THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 16:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Like a Book Club, but with Records.  (Read 37405 times)

Clara

Re: Like a Book Club, but with Records.
« Reply #100 on: 04 Feb 2007, 14:00 »

I really enjoyed this record! I'll agree mostly with what's been said about it being background music -- but by the time I did start "actively" listening to it, I really had come to appreciate just how overtly cool it was, and the songs I liked best do seem to be the ones that manifest that sort of easy laziness best. "Worst Trip" and "Weekend" both stick out in my mind for those reasons: the former has something totally driving about it, most likely an incredible bassline, the sort that gets heads bobbing and hips gyrating even if it is only in your car seat; and the latter, while the mellower of the two, has such a sweet demeanor that makes its kind of anticlimactic rise-and-fall totally supple and appropriate. It's not brimming over itself in eagerness to impress -- it's nostalgia set to tape, and it is SO GOOD.

"Alaska" made this record for me, but that seems to be the consensus anyways? "The Girl" and "The Way the Lazy Do" sound like they might have been all right ideas that are overladen with, uhm, noise. They lose their focus when the harmonies start getting lost in whatever that is - my guess is noisemakers. "Ain't it Strange" is sort of sappy in a really garish way, I feel like it's just, at best, filler between to really great songs. Almost pointless enough to merit the effort of reaching for the skip button.

"Die Die Die" is great in an entirely different vein, as is the album's closer. Overall the album makes me think of all that '60s jargon you guys have been bringing up, but a whole lot of the album reminds me of what I like about Pavement, but a whole lot cooler and a whole lot simpler. I'm thinking "Range Life" type-Pavement here.

Also, sorry about the delay, I thought I was going to write a review about this for my school newspaper and was waiting to post it, but that was a miscommunication between me and the entertainment editor. So!

edit: This second upload isn't working for me at all, will update when I get back home.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2007, 14:02 by Clara »

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #101 on: 04 Feb 2007, 16:40 »

Could someone upload the last track to Box for me? I can't use Rapidshare because I have a Mac.  :-P
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

AnonymousNoob

« Reply #102 on: 04 Feb 2007, 18:11 »

Macs can use RapidShare.

I'm proof of this.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #103 on: 04 Feb 2007, 18:35 »

Oh...well then. Maybe I just don't feel like downloading it, but damned if I'm going to.
Okay, fine, I guess I will.

Ben yayayayayayayay

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • You are so handsome. You are my friend.
« Reply #104 on: 04 Feb 2007, 19:37 »

I just finished my first listen to Shipping News, and I'm not very impressed. Overall I just found it very boring, the music was very droning and the vocals were sort of muffled, so I couldn't make out any lyrics (I'm listening on speakers, perhaps I would hear them better if I put on my headphones). Maybe I should just put it on as background music like everyone says, but so far I'm not too taken with this album  :-(
If you fight fire with fire, you will just make a bigger fire. Yes.
But if you fight fire with crystals, and ice bulbs, you will put the fire out and the crystals will turn to diamonds!

SeanBateman

« Reply #105 on: 04 Feb 2007, 20:04 »

This was by no means a bad record, but I wouldn't call it good either. I don't really see how you are going to call this minimalist either. Or, well, even post rock.

I'm gonna listen to this again now, updates when I finish.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #106 on: 04 Feb 2007, 20:33 »

I find it's less minimalist in the sense of instrumentation, etc., and more minimalist in the sense that the songwriting is very, well, minimal. It's full of droning and repetition.

I dig a lot of drone-based stuff so I guess that's why I like it. The muffling of the vocals seems like a deliberate sort of production choice, in keeping with the rest of the steady, monochromatic feel.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

SeanBateman

« Reply #107 on: 04 Feb 2007, 21:02 »

Okay I just listened through this again. In some places I really started to enjoy it, but for the most part, I found it bland at best, obnoxious at worst. For example, "Axons and Dendrittes" starts off amazing, and listening to it I was sure I was going to enjoy the album, but the vocals just comepletely blew it for me. It took the kind of elegance of the song and made it sound really juvenile and immature.

