THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 86   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar Topic  (Read 1957118 times)

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
Re: The Guitar Topic
« Reply #1200 on: 13 Feb 2008, 03:32 »

That depends how much you're willing to pay :P
Or if you happen to have an Ibanez RG1570 lying around that you'll trade for it.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1201 on: 13 Feb 2008, 05:23 »

I want a Jag, now. =(
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1202 on: 13 Feb 2008, 08:24 »

You and me both. Don't listen to Eugene when he tells you that we have an unhealthy obsession with them because he is full of shit and I bet he listens to Good News For People Who Love Bad News and likes it.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

valley_parade

• coprophage
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1204 on: 13 Feb 2008, 13:41 »

I see your Höfner and I raise you one brand new replacement Gibson SG, fresh from the factory, never been played by anybody but the setup guys.

She's back at my dad's and I will pick her up the next time I'm in California.

TL;DR FUCK YES

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #1205 on: 13 Feb 2008, 13:44 »

Is it wrong to not like SGs?  I played an SG Gothic once, and I hated it.  The pickups sucked, and the fretboard was ebony, and flat.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #1206 on: 13 Feb 2008, 13:59 »

I mean, I guess it's fine if you have no soul.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Nodaisho

« Reply #1207 on: 13 Feb 2008, 14:35 »

Or it could just be he was playing a crappy Epi, since they are the only ones that make Gothics, as far as I know.

That SG looks absolutely awesome, you got really lucky on the way the grain shows on that one.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

imapiratearg

« Reply #1208 on: 13 Feb 2008, 14:43 »

No, it was a Gibson.  I'd imagine it would sound nice if it had Seymour Duncans in it or something.

PECOAE

• Furry furrier
  • master of his domain ...for now
« Reply #1209 on: 13 Feb 2008, 15:01 »

You and me both. Don't listen to Eugene when he tells you that we have an unhealthy obsession with them because he is full of shit and I bet he listens to Good News For People Who Love Bad News and likes it.

It's okay, he's only jealous; he's try to play mine everytime it's near him.

Haha, he's forgiven though, his Epiphone SG is kind of shitty.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1210 on: 13 Feb 2008, 15:04 »

My drummer's dad's Epiphone SG is kind of shitty.*

(Hopefully I'm getting me that Tele Custom in April)
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

PECOAE

• Furry furrier
  • master of his domain ...for now
« Reply #1211 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:00 »

My drummer's dad's Epiphone SG is kind of shitty.*

(Hopefully I'm getting me that Tele Custom in April)

(Finally)

I really wanna get a Gibson (Maybe Firebird?) to go with my Jaguar.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #1212 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:02 »

So, I'm looking to get a new amp.  My current shite practice amp is not cutting it.  I want something that is very versatile, has good tone, and is fairly small.  It would be nice to get it under $250, $200 if possible.  I'm liking the Fender Champ 600, but it doesn't seem that versatile tone-wise.  There's a vintage Traynor solid-state at a local store that I'll probably look at.  Any ideas?

Nodaisho

« Reply #1213 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:06 »

No, it was a Gibson.  I'd imagine it would sound nice if it had Seymour Duncans in it or something.
Huh. I had never heard of Gibson making those. Wait... is that what Iommi plays, or does he have a signature model?

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #1214 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:18 »

Guys, guys, guys.

Take a look at this number.

This would probably destroy the shit out of my back, but gosh darn how lovely this thing looks.

I'm pretty happy with my Fender Lead II, but this thing... damn.

As far as other guitars I lust for go, I would be happy with an Eastwood Classic Six or a Rickenbacker 330 (not that I can afford one). And that Hofner looks spiffy, but I think I like the look of this one better.

imapiratearg

« Reply #1215 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:25 »

That Hofner guitar is pretty much what I want for a guitar.

Nodaisho

« Reply #1216 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:29 »

*img*
*img*
'Scuse me, I need to clean the drool off my keyboard.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #1217 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:34 »

holy fucking SHIT that thing is amazing. want want want want want.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #1218 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:44 »

Guys, guys, guys.

Take a look at this number.

That's nice, but what the fuck is it? Bean-esque all aluminiumaster?

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #1219 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:46 »

Sorta.

