THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 00:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 86   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar Topic  (Read 1975510 times)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Re: The Guitar Topic
« Reply #1150 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:00 »

I've tried those before, and I didn't really like them. The jump in gauge between the top and bottom three strings felt weird to me.

Back when I had my soloist (sniffle goddamnit why why why did I sell that thing) I had it tuned to drop-b (drop-C only a half step higher...no it wasn't my idea, it was the other guitarist in the band) and put .12 gauge jazz sets on it. Having a wound G string is fucking INTENSE. Makes you feel like the dude from High on Fire.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1151 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:04 »

I've tried those before, and I didn't really like them. The jump in gauge between the top and bottom three strings felt weird to me.

Back when I had my soloist (sniffle goddamnit why why why did I sell that thing) I had it tuned to drop-b (drop-C only a half step higher...no it wasn't my idea, it was the other guitarist in the band) and put .12 gauge jazz sets on it. Having a wound G string is fucking INTENSE. Makes you feel like the dude from High on Fire.

The 11 gauge sets from Dean Markley come with two different G strings. The set I just put on my AEX500 works smartly with a wound G. But I don't do alt tunings.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1152 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:05 »

I strongly recommend a Light Top//heavy Bottom set, like the Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's.

Good sir, are you perhaps referring to these?

Among others, yes.
I had my Ibanez RG1570 tuned to Drop C with those for a short while. It worked very nice! That said, me and Drop C just don't get along.

That must be a pretty darned good feeling, especially considering the Pikester probably wouldn't touch a soloist with a ten foot pole.
I do prefer the unwound G though, but still with a bit of grit to it.

For my Les Paul, I tune down to Eb with a set that goes 11 14 20 30 42 52.. Works prefectly for me.

Jasper

« Reply #1153 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:12 »

NEW TOPIC OF DISCUSSION BITCHES

After I get my Valveking, I'm getting a new guitar. Who knows anything about 7 strings?

What's your budget ?

It will be a fairly serious investment for me, so probably about a grand, give or take a few hundred. Also, it HAS to be fixed bridge. I think Schecter looks like my best bet, but I don't really know a whole lot of 7 string manufacturers.

And about strings, I've been using light top heavy bottom sets for a while, just out of curiosity, what kind of tone do you get from heavy top strings? My G string feels a little floppy-stretchy (harharhar) playing some things, but if it sounds like crap I won't bother.
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2008, 16:22 by Jasper »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1154 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:17 »

Yeah I am pretty sure if Matt Pike sees a dude playing a Soloist he just looks at them and it renders them sterile for life.

Drop-C is a tricky tuning because it's riiiiight on the threshold where the lower frequencies and looser strings start to interact with the guitar's pickups in funny ways. My EMG-equipped ESP handles it beautifully since its pickups have such a tight (you might even say absent) bottom end to begin with, but my McCarty, which sounds valkyric* in standard or drop-D, just turns into midrangey mush.

My Standard 24 FINALLY settled into drop-C (stupid tremolo) and it sounds quite nice. Fatter and creamier than the ESP, but with better definition than the McCarty. Mixing the ESP and the 24 is now my default recording setup.

*Like angelic, only more badass.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1155 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:25 »

It will be a fairly serious investment for me, so probably about a grand, give or take a few hundred. Also, it HAS to be fixed bridge. I think Schecter looks like my best bet, but I don't really know a whole lot of 7 string manufacturers.

I don't have much experience with Schecters (although I played a USA-made one once that was awesome). I really like my Ibanez 7-string, but it's got a trem bridge so you wouldn't want it. Some other options for under a grand:

http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG7321

(note that the above is a 27" scale baritone)

The ESPs have better components than the ibanez, but they also have the dude from the Deftones' signature on them. Dunno if that'd be an issue for you.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1156 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:31 »

NEW TOPIC OF DISCUSSION BITCHES

After I get my Valveking, I'm getting a new guitar. Who knows anything about 7 strings?

What's your budget ?

I'd say Schecter too, then. With some luck, you can chase down a blowout of the '07 Blackjack- or Hellraiser-series and get one for cheap.
That's what I'm planning, at least. You have to admit this guitar looks damn classy:

Otherwise I'm with Jeph on the ESP's, but due to my disdain of EMG's I'll pass myself.

If you want a fixed bridge Ibanez, you can perhaps hunt down an RG7621 og 7421 on EvilBay, but they're DAMN rare.
That said, it is pretty easy to block a floating trem, with one of these:

www.tremol-no.com

I have one in my S-series sevenstring, and it's absolutely brilliant.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1157 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:36 »

You can also just wrap a 9-volt battery in electrical tape and wedge it between the trem and the inside of its routing cavity.

