THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 03:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Faye and Sven  (Read 164008 times)

Michael Nehora

Re: Faye and Sven
« Reply #100 on: 07 Feb 2008, 22:41 »

Heh, well at least you have a sense of humour about it.  On that note, you may be interested in a Kurt Vonnegut short story, "Harrison Bergeron,"  which takes place in a future society where everyone is required to have one sort of "handicap" or another so that everyone is equal.  It's in the Vonnegut collection Welcome to the Monkey House and is a fun read.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #101 on: 07 Feb 2008, 22:47 »

Touche. (how do you get the little accent mark over the e?)

If you are using a PC, hold down ALT, type "130" on the number pad, and release ALT.

é

Different numbers will allow you to use different foreign language symbols.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #102 on: 07 Feb 2008, 23:23 »

Thanks, zerodrone;  back when I was using Quark on Mac, it was Ctrl-option-e or something.

Heh, well at least you have a sense of humour about it.  On that note, you may be interested in a Kurt Vonnegut short story, "Harrison Bergeron,"  which takes place in a future society where everyone is required to have one sort of "handicap" or another so that everyone is equal.  It's in the Vonnegut collection Welcome to the Monkey House and is a fun read.

Yess.....  I remember reading that Vonnegut book about 30? years ago; that probably influenced my thinking.
My handicap seems to be Asperger's syndrome, so I have trouble understanding and relating to people, so that makes the attractiveness thing poignant, but moot.
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Ferahgo the Assassin

• Plantmonster
    • http://ferahgo-the-assassin.deviantart.com/
« Reply #103 on: 08 Feb 2008, 00:21 »

But actually my motive is deep-seated resentment at pretty boys taking women that I wanted.
So, you've never wanted a woman because she was hot/pretty/cute?

It works both ways. A lot of the time I've noticed that a good-looking woman can enjoy being with a below-average looking man as long as he's also intelligent, funny, interesting, or otherwise pleasant, but the opposite is rarely true. Most guys simply do not want to be with an ugly girl regardless of what else she's got (well, maybe if she's willing to put out...).

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #104 on: 08 Feb 2008, 00:21 »

I guess Sven is one of the people Tomart wants to hunt down and inflict diseases upon. Funny, though, just looking at the cast, the best male candidate for that sort of person would seems to be Marten. Sven (Raven notwithstanding) doesn't really seem that attractive (to me, anyway). I'm guessing he has ker-aasss-maa.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #105 on: 08 Feb 2008, 01:26 »

How can any of you tell that any of these people are "attractive"?  They're cartoon characters that aren't drawn realistically at all!  I mean, some of them are "cute" (Hanners, Raven) but they're "cute" like a kitten or a chibi anime character.

Seriously you people scare me sometimes.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #106 on: 08 Feb 2008, 03:16 »

That's okay. We, I, scare me, too. Remember, I'm the psycho that's doing a character count. I even refer to myself with non-personal demonstrative pronouns. Veryscary. Run.

I guess what I meant to say was that Sven is, to, me, presented more as 'charisma guy' than Adonis. Marten seems to be the 'good-looking but has no idea' guy, which I'm partially basing on the fact that he's the child of QC's answer to Bettie Page. So what I'm really talking about is how they are written.

Actually, to me the only guy Jeph seems to really draw as attractive is Benji. Dunno what, if anything, to make of that. Also dunno how good I am at measuring guy's attractiveness. Maybe I need to buy a Pitt-o-Meter.

I can see it now: "So, Ryan, how many Pitts does Raphael score?"

"Oh, about 8.3 Pitts.  The estimator readout says he could go a full 9 Pitts if he'd shave the goatee."

Maybe someone can get cracking inventing the Pitt-o-Meter?

GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #107 on: 08 Feb 2008, 05:55 »

How can any of you tell that any of these people are "attractive"?  They're cartoon characters that aren't drawn realistically at all!  I mean, some of them are "cute" (Hanners, Raven) but they're "cute" like a kitten or a chibi anime character.

Seriously you people scare me sometimes.

Hit the nail on the head there.  :lol:
I'll undermine my comment by saying that I love how Faye has been drwn recently. Don't know what's different.

