THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 18:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instrument query  (Read 2385 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Instrument query
« on: 02 Oct 2007, 11:30 »

So I've recently decided that I really want to learn the mandolin but I'm not sure how to go about. First of all, do any of you know anything about mandolins? If so, do you know what kind I should get or if they're easier/harder/the same as learning a guitar in terms of difficulty. Also, the only other instruments I sort of know how to play is piano. Do you think I should try and get mandolin lessons or would it be better if I tried to teach myself with chord books and the like? How did all of you instrumental types learn to play? I'm just looking for some general advice because I would love to learn this instrument but I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I spend the money.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Instrument query
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2007, 11:43 »

I have a mandolin. It's fairly easy to pick up the chords as there are a couple of basic chord shapes that can be adjusted to go anywhere. The biggest hurdles to overcome are that the strings require very sensitive tuning, the instrument itself requires regular upkeep (change the strings when you feel they need to be, and honestly do it one at a time - resetting the bridge is a pain in the ass) and most importantly is that the neck is really tiny so you have to simultaneously treat the instrument with the delicacy it requires while getting a properly loud sound out of it.

I didn't take lessons but if you have the opportunity I can guarantee they wouldn't hurt.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2007, 11:57 »

Do NOT get a cheap mandolin (i.e. one of those $30-60 pieces of crap you see brand new online.) You'll end up hating it. Those mandolins are so horrible and unwieldy that they make learning next to impossible. Which is a shame really, it's a fairly easy instrument to learn - it was only slightly harder for me than learning guitar. For you, as with any first instrument, it's going to be hard work first starting out. It's something you could teach yourself, if you've got enough self-motivation. Lessons definitely trump chord books, just like any other instrument. If there is a place around that teaches lessons, strongly consider it - mandolin teachers are few and far between. I'd love to have a mandolin instructor that could teach me some bluegrass tricks.

As Johnny C says, turning is a huge key to success. Also, get yourself a chromatic tuner so you can tune it to alternate tunings, rather than one of those Korg guitar tuners that only have 6 notes on them.

Also, if you can, I recommend coated strings, preferably the D'Addario EXP Mediums or Heavies. They sound really nice, and are a breeze to play. It's also better to learn on heavier strings to build up finger strength, then move to lighter strings later for speed.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2007, 19:12 »

The biggest barrier to learning the mandolin is finding an appropriate doublet and hose to wear while doing so. A codpiece might help, too.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #4 on: 03 Oct 2007, 00:12 »

I got my mandolin skillz from the violin (they're tuned the same). I agree with buying a decent one to start with. Don't look much under 150-200 american. The chords aren't terribly hard to learn. Picking is a bit weird coming from a guitar, but it's not that bad. A teacher is probably a good idea.

One important thing: listen to some dave grismond and sam bush so that you want to get really good.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #5 on: 03 Oct 2007, 04:06 »

One thing I definitely recommend is playing it -fucking constantly-. That's the only reason I'm anywhere near decent on the guitar.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

oblivion

« Reply #6 on: 03 Oct 2007, 09:43 »

Do NOT get a cheap mandolin (i.e. one of those $30-60 pieces of crap you see brand new online.) You'll end up hating it.

Word.  I bought one of those $35 Rogues from Musician's Friend.  It is t3h suk.  I never play it since it makes my ears bleed (my fingers are OK from years of abusing guitars).

To further echo what others have said, if a good teacher is available, take lessons. It's motivation as well as instruction.  Good luck and have fun.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #7 on: 03 Oct 2007, 12:03 »

honestly I only paid about $70 for mine and I don't have any real big complaints.  It doesn't stay in tune with the best of them, but never anything drastic that you can't fix by ear.  I think it was a Johnson brand that I got on ebay.  I just had to re-adjust the bridge so the strings rested a little closer to the neck.  Pretty worth it, I thought.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #8 on: 03 Oct 2007, 13:45 »

Johnson makes some good lower-budget stuff, in terms of playability. It's surprising. My first guitar was a Johnson Strat copy. The only problem I've had with them is output jacks. If you're going for an electric mandolin (I know they've got 'em), be sure to replace the electronic components with something non-shitty.

I'm assuming ALoveSupreme's mandolin is an acoustic though (since the vast majority of them are, funnily enough), but I don't know what you're looking to do with the mandolin, heh.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2007, 16:39 »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been searching a bit and it doesn't seem like a teacher is in the cards at this point. I can't find one anywhere near my school anyway. I have been searching around a fair amount on the intertubes for an mandolin which seems decent and found this package: http://themandolinhut.com/bean_blossom_mandolin_bm4a.htm
It comes with picks, a chromatic tuner, a case, a chord book, and a strap along with a mandolin which seems pretty decent, all for (according to the site) less than the list price of the mandolin itself. Anyone think this looks like a pretty good deal?
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #10 on: 04 Oct 2007, 11:30 »

Try poking around for a used one - That  one looks ok, but I'm sure you can find something better for the same price. I'd recommend calling fatdawg. He's always got a lot of really vintage stuff for real cheap. You'll end up getting something really cool that sounds great and looks awesome and unique. I got my mandolin from him, and it's a really amazing little number from Romania. http://www.fatdawg.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up