THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 00:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wire is awesome, British TV less so  (Read 42787 times)

eddie

• Furry furrier
Re: The Wire is awesome, British TV less so
« Reply #50 on: 11 Dec 2008, 06:47 »

Not all brit tv sucks, the new series of Spooks and that new drama survivors are pretty good.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #51 on: 11 Dec 2008, 19:47 »

For fans of the show . . .

Thanks for that, it was pretty interesting to listen to while I was working. Though, was it just my imagination, or did they spend three-and-a-quarter hours talking about the Wire and not mention Bunk even once?!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #52 on: 12 Dec 2008, 00:15 »

Wasn't just you. No mention of Daniels either!
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #53 on: 13 Dec 2008, 03:09 »

I just got a Seasons 1-5 in China, I will watch it when I get back to Sydney.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #54 on: 13 Dec 2008, 10:18 »

This show is so damn good! It's pretty near flawless. I'm part way through season 2, trying my best to catch up and seriously tempted to watch more instead of writing the paper's that are worth half my grade this semester. Seriously, everything about it is brilliant and I'm truly sad it's off the air and I'll only be able to watch three more seasons of it after this one.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

phbihop

« Reply #55 on: 26 Dec 2008, 14:18 »

Season 4 is maybe the best season of TV ever made. I thought nothing could top Season 1, but Season 4 was just... amazing. Season 5 was kind of disappointing, but it has grown on me.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #56 on: 06 Feb 2009, 16:18 »

Damned if I'm going to let this thread slip off the front page like that.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #57 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:24 »

Well played, sir.

Has anyone seen The Corner yet? It was showing on FX in the UK not long ago and i didn't get a chance to see it. I heard that it was pretty much the same cast as The Wire so i have high hopes for whenever i do get the chance.

I do know that it is in fact from 2000 for anyone who may have suspected otherwise.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #58 on: 08 Feb 2009, 04:39 »

The Corner is very different in tone from the Wire. It's still rewarding viewing - though grim, as it doesn't shy away from depicting the ravages on the human body of long-term drug addiction - but if you go into it expecting to see the Wire: the prequel you'll be disappointed. It does indeed have many of the same actors as the Wire, but none of them in the main roles and all of them in very different roles from those they play in the Wire. Clarke Peters, for instance, who played Freamon in the Wire, plays a drug addict in the Corner.

Unlike the Wire, the Corner depicts only one aspect of the "War on Drugs" , namely, the lives of the addicts and their families and friends, so don't expect the wide-ranging examination of city life that you get in the Wire. Also, the Corner is filmed as a mixture of faux-documentary and slice-of-life human drama, so it doesn't have any of the great dramatic sweep of the Wire. It's altogether a more small-scale, intimate examination of inner-city life.

It's a good series, and worth watching, but you might not find it as gripping or as entertaining - for want of a better word - as the Wire.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 24 Mar 2009, 04:54 »

Hey Britons, now you've got no excuse not to watch the Wire: apparently the Beeb is going to start showing it nightly on B.B.C. 2, from first episode to last, starting on the 30th of March. That's next Monday. Do yourselves a favour!

In other news, late last year the Australian Broadcasting Corporation finally released season 1 of their acclaimed early-nineties police procedural Phoenix on D.V.D. This might be of interest to Wire fans because it also follows a single police investigation over the course of the entire season, step-by-step and in deeply authentic detail. Sure, a lot of the production techniques and stylistic choices have aged poorly, but it's definitely worth checking out if you're interested in this kind of thing.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #60 on: 30 Aug 2009, 17:01 »

I'm putting this back on the front page to tell all the Australians who may not know that ABC2 will be showing season one Tuesdays at 9:30, starting tomorrow.

I am going to piss off so many people by making sure absolutely everyone knows about it over the next thirtysomething hours.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #61 on: 30 Aug 2009, 18:22 »

Oh good, I'm glad someone else did this for me!

