THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 06:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sweeney Todd  (Read 34375 times)

Renfamous

Re: Sweeney Todd
« Reply #50 on: 03 Dec 2007, 23:19 »

To me this just seems to be another wave on the pop-culture phenomenon that has become Johnny Depp and Tim Burton worship.  It all seemed to start when this whole "faux-goth" (offshoot of emo) thing started to get big these last few years.
The Nightmare Before Christmas re-emmerged as a popular film because of this movement, and Tim Burton is seen as a dark, and therefore appealing, director to this specific demographic.
And of course, with Depp as Sparrow in PotC, his popularity soars because they are good movies, and he does give a good performance, but everything gets blown out of proportion because "OMG JOHNNY DEPP IS HAWT" and he played a "dark" character in Edward Scissorhands, which, surprise, surprise, has some new popularity and merchandise just like TNBC.

Corpse Bride was, I thought, the culmination of this trend, namely, a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie, made to ride this wave even more because it featured the same stop-motion claymation that TNBC did.

Sweeny Todd appears to just be a continuation of this.
Tim Burton + Johnny Depp + Dark/Disturbed Character = Whinny faux-goth teens flock to the theaters in droves and add said character to the pop-culture hall-of-fame although its really not that great of a movie.

I don't think I really articulated this great, but oh well.

By the way, I'm not saying Tim Burton and Jonny Depp aren't talented, nor am I saying I don't enjoy their work.  But, from what I've seen (Namely, those four years I spent in High School and all the time I spend online) they're way Overrated.
This thread doesn't help that imagine.

All that said, I didn't know Sweeny Todd was a play before a movie, and with that knowledge I know realize that this may actually have something going for it.  Maybe not, but maybe.
Plus I love Alan Rickman.
Going to see the movie?  Likely yes.

Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are both fantastic in their respective professions..I don't think they should stop collaborating because the emo kids have adopted Jack Skellington as their messiah.  I personally think Johnny Depp's greatest character was Raoul Duke in 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' which wasn't (as far as I know) a Tim Burton vehicle, but I still like what they've done together.  They're just buddies who like making movies with each other and can apparently make a killing doing so and selling the merch at Hot Topic...just because the goth kids like Edward Scissorhands doesn't make it a bad movie.

In this case it could just be people liking good movies because they're good and not because they're 'dark/disturbing/Tim Burton'.  I'll give you that the Corpse Bride wasn't a masterpiece, but it was still pretty cool and I bet Tim Burton enjoyed using the stop motion medium again.  Many of Johnny Depp's characters are angsty and 'dark' I suppose, but from what I've seen he's got a fantastic range and he never goes out of the way to try to be some big screen sex bomb...the 12-year-old girls just idolize Jack Sparrow in the same way the 15-year-old emos idolize Jack Skellington.

Personally I couldn't care less why anyone else likes or goes to a movie or how high they rank it in the pop-culture hall of fame..I'd rather just see it for myself.
Snape + Marla + Raoul? Yes plox.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #51 on: 07 Dec 2007, 22:56 »

From 5 reviews, Sweeney Todd's gotten a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. Encouraging.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #52 on: 08 Dec 2007, 16:31 »

I personally think Johnny Depp's greatest character was Raoul Duke in 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' which wasn't (as far as I know) a Tim Burton vehicle

That movie was directed by Terry Gilliam, who is another fantastic director.

And no offense, but if you don't like something just because Hot Topic mall rats idolize it, get over it. I still like Tom Burton's work even though I saw some mall-goth teen girl hug a Nightmare Before Christmas t-shirt while saying, "Tim Burton is a GOD."
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #53 on: 08 Dec 2007, 16:33 »

I don't care what anyone says, you can't have Sweeney Todd without the ballad of its namesake. I'll pass.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #54 on: 16 Dec 2007, 10:50 »

Considering a little over half of my play list is music from musicals. You know that I go and see every musical adaption film, not to mention every stage musical I can see(small town), not to mention auditioning for two musicals this week.

Also considering the fact, I fucking love Tim Burton as a designer, artist, and director, I am sooo excited. Personally I love Johnny Depp, however I agree with whoever said that the fangirl teenager ladies make me embarrassed to say I like his work.