P.S.: If you choose to venture through the pictures section, have about two changes of pants at the helm.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2008, 17:49 by TheLetterM »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1220 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:49 »

Huh. I had never heard of Gibson making those. Wait... is that what Iommi plays, or does he have a signature model?

They made them for a year or two, a while back, then discontinued them. They were basically gussied-up SG Specials.

Iommi has a signature model which is completely different.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Nodaisho

« Reply #1221 on: 13 Feb 2008, 18:03 »

Ah, okay. Thank you, o font of guitar wisdom and guru of webcomicry.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1222 on: 14 Feb 2008, 02:43 »

Is it wrong to not like SGs?  I played an SG Gothic once

That right there indicates -exactly- what you were doing wrong.

(snip) you got really lucky on the way the grain shows on that one.

Thanks! I actually though that too, at first, but then I realized it wasn't so much luck as the fact that the really thin finish shows it off beautifully. This one's a lot brighter red than the one that broke, it appears, althought that may just be the flash.

godinpants is right about that mirror Jazz, that's a 3x3 angled headstock if I ever saw one. My guess is that it's a Warmoth job that had a lot of potential but immediately turned into FAIL with that headstock. Seriously who the fuck thought it'd be a good idea to angle that thing?

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1223 on: 14 Feb 2008, 04:18 »

godinpants is right about that mirror Jazz, that's a 3x3 angled headstock if I ever saw one. My guess is that it's a Warmoth job that had a lot of potential but immediately turned into FAIL with that headstock. Seriously who the fuck thought it'd be a good idea to angle that thing?

It's just the same neck they use on all their guitars. Kramer/Travis Bean style:

The entire guitar is aluminium, by the way. (not these ones, the Electrical Guitar Company Jazzmaster). That might explain the headstock design, save on metal/weight
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 04:21 by FireAarro »

hellion

« Reply #1224 on: 14 Feb 2008, 05:36 »

So, I'm looking to get a new amp.  My current shite practice amp is not cutting it.  I want something that is very versatile, has good tone, and is fairly small.  It would be nice to get it under $250, $200 if possible.  I'm liking the Fender Champ 600, but it doesn't seem that versatile tone-wise.  There's a vintage Traynor solid-state at a local store that I'll probably look at.  Any ideas?

I'm looking for a small amp myself & this caught my eye,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075
It's a little more, But it might be worth looking into.
They also have this,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-VibroChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483069
It's more in line with your stated budget & has the same features & effects but only one channel and 5w output.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 05:41 by hellion »

Nodaisho

« Reply #1225 on: 14 Feb 2008, 07:01 »

Thanks! I actually though that too, at first, but then I realized it wasn't so much luck as the fact that the really thin finish shows it off beautifully. This one's a lot brighter red than the one that broke, it appears, althought that may just be the flash.
So is that a faded model? I think I heard that those have the thinner finish, which would be great, since they are also the cheaper ones.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1226 on: 14 Feb 2008, 07:04 »

I cannot get past that the SG is one of the worst balanced guitars evarr.

If you like the chrome, the fender, the six in line tuners, the humbuckers...then check this out: (John 5 Triple Deluxe)

That pickguard is chrome, not white, btw...
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1227 on: 14 Feb 2008, 09:42 »

That is fucking HIDEOUS. What is it with John 5 and raping Telecasters?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1228 on: 14 Feb 2008, 09:59 »

So is that a faded model? I think I heard that those have the thinner finish, which would be great, since they are also the cheaper ones.

It is indeed! The best thing about the finish is that it's not even really paint, it's just a reddish stain on mahogany and it's just given a sortof twice-over airbrushing of tung oil.

Regarding the SG's balance issues, I've never really cared about the way any of my guitars have balanced. Idunno, maybe I'm just not picky after having owned nothing but shit guitars up until I bought that SG, but I'm really not concerned with how it balances. *shrug* I dunno, it doesn't balance perfectly but it's never bothered me.

To be fair, I've never once played a Gibson that balanced well. My mate's dad has a vintage ES-335 (I hate him so much for it, too), I've played Pauls and SGs out the ass, I've played a friend's vintage Blueshawk and another friend of mine let me play his CS-356 and none of them have been anything but neck-heavy. Maybe Gibson's offset-body designs are different but I've never tried them.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1229 on: 14 Feb 2008, 10:49 »

Okay people.