I read in a review that they're showing seasons 1-3, which sort of makes sense in that that's basically the complete Barksdale storyline, but I'd be surprised if they don't end up showing the others, too. Channel 9 might still have the rights to Season 5 as, to the best of my knowledge, they haven't screened it yet in Australia (they've screened all the other seasons, though so late at night and with so little fanfare that you probably missed them). Also, ABC2 is showing the first two episodes back-to-back, which is probably a good idea as the first episode is a bit bumpy. I don't know if they're going to continue doing that throughout the entire run.

Has anyone else noticed how TV reviewers and other people are finally starting to talk about this show? I think a lot of people have caught up with it since it came out on DVD. About time!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #62 on: 30 Aug 2009, 18:46 »

It would be a real shame if they don't show all five. I enjoyed the first three seasons the most by far, the Hamsterdam plotline was the peak for me, but when you take the show as a whole it absolutely needs those last two seasons. Aside from perhaps a little too much schmaltz in season four, one character who was a bit too stereotyped (the academic) and that plot in season five being perhaps a little far-fetched I don't think they could have been made any better, and they're completely necessary for broadening the scope to the level needed and emphasising the cyclical nature of life in West Baltimore. Even those criticisms are things I'd have barely noticed in almost any other piece of art, it's a testament to The Wire's incredibly high standards across the board and the amount of time it's prompted me to spend thinking about the programme that I even registered them.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 30 Aug 2009, 19:47 »

I've watched each of the seasons at least three times, and some of them four or five times, and for some reason I could never really get into season 3. It just never quite seemed to get into gear for me, it never seemed to quite get up to those incredible Wire heights and I couldn't see why so many people count it as their favourite. But just recently I watched the whole series all the way through from season 1 episode 1 to season 5 episode 10 for the first time and I finally got season 3. I realised that, in effect, the Hamsterdam story is the B-plot; the real story is the decline and fall of the Barksdale empire. And when I watched it like that, as the culmination of three seasons' worth of storytelling, it was amazing.

As for season 5, it's clearly the weakest of the lot but it does have rewards and, as with all season of the Wire, it only gets better with repeat viewing. I like to think of the serial killer storyline as something of a satire on other, lesser cop shows, with their obsession with over-the-top serial killers: the only time the Wire features what a villain who'd be recognised as a serial killer in the conventional sense, and it's all made up!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #64 on: 30 Aug 2009, 20:21 »

* Warning: this post is chock full of spoilers. *

I think I saw it in reverse to you so to speak, because the first time I saw it I enjoyed Hamsterdam but a huge part of my attention was given over to all the "that's fucking brilliant" moments related to the Barksdale plotline. The dream team of Brother Mouzone and Omar with their fantastic Western-styled face-off, Avon being brought down, Bell and Bunny meeting in the graveyard, neither Stringer nor Avon being able to look at Brianna when she brings Avon the accusations over D'Angelo's death (possibly the best single scene they ever did) and of course Stringer's death. You really couldn't ask for a better end for the Barksdale story, the whole thing is superbly crafted. On subsequent viewings I found myself drawn more to Hamsterdam and Bubbles, and trying to think through what was going on with Hamsterdam as a ghetto within the ghetto.

I never thought about the serial killer plot like that. Although I'd hazard that it might be The Wire criticising itself as much as other cop shows. One of the reasons I think season five is so crucial to The Wire when taken as a whole is because it's where they most directly apply their lense to the media and it's role in what happens, and The Wire is part of the media. I never felt like they gave themselves an easier ride than anyone else, critiquing their own biased viewpoint and the limitations of their medium while they were ripping apart the war on drugs, urban economic decline, the education system and just about everything else.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #65 on: 12 Mar 2010, 23:26 »

Thread necro from beyond the grave!

So I am three episodes into Season Five and mostly I was hoping to get other people's opinions on the "serial killer" plotline, especially re: it's plausibility.

As far as I can tell based on other places I've read (mostly Alan Sepinwall's INCREDIBLE blogs on The Wire: thank you so much John for linking to them, they have really really helped me pick up on all of the connections and callbacks and myriad characters and significant stuff I never would've got on my own) that the general mood towards that storyline was that it was a complete misstep for the show and based on everything that had come before was completely out of tune.

