THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 02:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Brutal Legend  (Read 60655 times)

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
Re: Brutal Legend
« Reply #100 on: 05 Oct 2009, 19:32 »

meh, looks ok.
Help bring back the dragons!

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #101 on: 05 Oct 2009, 19:47 »

I will fuck you up, little man.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #102 on: 05 Oct 2009, 20:40 »

Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #103 on: 05 Oct 2009, 22:27 »

Also, to those of you with monetary woes, Gamestop is offering a "Buy for $20" with the trade-in of certain games.  It's actually a rather large list.  They've also got the same deal going with the new Need for Speed, but whatever.

MegaLexi

• Plantmonster
  • So happy I'm bloody vibrating.
« Reply #104 on: 07 Oct 2009, 03:42 »

This was me throughout the entire demo.

Six days. I can wait that long. I think. ...Just for the sake of argument though, when do game shipments usually arrive to Gamestops? The night before? Is the truck marked in any way, or is it just UPS, or what? I only need to know for scientific purposes, I assure you that my home defense broken softball bat will stay by my computer.

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #105 on: 07 Oct 2009, 09:22 »

We get them at least a day beforehand. I'd be we'll have Brutal Legend on the 9th, maybe the 12th.

But we won't sell it to you for two reasons. 1: Stores who sell street-dated games before the street date are fined between $50,000 and $100,000 per copy sold. 2: Our primary method of entertainment is taunting you with it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #106 on: 07 Oct 2009, 09:53 »

My dad got his review copy yesterday.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

MegaLexi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #107 on: 07 Oct 2009, 14:33 »

We get them at least a day beforehand. I'd be we'll have Brutal Legend on the 9th, maybe the 12th.

But we won't sell it to you for two reasons. 1: Stores who sell street-dated games before the street date are fined between $50,000 and $100,000 per copy sold. 2: Our primary method of entertainment is taunting you with it.

So, just for the sake of argument. Do they come by UPS truck? >.> Just curious of course. NO I AM NOT GOING TO STAGE AN ASSAULT ON A GAMES STORE FOR THIS AWESOME PIECE OF GAMING HISTORY HOW DARE YOU

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #108 on: 11 Oct 2009, 11:08 »

Depends on the store, we get Purolator.

Our copies arrived last Thursday, along with Uncharted 2. THEY'RE CALLING TO ME. They're right there and I can't play them until Tuesday! :cry:

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #109 on: 11 Oct 2009, 11:32 »

My dad got his review copy yesterday.

Where does your dad work and can he get me an in.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

ackblom12

« Reply #110 on: 11 Oct 2009, 11:42 »

And this game has got to wait until payday. Goddamnit.

I swear I'm going to have to take a complete break from the chats and internet for a few days.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #111 on: 12 Oct 2009, 06:43 »

Man I can't even find a release date for AU. Why the fuck does the video game industry not even acknowledge our fucking existence?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #112 on: 12 Oct 2009, 07:08 »

Because your ratings board is a fucking dick.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #113 on: 12 Oct 2009, 07:10 »

Fuck I need this right goddamn now, when does this thing come out, today or tomorrow or what?

Also from a few days ago on  gamespot:. Hour's worth of gameplay.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2009, 07:16 by Boro_Bandito »
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #114 on: 12 Oct 2009, 07:42 »

Oh. Well okay then. (seriously? I did not know this. It does, however, make a lot of sense)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #115 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:02 »

I just watched the video with the "strategy" gameplay and man, I really do not like squad-based, AI-dependent "console RTS" gameplay. It was really boring in Overlord 2. If it turns out to be a big part of Brutal Legend it's going to seriously hamper my enjoyment of the game.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #116 on: 12 Oct 2009, 10:17 »

Oh. Well okay then. (seriously? I did not know this. It does, however, make a lot of sense)

Yeah, the Australian board is notoriously draconian, nearly as bad as the German one. I know Left 4 Dead 2 has been full-on banned in Australia unless Valve specifically censors it for that market.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #117 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:26 »

Which it has, by the way.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #118 on: 12 Oct 2009, 13:32 »

Not particularly surprising, but it sucks for the Aussies!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #119 on: 12 Oct 2009, 22:59 »

I just watched the video with the "strategy" gameplay and man, I really do not like squad-based, AI-dependent "console RTS" gameplay. It was really boring in Overlord 2. If it turns out to be a big part of Brutal Legend it's going to seriously hamper my enjoyment of the game.

