THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 03:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: any Modest Mouse recommendations?  (Read 9018 times)

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
any Modest Mouse recommendations?
« on: 08 Feb 2007, 19:22 »

i liked them for a little while before, but never really got into them, but i kind of like them again.  but i haven't heard anything besides "Float On" and "The Ocean Breathes Salty".  so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

Jooooosh

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: any Modest Mouse recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Feb 2007, 19:24 »

We got some work to do.

Lonesome Crowded West
Moon and Antarctica
This is a Long Drive.....
Building Something out of nothing
Fruit that Ate Itself

just buy every thing man, its all good
fast-food for thought

quietnow

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2007, 20:41 »

really the only one worth listening to is moon + antarctica.

others have good songs, but are not good albums.
Quote from: Sam
Anyone who doesn't have a crush on Kari is doing it wrong.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2007, 20:48 »

I briefly liked Modest Mouse in '98.  Then I cam to my senses.  The only things of theirs I'd listen to today are The Fruit That Ate Itself and Interstate 8 (I am so pissed I sold my copy of the latter considering it goes for $60+ these days).
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

kablaaamo

« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb 2007, 21:19 »

The Moon and Antarctica is pretty epic. The Lonesome Crowded West is alright. Otherwise....I'm not all that fond of Modest Mouse's back catalog.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2007, 23:34 »

The Moon and Antarctica and the Lonesome Crowded West are great.  They're are definitely "weirder" than Good News, but if you actually dig Modest Mouse and not just a couple of hooks you'll dig those albums.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #6 on: 09 Feb 2007, 00:14 »

I ditto Moon and Antarctica. I also liked Gravity Rides Everything. I got addicted to it after my brtoher put it on my mp3 player (he has some odd music tastes).
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: 09 Feb 2007, 02:17 »

Don't.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Spinless

« Reply #8 on: 09 Feb 2007, 05:49 »

Modest Mouse is one of those bands where you HAVE to start at the beginning and listen to everything, including the EPs/singles.
So start at the beginning. Forget about those singles you heard, they won't be relevant for a while.
I can't stress how much I think you should start at the beginning.
The ten best modest mouse songs are probably pre-moon&antartica anyway.

thermodynamics

« Reply #9 on: 09 Feb 2007, 06:03 »

The ten best modest mouse songs are probably pre-moon&antartica anyway.

whole-heartedly agree.  actually, i feel like the best albums were the oldest ones. a lot of people got into them @ moon & antarctica or good news when they arrived at a more 'produced' sound. My favorite song (dirty fingernails) is on Fruit tht Ate itself... but Long Drive and Lonesome Crowded are my favorite full-lengths.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #10 on: 09 Feb 2007, 07:42 »

really the only one worth listening to is moon + antarctica.

others have good songs, but are not good albums.

I could not disagree more. Modest Mouse's pre-Moon work is fantastic and you should buy all the earlier stuff before you get into 'modern' Modest Mouse with Moon and Good News.

Spinless

« Reply #11 on: 09 Feb 2007, 10:07 »

Modest Mouse were much more interesting before Isaac Brock got fat.
Really though, I like to think of each modest mouse album as being a chapter of a story. When you listen to the lyrics from album to album, each album so far starts to sound like a part of Isaac Brock's biography. And the best parts of this biography are when he was an angry and depressed youth.
POSITIVE/NEGATIVE IS STILL LIKE, THE BEST MODEST MOUSE SONG EVER.
But I doubt you'll ever hear it live ever again. Modest Mouse's live shows really suffered when they got off the drugs and got on the money. You can't watch videos from live shows around 1997 because the band is literally just a blur throwing themselves all over the place, but I noticed bootlegs around M&A gradually filtering out the old songs and replacing them with new songs. I have a bootleg from around GN and the only song pre M&A was a shockingly bad rendition of Cowboy Dan.
I can't imagine them playing nowadays and opening with 'float on' before playing 'Doing the Cockroach'.

SeanBateman

« Reply #12 on: 09 Feb 2007, 11:57 »

The order you should be buying these albums in, if you liked the songs off of Good News, is this.

Get Good News First. Yeah, it's their sellout album, and it's their poppiest album, but a couple of the songs will get you ready for some of the rougher stuff, and it'll be an easy place for you to start.

Then get Moon and Antarctica. This is a really great record, without a single bad song on it. It's still a lot easier to listen to then their earliest stuff, but again, you can hear the more experimental sounds creeping in around the edges on some of the better tracks.

Then you want to get Building Nothing out of Something. It's a combination of all but 2 tracks of the Interstate 8 EP, and a lot of other singles and B-sides they put out early in their career. It has a ton of really amazing songs on it, some of which rank among the best the band has ever done, but it's still less difficult to listen to than some of their other stuff.

By this point you're ready for Lonesome Crowded West. Flat Out, this is the best Modest Mouse album. There is literally not a bad song on here, and it has my two favourite songs by the band, ever. Buy it, listen to it, love it.