"Harrison Bergeron" is an excellent story. One man was too intellegent, and so had to wear a radio in his ear that frequently emitted loud noises to derail his train of thought. An unsusally beautiful woman wore an ugly mask.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2008, 05:58 by Doug S. Machina »
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #108 on: 09 Feb 2008, 00:48 »

Over on Weekly comic talk, LoramirOfGondor came up with an truly interesting idea: comparing Sven and Faye to Benedick and Beatrice in Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing. The circumstances are different, but still...

Now I'm wondering: if Marten were to dump Dora for reasons based on a lie rumor, would Faye ask Sven to kick Marten's ass? Would he? Could he get serious as Branaugh's Benedick does?

Have I just blown Jeph's plan?

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #109 on: 09 Feb 2008, 02:21 »

Sounds great. Though I must brush up on my Shakespeare. When you mentioned him some way up the thread, I imagined that Dora would give up managing the Coffee of Doom and split owenership between Faye, Penelope and Raven based on who can flatter her best. Penelope refuses to play and is cast out. Marten protests this and is also banished. Faye and Raven pull Sven and Benji into their schemes for power, and eventually both shun Dora. She ends up in a park ranting at a storm with Mievelle or Pintsize as her Fool. Penelope returns in force. Everything ends in tragedy.

(This post has very little to do with Faye and Sven's relationship.)
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #110 on: 09 Feb 2008, 09:28 »

And of course, at one point Dora jumps out at someone, yelling, "Every inch a Barrista!"

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #111 on: 09 Feb 2008, 15:27 »

And of course, at one point Dora jumps out at someone, yelling, "Every inch a Barrista!"

Grace go with you, sir! I can already see that, and it is good.

"Someone" would be Gloucester, who I couldn't cast, along with his son Edgar, Edmund and the King of France. Can't think who would play them, and they're pretty crucial. Details, dteails. Let's petition Jeph for a non-continuity arc!

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #112 on: 09 Feb 2008, 20:52 »

Jeez, you're all gettin all Shakespearean on us... But if you say Much Ado is so good, maybe I should read it.
I liked Midsummer Night's Dream, with the exquisite Helen Mirren...

Quote from: Ferahgo the Assassin
So, you've never wanted a woman because she was hot/pretty/cute?
Oh, of course, until I found they don't want me.  Ergo, hostility.  Especially at blondes (except of course, Hannelore.)

I guess Sven is one of the people Tomart wants to hunt down and inflict diseases upon.
No, it would be self-inflicted; that's the beauty of it.  :angel:

Quote from: zerodrone
How can any of you tell that any of these people are "attractive"?
I was using "attractive" in the general sense, like how Sven is always attracting readers' praise and making them gush.  (Um, so to speak.)
I guess it's Charisma more than Adonis, but whatever it is, readers are  seriously  mating Sven/Faye in their dirty little minds, in large numbers, or even sweet, naive little Hanners...  [distraught]   

Edit:  I meant Sven/Hanners [distraught]                  ...Faye/Hanners would indeed be awesome. (See below.)
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2008, 13:00 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Rocketman

• A little bitter.
« Reply #113 on: 09 Feb 2008, 21:54 »

or even sweet, naive little Hanners...  [distraught]   

Faye/Hanners is an absolute good.  :-D

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #114 on: 10 Feb 2008, 14:06 »

Jeez, you're all gettin all Shakespearean on us...

Yes, and completely derailing this thread as we do. Maybe Shakespeare in QC should have another thread. "All hail Faye, you shall be Queen hereafter!"

OMG FAYE+HANNERS*

*That's just so I can fit in better,  :wink:.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 14:07 by Doug S. Machina »

hamstermoney

« Reply #115 on: 10 Feb 2008, 18:37 »

or maybe his purpose is to beat up Sven after seeing the two together. What if Angus and Raven got together?

Yeah, like Sven and Faye get together and Angus and Raven flip out and hook up with each other!

Wow, I think I've been reading too much manga.

But yeah, I have to say that I kinda support Faye and Sven because of the way they tend to act nowadays, but I also think it's unlikely because of Faye's not-hooking-up-er-ness.

