Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 24 Jan 2022, 03:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: This Ain't A Console War, It's a Genocide (Sales Figures! Ooooh!)  (Read 25732 times)

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents

I love my 360. I think Microsoft did absolutely everything right with the 360's design. XBL is the single best online gaming service in the entire history of video games. That's not even hyperbole. No one, neither on console nor PC, has ever managed the service Microsoft brought to the table.

But they also took no risks with the 360. XBL was an extension of the service they already had on the XBox. The controller was a modification of the S-Controller, redesigned to perfecton. Everything was just improvement of known technology.

Sony took a risk on Blu-ray and are suffering the consequences. Nintendo took a risk on control and are reaping the rewards.

I never played Zelda on GCN, so I enjoyed the Wii version as much as I could (I thought it was rubbish for reasons completely unrelated to the controls). I can't seem to get into RE4, but I haven't tried very hard. I thought Super Paper Mario, however, was one of the best games I've played in a while, though thats also unrelated to controls.

I don't think anyone's quite grasped the full potential of the device. I think the minigame games are similar to the ten trillion minigames put on the DS when it first game out. Simple, fun ideas for the controls separate from having to put a plot or any complexity around it. The DS is only recently being used to full potential, I think.

Metroid Prime 3 will be the first full Nintendo game made specifically for the console. I think that's the first appropriate place to start fully judging the control sysem on its advantages and disadvantages.
Oddly enough, I do agree with you here. But the thing is, why should we care if they're being daring? I mean, I'm for anti-conformity as the next person... But if something works, why not just improve on that until kingdom come? There are some things that revolutionize gaming and are needed... (Ex: From 2D -> 3D) I just personally don't think the whole remote thing is needed for gaming. It's a nice little add-on... But in my opinion, it will never-EVER make or break a console.

Heck, if it was some matrix virtual-reality shit, that would be needed revolution. Until then, I'd rather we stick to Evolution.

Just my opinion.

PostScript- From my experience, the fun I've received from trying to play RE is comparable to the pain you'd receive from fucking a meat grinder. Don't touch this one for the Wii(pick it up in a bargain bin for NGC or PS2, you'll have a blast), despite what IGN says. Honestly, one second you're strafing away from a zombie, the next you're suddenly looking at the ceiling. The controls are terrible on this compared to the NGC's. Zelda's controls weren't bad, but, again, I'm not the biggest Wiimote-Nunchuck fanatic.

Modification: I'm renting the Wii again come Smash Bros. Brawl. You can't not love a SB game.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2007, 21:33 by Chrasstor »

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

Dude I haven't had as much fun playing a game in a long time as I did the first ten minutes playing Resident Evil 4. Motherfuckers cross me and I end them.

However you have a point in one spot, and that is that sales do not equal quality. Millions of people saw Norbit.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury

RE4 on the Wii was the most fun I have had playing a computer game since the mid 90s.

If they produce another few titles of that quality, I won't be complaining.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

You should try reading a thread before jumping into it, pretty much every one of your judgments on the Wii has been addressed and torn assunder already and I'll avoid going into detail on them, as I've already done so.

Suffice to say, sales don't generally equal quality, but it tends to lean that way on something this expensive. Sure, it's cheaper than the others, but $250 is still a decent chunk of change to most adults. Few people are going to drop that kind of money in those kind of numbers on something like that. Millions of people buy shitty albums and see shitty movies because they cost about ten bucks a pop. Ten million people are not going to go out and spend $250 plus tax on something that is reputably shit.

In terms of the minigame nature, that's been explained to death. No one expected the Wii to be a runaway success. It's actually been stated by multiple developers that it's the easiest to develop games for (With the PS3, allegedly, being a beast to develop for due to the complex and overly advanced tech). That said, it still takes time to develop quality titles. The installed userbase is already there, now that it's in place, developers are chomping at the bit to develop for it.

In terms of Resident Evil 4, you are quite obviously insane. You are the first and only person I've met who claims either of the prior versions is superior. If you can't keep the reticle straight, you're either really bad or you've got parkinson's or something. I've never, in eighteen years of gaming, encountered a more intuitive and well polished control scheme. Resident Evil 4 proved that the Wii control scheme can be used to accomplish great things and soon enough, it'll yeild results.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

Man. I gave RE4 another go. I think I just don't want to play the game for the ten trillionth time. The controls are fine, though. Fast and accurate. I love being able to aim that fast. Shoot a fucker in the head, then while he's recovering, pop a couple in his ass. Delicious.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki

Exactly. That game's overall appeal and whether one is sick of it is entirely subjective, but there really is no way to say those are bad or inefficient controls. They really took what was a phenomenal game and somehow made it better.

