THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Assassin's Creed  (Read 31497 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Assassin's Creed
« on: 26 Oct 2007, 10:56 »

I'm surprised there hasn't been a topic on this yet. Are you guys as excited for this game as I am? I reserved my copy a couple days ago and November-whenever cannot come soon enough. If you don't know what i'm talking about; go here to find out what all the hype is about.
I've got the release date as Nov. 13th on my calender. Any of you internet geniuses heard different?
I'm a freerunner (traceur) so I'm looking forward to running around the roof-tops like a nimble, little freak. Any other freerunners 'round here?
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Assassin's Creed
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2007, 11:18 »

I'm a freerunner (traceur) so I'm looking forward to running around the roof-tops like a nimble, little freak and then murdering people horribly. Any other freerunners 'round here?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2007, 11:54 »

It did in fact go gold yesterday, with the announced date of November 13th. There were a lot of rumors it would be delayed, because of difficulty with the RAM restrictions on the PS3 and difficulty compressing it onto one disc for the 360. My concern at this point is that they rushed it to manufacturing without proper QA testing and it will end up buggy as hell. Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I'm waiting to see the reaction upon release before I cough up cash for this one. It doesn't even touch Mass Effect in the realm of games I'm pissing myself in excitement for.

Not literally, of course. I haven't done that for weeks.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2007, 12:06 »

I'm not the only Kotaku reader around here I guess :)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2007, 12:10 »

Kotaku is like crack for me, basically. It's a constant stream of video game-related trivia that I need to know at all times.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2007, 13:47 by Storm Rider »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2007, 13:05 »

Yeah, i'm kind of worried about it being buggy too. i've read a couple of "reviews" from people who got to play a demo sometime in the course of the last month (i think) and it sounds like there were still a good amount of bugs. I'm just staying optimistic because Ubisoft hasn't let me down in the past....except for the 20% disapointment i felt at the third Prince of Persia game.

It doesn't even touch Mass Effect in the realm of games I'm pissing myself in excitement for.

Likewise. But i know that Mass Effect is going to take up alot of my time so i want something to do before that comes out and eats my life. You can only play through Bioshock so many times before you need to move on, and it's almost that time for me.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2007, 15:22 »

yeah, i've been skating for a long time and i just started doing parkour a year or two ago but i used to be a gymnast so it's pretty natural for me.
but i can only do these things in short bursts since i've been smoking for so long and i had asthma as a kid to begin with.

Yeah, i heard that this was the first part of a trilogy too but i didn't know the following games would be set in the high-tech future or whatever. i mean, i knew Assassin's Creed had some sort of high-tech underlying storyline but i wasn't sure what exactly that meant or what they would do with it. But if this his training....i can't imagine the same general gameplay in the future being any less enjoyable. Assuming that this game is going to be enjoyable in the first place (which it better be).

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2007, 18:23 »

I'm rather interested in this game and it's planned sequels, but Ubisoft is so hit and miss for me that I can't make myself get too terribly excited. Since I'm gonna have so goddamn many games eating my soul (Hellgate, Mass Effect and Mario Galaxyjust to name a few) I'm probably going to be waiting till after the holidays to even rent it.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2007, 11:38 »

I gotta say this looks pretty damn awesome. Hitman meets Prince of Persia in Jerusalem during the Crusades with some kind of bizarre, as of yet unexplained sci-fi undercurrent to the story which will, apparently, play a big role later on. Sounds strange and incredibly cool.  I just hope they can pull it off. All the features make this a very ambitious project which makes it 10 times more likely it will fail to live up to its hype. Here's to hoping it pulls off all the awesomeness the previews have described.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #9 on: 01 Nov 2007, 20:00 »

This is the best gameplay video I've seen so far. This might be because it came out in September.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lEIQWBBegqA
It is a full eight minutes of gameplay, showcasing one of the missions done in one of many ways.