But hey, for all we know Jeph is just planning something batshit like Penelope and Sven or a three-way between Faye, Hannelore, and Tai.

Actually, Penelope and Sven pairing up seems like it could be slightly plausible in the future. xD

Frate

« Reply #116 on: 10 Feb 2008, 22:08 »

Faye seems pretty comfortable around Sven, sitting near him relaxed and not really on her guard.

Marten and Sven do have one thing in common now though, it seems Faye sees neither of them as an immediate threat.

Joybee

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #117 on: 10 Feb 2008, 23:37 »

Ok, heres how it all goes down.
Eventually Marten and Dora want to move in together, right? So one of them moves into the others place, and either way Faye gets the shun, and desperately needing somewhere to go,she seeks refuge with Sven after he offers to take her in until she finds an apartment. After that, hilarity and sexual tension ensue!

THERE ARE NO FLAWS TO MY PLAN! SHHHH!

p.s. Raven has her hobo boyfriend anyway, doesn't she?

aorta

« Reply #118 on: 11 Feb 2008, 00:42 »

Longtime lurker first time poster..just because of this topic  :-)

I don't really see whats wrong with the hook-up of Sven and Faye, both of them have had issues in the past that they're both trying to overcome. Though its only a matter if they actually follow through with it like Sven.

But its so nice how Sven has broken down Faye's tough exterior that she's actually comfortable sitting next to him, just like the beginning of Marten and Faye's relationship. How Marten was so uncomfortable around girls until he met Faye.

And with Raven I mean she has a boyfriend now right? Would she still hold a grudge against Faye?....

easilyamused

« Reply #119 on: 11 Feb 2008, 10:10 »

*sigh* I may be the one QC reader still hanging doggedly on to the idea of Faye + Marten ...

But, since that doesn't look likely any time in the immediate future, I like the idea of Faye + Sven.  I agree with all the in-favor points that have been made thus far -- Faye is comfortable with him, she could help Sven recover from being a heartless womanizer, it would help her reacquaint herself with the nuances of a healthy relationship, etc.  And another thing -- I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I find Marten and Dora a REALLY BORING COUPLE.  The way I see it, they're always just either being insecure about each other or being vapidly cute.  I like the Beatrice/Benedick dynamic between Faye and Sven a lot more.  but I still like Faye and Marten best ... *further sighing*

And as a first-post introductory postscript, a friend of mine introduced me to this two weeks ago.  I tore through the archives and got two other friends addicted to it.  Jeph I worship you.  But not as much as I worship Pintsize.

soapbox-paiga

« Reply #120 on: 11 Feb 2008, 10:33 »

Long time lurker, first time caller. :)

I would just like to point out the fact that regardless of personal opinions on the pairing, regardless of whether or not it would work, regardless of how complimentary they are, how many problems they'd have... Faye and Sven are interesting. I think this has already been brought up, but, honestly, speaking as a writer and viewing QC as a narrative having Sven and Faye hook up or simply have to deal with sexual tension is just a friggin' interesting plot point to have. Even having them in the same room automatically creates action and conflict-- which I just don't view as a bad thing. Yes, Sven's womanizing and shallow tendencies directly contradict Faye's distancing mechanisms and deep-seating psychological issues-- good! Someone has to! Faye needs to for her own sake get herself into a situation where she's forced to question her behavior-- and so, for that matter, does Sven. Regardless of if they can "fix" each other (who says they have to be fixed?), they would at least be forced to examine themselves... Whether or not they could change would suddenly be not just for their own sakes but for the sake of each other as well, and I for one want to see that kind of pressure put on, just because as a reader it's interesting to me. I am a cruel mistress.  :evil:

That, and the fact that I'm not the only person to de-lurk themselves in the past week says a whole lot about how fascinating this plot thread is. I'm just sayin' :angel:  (I'm also raping the hell out of these smiley face icons).

'Much Ado' has always been my favorite Shakespearian comedy.

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #121 on: 11 Feb 2008, 11:52 »

regardless of personal opinions on the pairing, regardless of whether or not it would work, regardless of how complimentary they are, how many problems they'd have... Faye and Sven are interesting. ... I am a cruel mistress.  :evil:

Yeah, I guess I'd have to admit they're more interesting than Marten/Dora.  In the sense of the ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times..." 