HELLA DIY, YO

Oh hey, are those actual Seymour Duncans in that Schecter? Go with that, then.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1158 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:39 »

You can also just wrap a 9-volt battery in electrical tape and wedge it between the trem and the inside of its routing cavity.

HELLA DIY, YO

Yes, But the tremol-no can let you switch the trem into full floating again at the turn of two finger screws. That's what's so brilliant about it :)

Plus, if you only use it as a blocker, it will be easier to get the trem sitting nice and level with it.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1159 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:40 »

That thing does look pretty cool. I like how it doesn't require any permanent modifications to the guitar to work.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1160 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:42 »

Having a wound G string is fucking INTENSE.

If you're never planning on bending a note on that G past 1/8 of a step, yeah it's intense. Trying to bend a note on a wound string with that much tension on it is like trying to squeeze a golf ball through your urethra. Sure, it might be possible, but do you really want to try it?
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1161 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:43 »

I bend wound Gs two whole steps all the time

With my cock

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1162 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:45 »

I bend wound Gs two whole steps all the time

With my cock

EDIT:

I tried to make a witty remark aimed at KimJongSick for being lame, but the remark itself was horrid and unfunny. Karma, I guess...
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2008, 16:53 by Lummer »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1163 on: 05 Feb 2008, 16:48 »

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN, JEPH, YOU KNOW THE POLICY

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1164 on: 05 Feb 2008, 17:08 »

If you're never planning on bending a note on that G past 1/8 of a step, yeah it's intense. Trying to bend a note on a wound string with that much tension on it is like trying to squeeze a golf ball through your urethra. Sure, it might be possible, but do you really want to try it?

Hmm I will give it a shot. I'm no hercules but I am a lefty that plays righty. But then I've never really gone for a specific note interval with a bend. After I put the set with the wound G on my yamaha I just commenced finger picking it like a banjo. Because that's what I do with that guitar.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Jasper

« Reply #1165 on: 05 Feb 2008, 17:42 »

HELLA DIY, YO

Oh hey, are those actual Seymour Duncans in that Schecter? Go with that, then.

Actually, the two guitars I've owned up to this point have been floating bridges, and I've blocked both of them. The mock 'liscenced' Floyd on my current one feels great for palm muting, so it's more that tolerable, but if given the chance to trade for an identical guitar with a fixed bridge I would do it right away. I have given an honest attemp to stick with the bridge floating, but after swapping strings I couldn't handle completely re-tuning every half hour. Yeah, I stretched the srings. Yeah, I corrected the tension for a higher guage string. Yeah, I hate it like I hate spiders or snakes or other various wiggly grossfuckers.

So yeah, no trem. I'll keep an eye out for 07 Blackjacks, or any other ones for that matter I guess. I just figured out my local music shop is supposed to carry Schecter, so next time I'm there I'll ask about avaliability. And my hands and fingers are HUGE, so I wouldn't mind a longer scale.

EDIT~

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C7-ATX-Electric-Guitar?sku=515766
HOLY SMOKES BONERGASM
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2008, 22:11 by Jasper »

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1166 on: 06 Feb 2008, 03:08 »

That is one nice-looking guitar!

However it is the 08 blackjack, with active pickups. They are called Blackouts, are made by Seymour Duncan, and the clips I've heard thus far sound pretty nice. Not as sterile as EMG's.

I'm still gunning for the 07 models, though, due to the passive Duncans they come with. The JB pickup in particular tickles my fancy.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1167 on: 06 Feb 2008, 12:59 »

On another topic, that sterility is what has always turned me off about PRS guitars. Maybe our self-gratifying friend Carlos has got his treble rolled all the way off on his shiny little PRS, but every post-1998 Santana song I have ever heard has no kick at all. It's just saying "Oh, hey, I'm here, but don't really mind me, I'm not really gonna get in the way." Man if you are playing lead you are SUPPOSED to be noticed. That's kindof the idea behind playing lead, idjit.

Jasper

« Reply #1168 on: 06 Feb 2008, 18:25 »

I have noticed that with all of his recent playing. The tone is so flat sounding, not my taste at all.

And on another note, does Ibanez make a single seven string without a trem? The only one I found is this-

It's got Dimarzio's. Anyone have experience with them?

