THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 19:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 86   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar Topic  (Read 1957046 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: The Guitar Topic
« Reply #1600 on: 11 Mar 2008, 10:05 »

Beauty.

Nice find, man. Nice goddamned find.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1601 on: 11 Mar 2008, 10:10 »

Beauty.

Nice find, man. Nice goddamned find.
Well that would have been, damn.. 1992 or 1993. In a real off the beaten path part of eastern NC.  I remember how broke I was, I put it on layaway and walked to that pawnshop once a week on my lunch break and gave them $20.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #1602 on: 11 Mar 2008, 10:29 »

Bear in mind Prince is an amazing musician with most intruments, but is specially bitchin on the guitar.

Prince is so insanely good a musician that he makes me ashamed of myself, and makes me want to improve. I don't even like much of his music, but he's so phenomenal in the talent department that he drives me that way.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #1603 on: 11 Mar 2008, 10:43 »

Pawn. Shop. Mustang.

Those are the three greatest words ever.
ha, That is my first gtr. 1977ish Tobacco Sunburst. Weighs a ton for a short scale. Heavier than some P basses. I think I paid 189.99+tax (w/ OHSC).
[awesome fucking, fucking awesome Fender Mustang]

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGE

Excuse me, I think I came.

Yea yea, my Fender Lead II blahblahblah same model played by Roger Miller of Mission of Burma blahblahblah SPLOOOOOOOOOOGE MUSTANG IS AWESOME

Excuse my apparent onanism and loss of grammar control. Umm, awesome guitar.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1604 on: 11 Mar 2008, 11:27 »

Who had the bad taste to make that thing for prince?

www.schecterguitars.com, namely their Custom Shop.

Bear in mind Prince is an amazing musician with most intruments, but is specially bitchin on the guitar.

Prince is so insanely good a musician that he makes me ashamed of myself, and makes me want to improve. I don't even like much of his music, but he's so phenomenal in the talent department that he drives me that way.

Very much indeed. Another total irritant is that he is 5 foot 2 and has been bangin' supermodels by the hundreds for 25 years running.
Bastard.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #1605 on: 11 Mar 2008, 12:00 »

Dude, I'm five foot one.

This portends well for my rock star future.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1606 on: 11 Mar 2008, 12:13 »

Aki from Electric Eel Shock is around two foot three, and he is hands down the rockingest motherfucker in the known universe.

It bodes well, indeed.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1607 on: 11 Mar 2008, 12:31 »

Bob Marley was 5'3.

I already hated Schecter, now they're on par with B.C. Rich in terms of retardation.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #1608 on: 11 Mar 2008, 13:53 »

So, I just talked to one of these guys who my father knows, who plays guitar, and he says that trading in my 100 watt Fender FM212 DSP solid state (which is really freaking loud, more so than I need, but I don't like how it sounds) for that 40 watt Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is a really stupid idea.  He says I'll find out that it isn't loud enough to play over a band without pushing the amp.

Help?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1609 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:15 »

Save up another $100 and get a Hot Rod Deville 2x12 (60W) instead. More tube wattage than you'll ever need.

Though honestly 40 should be fine for small clubs and bars.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

imapiratearg

« Reply #1610 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:18 »

A 2x12 would be nice, but I'm still getting around half the wattage I was before.  I've heard it said that tube watts are louder than solid state watts.  I am uncertain of the truth to this statement, however.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #1611 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:18 »

Yeah, I'm not sure you need much more unless you're gonna play stadiums, large auditoriums, or large clubs...My 50 watt solid state can get really fucking loud when needed, loud enough to play over drums and bass.

I have also been told that tube wattage is louder than solid state wattage.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2008, 14:20 by greenMonkey »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #1612 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:31 »

Yeah you don't need many watts to get loud with a tube amp.

Unlike bass amps, where you need about a million watts just to get a tiny peep out of it.
awdlkfjsda;lfjksadf
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

imapiratearg

« Reply #1613 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:34 »

My 50 watt solid state can get really fucking loud when needed, loud enough to play over drums and bass.

Do you have to turn the volume up really high to do it?  I can get over drums and bass on my 100 watt at low to middle volumes.

Gargh...There's this thing I've been experiencing with the amp I have, and apparently the Hot Rod DeVille.  It's a loud popping noise when switching between channels.  Particularly from overdriven to clean.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #1614 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:41 »

I have to crank the volume and probably add some gain (not so much that it distorts, but just to boost the volume, as that's the way my amp is), but it gets loud enough.  As far as tubes go my friend had a vintage Bassman head paired with a 2x12 cab.  It was only 50 watts, but it got HORRENDOUSLY LOUD.