Also, Sweeney Todd has one of my favorite scores, I've always wanted to see it on stage.

A couple musical buff friends and I are counting down the days.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #55 on: 16 Dec 2007, 12:36 »

I saw Sweeney Todd in Boston..the actual musical. It was absolutely mind-blowing, emotinoal and amazing, easily one of the best musicals I've ever seen, surpassed only by Les Miserables and Miss Saigon. But I refuse to see this movie. Todd is supposed to have a gruff, booming voice, he is supposed to be a somewhat larger man--not fat, but large, imposing. Johnny Depp is the exact opposite of all of that. Hearing him singing "Epiphany" in the trailer made me want to cut off my ears to stop the pain. The whole thing is bullshit, plain and simple.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #56 on: 16 Dec 2007, 14:43 »

It's unfair and a little silly to expect a movie and a stage adaption to be the same. They're supposed to be different, no director is going to make it the same(stage or film). I mean compare the LOTR Musical to the LOTR movie. Hell add on the book comparison and none of them are the same. Artists love to interpret things their own way.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #57 on: 16 Dec 2007, 16:30 »

I plan on seeing it sometime around Christmas, assuming my local theater will get the film. Then in February a nearby college will be doing the musical, so I also plan on going to see that so I can compare the two. I am so excited.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #58 on: 16 Dec 2007, 16:58 »

Personally I love Johnny Depp, however I agree with whoever said that the fangirl teenager ladies make me embarrassed to say I like his work.

Okay, I agree, but, I wonder if they've seen Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas or Donnie Brasco.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #59 on: 21 Dec 2007, 20:39 »

So.

Fucking.

GOOD!
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

BoutASouffle

« Reply #60 on: 21 Dec 2007, 22:13 »

Personally I love Johnny Depp, however I agree with whoever said that the fangirl teenager ladies make me embarrassed to say I like his work.

Okay, I agree, but, I wonder if they've seen Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas or Donnie Brasco.

I actually find my inner 14-year-old fangirl and my more prominent film geek persona at odds with each other. This led to me being strangely attracted to both Depp's performance in Fear and Loathing as well as his balding head... which has led to an even stranger attraction to all balding heads.

Anyway... back to Sweeney. I saw this flick at the midnight showing in Boston last night. I was definitely impressed. Depp's performance was reliably imaginative - like Burton he manages to achieve a high level of stylization without sacrificing genuine emotion. Carter's performance was great, especially towards the end, but I wish they had dubbed over her singing... I'm sorry, but it was distractingly boring (oxymoron?).

However, I think Alan Rickman, Sasha Baron Cohen, and that little kid who played Toby really stole the show. Rickman got me to actually sympathize with Turpin on some level, Cohen went from hilarious to terrifying in seconds flat, and the Toby kid (I'm too lazy for IMDB) made me want to get a little singing boy of my own.

Ignore the creepiness of that last statement. My roommate did. ("No, it would be like the puppy... Who is going to take care of it?")

StMonkey

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • *Comment of negligible importance*
« Reply #61 on: 21 Dec 2007, 22:55 »

I agree with the post above me. Depp may not be the big man usually cast in the plays, so he isn't as booming, but he still conveys the sense of joy that the jollier men show well. As for Carter, she admitted in an interview that she wasn't exactly the greatest singer, so I went in ready or her. She plays the character very well, though, even if she isn't the most brilliant. She too is a lot more soft spoken then I've heard, and so seems much sadder about everything, but it's understandable. Cohen plays his character very well, the Pirelli is a strange man, and comes across as so. For Alan Rickman and Ed Sanders(the boy who played Toby) I couldn't be happier. Brilliant all around, and I particularly like the cinematography at the beginning. A lot of cleavage shots I noticed, but in a time period of corsets, I suppose that's to be expected. The blood is plentiful, and much more theatrical than real, a nice touch I thought. Being a musical lover, I have to give this at least and 8.5 outta 10, if not a nice round 9.
Carpe Gluteum
The bottom line is, if anyone is going to start playing pranks by stuffing large quantities of food in their mouths, be wary.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #62 on: 21 Dec 2007, 23:29 »

I REALLY enjoyed this movie!