EDIT - Sorry about the funky outline. It's because of the site layout. And also, I just remembered the fixed bride 7 Jeph posted to. But two seems a little low still? My guitar teacher advised me to get a Ibanez instead of a Schecter, mainly because of their long time doing 7's. Is he right to say that? Because right now it looks like I'm getting a Schecter sooner or later.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2008, 18:45 by Jasper »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1169 on: 06 Feb 2008, 19:33 »

Jeph wants to bomb the DiMarzio factory. I, for one, would like to procure all their TwangKing Tele pickups before he does so. After that, it is fair game.

Even then I would prefer Duncan Tele pickups. UNF

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1170 on: 07 Feb 2008, 10:24 »

The floppiness adds an added layer of awesome. It's like gravy on mashed potatoes.

That depends.

If you wanna play sludgy, dooooomy riffs, then it is practically required..

Anything more technical than "Iron Man", though, will be nigh-on impossible to play.

I dunno, I was mostly managing okay with 9s in Drop C, bro. I just wanted the less flappiness. I'll try it with tens and come back later.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hellion

« Reply #1171 on: 07 Feb 2008, 10:40 »

I have noticed that with all of his recent playing. The tone is so flat sounding, not my taste at all.

And on another note, does Ibanez make a single seven string without a trem? The only one I found is this-

PIC CHOP

It's got Dimarzio's. Anyone have experience with them?

EDIT - Sorry about the funky outline. It's because of the site layout. And also, I just remembered the fixed bride 7 Jeph posted to. But two seems a little low still? My guitar teacher advised me to get a Ibanez instead of a Schecter, mainly because of their long time doing 7's. Is he right to say that? Because right now it looks like I'm getting a Schecter sooner or later.

They make 2 that I am aware of,
This http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG7321
&
This http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=APEX2
The APEX2 is one of Munky's (korn) signature guitars if that means anything to you.
Dimarzio pup's always sounded a bit thin to me.
What ever you get just make sure it has at least a 25.5 inch scale.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #1172 on: 07 Feb 2008, 12:52 »

Out of curiousity, how long does it take playing guitar before you stop snickering at people referring to the G-string?

And what does a "sterile" sound sound like? Anyone got an example of that? Just post '98 Santana? That is post-Supernatural, right?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1173 on: 07 Feb 2008, 13:03 »

The APEX2 is one of Munky's (korn) signature guitars if that means anything to you.

Nothing good.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1174 on: 07 Feb 2008, 21:40 »

And what does a "sterile" sound sound like? Anyone got an example of that? Just post '98 Santana? That is post-Supernatural, right?

Listen to "Smooth" with Rob Thomas and you will know exactly what I'm talking about. When Brian May did it, it was cool, because he was doing something unique on the side of it. When Carlos Santana does it, it's just self-gratification with a Brian May tone, but none of the cool multi-tracked badassery.

Nodaisho

« Reply #1175 on: 08 Feb 2008, 06:30 »

As I recall, he used a Les Paul for that album. He used PRSs later. Or did he start partway through that album?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1176 on: 08 Feb 2008, 10:26 »

He's used PRS since the late 80s, I think. One of Paul's first custom guitars was hand-built for Santana.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Nodaisho

« Reply #1177 on: 08 Feb 2008, 11:00 »

I do remember seeing that most of it was made with a Les Paul, but in the MTV video for smooth, at least, the guitar is his PRS, as is the one used in Put Your Lights On. I guess the les paul thing was probably not true. I do like some of those songs off that album, my father has it.

So, am I right in surmising that a large part of whether you like guitars or not is personal taste, in which there is no right answer (other than mine)?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1178 on: 08 Feb 2008, 11:05 »

Optional theory:

PRS Singlecut.

And also: yes. If you like it, get it.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1179 on: 08 Feb 2008, 11:20 »

On another topic, that sterility is what has always turned me off about PRS guitars. Maybe our self-gratifying friend Carlos has got his treble rolled all the way off on his shiny little PRS, but every post-1998 Santana song I have ever heard has no kick at all. It's just saying "Oh, hey, I'm here, but don't really mind me, I'm not really gonna get in the way." Man if you are playing lead you are SUPPOSED to be noticed. That's kindof the idea behind playing lead, idjit.
And you think his early stuff didn't?   Face it, Santana's always been a hack.
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

Nodaisho

« Reply #1180 on: 08 Feb 2008, 11:28 »

Optional theory:

PRS Singlecut.

And also: yes. If you like it, get it.
I have seen singlecuts at $1300, compared to the 2800 I see online. Curse my brokeness.