What if it turns out to be implemented well
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #120 on: 13 Oct 2009, 00:01 »

Then it would be the first time, and I would like it. The thing is you have to keep things pretty simple with RTS from a controller. It's gonna be more C&C than WC3, but that's not necessarily bad. From what I understand of the multiplayer (which is straight-up RTS combat) it's your basic rock-paper-scissors setup - a unit has a strength against this type of enemy and a weakness against that type, and so on and so forth, so it all balances out.

All in all I'd prefer it if I could just solo through the game. I'd rather be bashing things myself than ordering AI minions to do it for me if the AI minions are significantly less versatile than I am. But like Overlord 2 I'm sure a party will be needed for puzzle solving and the like.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2009, 00:03 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #121 on: 13 Oct 2009, 09:24 »

I've been playing Brutal Legend for about an hour now, and it FUCKING ROCKS. So far, it's the most fun I've had in a game for YEARS!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #122 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:15 »

Fuck unforseen expenses and I can no longer afford it til payday!!!!!! FUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKK
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #123 on: 13 Oct 2009, 12:21 »

It is in the trunk of my car waiting for me to get off class

along with some og kush
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #124 on: 13 Oct 2009, 15:45 »

OK, first impressions now that my fanboy glee has subsided and I'm a good few hours into it.

Good:
Everything visual and auditory. The landscape looks exactly like how you'd want it, the voice acting is fantastic all-around, the soundtrack is awesome, the character models are all simultaneously hilarious and awesome.(Especially the Headbangers)
The writing. It's Tim Schaefer, though, I'd expect no less.
The facial animations are REALLY impressive, the same quality you'd expect from a major animated movie from Pixar or somesuch.
Regular combat isn't quite as elegant and simple as it was in Arkham Asylum, which, IMO, sets the standard for fighting in an action game, but it's close. There's a bunch of semi-extraneous attacks for those who like variety, but I get along pretty well by mashing X and Square.
Car combat. No aiming, just point in the general direction of bad guys and start shooting. Sounds really dumbed-down, yes, but, since it's not the focal point of the game-this isn't Vigalante or Interstate, after all (Though I wish someone would remake those games...), it works really well and, more importantly, is fun.

The Could Be Better:
Driving. Your car bounces and flies around whenever you hit stuff, and, in the racing minigames, your opponent can shove you all over the road, and you can't do the same. Plus, although this may be a PS3 controller-specific complaint, steering is too fidgety and it's too easy to accidentally boost with L3.
Stage Battles. They're really chaotic, and there's not enough control over your guys. It's either 'Everybody Stay!', 'Everybody Follow Me!' or 'Everybody Go And Fuck Stuff Up In That Direction!' You can't split forces, individually control troops, stuff like that. However, since the unit AI is pretty good, you can get along well enough with the odd command and making sure to keep summoning more troops when you need to. If there was a way to rope up a unit or two to follow you, it'd be nice. You can kinda do it by getting your Headbangers to Mosh Pit with you, but that means that *all* the Headbangers will follow, which doesn't work well for the rest of your units.

The Bad:
There's only one Dethklok song in the soundtrack! Lame! I also found it kinda weird that there's no Metallica in the soundtrack, given that they're giant media whores.
Ozzy Osbourne is far easier to understand then usual, and this confuses and frightens me. It's like they got the world's most clear-speaking Ozzy impersonator, instead of Ozzy himself.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #125 on: 13 Oct 2009, 16:17 »

Tim Schafer, get it right
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #126 on: 13 Oct 2009, 20:44 »

It is in the trunk of my car waiting for me to get off class

along with some og kush

Dude, we live like twenty minutes from each other, and I've got a 20 of decent middies and hunger for this game.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #127 on: 13 Oct 2009, 20:51 »

I've been playing for the past few hours myself, and this game is pretty awesome so far. Some things I've noticed:

I am ordinarily very bored by open world games, which is why I'm so surprised that I'm enjoying wandering around the world between missions so much. I chalk it up to the world being so visually interesting; recreating New York City in GTA4 is impressive on a certain level, but I find that the unconstrained imagination at work here much more appealing. There's tons of collectibles, but it feels a lot better integrated than the stuff in Psychonauts did. Freeing bound serpents gets you health upgrades, raising Buried Metal unlocks new songs for the radio, and just about everything gives you fire tributes. It just feels like you're actually accomplishing something with all the collecting, which is something that I don't feel Psychonauts conveyed well.