Yeah you don't need many watts to get loud with a tube amp.

Unlike bass amps, where you need about a million watts just to get a tiny peep out of it.
awdlkfjsda;lfjksadf

My bass friend has a 400w Eden combo.  It's really small (2x10), cube-shaped, and HEAVY AS FUCK.  Thankfully we convinced him to put casters on it.

I think its this one or one similar to it.  400w, solid state or tube preamp.  It sounds great, and if turned up pretty much shakes my house free from its foundations.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2008, 14:45 by greenMonkey »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #1615 on: 11 Mar 2008, 14:46 »

Man that amp is expensive though.

I have a 220w ampeg. It's not as nearly as loud as I'd like. Sounds great though.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1616 on: 11 Mar 2008, 15:00 »

In terms of dBs, tube amps are no louder than solid state. A watt is a watt. However, they possess a number of qualities that make them sound louder.

Tube amps compress the signal when overdriven and they add harmonics to the signal.

This post from TalkBass explains the following point better than I can.

If you put a 100 Watt tube amp on a test bench feeding an 8 Ohm resistor, the amp usually puts out a fairly clean signal up to about 100 Watts, then as you increase the power out, the signal distorts, as the sine wave tries to get bigger, it is softly sqashed, but still rounded. You can get up to 150 or more true measured Watts with the signal distorted like this (theoretical maximum 200 Watts for pure square wave). You can do the same thing with a 100 Watt solid state amp, but as the ouput power goes above 100 Watts, the peaks of the sine wave are chopped flat off, not softly squashed. This hard clip point is obvious and harsh when listening to it through speakers.

Basically, to your ear and to your audience's ears, tube amps sound way fucking louder.

imapiratearg

« Reply #1617 on: 11 Mar 2008, 15:03 »

So, in theory, a 60 watt 2x12 tube can reach up to 120 watts of output where as my 100 watt solid state will sound like shit at higher volumes?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1618 on: 11 Mar 2008, 15:09 »

Precisely.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1619 on: 11 Mar 2008, 15:30 »

Haha guys my solid-state Marshall combo with a single 12" speaker can be heard perfectly over fucking thumping drums before I even turn it up past 2.

Just sayin'.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #1620 on: 11 Mar 2008, 15:54 »

I just went and tested my volume.  With the gain at 3 (where I keep it for clean stuff), bass at 10, mids at 10, treble at 8, reverb at 2.5, I cranked the volume to ten.  I was pretty sure that I could get over drums and bass in my practice space (aka basement), and probably in a small venue.  I then cranked the gain, which added some volume, but at that point my ears were ringing so I couldn't really judge how much of a boost it was. 

My amp is an old Traynor TS-50 solid state 1x12.  I love it to death.  Cleans are nice to my ear, especially since I add some depth with the built-in spring reverb tank, and with the gain up it can get some pretty good distortion.  With the gain up and bright switch on it gets nasty, cutting, searing distortion a la Shellac.  In fact, Bob Weston uses the bass head version.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #1621 on: 11 Mar 2008, 15:57 »

My guitar player plays this- http://www.music123.com/Fender-Jazzmaster-Ultralight-Amp-Head-480877-i1145468.Music123?cm_mmc=$(channel)$-_-Fender-_-Guitar%20Amplifiers%20and%20Effects-_-Fender%20Jazzmaster%20Ultralight%20Amp%20Head&source=ZWFRWXX&mr:trackingCode=9EA34430-EFED-DC11-AA92-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

which, even though it's a single 12, is clear as hell and way loud enough to get over my uber-loud bass amp, which is this- http://www.theibanezstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=778&osCsid=e785eac79f7fca7e26efc66577e5dfe9

and a drummer bashing away on this-  http://www.zzounds.com/item--GRECCJ484  .  We play on very loud, but very tiny equipment.

Anybody looking for a great bass amp, or guitar amp, I highly recommend the aformentioned ones in this post. 

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1622 on: 11 Mar 2008, 16:20 »

Dude, I'm five foot one.

This portends well for my rock star future.

Marc Bolan!

Bob Marley was 5'3.

I already hated Schecter, now they're on par with B.C. Rich in terms of retardation.

Agreed.

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1623 on: 11 Mar 2008, 16:20 »

Same here; my main amp is a 65 watt fender and with onboard volume, and the amp's gain on 10, my amp's volume only needs to be on 3, even with drums and stuff. To play lightly and still be heard I have to turn it up though.

