THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assassin's Creed  (Read 31182 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Assassin's Creed
« Reply #50 on: 15 Nov 2007, 14:28 »

Yeah, i'm not going anywhere this weekend. partially because of this game, partially because i don't have any money to put gas in my car....

.....because i bought this game. hm, i guess it's all because of this game. oh well.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #51 on: 15 Nov 2007, 17:28 »

This'll come up on my Christmas list: I'm broke right now. Oh well. : (
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #52 on: 15 Nov 2007, 20:12 »

Why is there no demo for this game?! Let me write down my outrage!
I will be picking this up on Sunday no doubt. Thanksgiving break will be filled with assassinations.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #53 on: 16 Nov 2007, 14:19 »

i just discovered the joys of getting guards to chase me onto a rooftop then, instead of escaping, just initiate a fight and throw them all over the edge to their deaths. very satisfying.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #54 on: 16 Nov 2007, 18:49 »

Oh god.

Shit yes.

Parkour and stabbing in perfect harmony makes for a pretty fucking excellent game.

QFT.

Who else thought it was such a cock-tease to have all the abilities at the beginning then getting them stripped 20 minutes in? Ahh.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #55 on: 16 Nov 2007, 19:54 »

Like games have been doing since the original Metroid? I guess, but you get sort of used to it after a while.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #56 on: 16 Nov 2007, 21:21 »

Like games have been doing since the original Metroid? I guess, but you get sort of used to it after a while.

Yeah. But.. you buy the game going "HOLY FUCKING SHIT I'M A MEDIEVAL ASSASSIN. ZOMG THERE'S A BLADE ON MY WRIST. HOLY SHIT"

And ten minutes later I get to punch people. And that is all.

Still.

Also, holy shit, rounding that corner and seeing Damascus in front of me. Ah My god. I nearly wet myself.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #57 on: 16 Nov 2007, 23:24 »

I played another hour and a half today.  That was also fun.  Fucking homework is keeping me from it.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #58 on: 17 Nov 2007, 13:16 »

I like this game a lot, it's a pretty seamless integration of Prince of Persia and a GTA clone, the combat is the best to ever be put into an "open-world" game, the missions are always fun and it looks gorgeous. I haven't seen a game this polished since C&C3. But some of the design, particularly the plot design, is really dissonant.

The sci-fi stuff really hurts the game, plot-wise. It's nice in that it provides a device to explain away and integrate things like respawning, load times, invisible walls and the fact that everyone speaks english into the gameplay, all that in itself adds to the immersion of the game, but they really dropped the ball with the little "interludes" in which the Damien the bartender-who-swears-he's-not-an-assassin-but-apparently-is-and-holds-all-his-ancestors-memories-in-his-DNA "unravels the mystery". It totally disrupts the flow of the game, and it's annoying and totally pointless in the context of the game. And given the stupidly contrived "your ancestor's memory is fully encoded into your DNA", I'm not expecting the big reveal of what exactly the scientists want out of you to be all that relevatory or interesting in any way. So whenever Kristen Bell wants me to rest or whatever, I do it as fast as possible so I can get back to the meat of the game, and I think the devs wanted me to take more interest in their sci-fi setup.

It's like if you took the movie Terminator 2, and every 20 minutes you added a 10 minute interlude about office workers trying to figure out why their copy machine is broken. And on top of that, start off the movie with a guy talking about how the Terminator stuff isn't actually happening and is a means to an end to figure out why the copy machine is broken. Even if you're going to link up the copy machine plot with the Terminator plot at the end and have the copy machine plot totally foreshadow the next movie, who fucking cares about a broken copy machine, we want to get to the terminating, because the terminating is fun, interesting and engaging, and it's what the movie is supposed to be about, and the copy machine stuff isn't any of those things.

So Ubisoft went overboard on the plot side of things. They couldn't really decide whether they wanted a sci-fi tinged medieval combat game or a medieval combat-tinged sci-fi game, so they figured they'd make a medieval combat game that's also a sci-fi game, and the game is fun enough that they almost made it work when it shouldn't work at all, but they bit off more than they could chew and decided to combine two plots that don't work together. It's a shame they had to burden it from the outset with the responsibility of setting up a franchise instead of just letting it be a perfect game. Had they made the game just about the assassin in the Holy Land it would have been just that.

