THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 02:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar Topic  (Read 1957151 times)

zerobar

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: The Guitar Topic
« Reply #4250 on: 17 Apr 2009, 00:16 »

[/quote]
Haven't even heard of it. The reason I want the Fender isn't just the clean channel, I love the distortion channel as well. I'm not a fan of super-saturated distortion, so I wouldn't really need something like what I think you're describing (and I've got my Tonebone for that anyway). When I go into a heavier distortion, I look for a sound like in "Helter Skelter" by the Beatles. Not too heavy, but it gets the job done.
[/quote]

Yeah, I understand that completely. They can approximate all kinds of sounds, but if you know what you want, why settle for the "store brand?"

Most of the reason why people haven't heard of them, or tried them, is because they sell direct, so NO music store will carry them. Our local music store won't even buy them used. They get great reviews though, and they've been around forever, so I have no reason to doubt them. But, I bought mine from a pawn shop, so I had the advantage of "try before you buy."

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #4251 on: 17 Apr 2009, 03:13 »

I've wanted a singlecut tele bass ever since i first saw the one in this thread.

whaaaaat

I love singlecut basses so hard
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4252 on: 17 Apr 2009, 05:14 »

what amp do you have just now?

MG100DFX.

Cool, I have the MG50DFX, the old one as well. I know what you mean, it's hard to get different sounds out of it. I was actually thinking of selling mine and getting a valve amp but after trying some out in shops yesterday I think I'm just going to stick with it. At least with a solid-state one I can play at bedroom levels and still get the same sound.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #4253 on: 19 Apr 2009, 12:08 »

So boys and girls, I'm looking to get a new set today for a reasonable price. I currently have an acoustic washburn and I was curious of what brands you guys adore. I had 10' elixirs for about four months the only problem I had with them was how long it takes to wear them in; any thoughts?

Oh here's a picture of my guitar, if that helps.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #4254 on: 20 Apr 2009, 10:24 »

http://burlington.craigslist.org/msg/1128629364.html

Ampeg bass head, $220.

I want it so hard, even though I don't have a bass yet.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #4255 on: 20 Apr 2009, 14:21 »

JESUS FUCK

can that guy ship? shit i will pay like the 100 dollars for shipping for that thing because fuck that means 300 bucks for an ampeg bass head OH SHIT
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #4256 on: 20 Apr 2009, 16:48 »

Keep in mind it's solid-state and only a few hundred more new.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #4257 on: 20 Apr 2009, 17:28 »

oh shit you guys oh shit IT HAS PAINT ON IT NOW

[img width= height=]http://www.questionablecontent.net/random/crestonfinish.jpg[/img]
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #4258 on: 20 Apr 2009, 18:17 »

hey man i can't afford tube right now, as much as i'd love it.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #4259 on: 20 Apr 2009, 19:00 »

oh shit you guys oh shit IT HAS PAINT ON IT NOW

Jeph, if you don't make some kind of audio demo of this thing when it's done there will be multiple levels of hell to pay.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #4260 on: 20 Apr 2009, 21:51 »

I've never really noticed the difference with bass guitars.  A majority of the bass amps I've seen are solid state.

Also: I want to trade my Strat and some monies for this:

A better Squire.  Until I someday have enough money for a real Fender or something.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2009, 13:07 by imapiratearg »

zerobar

« Reply #4261 on: 21 Apr 2009, 23:21 »

Hey, quick question, has anyone on here played an epiphone coronet? I've been toying around the idea of building a set-neck one with the bat wing headstock and single hum bucker, like the one Paul Gilbert used to use. I may not make it in as wild a color as he used. I'm just kinda intrigued by it, but don't wanna shell out $3000 for an original, or buy a cheap Korean one with a bolt on neck and the wrong tone woods.

EDIT: So I bought this AXYS slide and it came in the mail today. It's open on one side and has inserts sized to your fingers, so you can turn the slide and still use your finger for regular fretting. Anyone who wants to play slide and not lose the use of their finger should at least look at it.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2009, 12:37 by zerobar »

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #4262 on: 22 Apr 2009, 13:47 »

I've never really noticed the difference with bass guitars.  A majority of the bass amps I've seen are solid state.