I however see it as being completely in line with McNulty's character, and even when Lester joins in at the end of Ep.3 I think it still makes sense, as both characters' most basic attribute is a willingness to not only fuck everybody else over, but also to throw themselves on the fire in service of getting their man. Remember that when we first met Lester he'd been shuffled away to the pawn shop unit for doing pretty much the exact same thing years earlier.

My only gripe with it is that it all seems a bit rushed and there is a tad lacking in the subtlety ('there's a "b" in "subtle"?') department, which to me is an unfortunate but also understandable side effect of being cut down to ten episodes in Season Five, while still expanding the scope out to include the newspaper as well as the cops, dealers, politicians and so on and on and on.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 12 Mar 2010, 23:32 »

I think I've said it in this thread before somewhere, but I've always liked to think of the "serial killer" plotline as a satire on other American cop shows, almost all of which are utterly obsessed with serial killers.

Also Dovey, how's your emotional state post-Season 4?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #67 on: 13 Mar 2010, 00:11 »

(mostly Alan Sepinwall's INCREDIBLE blogs on The Wire: thank you so much John for linking to them, they have really really helped me pick up on all of the connections and callbacks and myriad characters and significant stuff I never would've got on my own)
N/P. Sepinwall writes about a lot of great shows, but he made his name on the Wire stuff, for good reason. He's in the middle of a labor of love going over the seasons of the Wire and posting a second set of reviews that reevaluate the show for those who've already seen it, because The Wire is just the kind of show that gets better on second viewing. When you're done with that check out Sportnsight, which is for me far and away the best thing Aaron Sorkin has ever done, West Wing be damned (Sorkin apparently hates Sepinwall for being a big critic of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip). I think he also had some good commentary on In Treatment.

I however see it as being completely in line with McNulty's character, and even when Lester joins in at the end of Ep.3 I think it still makes sense, as both characters' most basic attribute is a willingness to not only fuck everybody else over, but also to throw themselves on the fire in service of getting their man. Remember that when we first met Lester he'd been shuffled away to the pawn shop unit for doing pretty much the exact same thing years earlier.

My only gripe with it is that it all seems a bit rushed and there is a tad lacking in the subtlety ('there's a "b" in "subtle"?') department, which to me is an unfortunate but also understandable side effect of being cut down to ten episodes in Season Five, while still expanding the scope out to include the newspaper as well as the cops, dealers, politicians and so on and on and on.
Maybe you haven't gotten to this yet (and it's not really a spoiler) but the main gripe that Sepinwall had was that the Newspaper storyline really does feel like score settling on David Simon's part, coming out of the journalism business a bitter idealist the way he did and seeing the fourth estate reduced to ruin. It's a valid complaint, especially when you compare the Newspaper storyline characters to characters from other seasons of the show. They don't feel nearly as fleshed out - the editors are well and truly idiots, the white guy is an opportunist, Clark Johnson is the principled Simon stand-in, etc. As savage as the Wire universe was there were very few real villains (at least until Marlo Stanfield enters the picture) yet the paper administrators have no redeeming qualities at all. Perhaps that's a function of the squashed time limit (though past seasons had just as much plot and never felt nearly this constricted).

But if you're worried that all this will mean the game ending on a muddled or bad note, I wouldn't.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2010, 00:15 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 13 Mar 2010, 00:24 »

I've watched season 5 a few times now and I think there are more subtle shades in some of the newspaper characters than they're given credit for. The editor (can't remember his name, but he's played by the guy who was Mel's husband in Flight of the Conchords) strikes me as being someone who deep down knows he's peddling bullshit, but has decided to toe the company line to save his own skin. Gus Haynes meanwhile is not entirely, I feel, the golden saint he's usually described as: early in the season there's a scene where he completely brushes Templeton off by saying something like "That's good, stay hungry" - and this is before he's even started to have doubts about Templeton's work. I get the sense that Haynes clearly plays favourites and that if you're not his favourite it would be very frustrating trying to work under him and get yourself noticed.

