THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 18:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Games with terrible endings  (Read 69569 times)

Cagia

Re: Games with terrible endings
« Reply #150 on: 09 May 2008, 02:38 »

Worst Game Ending 3: I'm with the KotOR II guys, if you can even class it as an ending.

Worst Game Ending 2: Halo 2 was frustrating as not only did I have to deal with a shitty cliff-hanger, I had to pull shards of controller out of my foot... No joke.

But the one game that really cheesed me off was Psychonauts.

It was such a fun game. You could set squirrels on fire with your mind; you’re a 300' tall monster rampaging through a city full of lungfish at one point and the pure brilliance of the Milkman Conspiracy (I am a grieving widow, see my flowers). There were just to many good things in that game.

Yet, the last few levels are impossibly difficult, with a very unfulfilling ending. It ruined an almost perfect game!

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #151 on: 09 May 2008, 15:10 »

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Halo 3.  If I wanted Halo's ending, I'd play Halo.

And know what else sucked, Legend of Zelda: Ocarnia of Time.  You save Hyrule, only to miss the fucking party.  Instead you get zapped back to a teeny little kid, without getting any. I mean you saved the fucking Kingdom.  Mario gets the action, but Link?  Noooooo.  He gets to be a little kid again.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Fletch

« Reply #152 on: 10 May 2008, 02:41 »

Personally, I feel like most games miss the target with their endings.
Dead or Alive (4? xbox 360) suprised me by having a cheesy-cool rock credit finish.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #153 on: 10 May 2008, 10:26 »

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Halo 3.  If I wanted Halo's ending, I'd play Halo.

And know what else sucked, Legend of Zelda: Ocarnia of Time.  You save Hyrule, only to miss the fucking party.  Instead you get zapped back to a teeny little kid, without getting any. I mean you saved the fucking Kingdom.  Mario gets the action, but Link?  Noooooo.  He gets to be a little kid again.

OoT ending pissed me off. Link has no home! He's not Kokori and now he knows this, and plus, that damned tree is still dead, and he's still held responsible. He goes through hell, realizes most of his childhood is a lie, saves the kingdom, puts up with Ruto's advances, and gets shot down.

The way OoT should have ended.

Zelda: I feel bad for all I put you through, so I'm sending you back to when you where ten.

Link: You're kidding right? I just fought a giant pig with sword for hands, and chicks dig me now. Fuck you. Lets shag.

THE END

that's it minus the shag line.

Mario Galaxies, just cause the game was awesome, but I had no clue what the ending was about.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #154 on: 12 May 2008, 17:40 »

Flood: you bring Quiffy through a world of platform game danger, all the while chased by a ghost while the levels fill up with water and in the end he climbs up a manhole to freedom..and is squashed by a truck.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #155 on: 12 May 2008, 21:25 »

Yet, the last few levels are impossibly difficult, with a very unfulfilling ending. It ruined an almost perfect game!

Are you kidding? You're kidding.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #156 on: 12 May 2008, 22:25 »

The ending from Tetris Worlds should Make Alexei Pajitnov angrier than a russian geek being kept fromo his favourite addicting game.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #157 on: 13 May 2008, 18:18 »

The ending to Shadow Of The Colossus kind of annoyed me.

Only the ending bugged you?  Dude if the ending bugged you I'd assume that the entire storyline of the game bugged you. The whole point of the game is to create the storyline YOURSELF....do what you want.  Read some of the theories on the web...they're freaking insane.