After this, you can get This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About if you want to keep yourself off the edge, you can get Fruit that Ate Itself if you want to run screaming over the edge and listen to some of the most intense music they ever made, or you can get Sad Sappy Sucker, which is a reissue of their original EP's, plus what was supposed to be their first full length, and which I do not have, which I am incredibly unhappy about.

Just my 2 cents.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #13 on: 09 Feb 2007, 15:05 »

The best song they ever did is "Sleepwalkin'".

Discuss.

minkles

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #14 on: 09 Feb 2007, 15:59 »

I'm going to reccomend "Good News for People Who Love Bad News".

From there, go to "The Moon and Antartica", then "The Lonesome Crowded West", then "This Is A Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About"

You can all beat me with clubs now.

But seriously, Good News... is a fantastic album.  I prefer The Moon and Antartica, but you should probably listen to Good News first if you enjoyed the songs you mentioned.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #15 on: 09 Feb 2007, 16:14 »

You can all beat me with clubs now.

*beats you with a played out 808 beat and 100 dipshits with glowsticks*

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #16 on: 09 Feb 2007, 21:00 »

Lonesome Crowded West is probably my favourite by them.  It's the kind of record I can't tire of quickly.  Second favourite would have to be a tie between Building Nothing Out Of Something and The Moon and Antarctica.  BNOS is quirky and jerky but still remains poppy during songs like All Nite Diner, while M&A is filled with introspection, meloncholy and moodiness (in my opinion).
I like the way you work it.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2007, 12:50 »

i think i'm slightly out of place when i say 'building nothing out of something' is possibly thier best album, behind only 'the lonesome crowded west.' the moon and antartica definetly doesn't compare for me. lyrically 'BNOOS" is just better (for lack of a better word). there are some damn tragic songs on that album. anyways i'd start with those two and then go for moon and antarctica and then 'this is a long drive...'  and then various eps and sad sappy sucker and such.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2007, 13:18 »

I heard the new single (Dashboard, I think it's called) while being driven to a run down bowling alley in Cleveland a few weekends ago. It was disturbing how I didn't even realize it was Modest Mouse for almost its entire length. And I don't mean "I didn't recognize it" in a good way, either. Could Marr be ruining Modest Mouse?? Film at 11.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2007, 15:17 »

I'm not too impressed with Modest Mouse's new stuff either. Their live performance is getting worse and worse, too. Someone give them more drugs.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb 2007, 15:40 »

Quote from: ScrambledGregs link=topic=14966.msg458833#msg458833 date=1171142323Could Marr be ruining Modest Mouse??
[/quote

Well, let's take a look at Marr's post-Smiths work:

Electronic.

The prosecution rests, your honor.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2007, 08:29 »

Yeah, at first I was super excited about Marr joining them, because it was the guitarist/musical visionary of my first girlfriend's favorite band joining my last girlfriend's favorite band. But then after hearing that single on the radio, it hit me that Marr hasn't made any good music since the Smiths broke up (can we say Boomslang??) and Modest Mouse seem to be going in the Death Cab For Cutie direction of an indie band becoming more, for lack of a better word, 'accessible' and popular with each release.

But maybe the single is a red herring.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2007, 10:05 »

i actually listened to the new single and i didn't really like it...i know i just got into them, but easily my favorite song by them, is "Gravity Rides Everything"

minkles

« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2007, 13:05 »

Come on, there has to be someone other than me who likes their recent stuff.  Anyone?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2007, 17:14 »

On a slightly different tack, don't be too disheartened if you find that you don't enjoy their music as much as you think you should. This doesn't make you a lesser person (despite what I'm sure some people here will tell you). I really eagerly went out and bought the Moon and Antarctica a year or two ago based on the overwhelmingly positive comments on this forum, and was really massively disappointed (apart from the first two tracks, which I love).

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2007, 18:51 »

Don't.

What's your deal, man?  Why are you shitting on Modest Mouse?  I want answers.

Anyway, I would recommend Tundra/Desert.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2007, 19:29 by Flaming Ostrich »
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2007, 20:20 »

The first and only time I tripped on mushrooms, I listened to The Moon & Antarctica, among other albums, and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It's easy to diminish a powerful experience by knowing that most of it probably was the drugs, but at least partially it was due to that album finally making sense to me and helping me understand something about myself and the world as a whole. I had never really listened to Brock's lyrics before then, either, so it was pretty mind blowing to know all this stuff was going on in the songs.

@ minkles: I really like Good News For People Who Love Bad News but there is something about a band you really love and felt was "your's" suddenly becoming popular and hearing the same song of their's literally everywhere that diminishes your enjoyment of an album. And maybe that's the wrong reason to like an album less, but there it is.

minkles

« Reply #27 on: 13 Feb 2007, 01:46 »

Eh, maybe.  I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I got into them via Good News for People Who Love Bad News, so maybe that's why I feel a connection to that album, "Float On" in particular.

As to The Moon And Antartica, I've had a similar experience, without drugs.  So it is the music and the lyrics, not the drugs.  Or maybe partially the drugs.  Still, a life-changing album.

