THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 86   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar Topic  (Read 1960646 times)

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
Re: The Guitar Topic
« Reply #50 on: 17 Jun 2007, 06:04 »

i posted this before, but:

jaguar + humbuckers = <3

my other guitar:

also: dynamitekid: i love your guitar. i want it!

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #51 on: 17 Jun 2007, 10:41 »

I want yours.  That pick guard is sexy.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #52 on: 17 Jun 2007, 10:59 »

negative_creep, I'll be robbing your house now kthx.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #53 on: 17 Jun 2007, 11:22 »

also: dynamitekid: i love your guitar. i want it!

I was going to say the same thing to you.

Though I'd probably want a different colour.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #54 on: 12 Jul 2007, 14:39 »

I done gots me a spankin' new guit-fiddle!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #55 on: 12 Jul 2007, 15:37 »

That is actually really nice. How much it set you back?

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #56 on: 12 Jul 2007, 15:48 »

Pretty much nothing, really.. It was a discontinued model, so I got at 2/5 of the original price. It is completely new, mind you :D

It set me back about 200£, which is a bargain considering how awesome it is. The sound is great, and it plays just as nice as my Gibson.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #57 on: 13 Jul 2007, 00:35 »

In a week's time, I'll be the owner of a shiny new Hagstrom Viking Deluxe.

This in Cherry Red.

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #58 on: 13 Jul 2007, 07:20 »

I done gots me a spankin' new guit-fiddle!

When did esp start making nice guitars?

Lazer

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PIZZA TIME
« Reply #59 on: 13 Jul 2007, 12:17 »

Far from high quality, but I'm poor so I rock out with a Jackson Stealth (lolz) and a Strat. Pardon my crappy camera flash.

Funny thing about the Jackson is that it's a guitar for lefty's, so I have it strung right handed and I play it upside down, which in turn makes it a pain in the ass to keep in tune and what not so I just usually stick with the Strat. Whoo boy.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #60 on: 13 Jul 2007, 13:44 »

Pretty much nothing, really.. It was a discontinued model, so I got at 2/5 of the original price. It is completely new, mind you :D

It set me back about 200£, which is a bargain considering how awesome it is. The sound is great, and it plays just as nice as my Gibson.

You got that for only £200??? Jesus! I so want one!

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 13 Jul 2007, 14:04 »

You got that for only £200??? Jesus! I so want one!

I doubt you can find one new for that price. It was on a clearance sale of discontinued models, and I snagged the last one in the country :P That is only Denmark, of course. They also had Dave Mustaine signature models for below half price.

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #62 on: 13 Jul 2007, 21:21 »

1973 Telecaster Custom

i bought it used with case in 1984 for $350 and have since modded it to the point of no longer being a collector's item.

which is fine, since i bought it to play and not as an investment.

back then 70s Fenders were considered crap canoe paddles.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 14 Jul 2007, 04:59 »

So me not getting that 72 mustang was a good thing?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #64 on: 14 Jul 2007, 05:44 »

That's pretty nice, actually. But then my previous post shows that I do prefer the '72.

rhinohelicopter

Re: My New Guitar!
« Reply #65 on: 04 Aug 2007, 23:27 »

here is the guitar I bought a week ago, my first bass guitar/guitar of any kind:

I think is G&L and it only cost me $199.

This is a Samik.  Even a G&L Tribute (Like Squire by Fender) will run you around $400.

rhinohelicopter

« Reply #66 on: 04 Aug 2007, 23:33 »

I want a '69 Fender Tele Thinline. But alas I have not the $700 for the guitar or the $900 for the amp I want (Peavy Classic 50 2x12).  So I wait.

imapiratearg

« Reply #67 on: 09 Oct 2007, 13:00 »

I played this guitar at a music shop.  I pretty much fell in love with it.  But I want a good set up.  Something like, this guitar, with a good fuzz pedal, through a tube amp or stack.  Any suggestions?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #68 on: 09 Oct 2007, 14:40 »

What's your budget?

Also you linked to the main Schecter page. Which guitar was it?

oblivion

« Reply #69 on: 09 Oct 2007, 15:11 »

My arse-anal (not bothering w/ pics since they all look like guitars) consists of:

Peavey T-15 electric I got for my 10th birthday (that was 1984, kids).
Yamahammer mid-grade 12-string acoustic.
Ibanez RG-560 in glittery red.
Ibanez somethingorother 6-string acoustic.

