THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Games with terrible endings  (Read 68544 times)

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Games with terrible endings
« Reply #200 on: 21 Jun 2008, 04:47 »

Hahah, this page and the post just before it are funny because I just saw the ending to MGS4 and came here to see what you guys thought about it.
Great ending to a great series.

legion329

« Reply #201 on: 22 Jun 2008, 15:51 »

I came in this thread just to see if there was a post about MGS4. I loved the ending, and if you expected something happy you really don't know Kojima.

Farewell, Solid Snake, and thanks for 20 years of memories. /salute

So you came in this thread just because you were expecting a negative post about MGS4, so that you could defend it? That doesn't scream fanboy at all.

Yeah, that's what I did. And yes, it does. Any further questions? I did sort of fumble up there, but I didn't mean to sound like I came here just to defend it. I came here to see what the perspective from a negative standpoint was. Can we still be friends?

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #202 on: 25 Jun 2008, 12:36 »

A Winner is You
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Ludovician

« Reply #203 on: 03 Jul 2008, 02:40 »

Metal Gear Solid 2, not 4, had a terrible ending.

You talk about your games where nothing is resolved, Jesus. Especially once you learn what's happened to Raiden in the interum - the entire game is simply one depressing moment after another. MGS 4 had some of this as well, but it balanced it with some pretty triumphant moments as well, and the sad ones were poignant. Whodathunk that Ocelot's double finger guns and "you're pretty good" would ever evoke even a single manly tear? MGS 4 = GREAT ending.

But MGS 2 - even the final "twist" in the post-credits dialogue turns out to be a red herring. And the whole real-clips-of-people-walking-around-New-York thing feels forced and patronizing, and generally like a sad excuse for a game that doesn't have a real ending, no real cadence point to resolve with. The game itself was fun, but in retrospect, MGS 2 stands out to me as the series weak point for a lot of reasons.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #204 on: 03 Jul 2008, 20:18 »

From what I can recall Shinobi for the PS2 had a really lame ending. It was a fun game and all (it always bothers me when a game uses the same damn monsters for every level and just recolors them) but wasn't very generous with its storyline.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #205 on: 07 Jul 2008, 15:42 »

Twilight Princess

Again, excellent game, fun boss battles, nice story running up until... the end. 

Midna:  Yeah, I'm not an ugly little troll, I'm actually hawt, but I still have that annoying voice.
Zelda: Midna, I know your intentions and your-
Midna: Yes, I know, I just hope you get the love I have for short, buff, and green here.  Link, see you again. *Midna shatters the mirror and goes home*
Zelda: Link, seriously, you're like the shortest dude I've ever seen.  How the hell did you get all that work done?
Link:  ... *Rides home crying, Ilia is waiting for him, and... *
The End

Link is the unluckiest guy with princesses.  I mean, Mario gets the action at the end of every game, but not Link.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
  • The pheasant has no agenda
« Reply #206 on: 07 Jul 2008, 15:55 »

Solitaire

I mean, what can I say? There's all that plot, all that exposition! The tension and fear and pain and then...

The cards do a little dance. Deal again?

Elite and Elite II: Frontier. Both games with tiresome endings.
Unique Quarks - For when Antimatter just isn't destructive enough.

himynameisjulien

« Reply #207 on: 07 Jul 2008, 19:42 »

The Ending to MGS4.

Terrible in the fact that nothing about it makes you happy. At all.

I almost cried.

It's also about an hour long.
If you almost cried, I'd say that's pretty good writing. Evoking emotion is one of the main purposes of art.
It was long, yes, but that (the abundance of cutscenes) was what made it such a fun and awesome game. They didn't slack one bit on the story. It reminded me of a really well-done movie, except the cliché of Snake saving everyone literally seconds before they were going to die. Aside from that, that's the best ending I have ever seen in a video game. Don't start naming video games with good endings, because I haven't played every game ever.

Fletch

« Reply #208 on: 07 Jul 2008, 23:10 »

Alone in the Dark?
I really liked playing the game because of the inventory & things like blasting doors open. (I wish there was more with the physics, like barricades or something)
Unfortunately the last chapter boiled down to getting screwed one way or another and then the game ends. I was expecting something some apocalyptic finale with the lightbringer, or Crowley ... or someone. Every earlier boss had a bigger climax.

Roivas

• Emoticontraindication
Arrogance and ignorance rolled into one sexy package
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up