Of course it's very arguable that these kinds of subtle shades of grey come almost entirely from the actors and/or directors rather than from the script.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #69 on: 13 Mar 2010, 01:40 »

Yep Harry pretty much said what I was going to. I generally think that any gripes about the newspaper storyline and it's applicability to the goings-on in a real newspaper can be applied to any other area of the show. There are certain aspects and events which have been amplified or simplified for storytelling expediency, and generally most characters have direct analogues with other characters on the show, particularly within the police hierarchy. It's worth thinking about the portrayal of a character like Bill Rawls or even Daniels in the first season and comparing that with the roles newspaper characters play with regards to their institution.

Sepinwall repeatedly states that the complaints leveled at newspaper characters have more to do with reviewers and writers being more familiar with a newsroom than a police station or a drug corner and so inaccuracies are more apparent and takes the veneer off of what they previously saw as The Wire's infallible adherence to facts. The Wire was never 100% accurate, it's just most people never knew better, and it was still many orders of magnitude more accurate than anything else out there.

For the record I work in a newspaper's editorial department and seen the effect of the decline of print media (including two rounds of redundancies that went through the entire company in the past two years) and so have witnessed first-hand idealistic journalists have to make do with some very limiting realities. So when the editor makes his "do more with less" statements or dismisses Gus in their debate over the education series, I have a lot more sympathy with him than maybe most do who simply see him as another bureaucrat standing in the way of the truth in the vein of a Burrell or pretty much any of the political characters who aren't Carcetti.

John is right that they are pretty one-dimensional but in my opinion even though they pretty much serve as conduits for a viewpoint but I don't think those viewpoints are as concrete good/bad as it might seem.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #70 on: 13 Mar 2010, 13:43 »

I don't get to watch much brit TV, but what I do get to watch are brit mystery / Inspector series. What I generally like to do is pick out a character who's brought in early in the story to help the Inspector in some way and say "that's the guy who done it!".
Ebert called it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 08 Jun 2010, 19:13 »

If you are in New York this Saturday and you've got some money to splurge, you are one lucky motherfucker:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/play-paintball-with-the-cast-of-the-wire-this-satu,41925/

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #72 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:58 »

Bump bump bump to say that Sepinwall has finished his Wire recaps with the end of season 3 as of a few months ago (convenient as I am rewatching the series with my girlfriend (her first time) and just finished s3 last night) over at his new blog at HitFix.com. The "veterans" versions (including s4+5 spoilers) can be found here. He also conducted an interview with George Pelecanos on his contributions to the series, particularly his always brilliant-and-heartbreaking penultimate episodes right here.

EDIT: I'd just also like to talk a little about Season 3 in general, which I found very flat and unsatisfying the first time I watched it, but am certainly more convinced of this time. I think part of the reason I didn't enjoy S.3 the first time around was because a lot of it is actually laying groundwork for the two seasons to follow (a ballsy move by Simon and co., considering they didn't actually know they were getting a Season 4 while they were making S.3, and indeed wouldn't get it for 22 months) by introducing Tommy & the City Hall plotlines and Marlo & his crew and Cutty & his gym and setting Prez up for his exit from the BPD and his switch to teaching, as well as a lot of other characters and situations that will reverberate on down through the rest of the series (Slim Charles, looking deeper into Prop Joe's organisation, Omar realising that he needs to continue his vendetta against the Barksdale crew by himself, leading to his gradual decline and fall in S.5, heck there's even a brief bit of newspaper intrigue).

I think it also helped that I am watching the seasons in much closer succession than the first time I saw them, meaning that not only do S.3's connections to S.4 and S.5 become more clear, but the way that S.3 is a culmination of a lot of what happened in the first two seasons carries a lot more weight as well, meaning something like the scene where Brianna confronts Stringer and Avon about the possibility of D's death being a murder, or pretty much any scene with Avon and Stringer together have all the tension and subtext come through clear as day.