There might be some of the guitars in these pics of my assorted gear: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=89453473%40N00&q=studio&m=tags

EDIT:
Forgot to mention my Crate TD-50C amp - the C is for "Chorus".  Neeto.

I don't have much in the way of pedals - I've to an old, sickly Digitech RP-1 that sometimes needs a whacking when it flakes out.  I've also got a DOD Stereo Flanger.  I love me some flange.

« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2007, 15:23 by oblivion »

imapiratearg

« Reply #70 on: 09 Oct 2007, 15:15 »

What's your budget?

Also you linked to the main Schecter page. Which guitar was it?

Aw, damnit.  The site is built in Flash, so now matter where I link it to, it'll send you to the homepage.  Anyways, it was the S-1 IVY.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #71 on: 09 Oct 2007, 15:17 »

A red 1980 Fender Lead II. Yes, I am a Mission of Burma fan. Has held up better than my old POS squier strat.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #72 on: 09 Oct 2007, 19:54 »

That guitar is tasty looking.  I want an original Danelectro, but it would be waste of money cuz I suck at guitar.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #73 on: 09 Oct 2007, 21:27 »

Lies, greenMonkey!

If you can afford it, or save up for it in a reasonable amount of time, get it. You're just making an excuse why not to get a beautiful instrument.

It's so much nicer and more fun playing a gorgeous sounding and looking guitar that you'll be inspired to do it justice. And practicing to do so on it is the best way to go.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #74 on: 10 Oct 2007, 11:08 »

I placed a deposit on a mandolin and an order for a lap steel last friday. This friday I'm getting my f'ing mandolin.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #75 on: 10 Oct 2007, 14:02 »

I currently own a Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe. I don't have any pictures of it right now, but I'll be sure to upload some as soon as I possibly can. Here's a stock photo until then:

Mine doesn't have the tremolo bar, though. I really wish it did. :(

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #76 on: 10 Oct 2007, 15:12 »

Nice axe, Tehz.

Try something like this.

That probably doesn't fit since you have a Tele but yeah, you can get a trem bridge for 100-150 bucks (including installation).

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #77 on: 10 Oct 2007, 19:49 »

Time for me to hijack the thread somewhat. I'm considering learning to play the bass (even though I can't really afford lessons; I'll have to coerce some friends into teaching me, ehehe...), does anybody have any recommendations for a good model to start learning on? I don't want to buy a piece of crap that I'll hate a few years down the track (and furthermore won't be able to sell if I realise that I have no musical aptitude), so I'd be happy to spend a fair bit on one, though I don't want to exceed around 600-700 USD if it can be helped. Suggestions plz?

imapiratearg

« Reply #78 on: 10 Oct 2007, 20:02 »

Fender makes some really nice basses.  Their amps are fairly nice too.  I'd also say you might want to look into a Behringer amp.  My friend Ryan has one that was pretty cheap and sounds pretty good.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #79 on: 10 Oct 2007, 20:30 »

Well, you're certainly better off than most people who start out. $600-700 will get you a great instrument.

If you want a tried-and-true bass that's been used by almost everyone, go for a Fender Jazz Bass.

A great bass will sound like crap through a bad amp, but a crap bass will sound decent through a great amp. So I suggest spending as much as you can on one. Now, I'm a guitar tech nerd, but I don't know very much about bass amps. I've heard a lot that it's better to get your head and cab separate, rather than get a combo (in plain English, there are two parts of your amp: the head, and the cabinet. The head is the amplifier, and the cabinet is the speaker. If you've ever had a stereo system, it works the same way. A combo amp contains both parts in one box. At your price range, though, these parts are usually of lower quality than if you get them separately).

Go for something like this Gallien-Krueger half-stack.

Most importantly, go to a store and pick up a bass. Play it. Make sure it feels comfortable and you like it. Never order instruments online if you can help it (I'm just using links as a reference). Also, local shops are better than chains like Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Local music store employees typically aren't on comission, know a lot more, love what they do, and are willing to spend time with you and find what's best for you. Employees at large warehouse stores get paid for each sale they make, and will sell you second-rate equipment and send you on your way.

Good luck! Hope you love it.