In RL (RealLife.jk), the Marten/Dora relationship is close to ideal, it's what we yearn for; while Sven/Faye is made of landmines and boobytraps (pun Unintended.)  So tension, conflict, trauma, heartbreak, serious injury and hard punches are more interesting to cruel mistresses, and most everyone else.  But not when they happen to you.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2008, 13:44 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

hamstermoney

« Reply #122 on: 11 Feb 2008, 16:05 »

i come back to see you all still hate the faye/sven idea
am i the only one who loves it?

No, you're not the only one who loves it, unfortunately.
Most of the others don't hate it, they just see how BAD an idea it is.
Whereas I HATE it. HATE it!

Remember Faye's abandonment issue?  Then why do you want her to hook up with the comic's serial abandoner?  Sven has coasted with women on his pretty boy looks, and consistently left (through windows if necessary) whenever they got unpleasant, knowing another blonde would throw herself at him the next day.  You think Faye should trust Sven, when she couldn't bring herself to trust Marten??

Marten waited for her, was there for her, friend, companion, gave her shelter, shared whatever he had, waited for her to work out her problems, and then was left hanging.  After all that, you think Faye should just give herself to this cad?  Besides being a vicious kick in the groin to Marten, and not even counting Dora's objections, you actually LIKE this idea?

Perhaps you think Hanners, with her dirt phobia, should hook up with Peanuts' Pigpen?  Or Faye, trying not to be an alcoholic, should hook up with Jimbo (I don't think we've ever seen him outside of the bar...)

Ooh, good one! Faye gets drunk and hooks up with Jimbo! She realizes the next day that they drove to Tiajuana in his trailer!

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #123 on: 11 Feb 2008, 16:36 »

regardless of personal opinions on the pairing, regardless of whether or not it would work, regardless of how complimentary they are, how many problems they'd have... Faye and Sven are interesting. ... I am a cruel mistress.  :evil:

Yeah, I guess I'd have to admit they're more interesting than Marten/Dora.  In the sense of the ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times..." 

In RL (RealLife.jk), the Marten/Dora relationship is close to ideal, it's what we yearn for; while Sven/Faye is made of landmines and boobytraps (pun Unintended.)  So tension, conflict, trauma, heartbreak, serious injury and hard punches are more interesting to cruel mistresses, and most everyone else.  But not when they happen to you.

Another saying is "Happiness writes white."  "And they all lived happily ever after" is what you put at the end of a story. Marten and Dora (as a couple) make less interesting stories because they're happy together. They had two strips of "There's other women in your heart?" conflict before they realised there was nothing to it. Faye has a world of hurt to resolve; Sven might help, or might make it worse. There's the drama. Besides that they shark off each other in an interesting fashion. Hannelore has mountains to climb too. That's why today's strip [1075, for posterity] works so well. (Well, that, and the "OMG, she's cuter than ever!!!" angle.)

Apparently, if you want to find your main characters, you look for the one with the biggest problems. The guy with the crappy job, chaotic robot buddy, non-starting love life and strange girl moving into his home was that one. Now, not so much. Time to look at someone else. As readers, we want them to unhappy. That way, they will keep struggling and so entertain us. Fortunately, we're not going to meet them, or they'd be pissed at us.

Rocketman

• A little bitter.
« Reply #124 on: 11 Feb 2008, 17:08 »

Hannelore has mountains to climb too.

Yeah, Faye's mountains! *rimshot*

soapbox-paiga

« Reply #125 on: 11 Feb 2008, 17:21 »

Another saying is "Happiness writes white."  "And they all lived happily ever after" is what you put at the end of a story. Marten and Dora (as a couple) make less interesting stories because they're happy together. They had two strips of "There's other women in your heart?" conflict before they realised there was nothing to it. Faye has a world of hurt to resolve; Sven might help, or might make it worse. There's the drama. Besides that they shark off each other in an interesting fashion. Hannelore has mountains to climb too. That's why today's strip [1075, for posterity] works so well. (Well, that, and the "OMG, she's cuter than ever!!!" angle.)