Surprisingly, the musicians doing voiceover in the game are all pretty good! Ozzy and Rob Halford (as Lionwhyte, I haven't met the character specifically modeled after him yet) have both had some very funny lines so far. The writing overall is great, of course. My only regret is that I accidentally destroyed all the Lionwhyte statues before hearing them scream motivational phrases.

I've done the first two strategy battles, it's definitely hectic but I think the game keeps it pretty manageable. By the end of the second one I felt like I was getting a pretty good handle on it. My favorite thing in the strategy gameplay so far is getting on the back of the Lemmy unit (it has a real name, but who the fuck cares) and stunning a group of enemies, then getting off and immediately playing the Facemelter solo and killing them all. It's super satisfying, especially since whenever you play that solo it does a dramatic closeup of the guys' faces melting off.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #128 on: 14 Oct 2009, 02:01 »

There's only one Dethklok song in the soundtrack! Lame! I also found it kinda weird that there's no Metallica in the soundtrack, given that they're giant media whores.

This is probably one of the best things that could ever have happened. Think about how easy and obvious it would've been for them to just fill the game with well-known bands and "LOL METAL IRONY" bullshit. (although to be fair there's more than enough of that stuff in there anyway, Dethklok, 3 Inches of Blood, Dragonforce, Tenacious D)

Instead there seems to be a genuine respect for the history and breadth of the genre and some really unexpected and surprising stuff that will almost certainly sound fucking amazing in the game, instead of being distracting and an obvious stunt.

A big reason why I and a lot of other people are going as batshit for this game as we are is because, even though there have been games in the past which have had a "metal" aesthetic or referenced it in some way, it has always had the feeling of being slightly condescending to actual metalheads and being based on some yuppie asshole's sterotyped view of metal that he got off of watching VH1.

Even though it seems like I was bashing Dethklok before, I actually really like the show, for the same reason as I like this game. This feels like it was made by someone who has a genuine interest in the music, instead of by someone who is just trying to exploit a market. It's just that the albums suck.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2009, 02:05 by David_Dovey »

Nodaisho

« Reply #129 on: 14 Oct 2009, 02:24 »

I haven't heard the second album, but I liked the first one. There is nothing wrong with a bit of cheese, just ask Manowar.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with you.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #130 on: 14 Oct 2009, 02:39 »

The thing about Dethklok is that the dude who makes pretty much all of the music actually likes metal and playing guitar. The music is good, the premise is just silly.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #131 on: 14 Oct 2009, 02:49 »

No it's not. It's good in the context of the show/as a vehicle for jokes. But you can not honestly tell me that it is anything above garage-level death metal with some "competent" guitar playing. You can't tell me that anyone would've given a shit about it if it wasn't linked to the show.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #132 on: 14 Oct 2009, 10:06 »

One thing I have to say before I forget to mention it. Between the stage battles with Lionwhyte there is a mission where you have to take down ballista towers so the rest of your army can make it through a canyon to Lionwhyte's lair. There's a section where you have to stealth past the wall-mounted towers with the roadie units. When you get to the control tower that you're supposed to take down to shut them off, STOP. DO NOT DESTROY IT RIGHT AWAY. Because you're "invisible" there is a conversation between the two guards in the tower that you can eavesdrop on. I don't want to spoil the subject, but it is without a doubt the funniest fucking thing I've heard in a long long time. It goes on for a pretty long time too, so just keep listening until the dialogue stops. Trust me, it's totally worth it.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #133 on: 14 Oct 2009, 11:58 »

So should I buy this game if I don't really like metal at all?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #134 on: 14 Oct 2009, 13:10 »

It's not excessively in-jokey, so I'd say it's worth one playthrough at least. If you're not feeling it, rent it. I could give a fuck about the vast majority of metal, but I like Tim Schafer enough that I bought the game.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #135 on: 14 Oct 2009, 13:44 »

So should I buy this game if I don't really like metal at all?