P.S. Talk to Sam; he is the badass bassist around here.

cheesepie

• Larger than most fish
  • the limit as cool approaches awesome of myself
« Reply #80 on: 10 Oct 2007, 23:25 »

This is the guitar that I have. Taylor 714-CE. I love it like I love my life
I'd rather be skiing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #81 on: 11 Oct 2007, 10:12 »

Time for me to hijack the thread somewhat. I'm considering learning to play the bass (even though I can't really afford lessons; I'll have to coerce some friends into teaching me, ehehe...), does anybody have any recommendations for a good model to start learning on? I don't want to buy a piece of crap that I'll hate a few years down the track (and furthermore won't be able to sell if I realise that I have no musical aptitude), so I'd be happy to spend a fair bit on one, though I don't want to exceed around 600-700 USD if it can be helped. Suggestions plz?

Since I'm self taught and mostly organic about getting the sound I want out of something, I can't help you much as far as what bass to buy, but I know that that budget will get you the good shit, even if it includes your amp.

My one piece of advice is this:

Don't take shit from guitarists who think bass is just guitar for retards with two less fingers for two less strings.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #82 on: 11 Oct 2007, 11:33 »

The best advice on buying a bass is to find a friend who can teach you just how to hold down the strings with your left hand and how to pluck with your right hand.  This shouldn't take long- we're talking 10 minutes to a half an hour, just to get the feel of the instrument.  Once you've done this, go to a bunch of music stores and play a bunch of basses and see what you like. 

On to specifics-

Bass- The key here is string action.  By string action I mean, are the strings close to the neck and easy to hold down? If you haven't been playing for a long time, you probably  haven't developed those muscles necessary to really hold down the strings.  Buying a bass with good string action makes it easier to play, and consequently, quicker to learn.  Bargain basses with good string action are certainly available- try yamaha, ibanez, squier, fender (mexico), cort, peavey, there are a host of others.

Once you've determined the bass has good string action, play around on different parts of the neck.  Bass necks can vary widely in their shape and thickness.  You may find it more comfortable to play on a tapered-flatter neck, or a fatter C-shaped neck, etc.  I tend to like my strings set very low on a neck that is a little fatter (I'm more of a Fender guy).  There was a time, however, when I only played low profile ibanez-style necks. 

After that, check the tone.  This is a little more variable depending on the amp.  I suggest using a similar amp at similar settings for every bass you try.  Just about every store will have one of those ampeg 1x15 cubes.  It sounds dumb, but set everything flat (all EQ knobs at 5) and try to dial a tone with the bass's volume and tone knob.  A word of advice- if you think you only want to play with a pick, try playing with your fingers as well.  You may change your mind depending on the style of music.  You can play metal, punk, etc, with your fingers, it's rare to find good tone playing jazz or blues with a pick. 

Last, check the looks.  Although this is initially what draws most people to a bass, remember that actually being able to play and liking what you hear is key.  It's not uncommon for a good looking bass to be unplayable to a particular player (Rics always feel super awkward to me, so I don't play them, although they look cool as hell).  Given the plethora of available basses, this shouldn't be a problem.  Don't neglect the used section, it can afford the best value, and you will eventually put a nick in your shiny new bass.

Amp-  The key here is to find something that sounds relatively good and is loud enough to get over a drumset and a guitar. Don't buy one of those little rinky-dink 15 watt amps.  You'll just end up buying another amp shortly, because eventually you'll want to play with other people.  There are numerous configurations you can go with here, but for your experience level a combo, where the amplifier and speakers are joined in one unit, would make the most sense.  Combos have gotten really powerful in recent years, and they've gotten really good at tuning the cabs for a more full sound.  At a bare minimum, I would say shoot for the 100-150 watt range.  Keep in mind, this will still be quiet if your drummer turns out to be a basher.

With amps it's the same principle as picking a bass.  Play lots of them.  You may prefer the added attack of a 2x10 combo over the rumble of a 1x15 or vice versa.  You might like something with the growl of a tube preamp, etc.  Try ampeg, fender, behringer, ashdown, gallien-krueger, SWR, fender, etc..

Overall, I think the best thing you can do is buy things that sound versatile.  After that, play with as many different people as you possible can.  Jazz, blues, metal, rock, folk, it doesn't matter.  Just make sure they are better than you.  Trying to keep up is how you get better.