(Morays or) Demon was also pretty bad. The Vocals are I think my biggest problem with this record, actually. The chorus sounds like he is trying to do a bad Modest Mouse impression with out any of Brock's distinctive style or lyrical flair. The song itself builds well, but it doesn't go anywhere except the chorus, which, as I said, I found less than impressive.

Overall, the album sounds like they took a couple of really good QOTSA songs, stretched them out, took josh homme, shot him, and replaced him with a dude who couldn't sing nearly as well. I might give it another listen, to pinpoint songs I did like, but this wasn't my thing.

For the record, I typically really really like minimalist, droning stuff, which is why I was so disappointed in this record.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #108 on: 05 Feb 2007, 11:51 »

I really dont think the lyrics matter that much. They're not printed in the booklet and like Johnny C said, the muffling of the vocals was probably a deliberate production choice. I see the vocals on this album as just another instrument. Plus, I really like Axons and Dendrites, even with the vocals.

Come to think of it, I should have uploaded one of their earlier albums.
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2007, 11:54 by Misereatur »
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #109 on: 05 Feb 2007, 14:36 »

When a call an album like this "minimalist" I'm really using that as a fancy word for "stark and cold", I think.  I dig the vocals.

I can listen to Windy & Carl's 3-CD boxset all the way through for days at a time, though, so I'm probably more comfortable than some of you with things that are simple and/or repetitive.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Ben yayayayayayayay

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • You are so handsome. You are my friend.
« Reply #110 on: 05 Feb 2007, 19:30 »

I just think that if the lyrics weren't very important, they would've muffled the vocals even more. They seem to be just audible enough to make out some words, but not enough to get the whole picture, which makes it seem like the band actually cared about the vocals. I say either go full on My Bloody Valentine, or put them up in front of the music, but that's just my ugly opinion.
A good way to describe the droning in this album is to say that if I'm listening to a song, and just click on any other random time in the song, it'll sound basically the same to me as the part I was just listening to.
If you fight fire with fire, you will just make a bigger fire. Yes.
But if you fight fire with crystals, and ice bulbs, you will put the fire out and the crystals will turn to diamonds!

MusicScribbles

« Reply #111 on: 06 Feb 2007, 19:42 »

I have to say I'm digging this, but that's probably because I've been using it as background music for a bit. I understand the drone, because I like that kind of music from time to time. The vocals? Yeah, I get what you mean by the vocals not being there, but I'm also thinking about them as another instrument, since they're so blurred on some tracks. Although, on some tracks the vocals kind've get in the way of the actual music a bit too much, while on other they mesh nicely (Example: Untitled w/Drums).
So, one question, when are the updates again? Every what?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #112 on: 08 Feb 2007, 08:10 »

Oh shit man, totally forgot to listen to this! been a hellish couple of last days, theory essays and zinc plate etching oh my!

I'll upload my album and give my thoughts of this one when I get back to my base of operations on the Isle of Wight, which should be about 10PM GMT tonight.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #113 on: 10 Feb 2007, 10:56 »

Okay guys

Ewigkeit - Conspiritus

Sorry about the wait.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #114 on: 10 Feb 2007, 18:34 »

I need to give this a second listen through, but so far I have really enjoyed it.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #115 on: 10 Feb 2007, 19:49 »

So far my favourite track is "Square Sunrise." That harmonica is so goddamn awesome.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #116 on: 10 Feb 2007, 22:45 »

I'm partial to 'It's Not Reality' and 'The Thought Police', myself. It might be because those are the more straightforward metal songs.

Either way this is totally rad, Khar. I'll try and do a more detailed write up later, but I am way tired.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

conman

« Reply #117 on: 11 Feb 2007, 04:55 »

Pkay, I just have to ask, since I downloaded it((Hope that that is okay)) and I just want to know what type of music this album is since I have been trying to find some good new bands and other stuff to listen to.  And by the way, this group totally rocks, and Its Not Reality is awesome.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #118 on: 11 Feb 2007, 21:41 »

The tags say "Dance Metal." In theory this is my new favourite genre.

I have to add that a couple of things grate on me. The album is kind of unrelenting right up until the very last track. Even the quieter parts throughout the tracks are mostly very aggressive and hyper, which makes for kind of a wearying listen.