OcculusExInferni

« Reply #158 on: 13 May 2008, 23:57 »

I thought the ending exposition to Starcraft: Broodwars was weaker than it needed to be.  Granted, its a cliff hanger.  I get that.  But seriously, green text saying "Kerrigan stood uneasily staring out at the edge of the galaxy" is up there with "Hey! Listen!".  At least an FMV of a shadowy new type of ship or some such would have ended it so much better.  Not that it matters with II coming out, but still.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #159 on: 14 May 2008, 00:09 »

The ending of HoMM V: Tribes of the East was pretty horrible. I mean, of course it is somewhat understandable that factions, of whom some had been in serious quarrels previously, temporarily combined their forces against a greater evil. But no, in HoMM, these former rivals are laughing and joking with each others after defeating the demons. No hostilities to be seen! I mean, could it be any more of a cheesy Hollywood ending?

teh pwn queen

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Capiam vos in obscurum
    • Just fucking click it
« Reply #160 on: 14 May 2008, 03:25 »

The ending for Resistance: Fall of Man was a real let down.  With the way the last level played out, you think you're going to do a 'get the hell out of dodge' sequence to wrap up the game.  But no, it just ends with some dudes fleeing the crumbling building to get on the plane with the narrator after the reactor core is destroyed... but does Nathan Hale, the main character, make it? NO! They're not even sure is the protagonist made it out alive. 
Which totally ruins the whole idea, here's a guy who had a rare resistance to the Chimera virus, doesn't turn into a baddy, can do all sorts of things, but can't make it out alive? Kind of an inconsistancy of characteristics (Note: This is with the assumption that he is indeed dead, which I think he is).
And the final boss wasn't even a bad guy, it was just that frickin' reactor thing mentioned before... didn't even have a bad ass chimera mutant thing for me to beat up on.
So, like most games, the gameplay was great, but the ending lacked the resolution the game needed.
I haven't logged in on the forum in literally 10 years and my website URL was still my MySpace profile...

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #161 on: 14 May 2008, 04:51 »

I thought the ending exposition to Starcraft: Broodwars was weaker than it needed to be.  Granted, its a cliff hanger.  I get that.  But seriously, green text saying "Kerrigan stood uneasily staring out at the edge of the galaxy" is up there with "Hey! Listen!".  At least an FMV of a shadowy new type of ship or some such would have ended it so much better.  Not that it matters with II coming out, but still.

I thought the ending was that cutscene in a Terran bunker where that one guy is typing a letter to his family, says goodbye, and then the screen goes black right before he shoots himself?

Or is that the end to the Terran campaign, or something.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #162 on: 14 May 2008, 08:14 »

Actually, he was in a battlecruiser, I think. But yes, the Kerrigan-part is followed by DuGalle shooting himself, after which that green text appears (BTW, I think the worst/most hilarious part of that ending was the part of the green text that said something along these lines: "Raynor and Zeratul went to search for Duran and were never heard of again" or something like that).

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #163 on: 14 May 2008, 12:40 »

No, I definitely remember him being in a bunker, since zerglings and hydralisks were attacking.  Not really much those things could do against a battlecruiser.

The ending to Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando was so much worse than what it could have been.  There's some intergalactic threat that gets averted because they figure out what's wrong with this one gadget the good guys invented: "the batteries are in backwards!"

It was chuckle-worthy at most, but after how sorta funny the game was I figured the ending would either be pretty hilarious, or striking that, gratifying of the fact that you just beat the game.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #164 on: 14 May 2008, 14:10 »

I JUST beat God of War: Chains of Olympus and I have to say the ending was really......really weird.  You see exactly why Kratos hates the gods and yet I sat there scratching my head and going "ok......years of pain and anguish for the promise of erasing your past or........happiness.  Is it REALLY that freaking hard to choose Kratos?"  The game direction itself was pretty fantastic but I'm still kind of frightened by how Kratos never gets fazed by anything....ever.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #165 on: 14 May 2008, 16:02 »

No, I definitely remember him being in a bunker, since zerglings and hydralisks were attacking.  Not really much those things could do against a battlecruiser.

