bachelorchow

• Not quite a lurker
!
« on: 07 Feb 2007, 17:27 »

:)
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2012, 03:22 by bachelorchow »

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
Re: new wide monitor - help!
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2007, 22:16 »

It is important to list the specifications of your computer and equipment so people have information to answer your questions with.

What onboard graphics do you have?

What model monitor?

What OS?

Are you using the DVI output if it has one?

Did you install the drivers for the monitor?

Are you using the latest drivers for your onboard graphics?

If your computer is relatively recent (manufactured in the last two or three years), it should be able to push 1400x900 without a problem. That resolution is about 1.23 megapixels, which is about the same as the standard 4:30 1280x960 resolution.

My guess is that windows doesn't know what monitor you have and that it's a widescreen. Go to the manufacturer's website and get the latest drivers for both your monitor and your video card and install them according to the directions.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2007, 22:21 by dennis »

The Cosmic Fool

« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2007, 23:42 »

Well, you might be right about the computer not being able to handle the high resolution. It's a common problem. My suggestion would be to update your video drivers and see if it will give you the option. If not, you're probably out of luck and will need to buy a new card.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2007, 04:07 »

Yeah, I agree, look at the drivers first. If you have an integrated ATI or nVidia chipset, you might even find some modified drivers out there, they usually have a plethora of resolution settings.
In case you need to buy a new card, the question is what you're doing with your computer and what the other specs are. If you want high image quality and possibly second monitor, use Windows and don't play games at all, Matrox would be an option. Otherwise probably an entry-level nVidia or an ATI card.

SeanTheFilmGuy

« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb 2007, 20:26 »

eee, an sis integrated vid card?  ouch, yeah its upgrade time, but to what we need the specs on your system.  but get the best compatible card you can afford

Scytale

« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2007, 23:25 »

ouch only having AGP 4* may hurt you, Most video card are PCi-E these days and I'm pretty sure any AGP ones will require AGP 8*

might be time to upgrade you're motherboard as well.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb 2007, 08:48 »

Yeah, this card would definitely work. And AGP4x shouldn't be an issue, the compatibility problems were below that. Every AGP8x card should work with a socket 478 AGP4x slot, albeit theoretically a bit slower (practically it isn't, the transfer rate hardly ever is the limiting factor).
Actually, even a cheaper AGP card would do, if you don't play games. Make sure it's passively cooled and either an ATI or nVidia card and you should be set.

flo21

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2007, 10:55 »

I had a 9550 once, it's a decent card, no fan was even needed, and I was able to play even the latest games 1 year ago at 1024X768

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:37 »

The Radeon 9550 sounds like a good choice. It should extend the life of your setup a while. If you look around, you could probably find a generic AGP card that will handle that resolution for about $50 US.

Before you go spend that cash, you might try going into your system's BIOS and see if you can increase the memory allocation to your integrated graphics chip. That might allow you to select some higher resolutions in Windows.

---
I did some googling and found this page on the SiS website that directly addresses your problem:

http://www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_4.htm

1.     Why my SiS Integrated Graphic can not support 1440x900 resolution?

If your SiS integrated graphic (SiS650 series, SiS661 series, SiS740, SiS741 series, and SiS760 series) can not support 19" WXGA for 1440x900 resolution, you may check some information below:

1. Update the latest UniVGA3 driver, you may download from Download Center.
2. Check your VBIOS version, go to "Control Pannel"->"Display"->"Settings"->"Advanced"->"Administrator"->"Product information", and you can see the VBIOS information, please check if it is updated to 2.28.00 or later.
3. If your VBIOS version is not 2.28.00 or later, you have to update your BIOS, please contact your board maker or system provider to get BIOS update support.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2007, 05:42 by dennis »
Pages: [1]   Go Up