Beast, I will stab your eyes out with my hair.

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #1181 on: 08 Feb 2008, 19:08 »

Dudes, I have no words for how nerdy and awesome this is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpZBQ7jXgI

just...wtach
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1182 on: 09 Feb 2008, 07:22 »

Ah yeah. I saw those dudes on Current TV the other night.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1183 on: 09 Feb 2008, 21:25 »

I can't exactly say that's really the most useful thing to do with your time. Have fun with your pentatonic scale there, sugar.

I, for one, am starting to want to get a steel guitar. Seriously? Listen to how they use it in this. It'd be worth the $700 for a good pedal steel to be able to do that kind of thing.

Aside from that I really want to make out with either one of them. Too bad for me that neither of them are straight.

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #1184 on: 09 Feb 2008, 22:16 »

Yeah, I've wanted a lap steel for a long time, but I can't see myself buying it until I have a lot of other things first. It's a pretty specific instrument, theres not too many things you can do with it - so it would only really get used occasionally.

So I guess I'll keep myself occupied just using a slide with my regular acoustic.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1185 on: 10 Feb 2008, 04:00 »

Lap steel and pedal steel are different things.

And if you think it's specific, you need to experiment more. I'm working on incorporating it into my space-metal band somehow.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1186 on: 10 Feb 2008, 04:23 »

This has just convinced me that I need a Caparison really bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xzKu5Cannc

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1187 on: 10 Feb 2008, 12:42 »

And if you think it's specific, you need to experiment more. I'm working on incorporating it into my space-metal band somehow.

I'd drink to that if I were more sober right now.

Seriously? Think of the possibilities. All the limitations of slide guitar (one tuning only? Fuck that) are GONE save for tone versatility (you can only do so much with one pickup).

dalconnsuch

« Reply #1188 on: 10 Feb 2008, 19:39 »

http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lapsteel/

Build one for cheap. you can put in another pickup if you want.

umm....

*slap*

build your own guitar my fat furry ass

Spluff

• it is time to party
« Reply #1189 on: 10 Feb 2008, 20:56 »

Yeah, but he just said he wanted a steel guitar, not a pedal steel.

It's still a pretty specific sound. Sure, you could incorporate it into many things and probably have it sound pretty awesome, but the sound it produces it pretty similar each time.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1190 on: 11 Feb 2008, 00:31 »

It'd be worth the $700 for a good pedal steel to be able to do that kind of thing.

Also, I feel like showing off again. This is me, learning how to fingerpick fun rockabilly stuff on my modded Squier!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1191 on: 11 Feb 2008, 10:45 »

Yeah, but he just said he wanted a steel guitar, not a pedal steel.

It's still a pretty specific sound. Sure, you could incorporate it into many things and probably have it sound pretty awesome, but the sound it produces it pretty similar each time.

This is one of the few times where I endorse effects - some reverb, delay, distortion and you can come up with a kind of far-eastern-metal sound on my lap steel, at least. Get a violin bow working properly and you haven't something awesome too.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1192 on: 13 Feb 2008, 01:20 »

I WANTS IT.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #1193 on: 13 Feb 2008, 01:23 »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #1194 on: 13 Feb 2008, 01:46 »

OLYMPIC

FUCKING

WHITE

HUAGLAGLSGKDJ
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1195 on: 13 Feb 2008, 02:12 »

Probably NSFW but totally fucking relevant.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #1196 on: 13 Feb 2008, 02:28 »

Jag overload.

I've just started playing my jag again. I've neglected it for years but now i realize that it actually has a fantastic sound. At the moment it has 12 gauge strings on it which are ripping my pissy fingers to shreds after using 10 gauge strings on the tele for so long (i keep meaning to put 11's on it but my local guitar shop never seems to have them). I think at the moment i actually prefer playing the jaguar which has never happened to me since i got my tele.
Get off my land

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1197 on: 13 Feb 2008, 02:56 »

People who own Jaguars and do not play them should be -beaten-

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1198 on: 13 Feb 2008, 03:15 »

In general, all people who own nice guitars and don't use them need a pimpslap.. Myself included, since I don't really use my RG1570 that much anymore, if at all :/

Spluff

• it is time to party
« Reply #1199 on: 13 Feb 2008, 03:31 »

Send that RG1570 my way, I need a 24 fret guitar for extended sweeping wankery. If you're gonna do it, you've gotta do it properly with an extra two frets of range.

:-D
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 86   Go Up