The second problem I have is basically with the last two tracks. "How To Conquer The World" I have a tough time with; live and fake-live tracks (I am going out on a limb and assuming this one is the latter) in the middle of studio albums, even studio concept albums, almost never appeal to me. I find they kind of drag me too forcefully out of the context of the album. "The Needle And The Damage Done" off of Neil Young's Harvest does the same thing to me as "How To Conquer The World." A glance at the Wikipedia reveals this record to be a concept album, and I can appreciate that this may be a part of the concept, but it's an irritating little production quirk that I can't profess to enjoy. "Conspiritus," musically, is just placed really awkwardly. You have this overly-aggressive record that just doesn't quit pounding music into your ear... and it ends with that track?

For those faults, the record is still a really good listen. It's crammed full of dark, heavy hooks and compelling songs. It's unfortunate that the last two songs seem like such poor choices.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2007, 21:55 by Johnny C »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #119 on: 12 Feb 2007, 01:30 »

Man the last two songs should be Theoreality the Conspiritus.

I guess I should have done the tags better, but the albums always worked fine for me.

This video by Jim Fogarty (Ewigkeits sole studio member) explains the albums concept very basically. Be warned, he is a very paranoid and cynical man, also an anarchist! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH78vRAmBQw

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #120 on: 13 Feb 2007, 15:22 »

This album deserves more discussion, guys. Also, who is next? Get on the ball, would ya?

SeanBateman

« Reply #121 on: 13 Feb 2007, 15:41 »

I thought this was a good album, but I need to listen to it a couple more times before I can really decide anything. It was really poppy though. Not sure if I am crazy about that.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #122 on: 13 Feb 2007, 17:58 »

This album deserves more discussion, guys. Also, who is next? Get on the ball, would ya?

Yeah, who is that fucker...

*goes back and looks at the list*

...I mean shining paragon of human being?

I'll upload it later tonight, hopefully!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #123 on: 13 Feb 2007, 19:20 »

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #124 on: 13 Feb 2007, 19:55 »

Ewigkeit really is unlike anything on my computer so it is hard to make comparisons. The faster tempos, smart lyrics, and tranced bass make the music quite enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed the Thought Police.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #125 on: 13 Feb 2007, 20:23 »

It was a great deal catchier than I'm used to when dealing with metal. Like, I remember humming the chorus to Thought Police several hours after listening to the album. I like the tasteful use of keyboards as well, which is almost never done correctly in metal. As I mentioned earlier, The Thought Police and It's Not Reality were my favorite tracks, probably because they were easy to enjoy on the surface level from the up-tempo riffs, but had some more depth to them that holds up after multiple listenings. I wasn't a big fan of Square Sunrise or Transcend the Senses, but they weren't bad songs, and I liked pretty much every minute of the rest. The best thing about this is that I probably never would have heard of this unless it had been uploaded here.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #126 on: 14 Feb 2007, 09:34 »

I need to listen to these albums a little more before I post my opinion.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #127 on: 14 Feb 2007, 18:36 »

i really really liked this album (Ewigkeit). Fun, catchy metal played with skill but not wankery. Soid songwriting and a good ear for melody.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #128 on: 17 Feb 2007, 11:52 »

You guys do know I uploaded the next album, right?

SeanBateman

« Reply #129 on: 17 Feb 2007, 12:33 »

I will download that soon, but basically every band that I could possibly want to listen to leaked an album this week, so I need a minute. I gotta get through Blonde Redhead, the new Brett Anderson solo record, and Ted Leo before I can even think about this record.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #130 on: 17 Feb 2007, 12:57 »

That's cool, I just didn't want the tread to accidentally die.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #131 on: 17 Feb 2007, 21:30 »

The Internet I am using hates me.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #132 on: 25 Feb 2007, 11:25 »

just to reanimate this thread, i am listening to khar's album now, and downloading storm_rider's

i am liking ewigkeit so far
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #133 on: 25 Feb 2007, 11:31 »

oh god thanks for bringing this thread back up.

Downloading storm's.