Apparently, if you want to find your main characters, you look for the one with the biggest problems. The guy with the crappy job, chaotic robot buddy, non-starting love life and strange girl moving into his home was that one. Now, not so much. Time to look at someone else. As readers, we want them to unhappy. That way, they will keep struggling and so entertain us. Fortunately, we're not going to meet them, or they'd be pissed at us.

I don't want them unhappy, per say... I just want a narrative. QC is in its heart of hearts a story-- and what's good for a story isn't always so great for reality (see: Stranger than Fiction). All you can hope for is that you hit a happy ending. Some day. Eventually.

I honestly do like Faye/Sven, though, on a personal level. I don't really predict their lives being utterly destroyed by becoming attracted to each other-- granted, I predict their lives becoming a whole lot more complex, but that's really not necessarily bad. Life's really about learning things-- even if Sven and Faye bumped headboards and realized an hour later what a completely awful idea it was, at least they did *something* with their situation. Right now I'm a lot more concerned with them being static than I am with them being pissed at me. I don't enjoy seeing them unhappy-- but, dudes, Faye doesn't seem like the most frickin' ecstatic person in the world anyway. From a pragmatic standpoint, I don't think sleeping with *anyone* is gonna solve her problems right now (or ever) but at least she'd be doing something about it. The exercise and therapy sessions are a good start-- time to put these lessons into practice, if'n ya please.

No, I don't like it when bad things happen to me, but at least I can say that I've learned from most of them. Even if it was, y'know, to throw small children out windows for fun and profit. (*cue: The More You Know!*)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #126 on: 11 Feb 2008, 22:02 »

Folks, I'm tellin' ya, there be an iceberg bearin' down on the good ship Mardoranic. Just ye heave to and keep ye weather eye clapped on 'er.

Did any real sailors ever actually speak that way?

In the first Amber series, Corwin comments that , in effect, if his life is a novel, he'd like to strangle the writer. God knows none of the readers (unless they are completely insane—at one point Corwin is blinded) want to be Corwin, but it's very entertaining reading about him.

The same applies to couples. We can, apparently, either have happy couples of interesting people: not both. Soap Operas, of course, learned this long ago. QC's not a soap, (or a soup, despite my fervent wish to type it so), but the principle is the same. Marten and Dora aren't nearly old enough to become Tom and Alice.

Maybe Jeph can overcome this rule, but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2008, 22:04 by raoullefere »

soapbox-paiga

« Reply #127 on: 11 Feb 2008, 22:28 »

Folks, I'm tellin' ya, there be an iceberg bearin' down on the good ship Mardoranic. Just ye heave to and keep ye weather eye clapped on 'er.

Did any real sailors ever actually speak that way?

In the first Amber series, Corwin comments that , in effect, if his life is a novel, he'd like to strangle the writer. God knows none of the readers (unless they are completely insane—at one point Corwin is blinded) want to be Corwin, but it's very entertaining reading about him.

The same applies to couples. We can, apparently, either have happy couples of interesting people: not both. Soap Operas, of course, learned this long ago. QC's not a soap, (or a soup, despite my fervent wish to type it so), but the principle is the same. Marten and Dora aren't nearly old enough to become Tom and Alice.

Maybe Jeph can overcome this rule, but I doubt it.

What's a weather eye? Is it contagious? Can you buy it at Bed, Bath and Beyond?

There's ways to both have a couple and have them not be completely useless... The problem is, there has to be problems. It's not a question of interestingness exactly so much as it is just realism-- no couple can be 100% happy 100% of the time, and if they are, they're creepy. Martin and Dora have a lot of weirdness they seem to have overcome way to quickly (in my opinion); Martin's done a 180 on what girl he's got the hots for, and Dora has broken the golden rule of BFF-ship (at least in the girl-verse; I dunno about all you man-whores out there). These are serious issues and if they're really ready to move past them as quickly as they are then, dude... That kind of makes me concerned for them.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #128 on: 11 Feb 2008, 23:54 »

OK seriously I like QC and all but you did not just compare Jeph to fucking Zelazny.

Seriously read this and then get back to me on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Today_We_Choose_Faces

(NB: This is a drunk post.)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #129 on: 12 Feb 2008, 09:37 »

Actually, I used Zelazny's work as an archetype. Make of that what you will.