I have a '72 Telecaster Custom. It was my baby. It is my dream guitar. It plays like a dream, it looks like a dream, it sounds like a dream. I couldn't be happier with it.

However - since buying it, I haven't played my Squier Tele Standard much. I picked it up to play it recently, and realised that, quite frankly, it's essentially worthless to me now.

The single coil pickups are weak. They're stock, and I know singles aren't meant to be great for sustain or power or anything, but this is ridiculous - they have virtually no sustain and don't even sound that great any more. I was having trouble competing with my mate's electro-acoustic through an amp, fer chrissakes.

It also doesn't play well for me any more. The neck seems to not slide very well. I always forget the names of the woods - but it's a dark colour. Maple, I think? I don't know, but the Standard has a dark neck and I can barely play it, the Custom has a yellow neck and it plays beautifully.

Basically, I don't think that this Squier is a bad guitar, it's just not what I want any more.

It does still hold sentimental value. It has a slight ding in the finish which I find endearing - but I'm realising that I have eight guitars. I can't take them all to uni and this one isn't doing me much good for anything. I'm in a metal band at the moment and as a spare guitar, it'd be utterly useless.

The question is - should I sell it? It has no practical use, only sentimental value; and if nothing else, it may teach me that I never want to sell one of my guitars again, but I know I'll barely use it.

I want to replace it with a Jaguar...

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1230 on: 14 Feb 2008, 10:57 »

Just give it to me. I'll fix it up nice.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1231 on: 14 Feb 2008, 11:08 »

That's another thing I forgot to mention, is that for the cost it'd take to make it useable again, it'd 1. not be the guitar I loved any more (it'd be just the body) and 2. be pricey enough that I should just buy another guitar instead.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1232 on: 14 Feb 2008, 13:11 »

That's another thing I forgot to mention, is that for the cost it'd take to make it useable again, it'd 1. not be the guitar I loved any more (it'd be just the body) and 2. be pricey enough that I should just buy another guitar instead.
I have a mexiCaster I feel the same way about. It's an ok backup. Everytime I think about getting the bridge fixed I just say, "meh."

I think the John 5 looks cool. But then I play a Parker so I am already into unusual, I guess. I've been leaning on something like the John 5 for my next purchase. But 1) I don't want a #$@#$^ John 5 anything. and 2) I could get an Eastwood that would be way fruitier looking and thus multiply my happiness. Addionally 3) the J5 Triple Delux is fucking made in Mexico. And I fear that it would be a let down shortly after purchasing.

Of course the last 3 basses we bought we 'Murican made and every one of them had to go back for one reason or another.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1233 on: 14 Feb 2008, 14:00 »

Regarding the SG's balance issues, I've never really cared about the way any of my guitars have balanced. Idunno, maybe I'm just not picky after having owned nothing but shit guitars up until I bought that SG, but I'm really not concerned with how it balances. *shrug* I dunno, it doesn't balance perfectly but it's never bothered me.

To be fair, I've never once played a Gibson that balanced well. My mate's dad has a vintage ES-335 (I hate him so much for it, too), I've played Pauls and SGs out the ass, I've played a friend's vintage Blueshawk and another friend of mine let me play his CS-356 and none of them have been anything but neck-heavy. Maybe Gibson's offset-body designs are different but I've never tried them.

That's weird, I've never played a Les Paul that balanced funny!

My Firebird is less neck-heavy than an SG but more neck-heavy than a Les Paul. The design also sticks the neck way further out towards your left arm than Les Pauls or SGs, which I like. I've never actually played an Explorer standing up, so I don't know if they do something similar.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

imapiratearg

« Reply #1234 on: 14 Feb 2008, 14:57 »

The single coil pickups are weak. They're stock, and I know singles aren't meant to be great for sustain or power or anything, but this is ridiculous - they have virtually no sustain and don't even sound that great any more. I was having trouble competing with my mate's electro-acoustic through an amp, fer chrissakes.

It also doesn't play well for me any more. The neck seems to not slide very well. I always forget the names of the woods - but it's a dark colour. Maple, I think? I don't know, but the Standard has a dark neck and I can barely play it, the Custom has a yellow neck and it plays beautifully.