Season 3 of The Wire is the mathematical center of the show, but it's also the dramatic center, with most of the plotlines serving as bridges to past or future events. Viewed this way, the Hamsterdam plotline begins to make a lot more sense as well, in that The Wire is largely a story about the inescapable and cyclical nature of institutions, be they political institutions, or ingrained methods of doing police work, or The Game. And Hamsterdam (and to a lesser extent, Stringer's ideas about running The Game) is an example of what happens when someone attempts to step outside of that cycle and use counter-intuitive methods to better the lot of the people in The Game (or in Stringer's case, simply insulate himself from the inherent dangers of the current way The Game is played, dangers which eventually get him killed). It is important in the overall structure of the series that this comes in the middle, after an awful lot of business-as-usual before it, and an awful lot of the same after it. Particularly in the way that Hamsterdam itself falls, due largely to many separate parties all assuming the worst about each other- despite the fact that secretly and without each others knowledge, they're all looking for a way to keep Hamsterdam running, if only they could insulate themselves from the negative press. Seasons 1 and 2 do an awful lot of contending that the world doesn't necessarily need to be the way it is, Season 3 shows us how that this is true, and then 4 & 5 confirm the true nature of things, often ramped up to extreme levels with Marlo's ever-growing pile of bodies or Season 5's musical chairs with the Police Commissioner position.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 07:33 by David_Dovey »

Algernon

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • dangerously bipedal
« Reply #73 on: 22 Nov 2010, 21:29 »

First of all I'd just like to high-five you for the Sepinwall mention.  Sepinwall's newbie reviews are what convinced me to watch the entire series, which I finally did over the course of something like two weeks this summer because I had way too much fucking free time.

I don't think I really have time for an in-depth response right now because I should be studying for my BC Calc test tomorrow, but...

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that season three was flat and unsatisfying, but I definitely do agree with you that part of the reason it may seem so was that it was less of a self-contained story (seasons 1 and 2) and more of the sprawling portrait of a profoundly fucked city (and world) that The Wire turned out to be.  The first two seasons focused pretty much entirely on one "faction" plus the police, while season three brought in a whole bunch of new players who didn't always seem quite relevant to the rest of what was going on (i.e. my man Cutty).

That said, I still loved season three.  Stringer Bell ended up as probably my favorite character, and the episode in which he died may be my favorite of the series.  His death scene and the scene between him and Avon on the balcony are both pretty mindblowing.  And I'd say it is indeed the most hopeful of the seasons, with Carcetti, McNulty, and Cutty all ending on pretty high notes.  And Bubbs has a new protege.  And, even though Hamsterdam didn't exactly work out, it at least demonstrated that, if the self-perpetuation machine that is every institution in The Wire can ever get their collective acts together, there are ways to make things better.

One thing that did kind of annoy me (even though I know it was intentional) was how petty and basically incompetent Avon seemed in season 3, especially compared to Stringer.  I know, I know, he's just a gangsta and all that, but after seeing Avon in season one it was pretty painful to watch Avon in the later seasons.

Still, I'd say that it's definitely better than season five.  Season five, while still great, probably suffered from the reduced episode count.  For one thing, the newspaper storyline never really went anywhere, and the Sun people were pretty black and white (Klebanow and Whiting are idiots, Scott is a tool, Gus is the marvelous maverick maven of newspaper).  Simon also took the cyclical theme a bit two far in the portrayals of Sydnor as McNulty 2.0 and Mike as Omar 2: Electric Boogaloo, IMO.  Sydnor seemed like too much of an upstanding dude to be a McNulty, and while Mike as Omar at least makes sense, he didn't really need to be a direct reincarnation with the same mannerisms and everything.  But hey artistic license and all that.

Seriously though I need to study for my test now.

