's good music.  I'm not trying to propagate a rift, and I resent that you think I am.  However, I find it infuriating when Khar will visciously criticize a band like Fugazi or Medications as dull and boring and then promote something as bland as Immortal.  If that's propagating a rift, sorry.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #122 on: 02 Jan 2007, 07:30 »

They tend to disagree with one another about what's good music.

But I bet they ALL disagree with me when I say Motley Crue are pretty good music.

I feel there is a rift between 80s cock-rockers and the hipster-metalhead alliance here. This place fucking sucks! I'm going home!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #123 on: 02 Jan 2007, 07:55 »

You don't want it to be a rift, eh?  There are still those on this board who predominately listen to metal and those who predominately listen to indie.  They tend to disagree with one another about what's good music.  I'm not trying to propagate a rift, and I resent that you think I am.  However, I find it infuriating when Khar will visciously criticize a band like Fugazi or Medications as dull and boring and then promote something as bland as Immortal.  If that's propagating a rift, sorry.

Immortal have axes and once wrote a song called 'Cursed Realms of the Winterdemons'. That's two more awesome things than either of those bands have ever done.

Jooooosh

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #124 on: 02 Jan 2007, 08:37 »

Whether you are metal or indie, there is one thing we can all agree on

Trip hop kicks both of those genres asses!

WOOT PORTISHEAD!! WOOT MASSIVE ATTACK!! :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :evil:
fast-food for thought

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #125 on: 02 Jan 2007, 09:00 »

Immortal have axes and once wrote a song called 'Cursed Realms of the Winterdemons'. That's two more awesome things than either of those bands have ever done.

Incorrect.

@Tommy- You have to admit, you two do argue a lot.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #126 on: 02 Jan 2007, 09:52 »

Can you provide me of a picture of Ian Mackaye holding a giant axe that looks like the bat signal all dressed up like a cross between a troll, an S&M leatherboy and a Satanic hockey player?

No.

Can you point me to a Fugazi video that involves standing on top of a mountain in a flapping trenchcoat noodling on an unplugged guitar whilst CGI lighting bolts blast down in the background?

Of course not, Fugazi didn't make videos because that is somehow anti-commercial.

I've always preferred the approach of, say Coil. Coil made hella awesome videos, but they were basically full of semi-naked men with laurel wreath headgear oiling each other and corpses draped in black veils with diamonds instead of eyes being erotically massaged by faceless things with golden claws instead of fingertips, and Jhonny Balance completely wrecked on acid doing an embarrasing dance in to the river Ganges, and people dying from AIDS and so forth. Basically what I'm saying is half of Fugazi's anti-commercial platform is sheer laziness. Aren't they also the band that banned people from moshing at their gigs, explaining why the live vids I found on youtube closely resembled a couple of hundred architecture students nodding along to some middle-aged librarians embarrasingly failing to rock out? I guess they probably are.

Der Golem

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.ihavenowebsite.com
« Reply #127 on: 02 Jan 2007, 09:59 »

Don't particularly care for either of these bands, but not making videos is way lamer than having axes and singing about winterdemons.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #128 on: 02 Jan 2007, 17:42 »

I do have a Coil album actually. I enjoy it ironically, obviously.

I'm trying to figure out if Tommy is being satrical or completely serious.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #129 on: 02 Jan 2007, 17:49 »

I am currently attempting to locate this gentlemans phone number.

I must admit, in my self-imposed reclusive little world, I do not come in much contact with (m)any of these hipsters, but I can say this now... from that picture, I will now be able to recognize them on sight as hobos with rosy-colored glasses.  Thank you for helping me update my mental records.  I always pictured them looking like beatniks with cardigans.

Edit: Spelling.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2007, 18:46 by kokeyjoe »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #130 on: 02 Jan 2007, 18:39 »

That is the scandalous thing about hipsters. All those clothes are reversible. Underneath, they are black. The collar of the shirt does up in to a polo neck. The hat artfully folds in to a beret.

They are chameleons.

