THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brutal Legend  (Read 59977 times)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Brutal Legend
« Reply #150 on: 16 Oct 2009, 19:47 »

So after searching every place I can think of, my totals are: all Legend Statues, all solos, all Motor Forges, all upgrades, 118/120 Bound Serpents, 23/24 Buried Metal, 23/24 Lightning Plug jumps, and 31/32 landmark viewers. Which means I am going to have to scour the map all over again for those last 5 collectibles if I want 100%.

I need a drink.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #151 on: 16 Oct 2009, 20:35 »

Yeah, so it turns out I totally rock at the strategy bits.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ackblom12

« Reply #152 on: 16 Oct 2009, 20:39 »

Holy shit guys I killed living motorcycle hogs and a girl ripped their spines out and turned them into a massive gun and I've had my car turned into a sentry tower and Lemmy is the fucking high priest of fucking metal who heals with fucking fat ass bass strings made form the webbing of a chrome spider queen OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS IS AMAZING.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #153 on: 17 Oct 2009, 09:47 »

The last two statements kinda summarize my experiences so far.  Dropkicking those porcupine things is also amusing, and I've hit some RAD jumps.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #154 on: 18 Oct 2009, 00:38 »

The RTS stuff is actually a lot more satisfying than the straight-up combat.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #155 on: 18 Oct 2009, 01:39 »

I WILL find those last two serpents, god damn it.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #156 on: 18 Oct 2009, 07:36 »

Some of them are real pains in the ass.  I haven't even found 30 yet, but there are a couple I've gotten that are really tucked away in corners that you can't see unless you travel off the beaten path.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #157 on: 19 Oct 2009, 21:38 »

Just finished getting 100%. Jesus, that takes a while. Also, I highly suggest everyone do all the hunting missions, because the dialogue when you turn in the last one is pretty hilarious.

ackblom12

« Reply #158 on: 19 Oct 2009, 22:10 »

jesus fucking christ I have 1 missing serpent.

I hate you Tim Schaffer with the love of a 1,000 suns.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2009, 11:46 by ackblom12 »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #159 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:45 »

I'm finally finished, so I'm back to adoring him again. I definitely had that moment for a few hours though.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #160 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:02 »

This game is funny but I don't particularly enjoy actually playing it.

I guess I think it's more like Rental of the Year as opposed to Game of the Year, which would probably sit better with me if I hadn't of purchased it.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 14:48 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

torontoguy2k8

• Plantmonster
« Reply #161 on: 06 Nov 2009, 15:12 »

This game is funny but I don't particularly enjoy actually playing it.

I guess I think it's more like Rental of the Year as opposed to Game of the Year, which would probably sit better with me if I hadn't of purchased it.

Yeah. Awesome game but not much replay value. I beat it in about 5 days of on and off playing.
Rental of the year? Hell yeah! GotY? not so much...

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #162 on: 07 Nov 2009, 03:17 »

That post seemed unnecessary.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #163 on: 10 Nov 2009, 03:09 »

So are they setting up for there to be a sequel to this dang thing? That would be nice because I'd kinda like to see a continuation of the story- especially with more unfolding of Eddie's history- and I'd really really like to see them fine-tune the gameplay.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #164 on: 10 Nov 2009, 04:39 »

I think they leave it open intentionally. Tim Schafer did say they had written enough to fill 3 games of Brutal Legend's size, so it sounds like he's not hurting for ideas to make a sequel if he gets the opportunity. I guess we should see how it does when NPD numbers come out in a week or so.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #165 on: 16 Nov 2009, 18:18 »

the game didn't hit npd top ten  :|
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #166 on: 16 Nov 2009, 19:46 »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #167 on: 04 Aug 2010, 20:07 »

Unfortunately I have no news re: Brutal Legend, but what I do have is this pretty scathing article on Activision's business practices 'round the time that they fucked Schafer.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #168 on: 06 Aug 2010, 21:50 »

There is some news about Double Fine though, both good and bad. Bad news first: Tim Schafer said that EA passed on Brutal Legend 2, so that's definitely not happening anytime soon. I believe Double Fine owns the rights themselves because EA put it out through the Partners program, but they'd have to shop it around to other publishers and it sounds like they're not interested in doing that right now. That's certainly a bummer: though it undeniably has flaws, I thought Brutal Legend was a sharply funny and extremely unique game bought down by a combination of external business dealings and mismanaged consumer expectations.