Noooo...he was in a battlecruiser, headed back to Earth to report on the Terran colonies. He shoots himself and then you see swarms of Scourge and Mutalisks descending on the fleet.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #166 on: 14 May 2008, 17:29 »

Yeah, a dozen hydralisks can totally destroy a battlecruiser.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #167 on: 15 May 2008, 04:56 »

Noooo...he was in a battlecruiser, headed back to Earth to report on the Terran colonies. He shoots himself and then you see swarms of Scourge and Mutalisks descending on the fleet.

Well then.  Seeing as I never actually owned Brood War, I can believe that I didn't remember it right.  Either way that shit was pretty awesome.

Yeah, a dozen hydralisks can totally destroy a battlecruiser.

Not if the Terran player is doing it right.

Scruffy

• The Janitor
« Reply #168 on: 06 Jun 2008, 06:41 »

Freelancer
This game has always been one of my all time favorites, but even after a very nice ending, you've only explored like 5% of the galaxy and the rest is basically unfinished.  After the last quest your left thinking, "Thats it?"  OH COME ON!

Honestly, thats the best I can come up with.  I guess I've blocked out all my memories of the bad endings.

MKH90

« Reply #169 on: 06 Jun 2008, 07:45 »

Super Mario Bros. 2, Need For Speed Underground, and others with (day)dream endings cause massive outbreaks of CKD(Crush, Kill, Destroy)-syndrome.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #170 on: 07 Jun 2008, 10:51 »

I could have sworn that I'd had a rant about freelancer in this thread before. The gist of it is that I'm not even sure that I did finish it, but I'm pretty sure I ran out of story so I think I did. It's wierd though because there's a whole lot more world to explore and there is background to it and what looked like it could be a neat twist and a tie in with other games, but I just never got to it story-wise. I'm gonna have to borrow that game once again, just to be sure.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Scruffy

• The Janitor
« Reply #171 on: 09 Jun 2008, 06:26 »

Exactly!

/Right now I'm pretending Mass Effect is the other half of Freelancer.  It's working out nicely, even if it is delusional.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #172 on: 09 Jun 2008, 07:56 »

Ok, so I played through Freelancer again. Wow, I forgot just how rich that world was. Unfortunately it just made it all the more disappointing when you complete the last mission and they just throw you back out into the world as though nothing had even happened. The other main character says something about "There'll be a lot of re-building to do back home" in the final cutscene. There isn't. You spawn back on Planet Manhattan and nothing has changed.

Well, I suppose at least they've left us with some great prime fiction for a sequel or other games unrelated except that they happen in the same world. There's a lot more potential here left to be explored.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #173 on: 09 Jun 2008, 19:54 »

Dunno if anyone mentioned this, but http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWinnerIsYou pretty much every game on that list. Some I've played, most I just read through and got annoyed at.
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #174 on: 10 Jun 2008, 09:07 »

Wow, that's quite a list.  Nice of him to elucidate exactly what the deal was with all of them.  (Kinda makes this thread irrelevant though, which is kinda sad.)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #175 on: 10 Jun 2008, 14:30 »

By some stroke of luck, I had about 3 hours to kill today at work.  That site is like a Wikipedia that only has cool stuff in it.  I ended up killing an extra half hour.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

billiumbean

• "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #176 on: 11 Jun 2008, 22:00 »

Halo 2 - Seriously?  I never really liked the Halo series as much as the nerd next to me claims that I should have.  There's this super android with a crackly, mysterious, purposefully badass voice who's lines are so cliche and embarrassingly (insert adjective for "hooray my penis is very very large!"), it's not much of a cliffhanger when he say, trumpets and brass backing him up, "Sir...  FINISHING this fight."  Da-nanana-nanana-nana-naaaaa!!  I lol'd.

Shenmue 2 - Hella loved that game like a brother.  I felt so immersed in the story and the culture of it all.  Then he sleeps in a cave with some weird chick...  He's in a dank cavern...  He puts the phoenix mirror into a slot like he's playing Pac-Man...  And a sword floats out of a rock in front of him...  Credits!  And the next thing you know, my dog dies, lightning strikes my house, and my clothes are all eaten my termites.  It was that bad.