However, if I did compare them,  I doubt Zelazny would notice. He's likely too busy being dead and/or creating enough energy to power a small city with his gyrations over Dawn of Amber. Save your energy for hunting Betancourt down and giving him an atomic wedgie.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 09:39 by raoullefere »

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #130 on: 12 Feb 2008, 12:27 »

There's ways to both have a couple and have them not be completely useless... The problem is, there has to be problems. It's not a question of interestingness exactly so much as it is just realism-- no couple can be 100% happy 100% of the time, and if they are, they're creepy. Martin and Dora have a lot of weirdness they seem to have overcome way to quickly (in my opinion); Martin's done a 180 on what girl he's got the hots for, and Dora has broken the golden rule of BFF-ship (at least in the girl-verse; I dunno about all you man-whores out there). These are serious issues and if they're really ready to move past them as quickly as they are then, dude... That kind of makes me concerned for them.

Not so certain that marten's done a 180, he always had an eye for Dora early on, and now its more than an eye...  The issue between her and Faye is probably more serious and I'm not so certain she's moved beyond it.  Witness her neurotic behaviour...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #131 on: 12 Feb 2008, 16:28 »

Hannelore has mountains to climb too.

Yeah, Faye's mountains! *rimshot*

Very good...
Mind you, I can see that as an unlikely punchline to the current arc:
(Faye and Hannelore are in Sven's bed. Sven walks in.)
Sven: What the fuck? Didn't you say she was off-limits?
Faye: Well, to you...

QC's not a soap, (or a soup, despite my fervent wish to type it so)

It is a soup, a thick and nutritous gumbo of sarcasm, relationships, robots, comedy, "issues", unrequited love, sex, drunkeness and absurdity.   :laugh:

I don't want them unhappy, per say... I just want a narrative. QC is in its heart of hearts a story-- and what's good for a story isn't always so great for reality (see: Stranger than Fiction). All you can hope for is that you hit a happy ending. Some day. Eventually.

Per se (Sorry to be pedantic.) Yes, that was my point. A happy ending is obviously an end. We need drama and interest to keep a story going. I wasn't meaning to say that fictional characters are invented to be poked with sticks. "Dance for me, paper monkey, dance! Hahahaha!"

I honestly do like Faye/Sven, though ... Right now I'm a lot more concerned with them being static than I am with them being pissed at me.

If you were writing something and entertained the thought "Will my characters (who only exist in my head) still like me after I make them do this?" you would surely be getting on a fast track to madness. They won't ever come and get you. They don't exist. It was late and I was tired.

(Interesting idea though. Faye would want probably want to give Jeph a beating. Davan and friends from Something Positive would probably do something very slow and painful to their creator. John MacClane (Bruce Willis in Die Hard*) has a good case to sue Fox for millions, for repeatedly putting him the action movie wringer and breaking up his marriage  for their profit and our entertainment. Let's not even get into tragedy, say Titus Andronicus.)

No, I don't like it when bad things happen to me, but at least I can say that I've learned from most of them. Even if it was, y'know, to throw small children out windows for fun and profit. (*cue: The More You Know!*)
You must explain. Or write a book "Throwing Children Out of Windows for Fun and Profit!"

*I could have picked more high-culture examples. But would it mattered?

« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 16:38 by Doug S. Machina »

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #132 on: 12 Feb 2008, 16:51 »

Dora has broken the golden rule of BFF-ship (at least in the girl-verse; I dunno about all you man-whores out there). These are serious issues and if they're really ready to move past them as quickly as they are then, dude... That kind of makes me concerned for them.

Ok, so the golden rule of female BFFs is - don't date each other's BFs..?  Even if the one gave him up, let him loose?  And (no small point) she never had him in the first place?  Would it have been better if some other floozy snapped him up?  I'm just a curious man-whore askin'...

