THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar Topic  (Read 1960655 times)

Caspian

• The Tickler
Re: The Guitar Topic
« Reply #4200 on: 12 Apr 2009, 00:10 »

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that the example of that noodly bridge sound was LATE Beatles, not early Beatles.
The Beatles from Rubber Soul on were anything BUT shit.

And Willie Nelson could out-country Johnny Cash any day of the week.

Country isn't really inherently bad, but it goes against my criteria for good music: big riffs and/or epic atmosphere.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4201 on: 12 Apr 2009, 09:22 »

DADABE tuning + strat + loose playing style = instant pavement!

Seriously, everyone should try this. You can just play power chords and pick random notes

Cadeonehalf

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #4202 on: 12 Apr 2009, 10:32 »

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that the example of that noodly bridge sound was LATE Beatles, not early Beatles.
The Beatles from Rubber Soul on were anything BUT shit.

And Willie Nelson could out-country Johnny Cash any day of the week.

Country isn't really inherently bad, but it goes against my criteria for good music: big riffs and/or epic atmosphere.

So songs like say, While My Guitar Gently Weeps don't have big riffs or epic atmosphere?
Quote from: the_pied_piper
You are a hippie white guy with a huge afro. You have musical taste when it suits you but generally decide to ignore it and end up listening to mostly jarring noise.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #4203 on: 12 Apr 2009, 11:13 »

"Helter Skelter" anybody?

See also: Built To Spill, Modest Mouse, the goddamn Rolling Stones? I don't even LIKE most of the Rolling Stones' stuff but man, if you want riffs, there's your fucking riffs.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #4204 on: 12 Apr 2009, 11:47 »

Seriously, everyone should try this. You can just play power chords and pick random notes

Really?  I thought it was some kind of C tuning.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #4205 on: 12 Apr 2009, 12:36 »

I went ahead with the DADABE tuning and just jammed on my Jazzmaster for twenty minutes, and I came up with like three new song ideas.

Whether or not they sound like Pavement is up for debate, but the experiment was definitely worth it, at least for me. Keep in mind, aside from playing Sonic Youth songs, I rarely venture out of standard EADGBE territory.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2009, 12:38 by Tehz »

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4206 on: 12 Apr 2009, 13:43 »

Really?  I thought it was some kind of C tuning.

They use that DADABE one plus a C one. See http://masseyentertainment.com/pavetabs/ for some tabs in the proper tunings.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #4207 on: 12 Apr 2009, 13:50 »

For my alternate tuning needs I just tune the first, third and fifth strings down a step so it becomes DACGAE.

(hee hee gae)

Alternate tunings are delicious!

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #4208 on: 12 Apr 2009, 14:38 »

Tehz

« Reply #4209 on: 12 Apr 2009, 17:20 »

That's probably one of the best things that someone who's having trouble coming up with new riffs can do; just tune the guitar into something really weird and just jam for a while.

MakuseruSukotto

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4210 on: 12 Apr 2009, 19:53 »

Ugggggggghhhhh,

Need another Jazzmaster.

Someone trade me one for a Gretsch and some pedals and some cash.  :wink:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4211 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:49 »

Guys I don't know why but the Kosovar kids seem to think that certain guitars are "only good for clean" or "only good for distortion" and man I really want to hit my friend Arti upside the head with a Telecaster right now.

Even if you have 50 Jazzmasters you always need another Jazzmaster. After I get the hollowbody I am getting (I can't wait until I finally have the money for this fuckerrrrrr, thank god the dude is really chill about this stuff), I will try to get hold of an AVRI Jazzy in sunburst. Because there is nothing sexier.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4212 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:57 »

Is this a good deal? I'm going there on Thursday so hopefully I'll be able to try it out. It's very tempting, I might sell my strat (which hopefully has increased in price since I bought it)

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #4213 on: 13 Apr 2009, 08:41 »

So, I just got what I consider to be the ultimate sleeper guitar - an Ibanez Talman tc 825.  It has a silver sparkle paint job, white pearloid guard with matching pearloid truss rod cover and pearloid tuning keys on 3x3 headstock, dual (hot as fuck) humbuckers, graphite nut, factory installed bigsby, and a rosewood fretboard on a satin finish figured maple neck.  It plays like my tele, but sounds like my tele on 'roids. I am in love...