Enter the Matrix - I actually enjoyed this game.  Yeah, I used the cheat codes, but you kind of have to.  Anyway, the ending was basically you shooting off Sentinels like it's a 3D version of Space Invaders, and your ship crashes, end.  The only resolve is that in the Matrix Revolutions they find and jumpstart the ship.  Hoo-fuckity-ray, they aren't dead, I CAN HAS MOAR GAEM NAO, PLS?
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

ackblom12

« Reply #177 on: 11 Jun 2008, 22:22 »

Enter the Matrix - I actually enjoyed this game.  Yeah, I used the cheat codes, but you kind of have to.

Personally I thought the game was fairly easy without cheats. Teh cheats just added a little extra bad ass to the mix.

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #178 on: 11 Jun 2008, 22:36 »

The ending for Shenmue 2 wouldn't be nearly as bad if there was even the remote chance that they were ever possibly going to consider to begin thinking about making Shenmue 3.

*sigh* It would have been awesome.

billiumbean

• "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #179 on: 11 Jun 2008, 22:38 »

Enter the Matrix - I actually enjoyed this game.  Yeah, I used the cheat codes, but you kind of have to.

Personally I thought the game was fairly easy without cheats. Teh cheats just added a little extra bad ass to the mix.
That's what I meant.  The cheats made you like Neo, in a way.  Regular mode, you ran and hid a lot to regenerate your health and your focus.
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #180 on: 11 Jun 2008, 22:43 »

Man if they made a Shenmue 3 it would be like a billion dollars to make and take longer than Duke Nukem Forever. Fuck that.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

billiumbean

• "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #181 on: 12 Jun 2008, 17:44 »

Man if they made a Shenmue 3 it would be like a billion dollars to make and take longer than Duke Nukem Forever. Fuck that.
Unless they passed it on to a bigger company.  But then it wouldn't be the same...

I guess we can only hope that they've been making Shenmue 3 in secret for the past four years and that they'll announce it's release in a few months...

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #182 on: 12 Jun 2008, 23:24 »

Except Shenmue is overrated and was never that great to begin with.

Yeah, I said it.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

billiumbean

• "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #183 on: 13 Jun 2008, 15:05 »

Except Shenmue is overrated and was never that great to begin with.

Yeah, I said it.
Shun the non-believer!

Shhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnah!

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #184 on: 14 Jun 2008, 10:42 »

The Ending to MGS4.

Terrible in the fact that nothing about it makes you happy. At all.

I almost cried.

It's also about an hour long.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #185 on: 14 Jun 2008, 12:17 »

What the fuck, you've finished it already? That's insane.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #186 on: 15 Jun 2008, 09:27 »

The Ending to MGS4.

Terrible in the fact that nothing about it makes you happy. At all.

I almost cried.

It's also about an hour long.

Dude, it's the last game in a series by fucking Hideo Kojima.  None of this should surprise you.

legion329

« Reply #187 on: 16 Jun 2008, 21:50 »

I came in this thread just to see if there was a post about MGS4. I loved the ending, and if you expected something happy you really don't know Kojima.

Farewell, Solid Snake, and thanks for 20 years of memories. /salute

Tenebrais

« Reply #188 on: 17 Jun 2008, 04:05 »

Overlord. You are constantly referred to as being the evil one and yet throughout the game you have to go out of your way to do any actual evil. The game ends with you killing the main bad guy. It just doesn't make sense.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #189 on: 17 Jun 2008, 07:56 »

Y'know what else doesn't make sense?
The entire fucking series. I have played, to varying extent, all MGS titles, and I can't understand the plot to ANY of them. I checked Wikipedia and it throws around more names than Seagal throws around henchmen.