Quote from: Anyways
Jerusalem is pissing me off. Fucking templars on every corner where you least expect them, then you hear them go "HUAGLBLAGUHUGHLABGH" and you know you're screwed. I've only killed one of them so far, but all the rest seems to have their backs against a wall so it's impossible to sneak up for a silent kill. This has made me even more determined to get the kill all the templars accomplishment.
You're going to want to primarily rely on parrying and counterattacks. The Templars don't get auto-kills when countered but are staggered, and you can just run up and hack them to death, provided you aren't prevented from doing so.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2007, 13:19 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #59 on: 17 Nov 2007, 13:28 »

I am going to get this game, but it's probably going to have to wait. I'm still playing the hell out of Super Mario Galaxy right now, and I probably won't finish that before I go home for Thanksgiving on Wednesday where my copy of Mass Effect awaits. So basically, it'll probably be mid-December before I get around to picking this up. Maybe it'll be my present to myself after finals or something.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #60 on: 17 Nov 2007, 16:52 »

regarding the sci-fi plot: i was pretty disapointed with how it was done for most of the game. i mean, it's a decent idea but it just doesn't feel right. however, now that i am at the end of the game (i think) the sci-fi stuff starts to get more interesting. it's still lame to be walking around in that stupid lab but the more information they reveal to you about Abstergo and why they kidnapped you, the more curious i become about what's going to happen.
so it's not all bad, i guess.

also; jesus this game gets hard towards the end. everyone has caught word of all the killing you've been doing and there are more guards, they are more alert, and they are extremely suspicious of anything you do.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #61 on: 17 Nov 2007, 17:50 »

Yay, spoilers.

Bleh.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #62 on: 17 Nov 2007, 18:49 »

Yay, spoilers.

Bleh.
Eh, don't feel bad, the sci-fi bent of the story was the game's worst kept secret during development. I wasn't expecting it to show up right at the beginning of the game, but there it is.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #63 on: 17 Nov 2007, 18:56 »

Yay, spoilers.

Bleh.

According to my friend those details are revealed within 2 minutes of starting the game. It's not really a secret.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #64 on: 18 Nov 2007, 00:06 »

I already knew about the 2-minute twist, but I've already heard more than I wanted to about what happens later in the game. It's like bloody Bioshock all over again.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #65 on: 18 Nov 2007, 09:41 »

I suppose it was a stupid comment to make, I'd just like to hear opinions about the story without someone coming out of the blue and giving their thoughts on the ending. I'm seriously considering renting the game, as I won't be picking it up 'till Christmas, but isn't that like cheating?

MusicScribbles

« Reply #66 on: 18 Nov 2007, 12:01 »

It's not cheating, just premature ejaculation.
I agree about the spoiler thing, but there will always be someone who wants to talk about potential spoiler parts of a game's story, and they have every right to in a thread that hasn't denied the use of spoilers and is about the game.
Anyway, the previous poster really didn't reveal too much, most of it was speculation because we have no idea what the next game is going to be like, we can only guess. (It's going to be a trilogy, like Prince of Persia.)

Also, off topic, but there is a Prince of Persia movie in the works.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0473075/

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #67 on: 18 Nov 2007, 12:28 »

Also, off topic, but there is a Prince of Persia movie in the works.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0473075/
The script hasn't been punched up yet, and with the strike and all, that's bad news for it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #68 on: 18 Nov 2007, 13:03 »

so i beat it last night.

...the game, that is. now all i have to do is collect the 300 or so remaining flags and kill the 50 or so remaining templars. ugh.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #69 on: 18 Nov 2007, 15:23 »

But was it awesome?

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #70 on: 19 Nov 2007, 10:01 »

I can't wait till this game comes out for the PC.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #71 on: 19 Nov 2007, 21:05 »

I'm going with "yes, probably".

[spoilers!]

I just finished the Montferrat mission, though I haven't been able to find the death from above move you see in the preview movie - anyone know if it's still in-game, or how to pull it off? Cause fighting him and about fifty-sixty thousand other guards at the same time was unnecessarily hectic when I could just have jumped down and spiked him in the skull.

[/spoilers!]

You can do this to anyone. Equip your hidden blade and jump off the wall towards him. It performs the High Profile assassination, which is what was done in the trailer. Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has figured this out yet, but with the hidden blade equipped you can still fight guards with counters. They are awesome instant kills of twisting barehanded around a sword to shove a blade into the side of a head.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #72 on: 07 Dec 2007, 01:55 »

I just finished it, and... eh. I suppose I had a good time with it, but there were so many irritating design elements that it sort of brought the game down for me. The beggars women and magical shoving lepers were incredibly annoying, and the control scheme just seemed needlessly complicated. Also, whenever you got the angle even slightly wrong when doing the free running stuff, you would just be stuck running up the same part of the wall half a dozen times because you're too close to the wall to adjust before the running animation starts again. And if they decided to make it so touching water is instant death, then why the fuck did they then set an assassination in the goddamn harbor where you had to jump from boat to boat and even slightly misjudging a move would mean you'd have to start over?