This doesn't quite do it justice, but here's an old catalog pic- http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1998/98028.jpg

The crazy thing is the poly coat on mine is now 12 years old and has decided to yellow, which gives the guitar a real fender shoreline gold look. 

MakuseruSukotto

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4214 on: 13 Apr 2009, 09:14 »

So, I just got what I consider to be the ultimate sleeper guitar - an Ibanez Talman tc 825.  It has a silver sparkle paint job, white pearloid guard with matching pearloid truss rod cover and pearloid tuning keys on 3x3 headstock, dual (hot as fuck) humbuckers, graphite nut, factory installed bigsby, and a rosewood fretboard on a satin finish figured maple neck.  It plays like my tele, but sounds like my tele on 'roids. I am in love...

This doesn't quite do it justice, but here's an old catalog pic- http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1998/98028.jpg

The crazy thing is the poly coat on mine is now 12 years old and has decided to yellow, which gives the guitar a real fender shoreline gold look. 

I like it better with the lipstick pickips, ala Michael James.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4215 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:39 »

Remember how I hate like all Ibanezes except Jet Kings? Talmans are another exception. Nice pickup.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #4216 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:53 »

Thanks.  I traded an Epi Firebird for it.  The guy who traded it to me was really into pointy guitars and Gibsons and said the Talman just didn't fit him, but it was so unqiue and sounded and played so well he had to buy it.   I wasn't sure at first until I saw it in person and played it.  After that, I was hooked. 

The guy who owned it was really cool; he didn't really care for the Epi, but he saw how much I liked the Talman, so he decided to trade me anyway thinking he could sell the Firebird quicker than the Talman.  He asked to play the Talman one more time before I left and actually got misty when I put it in the case to leave.  Happy ending to the story, though; he traded an American Strat and the Firebird for a really nice Les Paul classic. 
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2009, 10:55 by Chad K. »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4217 on: 13 Apr 2009, 11:05 »

Haha, I traded my Epi Firebird recently, too. Got that LP Junior clone I posted a page or two back for it.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #4218 on: 13 Apr 2009, 11:11 »

What's the brand on the Junior?  It looks like an old Ventura.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4219 on: 13 Apr 2009, 11:16 »

Diamond. Supposedly it's out of the Matsumoko factory, which I guess was know for making really good shit? Who knows, I really dig it nonetheless. It's that sort of guitar that you just pick up and rock.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #4220 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:26 »

Make no mistake- Matsumoku made great guitars.  I have an '82 Aria Pro II Thor Sound out of their that is an amzing guitar.  I also used to have a j-bass that made me sell my G&L L2000 because I'd stopped playing it.  If I'm not mistaken, Diamond was a brand of the Arai guitar company that also made Aria guitars. Definitely nice score if its from uncle Matty.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4221 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:51 »

I get a real nice split-coil (not quite single) tone out of the Nitefly bridge(DiMarzio tapped)when I use it. And it makes awesome use of the mod efx in that mode. It's like all the hummm is converted to yummmm.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

zerobar

« Reply #4222 on: 13 Apr 2009, 20:45 »

I got my Peavey Vandenberg today. I'd looked for a while at one of these, since they only come up for sale about once every two months, and I've heard nothing but great things about them. It's awesome. American made, AWESOME ebony neck, and sweet stock pickups. Pretty awesome, especially for the price. I HIGHLY recommend one.

here's links to some more pictures. (I didn't want to clog up the board)

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6084/dscf0381m.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7879/dscf0382uef.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7895/dscf0379a.jpg

Invammocon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4223 on: 14 Apr 2009, 03:10 »

Are Teisco guitars good? I don't know anything about guitar as far as technical things go. All I know is that my friends dad got it in like 1969 and it sat in the closet for like 30 years or something, it's in pretty nice condition considering I got it free, from what I could look up on it, it's called a "Tulip".