Best of luck!

imapiratearg

« Reply #83 on: 11 Oct 2007, 12:40 »

Try ampeg, fender, behringer, ashdown, gallien-krueger, SWR, fender, etc..

Are you implying something sir?  :]

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #84 on: 11 Oct 2007, 13:13 »

That I'm haphazard with my posts?

Actually, I'm not huge on fender for bass amps.  I love the guitar amps, though.  I recently bought a Behringer 4210 combo for my bass.   I had been wanting to downsize for some time, but never dreamed I'd buy a Behringer.  It was a surprisingly nice sounding amp for almost no money. I put in some Emenince 10s in to replace the crappy Bugeras, and did away with my huge Ampeg fullstack.  400 watts, tube preamp, full eq, and a balanced DI for less than $400.  Amazing.

Just to add to the cool picture post- I just ordered this '81 Ibanez Roadstar refin with original old school DiMarzios -

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #85 on: 12 Oct 2007, 06:42 »

Thanks for the advice, everyone that replied to me.  :-D You've been very helpful. (I didn't even know bassists used picks! Ya learn somethin' new every day..)

I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about hitting a store and trying their models out. Seeing as I'm a noob, and that this will be obvious to anyone that looks at me (I can hold a guitar, and maybe play the first 10 seconds of a Smashing Pumpkins song, but that's the limit of my knowledge) I'm worried about the reactions the shopkeepers might have. Namely that they'll hassle me to buy something lame or something out of my price range.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #86 on: 12 Oct 2007, 06:56 »

I bought a brand new Gibson Faded SG Special exactly one month ago. The headstock broke today. She is one month old and already dead.

The moral of the story is WHAT THE FUCK THAT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN GUYS
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #87 on: 12 Oct 2007, 08:46 »

Oh dear god no  :cry:

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #88 on: 12 Oct 2007, 08:47 »

That is a tragedy of monstrous proportions.

On the other hand, you'll probably meet your future wife when you're looking for a new one.  That's the only way I can imagine the karma balancing out.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #89 on: 12 Oct 2007, 09:01 »

I bought a brand new Gibson Faded SG Special exactly one month ago. The headstock broke today. She is one month old and already dead.

Oh my. *hugs*
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #90 on: 12 Oct 2007, 09:46 »

I recently bought a Behringer 4210 combo for my bass.   I had been wanting to downsize for some time, but never dreamed I'd buy a Behringer.  It was a surprisingly nice sounding amp for almost no money. 

So did it stop working yet? Give it a few days.

I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about hitting a store and trying their models out. Seeing as I'm a noob, and that this will be obvious to anyone that looks at me (I can hold a guitar, and maybe play the first 10 seconds of a Smashing Pumpkins song, but that's the limit of my knowledge) I'm worried about the reactions the shopkeepers might have. Namely that they'll hassle me to buy something lame or something out of my price range.

Don't be. Fuck music shop workers. Seriously.

Also
I didn't even know bassists used picks!

That's because we don't.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

imapiratearg

« Reply #91 on: 12 Oct 2007, 09:59 »

Oh dear...I'm...I don't know what to say...I'm sorry, man...

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #92 on: 12 Oct 2007, 10:03 »

The bad news- you broke your guitar.  The good news- Gibson-style headstocks are easier to repair than any other because of their "paddle" shape,  provided you saved the pieces, and the thing just cracked through, instead of being smashed to smithereens.  If that's the case, you can generally do the fix at home, or most repair shops will do it for about $100 without a refinish.  It's basically just a glue job with some clamps. This is all provided the crack is in the head stock, and not where the headstock meets the neck joint.  If it is, it's still reapairable, but they have dig out channels and inlay some strips of wood to reinforce the headstock, which can be a little pricier.  

Many, many Gibsons snap at the headstock because of the angle at which they are set.  Many, many Gibsons are repaired after the break and never have problems again.  Just type in "Gibson SG headstock crack" in google and you'll see tons of them.  

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #93 on: 12 Oct 2007, 10:25 »

I recently bought a Behringer 4210 combo for my bass.   I had been wanting to downsize for some time, but never dreamed I'd buy a Behringer.  It was a surprisingly nice sounding amp for almost no money. 