Metal or not, it's still a very fun game, but you won't get as much out of the setting. If you took away the metal, it'd be a solid 'eh, not bad' action game.

Go watch a few episodes of Metalocalypse. If you like that, you'll have a lot of fun with Brutal Legend.

Nodaisho

« Reply #136 on: 14 Oct 2009, 15:25 »

What? Metalocalypse revolves around shock humor, Tim Schafer's stuff doesn't.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #137 on: 14 Oct 2009, 16:03 »

You didn't have to be a pirate to enjoy monkey island. You don't have to be a metalhead to enjoy brutal legend.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

MegaLexi

• Plantmonster
« Reply #138 on: 14 Oct 2009, 18:34 »

You didn't have to be a pirate to enjoy monkey island. You don't have to be a metalhead to enjoy brutal legend.

However, it will help in both cases.

Also holy crap the jungle. Just... the jungle. And the people in the jungle. My god I want one of those cats as a pet. The midsize one, not the big one.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #139 on: 14 Oct 2009, 18:42 »

this game is s.o.g.o.o.d.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #140 on: 14 Oct 2009, 20:21 »

What? Metalocalypse revolves around shock humor, Tim Schafer's stuff doesn't.

I was more referring to the style of the universe then the specific writing-you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't think Schafer isn't funny, irregardless of the subject material, but to really enjoy the game and get the most out of the setting and humour, you've gotta be a metalhead (Who's willing to laugh at the really silly, over-the-top aspects of the genre as well)

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #141 on: 14 Oct 2009, 23:28 »

I just beat it and wow.  This game is good.  However, it misses the awesome mark by just a little bit.  I have only a single, tiny complaint with the game and that's in regards to it's length.  There are probably over twice as many side-missions as there are story missions.  It REALLY needs to be the other way around.  The story was great but near the end it was just way too rushed.  They needed to make the game way longer.  If you guys haven't really started the game yet, do EVERY side-mission.  If you blaze through the main campaign and only do a few side-missions then you'll beat the game in about 6 hours.  And you'll get really, really sad when the game is over.  I know I got sad, I really didn't want it to finish.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #142 on: 15 Oct 2009, 00:55 »

Just finished it. Totally loved it, I really got more into the strategy stuff by the end of it. If you like Tim Schafer, I really strongly suggest you buy it. Johnny just got to the conversation I mentioned in one of my earlier posts and he can vouch for its awesomeness.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #143 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:01 »

I want to make a note that out of all the awesome music to get stuck in my head, why did it have to be the Kabbage Boys song at the beginning? I hate my ears so bad for that right now.

god damned Nu-Metal crap...

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #144 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:12 »

Haha, that gets stuck in my head too.

Girlfriend! You know you'll always be my beeessstt friend.

To be fair though, Children of the Grave gets stuck in my head a lot too.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #145 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:40 »

Oh God! I just kinda had the rhythm stuck JESUS DON'T ADD LYRICS OH NOOOOOO!!!!

...There's only one answer for getting the poison out of my head: Power Drill.

Nodaisho

« Reply #146 on: 15 Oct 2009, 10:00 »

Oh fuck you, I just got it in my head now.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #147 on: 15 Oct 2009, 10:14 »

So, have we confirmed that that's Weird Al doing the vocals during that bit?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #148 on: 15 Oct 2009, 20:44 »

Goddamn it, I can't find the last Motor Forge to raise for the life of me. Still need about 500 more fire tributes for the last two upgrades, too. Got all the solos and freed 80 serpents, though.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #149 on: 16 Oct 2009, 05:22 »

Anyone get annoyed by the matchmaking system for multiplayer yet? It says you can play with up to 8 people, but even when I turn settings to Anyone can Join, it still pits me in this one on one bullcrap.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up