However, while BL was in publisher limbo, Schafer apparently held an internal game design competition within Double Fine, because they basically had nothing to do anyway. When EA passed on BL2, they were sort of scrambling to figure out their next project, and ended up converting the entries people came up with into 4 separate prototypes and decided to shop those around. Schafer was apparently expecting one or possibly two to get picked up, but apparently all 4 have gotten publishing deals, so Double Fine as a studio is still in business for the near future. We don't know anything about the individual games except that apparently some will be downloadable (although at least one is still a traditional retail game), but all 4 are significantly lower budget than Brutal Legend. I think this is probably a healthier model for Schafer's games, to be honest: as funny and excellent as they all are, they've always struggled commercially. Lowering the budget risk for publishers while still leveraging Schafer's name recognition seems to be the best way for Double Fine to keep running successfully. And on the plus side for us, now there will be four times as many games with Schafer's writing in them coming out.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #169 on: 06 Aug 2010, 22:01 »

And, honestly, if you've played Double Fine's flash games, you'd know that XBLA/PSN/Steam games are a perfect fit for them.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #170 on: 07 Aug 2010, 01:21 »

looking briefly at their site, I'm going to assume one of these games will be Psychonauts 2.
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #171 on: 07 Aug 2010, 01:35 »

looking briefly at their site, I'm going to assume one of these games will be Psychonauts 2.
pleasepleasepleaseplease

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #172 on: 07 Aug 2010, 02:02 »

With 4 consecutive projects, none of them can be all that time-consuming. If there is a new Psychonauts it will probably be a lighter (perhaps episodic?) project ala the new Sam & Max. As Ozy suggests, this would be a comfortable fit for their humor, but I wonder about the ability for Double Fine to convey pathos with the same deftness they've exhibited in past projects in newer ones of a smaller scope.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #173 on: 07 Aug 2010, 02:47 »

That's true. Although Schafer's writing is definitely more acclaimed for its humor, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, and even Brutal Legend (to a degree) dealt with some pretty heavy subject matter. It's remarkable how effective it is (more so than the vast majority of games that attempt pathos) despite being relatively understated.

And it's not clear whether all of these projects are consecutive, to be fair. We know that they've all been signed, and that some of them will apparently be announced very soon, but they could be in various stages of production. It is worth mentioning that this not a multi-game deal with a single publisher, a la Platinum's 4 game deal with Sega. They aren't putting all their eggs in one basket, which is probably safer for them anyway. I bet one of them's THQ: they've launched a copycat Partners program to compete with EA and have made a big deal out of getting big name industry talent to work for them, and Double Fine has been burned enough by bad publisher arrangements that owning their IP is undoubtedly very appealing.

As for Psychonauts 2, I kind of doubt it. It would probably have to go through Majesco and possibly even Microsoft to happen, and I can't see them having much interest. Majesco is in full on casual game publisher mode these days (arguably because of Psychonauts, although the lion's share of the blame can probably be placed on Advent Rising), and Microsoft was disinterested enough to drop the original game in the first place. Then again, the details of these contracts are obviously not made public, so maybe it's less complicated than it would seem.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #174 on: 10 Aug 2010, 15:40 »

First DF downloadable game revealed! It's called Costume Quest, and it's pitched as a SNES-era RPG brought into 3D and set on Halloween. It's being directed by Tasha Harris, the lead animator of Psychonauts and Brutal Legend (who also does a lot of the comics on DF's website, if you read those). It's being published by THQ (called it!) and scheduled for release on XBLA/PSN later this fall.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up