Yeah. My MG has two channels, clean (no independent volume) and OD (OD has an independent volume and two distortion stages, but I haven't ever found a use for stage 2). With the clean channel's gain set to max, tube emulation on (I never turn it off), bass set to 5, mids to 10 and treble to 8, I only have to turn it to 2 on the master volume to be heard. In OD (first stage, like I said) I have the independent channel volume at max, gain is usually set to 2.5, EQ settings the same, and to be heard I'm just under 2 on the master volume. And I can hear myself no matter how lightly I want to play, even if I'm just noodling around.

Difficulty: getting bitchin' feedback at that low a volume. I can get it out of a semi-hollow easier than melting butter in the Sahara in July, but my SG or my Squier demand that the master volume be turned up at least to 2.5 or 3.

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1624 on: 11 Mar 2008, 16:36 »

I got a mid 70s Music Man 210 Sixty-Five with, surprise surprise, 2 10" speakers and 65 watts of power.  It's got two on positions: Low and High.  Low is plenty damn loud, and High is quite enough to be heard in any club.  And it only takes 1 or 2 preamp tubes, that's hybrid, but the output is two angry EL34s
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

roulettescars

« Reply #1625 on: 11 Mar 2008, 16:42 »

honestly, I don't know about where you all reside, but here it seems like too many bands live in this weird dream world where they're playing stadiums or something and feel the need to have full stacks to play little bar shows and stuff, when you could easily get by with a combo or something... but I guess rock and roll is about being loud, and excess (I.E. lugging around a bunch of unnecessary speaker cabinets.)

Beastmouth

« Reply #1626 on: 11 Mar 2008, 16:58 »

honestly, I don't know about where you all reside, but here it seems like too many bands live in this weird dream world where they're playing stadiums or something and feel the need to have full stacks to play little bar shows and stuff, when you could easily get by with a combo or something... but I guess rock and roll is about being loud, and excess (I.E. lugging around a bunch of unnecessary speaker cabinets.)
Honestly, if mine didn't have such great reverb and tremolo, I'd probably switch to something smaller.  I'm a firm believer in that the reason god invented PA's was so no one'd have to cart a fucking stack around. 

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1627 on: 11 Mar 2008, 17:14 »

honestly, I don't know about where you all reside, but here it seems like too many bands live in this weird dream world where they're playing stadiums or something and feel the need to have full stacks to play little bar shows and stuff, when you could easily get by with a combo or something

I understand what you mean. But I've got a good friend who played shows with his band, and he discovered that the crowd gets more riled up by seeing a full stack. He put it simply: "The amp rig should be taller than you."

He never so much as plugged in the second cab, heh.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #1628 on: 11 Mar 2008, 17:24 »

Is he in a metal band?

Beastmouth

« Reply #1629 on: 11 Mar 2008, 17:27 »

Well, I've seen bands get away with a nice combo at the same club that J Mascis had 2 full Marshall stacks, so I guess it depends on just how much tinnitus you want to inflict on yr vic, uh, audience

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1630 on: 11 Mar 2008, 17:27 »

FireAarro: East Bay punk. He's got a Randall half-stack. Pretty bitchin' amp for some uses, not so hot for others. Does great for what he does with it though.

Beastmouth

« Reply #1631 on: 11 Mar 2008, 18:33 »

Bringing up gold for a second again:

opinions?
We were discussing gold hardware.  Goldtops are okay, but I'd strip one if I had it. 

imapiratearg

« Reply #1632 on: 11 Mar 2008, 18:42 »

Could we please not quote pictures?  Or the post directly above you?

In the pictures case, you can do this:

Bringing up gold for a second again:

[Really sexy goldtop.]

opinions?
We were discussing gold hardware.  Goldtops are okay, but I'd strip one if I had it. 

Is it really too much to ask?

pentaen

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1633 on: 11 Mar 2008, 19:56 »

this thread is easily going to be imortal, maybe it should become its own topic? that way we can put in guitar sub-topics ??

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1634 on: 11 Mar 2008, 20:37 »

Goldtops aren't ugly, but definitely overrated. Just like the Cherry Sunburst finish on LPs.

They're no worse than any other finishes but I don't see what's so classic, elegant, or sexy about them.

PECOAE

• Furry furrier
  • master of his domain ...for now
« Reply #1635 on: 11 Mar 2008, 21:16 »

I got the bridge adjusting allen wrench from the local guitar shop (that Ballard interns at) and my Jaguar sounds lovely again.

Anyone else have a Jag?  Any other types of offsets?

Beastmouth

« Reply #1636 on: 11 Mar 2008, 22:42 »

I got the bridge adjusting allen wrench from the local guitar shop (that Ballard interns at) and my Jaguar sounds lovely again.