Edit: Apparently there is a second part of the walkthrough which ends up showing the breadth of one of the three cities in the game, not including the land between the cities.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2007, 20:06 by MusicScribbles »
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #10 on: 02 Nov 2007, 07:10 »

My only gripe is that I don't have enough money for this.  I have 50$ left on a Best Buy gift card and I'm using that for Unreal Tournament 3.  I just had to get a new transmission on my car ($2700) so I'm pretty much wiped out.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #11 on: 02 Nov 2007, 21:05 »

I love the look of this game, but it's a rent-first proposition simply because I, like Dimmukane, am strapped for cash. I'll rent it and Mass Effect, see how they live up, then plop 'em on the Christmas list if they're worth my time. If not, I know they'll be worth the ~$7 rental fee.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #12 on: 02 Nov 2007, 23:07 »

Yeah, the only reason i decided to just go ahead reserve a copy is because i've been hearing about this game for a long time and it's been driving me crazy; and i knew i'd be getting paid right around the time it comes out so it's not a big deal. I'm completely broke at the moment (buying smokes and gas with quarters? yeah, that broke) but it won't last long.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #13 on: 03 Nov 2007, 09:25 »

I just hope it has replay value. The Hitman series has been pretty good at giving so many routes to the same objective that you can play each mission several times; if Assassin's Creed has that kind of diversity, I'll be extremely pleased.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #14 on: 03 Nov 2007, 09:39 »

Considering the open-world structure of the game, I have to imagine that was a goal for them.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #15 on: 03 Nov 2007, 22:46 »

Yeh, but open-world is the new hot topic in video games recently. GTA started it, and there have been good and bad examples; I'm not debating Assassin's Creed's potential, I'm merely saying that I hope they did it WELL.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #16 on: 03 Nov 2007, 22:57 »

I know. I was just commenting to the effect that an open-world style environment would lend it very well to a more free-form way to approach missions from a pure design perspective. The merits of the game itself weren't really my implication.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #17 on: 03 Nov 2007, 23:41 »

My fault for saying something stupid originally. I admit that a few of the mechanics look ugly (this whole "guards trailing behind you because you got a headstart" bullshit, for one), but on a whole I'm starting to really look forward to it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #18 on: 04 Nov 2007, 00:36 »

Like I said, my primary concern at this point is QA. The development team was talking about difficulties they were having (the ones I mentioned in a post earlier) only about a month ago, and that coupled with the fact that Ubisoft lagged a long time before announcing that the game had gone gold and giving a specific release date (before the gold announcement it was just given a November release window) gives me a sneaking suspicion that Ubisoft kicked the game out the door before giving the team the time to properly work out all the bugs so they could hit the holiday release window and get it out when the hype was still at its peak. That might just be me being pessimistic, but I'm not preordering this game until I see the critical reaction.

I don't want to sound like I'm not excited for this game, because I really am. But I'm a little skeptical nonetheless. I'm not wholeheartedly ready to give my money away like I am with Mass Effect and Super Mario Galaxy.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 05 Nov 2007, 10:54 »

If you'll excuse the double post, I thought today's Penny Arcade strip was the funniest in a good while:

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #20 on: 05 Nov 2007, 14:42 »

haha definitely worth a double-post.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #21 on: 05 Nov 2007, 15:48 »

Rare really needs to make a new Conker game.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #22 on: 05 Nov 2007, 16:36 »

That'd be awesome.  I played through most of Conker: Live & Reloaded.  I thought it was pretty sweet.  A sequel would be really cool, now that I think about it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #23 on: 05 Nov 2007, 17:07 »

Rare really needs to make a new Conker game.

That wins this thread's Bizarre and Completely Unrelated Statement Award, I think.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #24 on: 05 Nov 2007, 17:19 »

The PA made me think that someone should make an absurd, violent, cute and cuddly game.

Then I remembered Rare already did that.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #25 on: 05 Nov 2007, 18:43 »

Ya, seriously, that better be their next project after Banjo Threeie.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 05 Nov 2007, 18:50 »

Ya, seriously, that better be their next project instead of Banjo Threeie.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #27 on: 06 Nov 2007, 06:47 »

Well, I somehow doubt that all of their resources are going to Banjo Threeie anyways.  And they've handed off Viva Pinata to other companies for expansions.  Fingers crossed.