I think that it's less an issue with bass than it is with guitar.  With guitar the differences are usually very noticeable, and pretty much any guitar will sound better through tubes (there are obviously exceptions).  With bass though, I think it's more of a preference thing.  My bass player has used both, everything from a '69 Bassman stack to what he has now, a little (but extremely powerful) Markbass 1x12 combo.  While you probably won't be able to replicate the rumble of an old tubed SVT stack with a solid state, you'll most likely be able to get smoother, tighter tone (again, it's all dependent on what amp you're using).  It just depends on what you want.

zerobar

« Reply #4263 on: 22 Apr 2009, 23:41 »

I think that it's less an issue with bass than it is with guitar.  With guitar the differences are usually very noticeable, and pretty much any guitar will sound better through tubes (there are obviously exceptions).  With bass though, I think it's more of a preference thing.  My bass player has used both, everything from a '69 Bassman stack to what he has now, a little (but extremely powerful) Markbass 1x12 combo.  While you probably won't be able to replicate the rumble of an old tubed SVT stack with a solid state, you'll most likely be able to get smoother, tighter tone (again, it's all dependent on what amp you're using).  It just depends on what you want.

I'd always heard alot of the major benefit of tube amps was that over driven tones were warmer and fuller sounding, due to the tubes warming up. Since I'm guessing that distortion isn't the primary concern of most bass players, that could be one reason why I see so many more solid state bass amps. If you don't NEED tubes, then there's alot of good reasons to use solid state, particularly maintenance and durability.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4264 on: 23 Apr 2009, 07:22 »

Hey, quick question, has anyone on here played an epiphone coronet? I've been toying around the idea of building a set-neck one with the bat wing headstock and single hum bucker, like the one Paul Gilbert used to use. I may not make it in as wild a color as he used. I'm just kinda intrigued by it, but don't wanna shell out $3000 for an original, or buy a cheap Korean one with a bolt on neck and the wrong tone woods.

EDIT: So I bought this AXYS slide and it came in the mail today. It's open on one side and has inserts sized to your fingers, so you can turn the slide and still use your finger for regular fretting. Anyone who wants to play slide and not lose the use of their finger should at least look at it.

Played? No. But I've seen a vintage one up close, and they're beautiful. If you build one, DEFINITELY go with the batwing headstock. Epi really needs to find more uses for that design, it's outstanding.

Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4265 on: 23 Apr 2009, 08:14 »

over driven tones

warmer and fuller sounding

isn't the primary concern of most bass players

Fuck all of these people.

Addendum: Listen to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and DFA 1979.

zerobar

« Reply #4266 on: 23 Apr 2009, 09:48 »

over driven tones

Sorry if I offended you, I don't play bass and I was just going from what I heard.

zerobar

« Reply #4267 on: 23 Apr 2009, 09:53 »

Played? No. But I've seen a vintage one up close, and they're beautiful. If you build one, DEFINITELY go with the batwing headstock. Epi really needs to find more uses for that design, it's outstanding.

Yeah, I always thought they were a cool alternative to the sg, in size, material, etc... I think the one's that Gilbert played were made for him by Ibanez, though. He had alot of really weird, funky, designs before settling on the rg shape, like every other endorsee they have. Have you ever seen the 36 fret Danelectro he played? But yes, I'll definitely use the batwing headstock, that's the best part. I kinda considered using it as the first set-neck design I'd make, just because it seems easier than something like a Les Paul.

Edit: I would also totally take that sky blue Kramer, behind the Les Paul. LOVE Kramer guitars.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2009, 14:01 by zerobar »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4268 on: 23 Apr 2009, 10:46 »

A guy on OSG has a '63 Airline project for sale for $300. Just needs pickups and a 3-way switch. I'm seeing if he'll put it on hold for me. I really want to get a 5 watt tube amp this summer, but uh..

I like this even more than the 3 pickup Eastwood version, and they want $700.

ETA: On hold! I'm hoping I'll have it by late June.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2009, 11:01 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4269 on: 23 Apr 2009, 12:46 »

Man I honestly don't really like the original Airlines and Maps as much as the Eastwoods. Major cool points though.

zerobar

« Reply #4270 on: 23 Apr 2009, 14:21 »

So I got my Kramer/Fender Strat/Baretta relic back from the shop.

It's a mexi Strat body with an 87 Baretta neck and a Duncan JB in the bridge. The neck is Great. REALLY comfortable. Not too thick, not too thin with really low action. I'm thinking about buying another neck for a body I've got sitting around.

So, any suggestions for a color, if I did the Coronet project? I'd like so do something different than cherry, or cherry burst. I think I might buy an airbrush this weekend, so graphic designs would be open, too, except that the pickguard covers most of the body.