Anyone else have a Jag?  Any other types of offsets?
My tele style is has its wonderful cutaway and beautiful joint offset by the fact that I am now Hendrixing it.  :p

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1637 on: 11 Mar 2008, 22:44 »

Remember mate, don't quote the post directly above yours.

Also, that kinda bums me out. Why fuck up a perfectly good Tele? What does it even do?

Beastmouth

« Reply #1638 on: 11 Mar 2008, 22:51 »

stuff
What?

Just cuz I said I'd strip one if I ever got another doesn't mean I don't wanna look at it again!  ;)

ps omg i'm so sorry for forgetting netiquette for a sec!

Beastmouth

« Reply #1639 on: 11 Mar 2008, 22:52 »

@Ballard

What do you mean "what does it do?"

I'm playing it lefthanded now.  Look at where the strap is.

And it's not really "a perfectly good tele"; those don't tend to have minihumbuckers and all mahogany construction, do they?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1640 on: 11 Mar 2008, 23:14 »

Oh, my mistake. I totally misunderstood your post the first time around.

Why does it look like you chopped off part of the cutaway though? Was that necessary to put the strap buttons on?

Beastmouth

« Reply #1641 on: 11 Mar 2008, 23:21 »

Oh, my mistake. I totally misunderstood your post the first time around.

Why does it look like you chopped off part of the cutaway though? Was that necessary to put the strap buttons on?
No, I just have a fat strap covering it up. 

I'll dig out the camera and get some good pics and hosting and show the Arrow to you.

She's totally my baby  >__<

The piece of mahogany I had had a couple cracks thru it, so to get rid of as much of that as possible, the tele shape was necessary.  She's actually trimmed a wee bit on the non-cutaway bout side, a little more fluid shape to go with the dovetailed neck.  And she's got a great soft edge, really well rounded.  The really nice thing about playing her upside down is that I'd rather have my tuners on the other side when I'm playing lefty, *and* I don't really miss the high frets, rarely going above 15. 

Still, it's a real shame because I worked for hours to give her the best heel possible, and it's a cryin shame I don't rub my palm along it playing high solos anymore.  I guess I'll shut up now.

Oh, wait, no.  They're Dimarzios, the mini-HBs, and they are beautiful.  Also, Sperzels ftw

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #1642 on: 12 Mar 2008, 02:07 »

Anyone else have problems with their jag having a shit bridge. Cause i did, i have no idea why the decided to make such a shitty design for the bridge when there are plenty of others out there. Luckily it is easily fixed by getting a jagstang bridge or equivalent and putting in on. Makes playing it such a better experience.
Get off my land

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #1643 on: 12 Mar 2008, 02:27 »

the jazzmaster/jaguar bridge was a rather cool idea that was massively fucked up in execution. It has multiple ridges so if you wanted to alter the spacing of your strings, you could, but it also made the strings pop out. This is why ever since the Mustang existed, you put a mustang bridge on your jaguar/jazzmaster
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1644 on: 12 Mar 2008, 04:30 »

The things I keep hearing are that the AVRI Jags/Jazzes doesn't have those buzzing problems very often, but the Japanese-made ones have huge problems with it because the grooves are way too small.

I, for one, plan on jacking my dad's lathe (god that thing is badass) and just making new saddles with wider spacing and deeper grooves. Only problem is that I'd have to also drill in the little screw holes for the allen wrench screws, and those things are tiny and require actually doing work.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #1645 on: 12 Mar 2008, 04:32 »

Yeah its a japanese one i have and it was bloody awful for it until i replaced the bridge. You could play it softly but you had to be really careful and it was no fun.
Get off my land

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1646 on: 12 Mar 2008, 05:30 »

Any other types of offsets?

Firebird. I played a sparkly Squier Jagmaster in a store once, though. Same general Jazz/jag shape. It felt pretty comfortable, but I'm a pretty large dude.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1647 on: 12 Mar 2008, 05:41 »

My 5150 combo is really too much amp for most places I play. And it is 85lbs! But in 3 weeks I'm playing somewhere I know the PA and soundguy pretty well. I think I am going to rock the POD w/o the amp.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

PECOAE

• Furry furrier
  • master of his domain ...for now
« Reply #1648 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:16 »

Anyone else have problems with their jag having a shit bridge. Cause i did, i have no idea why the decided to make such a shitty design for the bridge when there are plenty of others out there. Luckily it is easily fixed by getting a jagstang bridge or equivalent and putting in on. Makes playing it such a better experience.

Yeah, I just have an allen wrench, I'll do the Mustang Bridge thing soon - anyone know where one could find them for cheap?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1649 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:27 »

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 86   Go Up