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4224 on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:59 »

I say yes, but I'm a fan of weird, cheap, old shit.

Tehz

« Reply #4225 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:22 »

You got a Tulip for free?

They're not like, the best guitars in the world--not even by a long shot, really--but that's still pretty awesome that you got one for free.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #4226 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:23 »

From what I have seen, Teisco makes some interesting guitars at least.

You guys have any experience with the Ampeg Super Stud guitar? There's one on craigslist here for $450 and I want so badly to buy it because I'm totally in love with no-name or unknown guitars that look awesome.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4227 on: 14 Apr 2009, 13:58 »

Our retard ex-drummer was throwing his and his brothers' silvertones in the dumpster when some lady stopped him and asked if she could use them for some kids' home. When he told me I wanted to punch him in the junk.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Tehz

« Reply #4228 on: 14 Apr 2009, 14:17 »

Ugh, stories like that infuriate me.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4229 on: 14 Apr 2009, 16:13 »

I literally stared at him with my mouth open.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4230 on: 14 Apr 2009, 17:08 »

Why didn't you STAB HIM dude, people like that should not exist

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #4231 on: 14 Apr 2009, 21:27 »

You should have stabbed him in the junk.

Tehz

« Reply #4232 on: 14 Apr 2009, 21:54 »

With your junk.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #4233 on: 15 Apr 2009, 04:10 »

Woah this thread took a really interesting turn
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4234 on: 15 Apr 2009, 06:13 »

Guys

GUYS

I may just sell my Marshall to finance this little sucker (I was planning on financing a Blues DeVille with it, but man, I think I will just save up for the DeVille and live without the extra $400). UNFFFFFFFF tiny all-valve amp with 2 footswitchable channels an effects loop! It's perfect for recording because I still get to dick with all the effects I want to dick with.

8===========D

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4235 on: 15 Apr 2009, 06:19 »

what amp do you have just now?

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4236 on: 15 Apr 2009, 07:06 »

You should have stabbed him in the junk.
Well we just kicked him out of the band. His decision re: the Silvertones was not the reason but a symptom of his overall suckiness which in fact WAS the reason. Of course being kicked out of my band might be considered doing him a favor?  :-o
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

zerobar

« Reply #4237 on: 15 Apr 2009, 10:05 »

^Were they original "Dano" Silvertones, or were they they new Samick copies? If they were the Samicks that's SLIGHTLY more forgivable, although equally as stupid.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4238 on: 15 Apr 2009, 10:58 »

Likely late 60's or early 70s. I know they were their first guitars and he's got a few yrs on me. At least they didn't get dumpstered. Some crackhead might drop them at a pawn shop.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

zerobar

« Reply #4239 on: 15 Apr 2009, 14:16 »

^that's awful. Although, it's people like that that keep me checking out pawn shops. I found a 83 Kramer Pacer that probably ended up there about the same way.

On a completely different note, after fiddling around with that Vandenberg for a few days, I can fully say I'm in love with it, although it does have a few quirks. There are two volume knobs, but no tone, and the front volume operates the bridge. Kinda makes sense, though, when you think about it.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4240 on: 15 Apr 2009, 16:49 »

what amp do you have just now?

MG100DFX. The original one, not the newer one. I don't hate it or anything, but I just can't get quite the adjustability out of it that I know I can get out of that Fender (I've used the sucker before).

Also guys, I know most of you in this thread know how much Sonic Youth's treatment of instruments pisses me off, but this story is definitely heartwarming regardless.

This story isn't even over, he's only just attempted to contact the band within the last 10 hours or so (I didn't check the timestamp but that's the last time I was on OSG and the thread wasn't there at that point), so I'm really excited to see what happens.

Tehz

« Reply #4241 on: 15 Apr 2009, 18:01 »

I was gonna come in here and bring that up.

