THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 09:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 276488 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #200 on: 21 Jun 2011, 04:45 »

That it certainly does.

I want to see their development of Danerys in later seasons - almost as much as I want to see Tyrion [insert spoiler here].
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #201 on: 21 Jun 2011, 20:50 »

I would be mad if I was a dragon lady and my hair burned off because I'D BE A GODDAMN DRAGON LADY.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #202 on: 22 Jun 2011, 23:13 »

I binged on the series over the past couple of days. Wow. I really really hope they are able to continue this through the end.

I haven't read any of the books despite being a science fiction / fantasy fan, mostly because I'm waiting for GRRM to finish them so I don't get stuck waiting in the middle. So coming at it completely fresh (even avoiding most discussions and spoilers to this point), the series stood very well on its own and worked telling its story and making all of the characters real. I can't wait for more.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #203 on: 07 Jul 2011, 12:41 »

Soo, when does Season 2 start?

Haven't liked TV this much since BSG.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #204 on: 07 Jul 2011, 14:08 »

same time next year

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #205 on: 08 Jul 2011, 14:58 »

Guys, to call aDwD highly praised is an understatement.

IrrationalPie

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #206 on: 08 Jul 2011, 23:31 »

Huh?  There have only been a handful of reviews so far.

richlitt

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Hub
« Reply #207 on: 11 Jul 2011, 18:11 »

oh man I can't wait until I hit the states in ten days and can allow myself to buy it.

my mind:  :psyduck::mrgreen:
fungi are fucking punk rock!
I hear they're really big underground.

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #208 on: 12 Jul 2011, 04:13 »

the bookstore may say they have plenty of copies, but I won't believe it until I have one in my hands.
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

IMMANotListening

• Emoticontraindication
  • OHAI
« Reply #209 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:52 »

Just out of curiosity, had anyone read A Song of Ice and Fire series before it became a show?

I only found out about the series because I heard HBO was making a show and decided to give the books a shot first.
Heaven and Hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad/But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue." - David Hume

richlitt

• Hub
« Reply #210 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:26 »

I read the series before I saw the show.

(five times over.)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #211 on: 12 Jul 2011, 14:26 »

^ he made me read the series before I saw the show.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

richlitt

• Hub
« Reply #212 on: 13 Jul 2011, 01:53 »

The question is kind of moot now. Because, by the next season, everyone will have read the series all the way through, out of impatience. After this it's only a matter of nerd prestige.

IMMANotListening

• Emoticontraindication
  • OHAI
« Reply #213 on: 06 Aug 2011, 17:41 »

Something that might be of some interest:

Behind the Scenes: Game of Thrones - Visual Effects
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkptadiDABo&feature=player_embedded
Heaven and Hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad/But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue." - David Hume

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
« Reply #214 on: 09 Aug 2011, 07:09 »

What he said.

Sploosh

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #215 on: 06 Dec 2011, 07:57 »

I really loved ASOIAF/GoT; I picked up the book one day in my lunch break, because I'd read a few status updates re: the TV show - ended up reading most of the series before I finally got round to watching GoT.

Aside from ruining the 'twist' in GoT, it's became a conversation point for me and my manager as I was reading, haha.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #216 on: 09 Feb 2012, 13:59 »

So here's what Brienne looks like. I think they did a good job!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #217 on: 09 Feb 2012, 17:16 »

somehow I pictured her as really young. But otherwise looks good to me!
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #218 on: 27 Feb 2012, 08:27 »

This is a book question: I recently finished Storm of Swords. Should I keep going? I've read some pretty negative reviews of the next two books, many of which suggest they're fairly boring and aimless. Is it worth the 1800 pages or so? I DO want to keep going with the story in theory but at the same time it's not like I don't have other stuff I want to read.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #219 on: 27 Feb 2012, 09:07 »

Honestly, I hated most of Feast for Crows (Cersei is so freaking annoying), but there were still some interesting parts in there. Maybe just skip chapters of characters you don't care about, but I would still read them at some point. Maybe you could wait til we hear that book 6 is coming out?