As for how quickly they move past issues - - maybe  the comic  moves past lots of issues, so we're not getting a full relationship-intensive course in that couple's issues...
Irresponsible Adult GOM

easilyamused

« Reply #133 on: 12 Feb 2008, 19:09 »

Well, some other girl getting Marten would have had a different effect on Faye, but I also doubt that anyone but Dora could have gotten him that quickly.  Remember Faye running into Dora's room and saying "two days??"  That's a big part of the rule Dora broke.  It's not exactly "don't date each other's ex-boyfriends" -- in this situation it's "don't date someone your bff was emotionally involved with until a reasonable amount of time has passed."  Whether or not Faye and Marten were officially going out, there was a lot of chemistry and feeling between them, and Dora knew that.  Otherwise, she wouldn't be so apologetic and guilty (and rightly so!) when Faye confronts her that night.

And about the Hanners-Faye thing ... I think a much more amusing relationship would be ... hehe.  Remember when Penelope and Faye leave the gym together in a loud argument about Penelope's rear end, and the gym employee's assumption?  Hehe.

soapbox-paiga

« Reply #134 on: 12 Feb 2008, 20:02 »

Well, some other girl getting Marten would have had a different effect on Faye, but I also doubt that anyone but Dora could have gotten him that quickly.  Remember Faye running into Dora's room and saying "two days??"  That's a big part of the rule Dora broke.  It's not exactly "don't date each other's ex-boyfriends" -- in this situation it's "don't date someone your bff was emotionally involved with until a reasonable amount of time has passed."  Whether or not Faye and Marten were officially going out, there was a lot of chemistry and feeling between them, and Dora knew that.  Otherwise, she wouldn't be so apologetic and guilty (and rightly so!) when Faye confronts her that night.

And about the Hanners-Faye thing ... I think a much more amusing relationship would be ... hehe.  Remember when Penelope and Faye leave the gym together in a loud argument about Penelope's rear end, and the gym employee's assumption?  Hehe.

Exactomundo. While there is something intrinsically funky about dating your best friend's ex (not bad, per se-- ah ha, I have learned the ways of the Latin!), it's more of an issue with how fast the relationship blossomed into existence and the fact that Dora never even (as my memory serves) brought up to Faye that she was considering making a move, which creates weird double-dealingness (again, this might be totally wrong-- I haven't read through the archives in a while so it's possible Dora gave her a head's up at some point and it just flew over my head).

If you were writing something and entertained the thought "Will my characters (who only exist in my head) still like me after I make them do this?" you would surely be getting on a fast track to madness. They won't ever come and get you. They don't exist. It was late and I was tired.

(Interesting idea though. Faye would want probably want to give Jeph a beating. Davan and friends from Something Positive would probably do something very slow and painful to their creator. John MacClane (Bruce Willis in Die Hard*) has a good case to sue Fox for millions, for repeatedly putting him the action movie wringer and breaking up his marriage  for their profit and our entertainment. Let's not even get into tragedy, say Titus Andronicus.)

You must explain. Or write a book "Throwing Children Out of Windows for Fun and Profit!"

*I could have picked more high-culture examples. But would it mattered?

Firstly, a pox on high-culture examples! Suffice to say, I think pretty much any literary work ever created could be filed under this category (in varying degrees of seriousness).

Secondly, have you ever seen Stranger Than Fiction? Because seriously, the set up is entirely about this theory.

Thirdly, summer camp theater instructor. Enough said.

Rocketman

• A little bitter.
« Reply #135 on: 13 Feb 2008, 02:13 »

As for how quickly they move past issues - - maybe  the comic  moves past lots of issues, so we're not getting a full relationship-intensive course in that couple's issues...

I'd say it's more how slow the comic moves. Remember how long that week was that Marten got off work? 192 strips, nearly a full year.. If Marten and Dora had a real, mega-issue troubles lasting for QC days, that's months and months of 'broken status quo' and then they get together again and its been a year since we last saw them like that.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #136 on: 13 Feb 2008, 05:26 »

(not bad, per se-- ah ha, I have learned the ways of the Latin!)

Good work, discipulus.*

I endorse this message. But, to crush your dreams it's not going to happen, is it? But I go for more Penelope. She's still something of mystery.

Firstly, a pox on high-culture examples! Suffice to say, I think pretty much any literary work ever created could be filed under this category (in varying degrees of seriousness).

Secondly, have you ever seen Stranger Than Fiction? Because seriously, the set up is entirely about this theory.