I'm next; when should I upload my stuff? I don't think many people have listened to Storm's yet, so I'm thinking about waiting a little bit.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #134 on: 25 Feb 2007, 12:50 »

As far as Sir Lord Baltimore goes... hm.  In the context of the time period, okay, it's not half bad and fairly innovative.  Honestly I just don't really like it, though.  I mean, the year before, MC5 had released Kick Out the Jams, so I think even if I were living in that time period, I wouldn't take bands like MC5 off the record player to put something like this on.  Not that it's truly bad at all, just that I don't find it truly interesting and most of the songs are too unfocused to keep my attention.  Most of them - especially tracks 1 and 3... are way too long and meandering.

Still, I can appreciate this as being an overlooked classic that metal fans should listen to.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #135 on: 25 Feb 2007, 17:16 »

They were basically the American response to the British proto-metal movement. Blue Cheer was certainly better as far as early American heavy metal goes, but I was trying to find something nobody already knew about.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #136 on: 26 Feb 2007, 14:38 »

This is basically completely awesome music to pump my fist to.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #137 on: 26 Feb 2007, 16:16 »

At first I did not like Sir Lord Baltimore, then I listened to it again when I was in a goofier mood, and had a fabulous time listening. It is music I cannot take seriously, but can seriously enjoy.

SeanBateman

« Reply #138 on: 27 Feb 2007, 08:30 »

My little brother really liked this album.

Basically like everyone said, it was fun, not amazing. I don't really know what makes this "metal" as I am not really a fan of that genre usually, but I liked this nonetheless. The vocals sounded like Captain Beefheart with less gravel to me, and the music itself was pretty great. I was happy that the songs went on for 4 or 5 minutes as a standard, because that whole "lets play a ton of short songs" thing has never really been that great in my eyes, so this is definitely an okay thing.

I like Master Heartache a lot, and I Got a Woman is pretty awesome. I don't know why they put Lake Isle Of Innersfree on there though. That song makes me want to hate the whole band.

I would like someone to explain why this is "Metal" to me though. I am not seeing what seperates it from just "music that has guitars and drums."

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #139 on: 27 Feb 2007, 21:56 »

Well, it's basically the heavier blues-rock that became the basis of what would grow into heavy metal in the near future. Bands like this one, Led Zeppelin, Blue Cheer, and so on are what early metal artists derived their sound from. Of course, Black Sabbath released their debut a year earlier than this album, but I was speaking more in a general sense because a lot of that subgenre developed pretty rapidly. That's why I used the term 'proto-metal', although now that I think about it that word probably made me sound like a pretentious douche.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #140 on: 28 Feb 2007, 09:10 »

Well, there's also something really basic, gritty and primal about the album that makes the "proto-" a bit more apt.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #141 on: 28 Feb 2007, 11:27 »

I'd definitely use the term proto-metal to describe this album.

Like everybody said, it's pretty good. Almost stoner metal at some points from what I remmember. It's a shame not a lot of people (including myself) know this band, it should be mentioned with Blue Cheer and Led Zeppelin.
I should send this album to my metalhead friends, they'd probably appreciate it.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #142 on: 02 Mar 2007, 09:45 »

Let's get this thing moving, people!  I'm really psyched about the album I'm going to do and we're moving really slow here.    :|

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #143 on: 02 Mar 2007, 14:55 »

Sorry I realise I've gone a bit AWOL on this thread. I'll listen to the next record. I've just been massively ill and had schoolwork to catch up on I skipped a few records. I have one to put up for you guys to listen to when it gets to my turn though.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #144 on: 05 Mar 2007, 12:16 »

So seriously Sir Lord Baltimore are awesome partying music. My favourite part of the whole record is during "Pumped Up":

WAHLAH WATCHA! *brikka-DOW!*

*huge solo*

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #145 on: 07 Mar 2007, 23:55 »

I'm bumping this thread because I really want the next album.

jolijn

« Reply #146 on: 08 Mar 2007, 01:06 »

I'm gonna be 21 before this thing ends.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #147 on: 10 Mar 2007, 21:50 »

shit it is my album

it will be up tomorrow morning, first thing

right now
sleep
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #148 on: 12 Mar 2007, 09:19 »

it will be up tomorrow morning, first thing

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #149 on: 12 Mar 2007, 14:06 »

Hey I'm only 10 hours late cut me some slack dude

Ad Astra Per Aspera - Catapult Calypso
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up