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #220 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:29 »

I never got through A Feast for Crows. I didn't even get very far. It struck me as incredibly dull, and after reading the first three back-to-back, I couldn't make my self work through it. Sooner or later, I probably will, though. I am determined to make it through the series.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #221 on: 27 Feb 2012, 18:46 »

Having not read the series in a long time, all my memory is fuzzy

I remember being very angry and then very sad, and then in only one of the latest books there was a tiny bit of catharsis going on and then it was back to being as depressing as shit

Is it just me or Danaerys' story just seems to grind to a halt after the first 2 books

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #222 on: 27 Feb 2012, 20:17 »

Third book spoilers:

(click to show/hide)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #223 on: 27 Feb 2012, 20:36 »

yes, that's the one. Danaery's is in book 3 a decent amount. She kind of irritates me but the stuff that happens in her chapters is pretty cool. From what I've heard, she's not in book 4 at all.

Hollow Press (my blog)

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #224 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:44 »

Martin did start to separate the books into focusing on regional conflicts, which I think is fair because there was just way too much shit to cover.

But again, I just don't feel Danaerys really stands out in the books past the second one. I mean, she's all character development and legitimacy to the throne, but then later on its just her trying to deal with politicking while her dragons spend half the time not doing much at all

Her arc has ended on a neat cliffhanger so far, though, so I'm not entirely a pessimist.  :mrgreen:

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #225 on: 28 Feb 2012, 10:46 »

Hm, that's fair, yeah. It doesn't help any that I really don't like her character very much at all. She just comes across as this kind of foolish, entitled, arrogant kid with a warped sense of history. Maybe if Martin ever finishes the series she'll have developed into something more interesting but for now I can't help but feel that she's just not likeable. I kind of hope she returns to Westeros and her army gets demolished.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #226 on: 28 Feb 2012, 11:03 »

A Feast For Crows seemed to fall flat on the first read through. So, for that matter, did ADWD, but I've found that they both benefit immensely from re-reading. I loved AFFC the second time through (and every time after). If you're already invested enough to be three books deep, you really should try to get through them.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #227 on: 29 Feb 2012, 01:11 »

I found Feast to be boring in stretches but great in others. The Cersei chapters were so annoying but really important in the end as were the Jamie chapters. I had to force myself through the Brienne and Arya chapters, but I just hate Arya and Bran as characters and Brienne's become boring. Really I think the book is worth the read because it helps flesh out the corners of the realm that aren't covered in Starks or Lannisters. Lots of Ironborn, Dornish and Vale goodness to be had. About to start a second read through. I hope I'll pick up on some nuances I missed the first time.
Quis pater tibi est?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #228 on: 09 Mar 2012, 18:12 »

OK so I read it. It was OK but by far the worst of the series so far. Why on earth did Martin choose to make Cersei such a major character? She's awful, intensely unlikeable, and tremendously irritating. It didn't help the book was bloated and aimless with little real plot development and unnecessarily convoluted minor subplots and squabbles. I really enjoyed the segments in the Iron Isles and in Dorne and I liked Arya's chapters. Sam's felt completely pointless. Sansa's as well. Brienne's painted a vivid, grim picture of a land ravaged by war - I got a very Thirty Years War vibe from her wanderings. That vibe carries through a lot of the book actually, with roving bands of outlaws and deserters from the war, ravaged and pillaged villages, and religious fanatics vying for power. I didn't necessarily miss the characters that were left out but I also didn't see why Martin had to break the book into two parts - there was so much superfluous nonsense in this one that it probably could have been downsized significantly and combined with book 5 (also downsized, since from what I've heard it suffers from a similar set of problems) resulting in a book roughly the length of Storm of Swords, maybe a bit longer. There's really that much filler. Still, I'm ultimately glad I read it. Despite how little I care for some of the characters featured here, I like Martin's world too damn much to hate this even if it did test my patience.

EDIT: I forgot about Jamie! I liked his chapters. It's cool to see how he's developing from a heartless villain into something much more complicated. Almost, dare I say it, a good(ish) guy? I didn't expect that to happen and I think a less ambitious writer would have sat back and let Jamie just be GoT Jamie for the whole series. Martin's sense of moral ambiguity and character development (except in Cersei's (very static) case) is rare. Anyway Jamie is one of the characters I most excited to see through the end of this series, if and when that ever happens.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2012, 10:38 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

IrrationalPie

« Reply #229 on: 10 Mar 2012, 10:35 »

Thought this was funny . .