Fie on high-culture examples! (Was it this thread we were derailing with Shakespeare a while ago?) Imagine if Wile E. Coyote met Chuck Jones. He'd probably savage him, just out of spite.

You're right. No story would worth the effort without some upleasant things happening.

I haven't seen Stranger Than Fiction yet, but it sonds really interesting.

Thirdly, summer camp theater instructor. Enough said.
Yep, that explains it.   :laugh:

• Plantmonster
  • WOOOO!
« Reply #137 on: 13 Feb 2008, 22:20 »

i'm not saying that all is perfect in their little world, but i don't know...i think life sucks for the most part so i like to see happily ever afters in my comics, movies, books (on a total side note, i hate the way the whole mary jane/spiderman and cyclops/jean things went)

that being said, i don't want it to happen now and i don't expect it to happen without it's fair share of drama

i think sven and faye have a lot of chemistry and i think it would be fun to see that chemistry play out

and with that, after today's comic...

*does a happy dance*

hanners might not be interested, but faye.... ;)

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #138 on: 14 Feb 2008, 01:01 »

Another saying is "Happiness writes white." 
..Harvey Danger? If so... AWESOME.

And also... Having Faye blush so much could be more evidence for any camp of people supporting Faye and Sven.  :roll:

kurzon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #139 on: 14 Feb 2008, 02:23 »

The Sven/Faye thing has been building for an awfully long time, with a definite undercurrent of chemistry.  It's a bit hard to be sure, but I think Faye is a bit more aware of it than Sven.  The way she reacts when he turns up unexpectedly (Gah!) isn't because she thinks he's a repulsive smarmosaur.  Well, maybe it is, but probably because he's a partially-reformed smarmosaur who she finds attractive.

Sven seems genuinely worried that she'll hit him, and is apparently quite genuine when he says she's not his type.  He jokes with her but I think he has no 'intentions'.  Joking aside, he's never shown the least sign of being interested in taking advantage of her and has had a number of opportunities.

It would be very interesting to see if Sven gets hit by a realisation that there's more out there than 'types'.

Janny

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #140 on: 14 Feb 2008, 03:51 »

So many predictions.... I'm not much for the whole Sven-Faye getting together.. Still, the story line almost always goes in a totally different way as we predict, but that's what's great. I just love the way Jeph ignores what others say and just writes the story like he wants.

Lady Lavish

« Reply #141 on: 14 Feb 2008, 09:59 »

Seems to me that Faye is at least 'attracted' to Sven. *note today comic*
Personaly, i think they'd be a great couple and that they'd provide alot of drama for us to watch as it unfolds.

cgarci21

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Shagtastic
« Reply #142 on: 14 Feb 2008, 22:57 »

Faye and Sven made teh kisses. <3
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

AshAshes

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #143 on: 14 Feb 2008, 23:11 »

I knew it.

YESSSSS> :)

PECOAE

• Furry furrier
  • master of his domain ...for now
« Reply #144 on: 14 Feb 2008, 23:16 »

OK, the creator of this thread (MC) just got fuckin' VINDICATEDZ.

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #145 on: 14 Feb 2008, 23:16 »

And now there is a hell of a lot more evidence for a Faye/Sven relationship. :P

Beoworg

« Reply #146 on: 14 Feb 2008, 23:27 »

Hey! I actually like Angus. Don't like his name, but I like the guy.

Yeah, Angus sounds like a redneck who eats gross sandwhiches. No offense to any rednecks online.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 23:50 by Beoworg »

The Viz

« Reply #147 on: 14 Feb 2008, 23:32 »

A little surprising...but not overly so.  Would have at least expected Sven to make the first move and Faye to feel conflicted and whatnot before she came to terms with it.

I'm interested in what Marty's reaction to all this will be...

Beoworg

« Reply #148 on: 14 Feb 2008, 23:42 »

EDIT: Yes I know these characters aren't real people (jokes aside) it's easier to discuss things this way.

Not real?! As the gay mayor of imaginationland once said, "whatever you believe is rweal is rweal."

skaps

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #149 on: 14 Feb 2008, 23:49 »

HOLY SCHNIP SCHNAPS!

I believe our debate has been partially addressed  8-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up