To stay on topic, does anyone know the song used in the slo-mo trailer they had for this?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #28 on: 06 Nov 2007, 10:11 »

i like that song. couldn't begin to guess who it is though.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #29 on: 08 Nov 2007, 05:11 »

This is the best gameplay video I've seen so far. This might be because it came out in September.
It is a full eight minutes of gameplay, showcasing one of the missions done in one of many ways.

Did anyone else watch this video, and think that it looks like basically a very pretty and slightly tedious version of Thief, with a healthy dose of Ico or Shadow of the Colossus thrown in? Also, what the hell was with the piss-weak A.I. for the guards? "We have the assassin surrounded, ten to one. He has his back to me. I have a great big sword in my hand. If only I knew what to do next!"

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #30 on: 08 Nov 2007, 11:02 »

Did anyone else watch this video, and think that it looks like basically a very pretty and slightly tedious version of Thief, with a healthy dose of Ico or Shadow of the Colossus thrown in? Also, what the hell was with the piss-weak A.I. for the guards? "We have the assassin surrounded, ten to one. He has his back to me. I have a great big sword in my hand. If only I knew what to do next!"

You know, this is the thing everyone has been complaining about with regards to the game, but you have to look at it from a gameplay perspective. If you had a dozen guys all swinging at you at once, then you'd be cut down within seconds and the game would just become frustrating. Plus, since the combat is all about countering and timing, having to fight multiple opponents at once would be nearly impossible. Sure, it's a little weird when it's all about pedestrian reactions to your movements and all that, but I think it was a necessary sacrifice to make the game playable, ultimately.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 09 Nov 2007, 19:15 »

Or they could have it so that you still had to fight the same number of guards, but instead of them all being in the room right from the start they could arrive one or two or three at a time, so you had to fight wave after wave of them. What they've got at the moment seems to be a really lazy solution to a genuine issue.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #32 on: 09 Nov 2007, 20:20 »

Reviews are up. All of the reviewers say the enemy AI is necessarily nerfed for the combat to work properly. Lowest score I've seen is 95%.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #33 on: 09 Nov 2007, 20:23 »

I generally give the final word to Gamespot's review, so I'm going to wait to see that before I make a decision. However, early reactions seem promising.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #34 on: 10 Nov 2007, 14:14 »

That's what I thought too. But I'd think a combination of Thief and Hitman would be worth buying. I don't remember the enemies in Blood Money being all that smart either, but that just made it fun to cut them down, especially with that physics engine they had. So I guess the question is can you muscle through the game and survive as in Hitman, or are fights something you'd do best to avoid as in Thief? I'd prefer the former, if just because the point of the game is to kill people whereas in Thief you rarely had to. It comes down to that, for me.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #35 on: 11 Nov 2007, 02:22 »

Surely the point of a game called Assassin's Creed would be to kill one specific person, then disappear?

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #36 on: 11 Nov 2007, 02:30 »

Well, yes, but the "point" to Hitman was to kill one guy, then disappear. I ended up killing about 50. Then shooting the civilians.

Then dragging their bodies into toilets.

Then asploding them all.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #37 on: 11 Nov 2007, 04:53 »

One of my ideal games would be Thief crossed with Prince of Persia crossed with Hitman crossed with a good book.

I might have to look into this, at least as far as what platforms it's on.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #38 on: 11 Nov 2007, 07:40 »

Fuck it, I'm getting this with the gift card.  Unreal Tournament 3 will have a GOTY edition eventually, I'll have 2 DX10 video cards/Vista eventually, it can wait.  Besides, any modding I was going to do would have to wait until possibly summer, I'm loaded down with work as it is.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #39 on: 11 Nov 2007, 09:32 »

Apparently it's headed to the PC in Q1 of 2008, but I can't really imagine controlling the protagonist with a mouse. I think I'll have to wait for Christmas on this one, since I'm strapped for cash oh-so-much-so.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #40 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:16 »

Well, yes, but the "point" to Hitman was to kill one guy, then disappear. I ended up killing about 50. Then shooting the civilians.

Then dragging their bodies into toilets.

Then asploding them all.