Such a cool story, I can't wait to see how everything turns out.

zerobar

« Reply #4242 on: 15 Apr 2009, 18:47 »

MG100DFX. The original one, not the newer one. I don't hate it or anything, but I just can't get quite the adjustability out of it that I know I can get out of that Fender (I've used the sucker before).[/quote]

Have you ever tried one of the Carvin tube combos? I've got an older one and the clean's amazing. Literally will play at 100W without distorting at all, if you want it. As good as any fender I've ever played. Plus you can choose on the back between 25, 50, and 100 watts. I'm not sure if their newer combos have them, but alot of the older ones had a built in five band eq you could assign to the different channels to get whatever overdrive type you want. Crazy versatile, since you could get the sound of a 100 watt combo cranked at 50W volume. Oh, and they're really cheap too, plus you can order them in whatever color tolex/tweed/faux leather you want for, something like, $20 extra.

They're not exactly easy to adjust to what you want, since there's so much there to mess with, but you can essentially get a Fender clean on one channel, and a Marshall overdrive on the other at the same time.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4243 on: 16 Apr 2009, 09:32 »

W :mrgreen:W re: Sonic Youth guitars. That was YEARS ago when they were stolen.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4244 on: 16 Apr 2009, 10:34 »

I forgot Fender ever made those funky Telecaster Basses in the 70s. Squier's got a reissue, and I want one so bad, right now.

NotAFanOfFenders

• even furrier
« Reply #4245 on: 16 Apr 2009, 11:01 »

I've wanted a singlecut tele bass ever since i first saw the one in this thread.

Tehz

« Reply #4246 on: 16 Apr 2009, 12:22 »

So guys, I think I'm gonna try to build a Partsmaster once I have some more scratch on hand. I've done the math and it wouldn't be too expensive (not much more than a thousand at most) and I'd be able to get it exactly how I want it. I'm thinking a Sonic Blue/Surf Green Warmoth Jazzmaster body, standard Warmoth Strat neck, Jazzmaster tremolo, brown tort pickguard, Mastery Bridge, mini-humbucker in the neck and a P90 in the bridge. I could imagine it being somewhat more than a regular Jazzy with such pickups, as well as there just being some interesting tonal possibilities in general.  I also think I would skip on the rhythm circuit for two reasons: first, it would probably be easier to wire that way, and second, I hardly ever even use the rhythm circuit on my Jazzmaster as it is, so it would be kind of pointless.

Somewhat ambitious, sure, but I feel like it's more than possible.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4247 on: 16 Apr 2009, 12:25 »

Have you ever tried one of the Carvin tube combos? I've got an older one and the clean's amazing. Literally will play at 100W without distorting at all, if you want it. As good as any fender I've ever played. Plus you can choose on the back between 25, 50, and 100 watts. (more stuff)

They're not exactly easy to adjust to what you want, since there's so much there to mess with, but you can essentially get a Fender clean on one channel, and a Marshall overdrive on the other at the same time.

Haven't even heard of it. The reason I want the Fender isn't just the clean channel, I love the distortion channel as well. I'm not a fan of super-saturated distortion, so I wouldn't really need something like what I think you're describing (and I've got my Tonebone for that anyway). When I go into a heavier distortion, I look for a sound like in "Helter Skelter" by the Beatles. Not too heavy, but it gets the job done.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4248 on: 16 Apr 2009, 13:56 »

I forgot Fender ever made those funky Telecaster Basses in the 70s. Squier's got a reissue, and I want one so bad, right now.

Cris Kirkwood from Meat Puppets played one when I saw them.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #4249 on: 16 Apr 2009, 14:35 »

One of my friends plays on a Jag Bass and I love that thing so much I want to take up bass... or rather I just want to buy a Jag guitar.  I have a hard time actually deciding to save up for that or a tele though.  My Rickenbacker makes all the sound I've ever wanted from a standard setup Jag or Tele and better, but it would still be nice to have.  I've been considering getting a Les Paul Studio for a HH guitar, but between that and the Rick my arms would fall off after a show.  Anymore I'd rather just stand up there with my Dano, jumping around and wailing on it with all the extra energy I have.  Damn that thing is light.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86   Go Up