I only burned Fugazi because the dude cold insulted Immortal. I don't see the point in them, however. For reasons that I have been seriously trying to explore in this thread.

Enjoying Coil ironically would be a minor thing, as it will never be clear just how much of their music was a joke or just something that they made accidentally by pushing buttons when they were high. I have this mental image now. Jhonny Balance waking up, he has the mother of all headaches. He grabs a glass of water and sits on his sofa. He checks his watch. He notices it is 4PM next wednesday. He turns on his TV but he presses the wrong button and activates his VCR. The video to Windowpane is in it. He watches, his eyes slowly getting wider, then he picks up the phone and dials Marc Almond.

"Marc, did I go to India recently? I don't remember anything after we dropped those tabs together in that Soho nightclub."
"Jhon, Jhon, I have absolutely no idea, but there's twenty thousand pounds missing from my bank account and somebody has filled my freezer with honey."
"What, a solid block of honey ice?"
"Yes."
"I bet you could make some fantastic cocktails from that. I'll be over in an hour."

And so on. It might be a fortnight before they realised they'd left Thighpaulsandra in a hotel room in Bombay, in a bath full of his own urine.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2007, 18:54 by KharBevNor »

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #131 on: 02 Jan 2007, 20:54 »

The fact that Fugazi banned moshing at their concerts makes me like them even more. I fucking hate moshing. If you want to beat the shit out of each other, start a fight club.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #132 on: 02 Jan 2007, 23:38 »

The fact that Fugazi banned moshing at their concerts makes me like them even more. I fucking hate moshing. If you want to beat the shit out of each other, start a fight club.

It's fairly ironic that they banned moshing, being a punk band. Hell, it's in direct conflict with punk as a whole.

But then again I love moshing.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #133 on: 03 Jan 2007, 00:05 »

It's not in direct conflict with punk as a whole. Very little moshing occured prior to British punk, if I'm not mistaken. It's part of hardcore but so is dancing like you're in a bad kung-fu movie.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #134 on: 03 Jan 2007, 00:12 »

It's fairly ironic that they banned moshing, being a punk band. Hell, it's in direct conflict with punk as a whole.

But then again I love moshing.

wait, what?
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #135 on: 03 Jan 2007, 00:15 »

wait, what?

In retrospect I'm an idiot, but banning moshing seems like the last thing a punk band would do, to be honest.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #136 on: 03 Jan 2007, 00:24 »

It's cool man, I used to have the same attitude myself.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #137 on: 03 Jan 2007, 00:51 »

but so is dancing like you're in a bad kung-fu movie.

It would be pretty awesome if people gave each other enough room at shows to do this without endangering anyone. Sometimes if I see Orochi and there is enough room I totally do this.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #138 on: 03 Jan 2007, 01:37 »

On an almost completely unrelated note, Tommy's last post made me laugh pretty hard.

Fatster is just a really, really funny word for some reason.

Cooooompletely off-topic though.

As a side note, you know a metal band has it going on when they're doing covers of 60s rock such as Surfin' USA. >_>

NiMRoD420

« Reply #139 on: 03 Jan 2007, 01:55 »

HAHAHAHA!

That's the coolest picture I've seen all week. And it's Tuesday.

They didn't 'ban' anything. Show me where that is written. Also, there was no such thing as 'moshing' when Fugazi started in 1987. MTV hadn't invented it yet.
Fugazi were famous for stopping shows when they saw violence amongst the audience. Some people expected the band to be a continuation of the resolutely hardcore Minor Threat and would basically turn up to kick the crap out of people and act like drunken assholes. If I'm watching a band and some motherfucker starts beating my ass I'm going to want him to stop because I came to see some live music. That's a reasonable thing to expect from your audience. Fugazi defined punk from 1987-2005. After hardcore had been around for nearly a decade the common, by rote violence at punk shows was conformist and uniform. By asking their audience to be respectful of each other they were undercutting people's expectations of punk rock. They were saying 'no' to the ritualistic slam dancing and asking people to express themselves as individuals. I saw Fugazi on three occasions and they were the best gigs I have ever been to. That's in part due to the fact I didn't have to deal with fatster assholes knocking into me every few seconds.