As for their best song, it has not been mentioned yet, but it is probably "Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset".  Or "Doin' The Cockroach".  Or "Bankrupt on Selling". Anything with a gerund, really.  (The Good Times Are Killing Me?  Convenient Parking?  Sleepwalkin'?  Perhaps.)

Spinless

« Reply #28 on: 13 Feb 2007, 07:42 »

Fuck you Sam, I was saving that one. Asshole.

Really, Ugly Casanova=Better
But also
Ugly Casanova=Completely and totally different

Listen to Ugly Casanova right after The Moon and Antartica, because you're listenning to everything in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER.
That way, when you get to the new stuff, the punch hurts really really bad.
I will skull fuck anybody who does not start from the beginning.

Opinions in the music forum are not something I contribute very often, but this time it's IMPORTANT.
If you're going to listen to modest mouse, do it PROPERLY.
That means FROM THE BEGINNING.
Or I will FUCK YOU IN THE EYE SOCKET.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #29 on: 13 Feb 2007, 17:48 »

Except that the chronological order is messy because Sad Sappy Sucker is technically their earliest stuff but wasn't officially released until 2001ish. Or did you cover that already??

Either way, I need to get myself a copy of The Lonesome Crowded West. Sometimes relying on your girlfriend's album collection is bad, especially when you break up and never see each other again. I also need a copy of Ugly Casanova. Speaking of which, didn't Brock make up the whole story about the guy breaking into his house and leaving lyrics or whatever??

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #30 on: 14 Feb 2007, 04:07 »

I "bought" the Modest Mouse discography and got some Ugly Casanova with it. This pleased me.

Spinless

« Reply #31 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:59 »

Yes he did Mr Gregs sir. His little way of avoiding taking writing credits. He made up an entire persona and claimed he didn't write the songs. Something I think he started LONG before Ugly Casanova became realised as a musical project.

As for the chronological order thing, I forgot about that. Skip it.

Merkava

« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2007, 09:41 »

I would recommend skipping Sad Happy Sucker for now. Start from the beginning. If I hadn't listened to any of MM's early stuff, they wouldn't be up there with my all-time favorite bands. Going from Good News to The Moon & Antarctica was a bit too jarring; the first half, I thought, was sort of lacking. There are some really great songs (3rd Planet, Perfect Disguise), but the production kind of cheesed up the others for me. When it gets to the middle (the "drag" as some call it; I prefer "best part of the album"), the band seems to really get it together. Everything else after that is golden.

But, I'd say that This is a Long Drive..., Lonesome Crowded West, and Building Nothing Out of Something are incredible pieces of music---a bit harsher---but overall more affecting.

strangeparallel

« Reply #33 on: 15 Mar 2007, 10:48 »

Come on, there has to be someone other than me who likes their recent stuff.  Anyone?

I'm with you bro.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #34 on: 17 Mar 2007, 04:56 »

The thing is, you guys are now all forcing your opinion that he should start at the beginning on this guy. But really, the songs that he likes are "Float On", and "Ocean Breathes Salty". These songs are pretty accessible, whereas earlier Modest Mouse... well, it's not just less accessible, it's pretty much inaccessible.

I recommend you start with listening more from the album those two songs are from ("Good News For People Who Love Bad News") and maybe some stuff from their latest album ("We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank") like "We've Got Everything". Also, some of the first tracks from "The Moon & Antarctica" may tickle your fancy. Then, cautiously work your way back to the beginning (with a few exceptions: you should definately get the tracks "Dramamine", "Sleepwalking" and "Long Distance Drunk" right away because those are awesome). Generally, earlier Modest Mouse takes a few listens to appreciate, so don't give up if the first listen turns you off.

Of course, this may not apply to you if you like bands like The Pixies or The Clash. If you like those, you can probably jump right in anywhere you like and you'll find something to enjoy.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #35 on: 17 Mar 2007, 08:07 »

You really think that early Modest Mouse is inaccessible?! Christ, their music is not that challenging.

Spinless

« Reply #36 on: 17 Mar 2007, 09:06 »

I gotta say, I find the Lonesome Crowded West the most accessible album. A lot of those songs are pretty damn poppy, but there's a few crazy tracks too, and listenning to those for the first time will make you feel cool. Honest.

No really though honestly now like. Early modest mouse had the right balance of 'pop' and 'what the hell is he doing with that whammy bar'.
TMAA was confused and difficult. But I have a personal problem with the albun, the songs are actually great. GNFPWLBN was at it's best when Isaac brock was playing a banjo instead of a guitar, and I'm pretty sure that's not the first thing people think of when they think 'modest mouse'.
The fact is this.
All modest mouse albums have had catchy pop songs on them.
Even the 'old' ones.
The thing is, on the old ones, those pop songs are even better.
The more I listen to the new album, the more I agree with Kieffer about the overproduction flatlining some of the songs. But it's still much better than the production on TMAA.

This thread should have dropped off the frontpage by now. Infact, I'm sure it has. Several times. We're just reiterating the same points over and over. I'm sure the guy has checked out most modest mouse by now, let's talk about another band now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up