I myself never seem to tire of it. When I first got it for Gamecube, I played through it a full four or five times before I found myself able to part with it for a bit. Then I'd still pick it up and play little bits occasionally (Until my dog ate one of the discs). As soon as the Wii edition was announced, I pretty much stopped playing so it would seem at least a little fresh when I innevitably tried it out and I was not disappointed.
JON MADE ME GAY

ScrambledGregs

I don't know why everybody is so surprised and pissed off that the Wii ended up being aimed at casual gamers and bringing people who don't normally play games into the industry. I mean, even back when it was called the Revolution and they first showed off the controller, they were making it clear that they wanted your mom and dad to play videogames.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury

Right. I've never bought a games console before but I bought a Wii because I admire the innovation and it is also relatively cheap for what it does.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

ScrambledGregs

The big thing for me is the price. The jump from $200/$300 consoles to this generation's $400/$500/$600 consoles means I, and many other people, are less inclined to buy the consoles. Then we have the whole PS3/360 games being $60 instead of $50 or below, and you're spending even more money on videogames that for all intents and purposes aren't worth the money because they're pretty much last gen experiences with tarted up graphics and online play.

I'm not casting doubts on Sony or Microsoft's game plans because they're going with what has worked for them in the past. However there is a point where bigger and better does not actually equal bigger and better. It's hilarious to me that both companies think they, too, can bring casual gamers onto their side even though for Average Joe Human Being, a $250 console with $30-$50 games is always going to win out over a $500 console with $60 games.

The portable wars are a whole 'nother can of worms because while Sony seems to be realizing that they can't make the PSP a genuine portable Playstation because home console experiences don't translate well/don't belong on portable gaming systems, they're also going to release a redesigned PSP that has TV out. So, yeah...

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

The problem with the TV out is that a game played on the PSP will still be in the resolution meant for the PSP's screen, which would look like shit on an ordinary TV, and even worse on a bigass HDTV. That being said, I hope Sony doesn't pull a PS3 on this and jack up the price of the redesign to 250 or whatever, because if the God of War game is amazing like the other two and the ports of the first two Star Ocean games aren't broken, I'll probably begrudgingly cough up for a PSP.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

0bsessions

• Quiki

It's official:

[urlhttp://www.vgchartz.com/]The Wii has surpassed the Xbox 360 in worldwide sales.[/url] It took them less than nine full months to do it.
JON MADE ME GAY

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...

(you're missing an equal sign there, 0b.)
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

JanusKain

Some of my points in this post have been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I shall repeat them with my main point.  Developers want to target as many people as possible with the games that they produce, and this creates many issues.  One of the most expensive things in a video game can be the art assets.  This means that the common goal is to be able to use the same assets on every platform that a game is released on.  With this being the case, people who buy a console want the games that they get to be pushing the boundries of the system.  When making a game for the PS3 or 360 you can use the same assets because the systems are so close together in performance capabilities.  But you would not want to use the same assets you use for the Wii on these consoles, because your game may appear to be dated.  Now, this does not mean that games won't come out on all 3 platforms.  It does mean, however, that when chosing the "low point" for the console, a developer can make the game and the assets for the 360 and then fairly easily make it work on a PS3 or PC.  This is made even more easy when licensing an engine which is capable of cross platform production.  It can really be as easy as changing a flag to make the game work on multiple platforms if your assets are within system limitations.

I'm not trying to say that the Wii is a bad system or won't ever see the same quality of games as other systems, I'm just trying to point out some considerations.  When a developer is making a game for an adult market, like a Grand Theft Auto, they can be fairly certain that a large number of people who own a PC, 360, or PS3 and consider themselves gamers will be spread out across the 3 platforms.  So when they want to make the game, and have the option to make it across all 3 and have it look like a current generation game, they will most likely take that path.  This does mean though, that the Wii is a more likely target for a game when the developer is trying to hit a wide range of people with a lower production cost.

That is by far the smartest move that Nintendo made with the Wii and deciding to stay out of the console race.  The system is far cheaper to produce games that look as good as first part games, and with the recent sales numbers it has a large target audience.  Those does mean though, that most games for the Wii will be targeting the wide range of players.  Don't expect something like Ninja Gaiden to show up on the Wii, the market of "hardcore gamers" is pretty well established in the 360 and PS3.

That is all I have to add to this conversation, I hope I have not bored anyone with my long string of thoughts. 
 :-D
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up