Too fucking true, Tommy boy. I used to mosh when I was younger and didn't play music myself. I think it's retarded as hell now. Though I had to beat back some crazy drunk motherfuckers who were trying to fondle my pseudo girlfriend at the last concert I went to. That's not really moshing, though. At least I hope not.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #140 on: 03 Jan 2007, 02:06 »

Sir, Do not underestimate the Fatster menace.

Actually now that I think about it, me laughing at your post was more likely a subconcious reaction to the realisation that I used a similar argument today to defend myself.

God I love lack of sleep it's the most amusing thing ever.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #141 on: 03 Jan 2007, 04:26 »

Penis!

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #142 on: 03 Jan 2007, 06:22 »

The fact that your thoughts turn to your penis when you think of Fatsters is rather disturbing.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #143 on: 03 Jan 2007, 06:34 »

Can they find it?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #144 on: 03 Jan 2007, 10:13 »

To be honest, I see why you'd ban moshing in the states. I hardly mosh in the UK any more because of the retarded American hardcore attitude that's been imported along with all the shit new deathcore music. I can't rely anymore that people are going to pick me up if I go down, or surf me out if it gets too much for me, I can't rely people aren't deliberately going to try and break my nose, I can't rely that no one is going to be wearing aggressive jewellery. I don't want to see the stage where I also can't rely on people not having straight razors sewn blade-side out in to their jackets or a length of chain in one hand. Bring back the headbang, bring back the mosh, as some bands have thankfully started saying. It's got totally ridiculous when I can go to see a band like Kingsize Blues supporting Crowbar at the Wedgewood Rooms and I can be the only person headbanging. Moshing, however, isn't violence. Not how it was being done in the UK when I started, not how its still being done in Europe. It can be brutal, but it should never be dangerous. Some of the best times of my life have been in Mosh Pits, or crowd surfing. Best thing ever at a concert though is when you get a line of like, 8 total strangers or whatever, and you all just link arms over each others shoulders and headbang in unison.

In fact, I just wrote a huge rant about this on my blog.
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2007, 10:19 by KharBevNor »

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #145 on: 03 Jan 2007, 11:20 »

The fact that your thoughts turn to your penis when you think of Fatsters is rather disturbing.

Nimrod420 just voiced my exact sentiments. 

CutMan

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Reality is almost always wrong."
« Reply #146 on: 03 Jan 2007, 12:11 »

As a side note, you know a metal band has it going on when they're doing covers of 60s rock such as Surfin' USA. >_>

Was that a Blind Guardian reference, or is there another band that re-did that I should know about?

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #147 on: 03 Jan 2007, 14:03 »

Was that a Blind Guardian reference, or is there another band that re-did that I should know about?

Blind Guardian win the metal game my friend. Thrash/speed/power metal...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #148 on: 03 Jan 2007, 15:31 »

Blind Guardian aren't even the best ridiculous power metal band with Tolkien themed lyrics.

(Wuthering Heights)

Scytale

« Reply #149 on: 03 Jan 2007, 16:23 »

Angel Dust is my pick of the power metal bands. "Bleed" and  "Enlighten the Darkness"  are both really excellent albums, not a huge fan of "Of Human Bondage" though. Their earlier stuff I would classify as thrash...

I agree with what people are saying about moshing its fucking retarded. Most shows I goto are fine, I have nothing wrong with headbanging, in fact theres nothing more awesome then headbanging along to an excellent band, but when fuckers in the audience try to start fights and grope girls and things then it just ruins it for everyone. I don't want to generalise but it's usually the 15 year old kids in their Slipknot t-shirts that are starting all the shit. Most 18+ gigs I goto are fine it's the all ages gigs where all the shit usually starts.  I was at a fucking Nightwish gig and people were trying to mosh, it's ridiculous...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up