That being said, if someone ever donated a PS3 to me, I'd buy all the MGS games and play them through again.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #190 on: 17 Jun 2008, 08:31 »

I'm replaying MGS for Playstation right now. I would say any given story arc contained within the game/s is pretty easy to follow, it's when you start to encompass the entire MGS storyline is when it starts to getting completely fucking weird and hard to follow.

Oh, guys, fission mailed.

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #191 on: 17 Jun 2008, 08:40 »

Not played, watched. That game beats any movie that has come out in the last year.

And maybe it's because I'm used to having the hero who has gone through the worst shit storm I've ever seen in gaming have at least a bit of a happy ending, I was hoping for something. I guess there is, in a sense. But still, I was hoping for "here's a magical way to make you not look like a grandpa anymore".....despite how far-fetched and fleeting that hope is.

though the depressing shit was probably made worse by the fact that there is some rather funny moments in this game. And I'm not talking about Kojima breaking the forth wall.....which he does.....quite a bit.

And MGS4 explains everything......and I mean,everything Nearly every loose thread, or thing that didn't make sense, or things that just seemed fucking insane. All of it, explained, in detail. Going from the Original Metal Gear up. There are revelations in this game that make me paranoid that everything has been planned out from the beginning.  And a story line fleshed out through 20+ years, is fucking epic.

Any my friend works at a gamestore. They got it early, he checked it out. He beat it the day of launch.

I love my friend.

ackblom12

« Reply #192 on: 17 Jun 2008, 16:26 »

Overlord. You are constantly referred to as being the evil one and yet throughout the game you have to go out of your way to do any actual evil. The game ends with you killing the main bad guy. It just doesn't make sense.

This doesn't compute. What doesn't make sense about killing off your competition while also using it as an excuse for revenge?

ackblom12

« Reply #193 on: 17 Jun 2008, 16:59 »

Well, to be fair he was an overlord, not just a murderous asshole.

I mean,I'll give ya that the ending was kinda meh, but I didn't really feel like I had to go out of my way to murder peasants and steal all of their shit and then beat them all back into a praising submission. There was also the matter of burning the Life Tree in the Elven forest just because it was easier, or choosing a few thousand gold over the entire Elven Race.

Lord that game was fun.

Fletch

« Reply #194 on: 18 Jun 2008, 22:34 »

When I started playing Overlord, I thought, "Goblins! Must get something scarier & more evil later."
Then I started helping villagers & saving elves, etc... and I started wondering who actually thought this guy was evil.
I started again, with the objective of achieving some actual Evil-Overlord-ing. It doesn't work.
Every other evil person in the game gets to do cool stuff, and you just go around killing them all while deciding whether to be nice or selfish.

*edit* I'll give that burning the glade was well done - and I was genuinely suprised when I realised all that green, green grass was flammable. :evil: So was the unicorn.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2008, 22:36 by Fletch »

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #195 on: 19 Jun 2008, 14:53 »

I came in this thread just to see if there was a post about MGS4. I loved the ending, and if you expected something happy you really don't know Kojima.

Farewell, Solid Snake, and thanks for 20 years of memories. /salute

So you came in this thread just because you were expecting a negative post about MGS4, so that you could defend it? That doesn't scream fanboy at all.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #196 on: 19 Jun 2008, 15:56 »

You can't call an ending terrible if the whole game was terrible, too. Solid Snake has a mustache, therefor the entire game is terrible.

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #197 on: 20 Jun 2008, 09:04 »

Burt Reynolds is going to kick your ass for that.

Though now I fear that if there is a MGS movie, they will get Burt Reynolds to play old snake.

And that thought is terrifing

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #198 on: 20 Jun 2008, 11:53 »

I think I just ruined the game for some people. Rightly so.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #199 on: 20 Jun 2008, 15:11 »

Oh I like where this is going.

Q: What happens 2 hours after you combine large doses of fibre and Mexican food?
A: A solid snake.

Also, I heard Konami was considering making expansion packs for Sons of the Patriots. Plastic Gear, Clay Gear, Rubber Gear...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up