EDIT: Oh and here is an only semi-relevant but potentially interesting new project that Dominic West is working on.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #74 on: 23 Nov 2010, 15:27 »

It's pretty saddening that aside from a few exceptions, the principal actors of the Wire haven't done much good high-profile work elsewhere. Idris Elba's gotten cast in Tyler Perry films but he also just wrapped up the second series of his cop-on-the-edge (think Prime Suspect, Cracker, etc.) show Luther, and the first series was delightful. Aside from playing a villain opposite another floundering HBO actor in an execrable Punisher film, Dominic West hasn't done much. It's nice to hear that he's getting the chance to anchor another series.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #75 on: 23 Nov 2010, 23:30 »

Speaking of which, Cutty showed up in a brief cameo in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia recently! That was the cause of much double-takes among me and my girl, particularly because we had just finished S.3 a few nights earlier.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #76 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:58 »

I just started watching the first episode. Holy shit, even the pre-credits scene was good. And having (a cover of) a Tom Waits song for the theme doesn't hurt.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Algernon

• dangerously bipedal
« Reply #77 on: 24 Nov 2010, 14:42 »

Honestly, for most of the first episode I was really just trying to figure out who was who and what the fuck was going on.  But then it started to click and became fantastic.

It really is a shame about many Wire alums not getting the work they deserve.  Although Wendell Pierce (Bunk) and Clarke Peters (Cool Lester Smooth) have been kept in the David Simon stable for Treme.  Although I honestly didn't like Peters' Big Chief Lambreaux story in Treme that much.

And re: Cutty, he didn't get too much to do in It's Always Sunny, but I did enjoy his muttering "pregnant" at Dee.

Oh, and Aidan Gillen (Carcetti) is playing Littlefinger in the HBO A Game of Thrones adaptation.  Which makes me unspeakably happy.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #78 on: 24 Nov 2010, 15:58 »

Honestly, the rest of the episode was disappointing after that. They really nailed that first scene, but the need to do plot after that limited the rest of it.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #79 on: 24 Nov 2010, 17:17 »

I just started watching the first episode. Holy shit, even the pre-credits scene was good. And having (a cover of) a Tom Waits song for the theme doesn't hurt.
They do a different version every season. The original is one of them... Either two or three, I can't remember. Season four's is sung by the child actors and five is sung by Steve Earle.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 24 Nov 2010, 17:36 »

Season 1 is the Blind Boys of Alabama, season 2 is the original, season 3 is the Neville Brothers, season 4 is a bunch of kids, and season 5 is Steve Earle. The versions for seasons 3 and 4 were recorded especially for the show. All versions except Steve Earle's are on the soundtrack C.D.! Steve Earle's version is on his own album that came out in the same year as season 5 screened. (But his version is the weakest of the lot.)

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #81 on: 25 Nov 2010, 08:44 »

Steve Earle's version is on his own album that came out in the same year as season 5 screened. (But his version is the weakest of the lot.)

:psyduck:
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #82 on: 25 Nov 2010, 10:37 »

Nah it's true. My ranking of the various versions goes in order of which season they were used in, funnily. Except maybe I'd switch around the original and the Blind Boys version. They're pretty close. Ideally you'd take the music of the Blind Boys version and have Tom sing on it.

Honestly, for most of the first episode I was really just trying to figure out who was who and what the fuck was going on.  But then it started to click and became fantastic.

Absolutely, me too. I definitely appreciated Season 1 a lot more the second time, when I wasn't worried about trying to remember who each character was and just focus on plot. The Wire is a show which really rewards re-watching. It actually makes a lot of the shocks and twists of the show resonate deeper when you know what is going to happen in the lead-up, as opposed to feeling like you've been spoiler'd. The second (and third and so on) time around you'll catch the foreshadowing and all the groundwork laid down to make events fall into place, and see it unfolding in excruciating slow motion. As Freamon says "every piece matters".

Algernon

• dangerously bipedal
« Reply #83 on: 25 Nov 2010, 12:37 »

I've actually only rewatched part of the first season, as I only finished the series for the first time a few months ago, but I can see how that would be the case.

For the music, the Blind Boys of Alabama and the original Tom Waits versions are both amazing.  I think I slightly prefer the original.  I liked DoMaJe and Steve Earle's takes as well.  Personally, my least favorite version was the Neville Brothers.  All that banging.  Season three, while one of my favorites, was the only one that I fast forwarded through the credits.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up