It depends on the person who plays the game, then. For me, playing all the Hitman games on the PC, I would save frequently and if any one saw me or I set off any alarms I would reload. I refused to kill anyone unless I absolutely had to in those games, especially the first time around. That's why, from Hitman 2 on, I got close to Silent Assassin on almost all levels b/c I was OCD and a perfectionists about it. Of course, once I beat the game I ran through each level on ridiculous murder rampages but I honestly did enjoy the first approach more (just like in most levels of most Splinter Cell games). I, for one, plan on playing Assassins Creed with as much delicacy as possible.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Narr

« Reply #41 on: 13 Nov 2007, 13:22 »

If I only had a PS3, I would own this game.

Alas.  I do not have $600 to waste on a glorified Blu-Ray DVD player.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 13 Nov 2007, 13:23 »

It's... on 360 also, dude.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #43 on: 13 Nov 2007, 13:41 »

mother fucker

when i reserved mine, the idiot told me this came out today so i've been looking forward to this day for weeks and i went to pick up my copy today and the guy looked at me like i was made out of iguanas. fucking pretentious video game store employees. my entire plan for the day has been ruined.

edit: it looks like it was supposed to come out today but apparently that changed at some point...now it SHIPS today and goes on sale tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 13:45 by Scandanavian War Machine »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #44 on: 13 Nov 2007, 14:59 »

mother fucker

when i reserved mine, the idiot told me this came out today so i've been looking forward to this day for weeks and i went to pick up my copy today and the guy looked at me like i was made out of iguanas. fucking pretentious video game store employees. my entire plan for the day has been ruined.

edit: it looks like it was supposed to come out today but apparently that changed at some point...now it SHIPS today and goes on sale tomorrow.
Yeah, that happened to me when I preordered the expansion to NWN2. I was pretty pissed when I went in and they didn't have it like they said they would. They really ought to fix that.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #45 on: 13 Nov 2007, 15:47 »

Gamespot's review is up and is a 9.0 out of 10. That's enough for me, but I can't help but scratch my head at 1up's 7. It's not only extremely different from everyone else's score, but the review is sort of unprofessional. It's just like 'yeah, it's cool, but it didn't live up to the hype for me'. Like, he barely talked about the game itself at all. Am I supposed to look through that entire reviewer's history to see if I should agree with his taste in games? It's odd.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #46 on: 13 Nov 2007, 16:16 »

yeah, ign gave it a 7.7 but most other places gave it 8s or 9s. at least ign gave a detailed review with all the reasons for the score instead of just saying "i didn't really like it. deal with it."

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #47 on: 13 Nov 2007, 20:20 »

IGN AU called it a 7.7, and the editor's note says that IGN US loves the fuckin' shit out of it. The Aussies are INSAAAAAAAAAANE!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #48 on: 15 Nov 2007, 11:34 »

okay, i meant to post this last night but i was far too busy playing this awesome game. it's really good, guys. nothing compares to the feeling of your very first assassination (assuming you do it the quiet way). also; the Leap of Faith never gets any less satisfying....it's always amazing to suicide dive from eighty feet up and land safely in a pile of hay.

and the AI? not as big of an issue as everyone makes it out to be. as it turns out, the combat is pretty hard to get just right so the crappy AI doesn't really matter because you will still get knocked around a bit.

my only real problem with this game so far is the things that are and aren't considered suspicious. you can just be walking by a guard and he'll attack you but you can be running around on rooftop and getting in brawls and they won't think twice about it. but even that you get used to and becomes less of an issue with time.

also; this game is HUGE. not only are there three huge cities to explore (of which, i've explored only 2/9 of the total area) but there is a huge "wilderness" area that lies between the three main cities where you can ride horses and to more exploring etc.  also, there is a fourth, smaller city where you start the game which is like the assassin headquarters.
there's no DLC, there's no online of any kind, no multiplayers, but don't think that this will be a short game to finish and be done with; there are hundreds of flags of different types strewn about the cities and outlying areas for you to collect (some of which are very well hidden). obviously, collecting them all gets you some achievments and has a positive effect on the game which i won't go into.

in summary: i think this game is alot of fun.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #49 on: 15 Nov 2007, 13:20 »

I only got to play it for an hour last night.  Wonderful stuff.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up