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #230 on: 12 Mar 2012, 00:18 »

Yeah Emilia Clarke has a very dramatic angryfeis

Don't think that'll change come this second season

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #231 on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:03 »

My favorite is the third one down. It almost looks like she's hissing.

@TheFuriousWombat: I feel the same way. About half of what was in books 4 and 5 would have made one really good book, but instead it's two overly long and somewhat boring books. He really could have left a lot of that stuff out. (And gotten rid of so many of Cersei's chapters.)

IrrationalPie

« Reply #232 on: 17 Mar 2012, 16:59 »

I'm guessing they'll combine books four and five and split them into two seasons with chronological events.

This is all assuming the show is picked up after Season 2, 3 and 4 (Book 3 was already said to become two seperate seasons).

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #233 on: 17 Mar 2012, 19:50 »

Hmm, that sounds likely, yeah. In the "afterward" of Feast, Martin writes something about how he didn't think it made sense for him to tell half the stories of all the characters in that book and then the second half in book 5. I really don't get why. Pretty much every series I can think of does it that way and it's always worked. I would imagine it had more to do with the fact that he was having trouble writing more of the story in any case and it was easier for him to take the approach he did - a theory further supported by the, what, six years between Feast and Dance? So yeah, doing Storm as two seasons makes sense because it's massive and then doing Feast/Dance chronologically in two seasons would be the most logical way to go forward. Plus for the show a massive amount will be cut, and rightly so, tightening up the whole sequence of events significantly.  I would guess it will run up to that point at least. Six seasons isn't unreasonable at all for a very popular HBO series and Game season 1 was a major success.

By then (5 years from now), book six will probably be done, right?

Hollow Press (my blog)

IrrationalPie

« Reply #234 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:28 »

First Season two review is in :  A-   
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20470532_20580368,00.html

The review has very little substance to it.  There isn't any 'This actor's performance was outstanding . . ', 'what I liked about . .' or 'what I disliked . . '.

Why even write a review?

In fact, I could write a similar review without even having watched the second season.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #235 on: 23 Mar 2012, 18:13 »

dude, it Entertainment Weekly. Lack of substance is kind of their thing.

Hollow Press (my blog)

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #236 on: 11 Apr 2012, 07:47 »

DEAR GOD HOW HAS ANYONE NOT POSTED ABOUT SEASON 2 YET?

I'm liking it. I've only recently read book 2, and I can't work out whether things just move so much faster on television or if they've shuffled some of the events around, chronologically. Either way, as mentioned a bit further up in this thread, the way Martin sets out the chapters means there are several things going on at once, so it makes a bit of sense to jumble things around a tad.
 A couple of points to note for me are;
-Jon Snow being so DAMN BROODY all the time. Kit Harrington does a great job of this, but sometimes I feel it may be a little over-acted.
-Peter Dinklage is still awesome as Tyrion.
-Really not overly keen on the way they've animated the direwolves, particularly Grey Wind in the scene with Jaime Lannister. It looks like they've filmed a normal wolf, then used the corner-drag tab to just drag it a bit bigger. I suppose it was that or just CGI one from scratch, but the seams just looked a bit too obvious.
-Holy Jesus Hodor has a massive dong.
-Peter Dinklage is still so damn awesome.

So, how are we all feeling?
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #237 on: 11 Apr 2012, 08:13 »

I'm quite liking it so far.

You're right about the dire wolves, but I can't think of a way that they could do it well, beyond showing them as little as possible. CGI just doesn't look realistic enough yet for it to be used in live-action video, unless it's used (as GoT does) to create stuff that you're not looking directly at, or stuff that moves too fast for you to notice.

I think they have jumbled stuff up a bit. SPOILERS: Isn't it in the second episode where Stannis' Maester tries to poison Melisandre? I seem to recall that happening in the prologue.

Stannis doesn't look quite right to me. I imagined him being more physically imposing, with thicker features and dark hair. To be fair, though, I have no idea how he's described in the books.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #238 on: 12 Apr 2012, 02:47 »

I dunno, I kinda like Stannis, but I'm sure Davos was supposed to have longer hair. The Maester trying to poison Melisandre was a little way into the first episode, but you're right, it is in the prologue of the book.