So did it stop working yet? Give it a few days.
[/quote]

Actually, by "recently" I mean about a year and a half ago- and its running strong as can be.  The speakers sucked, and I took it to a shop to have it professionally braced, but other than that it's fine.  I've played with several other bassists who use the stand alone head that's in my model and they love love it.  Sound guys and the engineer on my last recording loved the balanced DI, although I usually ask to be mic'd as well, and in smaller clubs I have enough power to get over the band and audience. While they're not the most consistent company in the world, they can occasionally make a good product, and this is one.

I didn't even know bassists used picks!

That's because we don't.
[/quote]

I am personally not a fan of the pick at all, but i wouldn't tell anyone they are doing something improper by using one.   In bands like Shiner and the Jesus Lizard, the attack that is created with a pick works for the sound they're going for.  If you are experienced, however, you can get that same sound with your fingers just by altering your hand position and how hard you play. The real drawback to a pick is that you give up a lot of the versatility that playing with your fingers provides. 

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #94 on: 12 Oct 2007, 10:53 »

I actually agree with you on the pick thing. That was just a personal joke.

As for amps, I might be buying a little Mark Bass amp soon and getting rid of my Fender amp. About time, too.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #95 on: 12 Oct 2007, 13:51 »

Many, many Gibsons snap at the headstock because of the angle at which they are set.  Many, many Gibsons are repaired after the break and never have problems again.  Just type in "Gibson SG headstock crack" in google and you'll see tons of them.  

Hm, that's good information to have. Maybe the next time I buy a Gibson (unlikely, at this rate) then I'll just *intentionally break that shit* and have it repaired and it'll never be dickish again.

EDIT: Fuck, it's at the head-to-neck transition area... thank GOD this is still under warranty. They might as well replace it. Wish I could keep the pickups though...

And thanks for the well wishes, you guys. I'm not in the best state right now. That was ALL my money from this summer and I am really upset about it, so thanks.

EDIT EDIT: fuck no more booze, that took too long to type
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2007, 14:03 by KimJongSick »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #96 on: 12 Oct 2007, 15:06 »

Shit dude, my condolences. But yeah I've seen a fair bit of Gibsons snap at the headstock, and it's totally fixable.

(Though getting it replaced would prolly be nicer)

Phaedra, just go to the right shop. As I said before, large warehouse music chains (Sam Ash, Guitar Center) pay by commission, so the employees won't care nearly as much that you get the instrument that's right for you. They'll try to sell you something expensive, and if you say no, they'll sell you some cheap crap. They're also intimidating places to try things out if you're new to your instrument, 'cause you'll have 6 or 7 people around you shredding and playing Stairway To Heaven (what's the bass equivalent??).

So check out your local music shop- they're really nice about you trying everything out, even if it takes an hour or two for you to find the right instrument. They'll set your bass up for you (make sure it's properly stringed, action [the distance between the strings and the fretboard. If you're new, you want the action lower because you haven't built up the finger strength needed to press the strings down hard yet] suits you, it's in tune) and sign off on everything before you go home so you don't wind up with a ton of expensive crap.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #97 on: 12 Oct 2007, 15:07 »

That I'm haphazard with my posts?

Actually, I'm not huge on fender for bass amps.  I love the guitar amps, though.  I recently bought a Behringer 4210 combo for my bass.   I had been wanting to downsize for some time, but never dreamed I'd buy a Behringer.  It was a surprisingly nice sounding amp for almost no money. I put in some Emenince 10s in to replace the crappy Bugeras, and did away with my huge Ampeg fullstack.  400 watts, tube preamp, full eq, and a balanced DI for less than $400.  Amazing.

Just to add to the cool picture post- I just ordered this '81 Ibanez Roadstar refin with original old school DiMarzios -

What a fabulous specimen.

How much did he cost you? Do they have him in ginger? I could put him to work in my garden.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #98 on: 12 Oct 2007, 17:13 »

"What a fabulous specimen.  How much did he cost you? Do they have him in ginger? I could put him to work in my garden."

Yeah, they would only sell the bass, not the child labor.  I found out when I asked the shop owner to poke holes in the shipping box.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #99 on: 13 Oct 2007, 12:58 »

...good news, guys, for both me and all of you. Their customer service department is all kinds of accomodating. They said as soon as I get back to the U.S. (December) I can call their 800 number and talk to them about getting my shit replaced.

<3 <3 <3, you guys.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 86   Go Up