In short, I liked it overall but I've played several more games this year that I enjoyed vastly more.

ackblom12

« Reply #73 on: 07 Dec 2007, 10:42 »

Wait, touching water is insta-death? What the hell? You're a highly trained assassin for a underground organization. Are they all hydrophobes? Are they hoping that there's not a bathtub involved?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 07 Dec 2007, 11:11 »

Exactly. It's like, wait, I can scale enormous cathedrals but I never bothered to learn to swim?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #75 on: 07 Dec 2007, 12:24 »

Well, strip down Altair's gear:
1 longsword
1 shortsword
1 intricate mechanical device strapped to his wrist
A cloak that's likely to be made of wool
Boots that looks to be made of leather
Metal bracers
10 throwing knives

In other words, he's a ninja, and we all know ninjas can't handle water or else they would have taken out the pirates ages ago.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #76 on: 07 Dec 2007, 12:51 »

well, you can hide by sitting on a bench even though you are wearing all white when everyone else on the streets is wearing earth-tones. not to mention the weapons he's not even trying to conceil.
as ridiculous and impossible as it is, this game is alot of fun.

ackblom12

« Reply #77 on: 07 Dec 2007, 13:03 »

I'm fine with lack of logic in games (for Odin's sake I like turn based RPGs) but when it hinders fun, and especially when it pointlessly adds frustration, it's just stupid.

Mind you it still sounds fun as hell and I'm going to be getting it at some point, but it will probably be one aspect that annoys the shit out of me.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #78 on: 07 Dec 2007, 15:26 »

well, then you should enjoy it. all the sillyness doesn't hinder the fun at all.
the intellectual part of you brain is saying "this is so unrealistic. oh man." but all the other parts of your brain are too busy yelling "run motherfucker! jump that gap!" to notice all the shit parts unless you try pretty hard to do so. at least that's how it works for me anyway, but i am extremely easy to please so who knows.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #79 on: 07 Dec 2007, 16:01 »

well, then you should enjoy it. all the sillyness doesn't hinder the fun at all.
the intellectual part of you brain is saying "this is so unrealistic. oh man." but all the other parts of your brain are too busy yelling "run motherfucker! jump that gap!" to notice all the shit parts unless you try pretty hard to do so. at least that's how it works for me anyway, but i am extremely easy to please so who knows.
Unfortunately that's not the case when you're Bartender Man. They place the ridiculousness front and center.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LordNagash

« Reply #80 on: 07 Dec 2007, 17:36 »

In other words, he's a ninja, and we all know ninjas can't handle water or else they would have taken out the pirates ages ago.
Rikimaru can handle water. (From Tenchu)

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #81 on: 08 Dec 2007, 21:49 »

I got this game today and it seems like fun. I say it only seems like fun because it turns out that after the first 6 minutes of actually playing the game (i.e: the tutorials) my tv blew up.

Fuck?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #82 on: 16 Dec 2007, 20:53 »

I just finished it, and... eh. I suppose I had a good time with it, but there were so many irritating design elements that it sort of brought the game down for me. The beggars women and magical shoving lepers were incredibly annoying, and the control scheme just seemed needlessly complicated. Also, whenever you got the angle even slightly wrong when doing the free running stuff, you would just be stuck running up the same part of the wall half a dozen times because you're too close to the wall to adjust before the running animation starts again. And if they decided to make it so touching water is instant death, then why the fuck did they then set an assassination in the goddamn harbor where you had to jump from boat to boat and even slightly misjudging a move would mean you'd have to start over?

In short, I liked it overall but I've played several more games this year that I enjoyed vastly more.

I really loved this game and I'm now trying to go back over it and collect the flags and kill the templars. The beggar women and crazy lepers piss me off too but I think they are there to tempt you into killing innocent people. Which I have done. Many times. And as for the assassination in the ports? It's to make it more challenging. A lot of the earlier assassinations are pretty piss easy as long as you can get close, this one adds an extra element of "oh shit how the fuck do I do this?" So far this is my favourite game ever but I only have two complaints.
1) Everytime I fall to my death or die I instinctively pull the left trigger hoping to rewind with my dagger.
2) Replay value is getting irritating because you have to start each assassination memory from the very beginning. Which means sitting through the four hour cutscenes you can't skip.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #83 on: 17 Dec 2007, 00:24 »

Well, it's either you or the cold, slow hand of leprosy.

It's like you're doing them a favour!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up