One thing that struck me when I started reading the book is how much younger most of the characters are, especially the Stark kids. There is no way Robb Stark is meant to be 15 in the television series. I don't mind, I guess it would have been a bit more difficult to cast.

One thing I forgot to mention is how awesome I think Jack Gleason is as Joffrey. I fucking hate that guy, which means he's doing it right.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #239 on: 12 Apr 2012, 11:37 »

Regarding the ages of characters on the show vs. characters in the book, I watched an interview from around the time Season 1 started (I think) where he explained that discrepancy. He said it had to do in large part with the sexual stuff children in the book - notably Dany - are involved in, and to a lesser degree the violence. In the book, Dany is really young and there was no way they could have her having sex with an adult. So they made her older but as a result, all the other kids had to be older as well since there's an established timeline to the world that Martin and the show's producers didn't want to mess with too much. It seemed better to keep everyone proportionally the same age than throw off that whole timeline, even if that meant the characters all being a few years older than they should be. I think he also said something about how people would be uneasy if Arya was going around murdering people if she was eight but were more ok with it if she was 12 or 13.

Hollow Press (my blog)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #240 on: 12 Apr 2012, 22:55 »

i don't think i have ever hated a fictional character quite as much as i hate that inbred little shit.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #241 on: 16 Apr 2012, 17:09 »

NEW EPISODE!

Brienne is not how I pictured her at all. I mean, I'd seen the preview picture, but even with that in mind, when I did start reading I conjured up something totally different.

I thought the scene with Tyrion and Pycelle/Varys/Littlefinger was done very cleverly.

BOOK BASED SPOILERS
(click to show/hide)

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #242 on: 17 Apr 2012, 03:36 »

Brienne is completely not what I pictured her to be. She is far too attractive, and her accent just seems off to me. I found myself intensely disliking the scenes with her in as a result, which is a real shame because in the books she's one of my favourite characters.

(click to show/hide)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #243 on: 19 Apr 2012, 19:11 »

I don't have HBO so I can't watch it. *sniff* I'm sure I'll download it at some point, but still.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #244 on: 19 Apr 2012, 20:18 »

sidereel dot com Linds
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #245 on: 20 Apr 2012, 00:53 »

Or just google the episode and "tv links." That site collects links from side reel and a bunch of other streaming sites. The links on there don't always work but there's never been a new episode of a show I haven't eventually found. Plus they go up almost immediately after each episode ends so you can even watch episodes the same night if you're so inclined.

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #246 on: 10 May 2012, 22:13 »

I was just thinking the other day, I'm actually really looking forward to Season 3 in part because I want to see the reaction of the all the show's fanboys who haven't actually read the books to
(click to show/hide)
Call me a jerk, but I think it's going to be hilarious.

Hollow Press (my blog)

verdyyy3

• Plantmonster
« Reply #247 on: 15 May 2012, 18:54 »

I was just thinking the other day, I'm actually really looking forward to Season 3 in part because I want to see the reaction of the all the show's fanboys who haven't actually read the books to
(click to show/hide)

I think that's what makes the story stand out, it expands your imagination about what's going to happen next.
(click to show/hide)
It's not predictable.. you can't say that about many stories. So yeah, awesome books/tv show.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.  :wink:
Not all who wander are lost.

sixleaf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #248 on: 20 May 2012, 12:38 »

(click to show/hide)

Oh yes, I'm so excited about this part next season because I can't wait to read the twitter reactions. Although:
(click to show/hide)

Slightly off topic from that, but can I just talk about what an amazing job Sophie Turner is doing? Having read all of the books, I think Sansa is one of the most dynamic characters in the series and Turner is doing such an amazing job; I'm really impressed.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
    • myspace!
« Reply #249 on: 21 May 2012, 07:05 »

Who is this girl that's supposed to be Robb Stark's love interest? She's just been made up out of thin air to replace Jeyne, and I don't even know why, all I know is that I actually don't give a shit about her sad little backstory. It seems to make sod all difference to the wider arc.

One think I am VERY excited for is the Battle of Blackwater. That's going to be epic. But where is the chain? Seems a pretty integral part of the battle.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20   Go Up