Bearer

« Reply #4271 on: 23 Apr 2009, 14:32 »

British racing green + chrome hardware = yes

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4272 on: 23 Apr 2009, 14:36 »

the colour it already is, since SM has that!

zerobar

« Reply #4273 on: 23 Apr 2009, 14:39 »

That'd be pretty cool. Plus, with an airbrush, I could put old open wheel racing era numbers and logos on it. Kinda fill out the racing idea.

??? Please explain. I'm thinking of making one from scratch, not modifying an existing one.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #4274 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:30 »

All the chrome hardware for what is expected to be a British Racing Green Explorer-style body that I'm building now just showed up at the house two days ago.

I feel like all my thunder has been stolen by your post.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4275 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:43 »

??? Please explain. I'm thinking of making one from scratch, not modifying an existing one.

Oops, I didn't read your post properly. I thought you were going to change the colour of the one you just got back.
SM = Stephen Malkmus

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #4276 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:15 »

over driven tones

Sorry if I offended you, I don't play bass and I was just going from what I heard.

Regarding amps v solid state issues, I did my honours degree on "blind" listening sessions comparing the two, albeit amp v amp simulation. It should be noted that while the amp won, it wasn't this huge victory that you might've expected.

Bearer

« Reply #4277 on: 24 Apr 2009, 11:18 »

All the chrome hardware for what is expected to be a British Racing Green Explorer-style body that I'm building now just showed up at the house two days ago.

I feel like all my thunder has been stolen by your post.

give us some pics of this thing and you shall have redemption!

...on a side note, check out what I found over on the TDPRI forums

based on how the bridge is cut in the back, it can be assumed that a bigsby would be added.  Unfortunately, the body was sold to another builder so there aren't any more pictures of the thing, but just the idea of this guitar existing is enough to make me start drooling.

zerobar

« Reply #4278 on: 24 Apr 2009, 11:32 »

^you could always order something like that from Warmoth. It wouldn't be cheap, but it'd be great quality.

over driven tones

Regarding amps v solid state issues, I did my honours degree on "blind" listening sessions comparing the two, albeit amp v amp simulation. It should be noted that while the amp won, it wasn't this huge victory that you might've expected.

Solid state amps have come a long way. I've got a little VOX 30W combo and my friend has a 30W Crate and they both sound killer. Although, I know mine has a power tube and I'm pretty sure his does too. As far as I knew (and once again, please don't jump down my throat if I'm wrong, I'm not a huge expert on amp tech) the big difference between tube and solid state was that the tube amp will "break up" at lower volume levels than the solid state. I've heard that you can get the same "break up" out of a solid state, it just occurs at much higher levels. That's why, solid state amps overdrive never sounds quite right, because it's not a true "overdrive." At clean volumes, though, it's significantly more difficult to tell the difference. Someone once told me the reason that a tube amp sounds so much better on clean is not the tubes, it's the other stuff they put in the amp (reverb, chorus, etc).

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #4279 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:13 »

^you could always order something like that from Warmoth. It wouldn't be cheap, but it'd be great quality.

You can order a pre-made, bound Jazzmaster body? I need to see this.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4280 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:52 »

Dude you didn't offend me I was just being humorous.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4281 on: 24 Apr 2009, 15:20 »

Right, so I know you guys hate Ibanez and whatnot, but nevertheless:

I fucking bought one this past monday, and it's pretty damn good!

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #4282 on: 24 Apr 2009, 16:36 »

I've never understood the hate-on that people get over Ibanez instruments.   I own a couple and they're all very good instruments for the price I've paid for them.   

zerobar

« Reply #4283 on: 24 Apr 2009, 19:41 »

Right, so I know you guys hate Ibanez and whatnot, but nevertheless:

I fucking bought one this past monday, and it's pretty damn good!
I own a 92 rg550 with a maple neck. It's a great guitar. Very high quality and very versatile. The stock Ibanez pickups are fairly neutral, so they work well for nearly any genre of music. I imagine most people's problem is with the locking trem, which does frankly suck on most of their older Korean guitars (TRS, ugh). I like their necks, but always found the Wizard I to be more comfortable than the Wizard II (more rounded back profile).

zerobar

« Reply #4284 on: 24 Apr 2009, 19:50 »

You can order a pre-made, bound Jazzmaster body? I need to see this.

yep. bindings more money, obviously, but you can do it. you may not be able to get that pickup option, but if you called them, I bet they'd do it special order. You could also get whatever binding color or type of wood you want. Here's a link:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Vintage/JMaster.aspx

options and prices are on the right.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86]   Go Up