Squire pickups are pretty lame.  Although, I changed the strings on my Squire Strat to a heavier gauge recently, and got a shitload of my sustain back.  Dark necks are either ebony or rosewood (or perhaps mahogany*).  I've never seen an ebony fretboard on a Squire or a Fender, though.  Maple is the yellow wood.

*You might want to double check that one.  I'm not too sure about it, myself.

sean

• welp
« Reply #1235 on: 14 Feb 2008, 15:24 »

Hmmm...

On the topic of Squier pickups, I've debated replacing the pickup's on my p-bass. Is this worth bothering with?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1236 on: 14 Feb 2008, 15:50 »

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1237 on: 14 Feb 2008, 15:54 »

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #1238 on: 14 Feb 2008, 16:05 »

I'm looking for a small amp myself & this caught my eye,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075
It's a little more, But it might be worth looking into.
They also have this,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-VibroChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483069
It's more in line with your stated budget & has the same features & effects but only one channel and 5w output.

Thanks for pointing these out!  I went and tried out some amps today.  I eliminated a vintage Univox solid state w/ tremolo (it was kind of ridiculous but also shitty), an Orange practice amp (again, shitty), and a Tech 21 Trademark 10.  The Tech 21 was nice (for solid state), but I kind of dislike the idea of trying to copy the sound of a classic amp, and I'm not sure how I feel about the execution of the concept either.  I tried one amp I really liked: the vintage Traynor TS-50.  It's solid state, but has decent tone, and might be exactly what I want, as it has some good basic controls (EQ, gain, volume) and some nice features (reverb, bright switch, boost).  Plus it's larger than my current one and sounds like it could get loud (and it has a direct out as well as the ability to disconnect the internal speaker and hook it up to a larger cab).  I was not able to try out the Fender Champ 600, but it seems like it wouldn't really be versatile enough for my needs.

In other news, my friend just got a vintage Mosrite Celebrity hollow-body short-scale bass.  Serial No. 12

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1239 on: 14 Feb 2008, 16:37 »

What about the overdriven tone?

(quick reminder: please don't quote the post above you!)

http://www.box.net/shared/ngwdul3lwc

Disregard the vocals, I suck cocks (and it was a 20 minute job at most).

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #1240 on: 14 Feb 2008, 16:50 »

What amp is that tone going through?

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1241 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:08 »

The question is - should I sell it? It has no practical use, only sentimental value; and if nothing else, it may teach me that I never want to sell one of my guitars again, but I know I'll barely use it.

I want to replace it with a Jaguar...

That's up to you, depends how much sentimental attachment you have to it. You know, a Jaguar won't be much use in a metal band either, unless you're just using it for the clean bits or it's one of those with humbuckers.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1242 on: 15 Feb 2008, 00:50 »

What amp is that tone going through?

My Marshall MG100DFX and my Boss DD-20. I think I've only got one recording on an EP I'm about to finish that doesn't use my Marsh exclusively, and I think every recording has my DD-20. Those two things are pretty much my lifeline.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #1243 on: 15 Feb 2008, 01:01 »

My Marshall MG100DFX and my Boss DD-20. I think I've only got one recording on an EP I'm about to finish that doesn't use my Marsh exclusively, and I think every recording has my DD-20. Those two things are pretty much my lifeline.

... an MG? I applaud you for getting such an agreeable tone.

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #1244 on: 15 Feb 2008, 01:09 »

I'm curious, why did you choose to go for an MG instead of saving a little more and getting a cheap tube combo?
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1245 on: 15 Feb 2008, 01:27 »

It's not that agreeable a tone.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1246 on: 15 Feb 2008, 03:02 »

Considering the gear, it is actually really good. It still sounds pretty flat, thin and lifeless, but hey.. It's a solid state and Squier, what can you expect?

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #1247 on: 15 Feb 2008, 03:27 »

Oh, come now, it's not that bad for a Tele.

voidSkipper

« Reply #1248 on: 15 Feb 2008, 03:53 »

Oh, come now, it's not that bad for a Tele.

I need to log in for the first time in a long time here just to say;

"Oh no he didn't!"

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1249 on: 15 Feb 2008, 05:05 »

... an MG? I applaud you for getting such an agreeable tone.

Wicked under-rated amps. I love my MG-15CDR.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 86   Go Up