Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feist  (Read 10224 times)

Aceandcups

Feist
« on: 27 Jul 2007, 22:22 »

Her newest album "The Reminder" is definitely one of the best soul/folk albums I've heard this year. She does this Nina Simone cover of "Sea Lion Women" and it just makes the ears melt with pleasure. Think Mazzy Star meets Tori Amos. Link

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
Re: Feist
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2007, 01:22 »

Look, i think she's great, love the work she did with broken social scene, but this album just does not move me.

I haven't given up on it though. Shadows Collide, our fellow forumee is a BIG fan, I'm sure an ecstatic post from him is imminent.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2007, 02:14 »

The Reminder is an album full of great tunes which is somewhat marred by its hyper-slick production. Thanks, Gonzales.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2007, 09:16 »

Look, i think she's great, love the work she did with broken social scene, but this album just does not move me.

I suggest you keep watching the 1234 video until something moves.  Otherwise you might be clinically dead, and that would be terrible.

Her performance at Town Hall this summer was one of my favorite concerts this year.  Her voice is like spun amber.  It's one of the most beautiful natural voices I've encountered.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2007, 09:20 »

I wasn't blown away by the CD but it's still quality. Not a disc I'd play over and over again but if I'm in the mood for that kind of thing, it's cool. She has a great voice.

Pelay

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2007, 10:04 »

Defiantly a great CD.  It took me a couple listens before I totally dug it but now I know its great!  Not to mention she puts on a hell of a live show.  And my personal favorite analogy for women with fantastic voices is a voice like velvet sex...Someone told me that once and I thought it was fitting

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2007, 11:31 »

Yeah, I think she is about to or indeed has become none of our business.

Here's the thing.

I've seen her live three times now and each time her tunes sound somehow more robust live, more hypnotically outstanding. They're really good songs, but she needs to gently tell Gonzales to step away from the mixing board and let someody produce a record that will capture the songs without capturing the adult-contempo vibe that the fellow seems to love. I wouldn't be greatly surprised if the version of "Inside And Out" that wound up on Let It Die rather than the slowed-down ballad version was included partially on his recommendation.
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2007, 11:33 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2007, 12:25 »

Here's the thing.

I've seen her live three times now and each time her tunes sound somehow more robust live, more hypnotically outstanding. They're really good songs, but she needs to gently tell Gonzales to step away from the mixing board and let someody produce a record that will capture the songs without capturing the adult-contempo vibe that the fellow seems to love.

So true.  Feist and Steve Albini.  That would be awesome.  It's probably going to happen, but I think Albini's work on Ys shows his strength in the quirky female vocalist with folk-esque stylings genre.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2007, 12:47 »

She sounds awesome live. I love her.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2007, 14:23 »

From what I've heard, her live sets are vastly superior to her albums. I haven't been too impressed with anything I've heard from her in terms of records but I'm going to try to see her with Kevin Drew in their upcoming tour and I'm expecting really good things. I've hear nothing but great praise about her shows.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2007, 15:36 »

i did suspect that she'd be a superior live act. This album was hyped to an impossible standard for me- so i was bound to be dissappointed. I also only got it a couple of weeks ago and i'm sure it'll grow on me.

Aceandcups

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2007, 18:07 »

I do recommend listening to this album more than once. It isn't going to immediately hit you as great. I mean, if you're passing someone on the street listening to The Reminder, you're going to be hit with some bluesy, moody gospel/folk Doppler effect. And that's not a bad thing! The beginning of this album begins very, very slowly and kind of depressing. But by the end, like Pilsner said, tracks One Two Three Four, it all seems to be celebratory and no longer so melancholy.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2007, 20:41 »

The Reminder is good.  I liked Let it Die better.

Shadows Collide

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2007, 03:52 »

With that voice of hers, she could sing anything and make it beautiful. I mainly like the melancholy stuff, but the pop aspects are brilliant as well. Listen to "The Water" closely and tell me it aint something! IMO ishotdanieljohnston should just drop the pre-conceptions or expectations and just enjoy this well-crafted album already.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2007, 04:31 »

Has anyone here chhecked out St. Vincent yet? She does for me what Feist doesn't.

Shadows Collide

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2007, 00:24 »

St. Vincent's song-writing + Feist's vocal talent would = Perfect

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2007, 00:30 »

The Reminder is the first and only thing I've heard from Feist and I find it to be very nice, but I agree that the production is just too vanilla for the songs. I've seen The Reminder on the "featured" rack at a large chain record store and I've seen her film clips playing in a pub... I think tommy is right.

P.S; What is it with you people and Steve Albini? The guy is a total dude for sure but that doesn't mean he's the perfect producer for everybody and their dog.

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

duallain

• Plantmonster
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2007, 00:37 »

I like the new album.  It reminds me of the silversun pickups, and that's a good thing.
Sorry about my taste in music:  LINK

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2007, 02:51 »

Hey, as being a previous player hater on this thread i am pleased to announce FEIST IS REALLY REALLY GROWIN ON ME

Cexy

« Reply #19 on: 06 Aug 2007, 05:13 »

Woo, Feist. I'm sure that this is horribly predictable of me, but Mushaboom is one of my favourite songs ever. Pure audio bliss.

RyanT

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #20 on: 06 Aug 2007, 08:09 »

I definitely agree with Tommy in that analog recording is better quality and has a feel that you just can't match with digital recording setups, no matter how much money you toss into your protools rig.  The thing you have to realize, though, is that more likely than not, unless you're listening to everything on vinyl, that recording is going to go on a cd, which means that somewhere along the road it has to be transferred to a digital medium.  Yes, I know that cd's are compromised audio quality compared to vinyl (or other analog formats), but there are a lot of tradeoffs, such as convenience, that has shifted the market towards the digital side.  I mean, you can't really go for a run with your portable record player strapped to your arm... 

I guess what I'm trying to say overall is that if you're an artist and you plan on releasing a cd, go to a good studio with lots of analog gear (such as mics and outboard effects), but them recording to tape shouldn't be a requirement.  If you plan on releasing a small pressing of vinyl records in addition to cd's for your small fanbase of indie kids and audiophiles, then definitely, tape is the way to go.  Recording is a lot more than just the machine you're recording to.  I think even more important is having analog equipment, good instruments, and most importantly, the ability to play (or sing) those instruments.  Because who wants to listen to Tim Kinsella in hi-fi?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #21 on: 06 Aug 2007, 08:30 »

Because who wants to listen to Tim Kinsella in hi-fi?

*raises hand*
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 09 Aug 2007, 12:55 »

Speaking of Feist, she's doing a show with Kevin Drew at MacCarren Park Pool on August 29th and a dramatic reading (I shit you not) for the 826NYC charity event at the Beacon Theater on the 26th.  The 826NYC event will also involve Grizzly Bear and Britt Daniel of Spoon making music.  Both concerts/events promise to be epic and I recommend them in the strongest way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up