I just wish the songs didnt sound all the same though
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

jeef

« Reply #63 on: 22 Dec 2007, 07:15 »

I loved the music, however... Johanna's, Anthony's, and Toby's voices were really "meh" to me. Also, Toby's supposed to be a little bit older, unless that kid's hitting puberty early. XD All in all though, a very good movie IMO.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #64 on: 22 Dec 2007, 09:28 »

I saw this flick at the midnight showing in Boston last night.

It seems like you quite possibly just missed Rachel (pen) and I. We caught a showing at 7 at Boston Common.
JON MADE ME GAY

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #65 on: 22 Dec 2007, 12:38 »

I REALLY enjoyed this movie!

I just wish the songs didnt sound all the same though

It's a Sondheim musical.  It's expected.  I thought it was brilliant, although it could have done without the love story between the teens.  That was boring. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

StMonkey

« Reply #66 on: 22 Dec 2007, 14:06 »

But..but that's an important part of the story. That's nearly akin to saying 'I think Phantom of the Opera would've done better without that whiny Raoul dude.' She's Todd's daughter and if the boy didn't barge in at precisely the wrong moment, Todd would've killed Turpin before he decided he was gonna kill everyone.
Carpe Gluteum
The bottom line is, if anyone is going to start playing pranks by stuffing large quantities of food in their mouths, be wary.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #67 on: 22 Dec 2007, 16:40 »

I SO wish they had an epilogue. Its not really a complaint, I respect Tim Burton's decision. But still, that ending was WAY too abrupt.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #68 on: 22 Dec 2007, 18:34 »

I personally think Johnny Depp's greatest character was Raoul Duke in 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' which wasn't (as far as I know) a Tim Burton vehicle

That movie was directed by Terry Gilliam, who is another fantastic director.

And no offense, but if you don't like something just because Hot Topic mall rats idolize it, get over it. I still like Tom Burton's work even though I saw some mall-goth teen girl hug a Nightmare Before Christmas t-shirt while saying, "Tim Burton is a GOD."

I always wonder whether those children realise that Tim Burton designed the characters and funded the film but that's all. Rick Heinrichs directed it so I'm not sure that Burton deserves all the credit that he gets for that film.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

monkandmovies13

« Reply #69 on: 22 Dec 2007, 19:50 »

I just saw this today. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. Maybe I was just so excited and expecting to love it and set too high expectations. But I thought at some points it moved a bit slowly and it didn't leave me wondering anything in a way that wasn't annoying.

But I did like it. The acting was great, and I just love Tim Burton's visual style. Some of the musical numbers are awesome. My favorite was the one where they realize how they can make meat pies with the bodies, and they go through all the "flavors" (judge, poet, priest, etc).

The ending was weird. I'm not sure if it was sad or annoying.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #70 on: 22 Dec 2007, 21:00 »

Also, I never alleged to not like the music. I love the music and the style. Its just that it seemed to blend together, that none of the musical pieces really stood out (unlike Chicago whereas they made a grand spectacle out of everything.) But I guess it has a subtle meaning, something along the lines of,"Oh dont mind us! Just a couple of pie makers making pie out of dead bodies!" Or the musical numbers are trying to create some sort of effect like usual conversations that, at the end of the day, none stand out.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #71 on: 22 Dec 2007, 23:59 »

Anyone who found this movie to be subpar is quite clearly mentally infirm.  This was, without a doubt, the single best movie I have seen this year.  I say this with the strongest of alcohol-induced conviction.  I repeat - anyone who disagrees is obviously an asshole.

Thatwittygeek, your avatar offends me.  Make it go away. 
JON MADE ME GAY

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #72 on: 23 Dec 2007, 09:34 »

whats wrong with it?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #73 on: 23 Dec 2007, 14:56 »

I quite liked the movie. It had a good mood to it and was well acted. The characters were all a bit one dimensional and the singing was hit or miss for the most part but I enjoyed it. I went in thinking it was rated PG-13 for some reason so I was really surprised by the incredible bloodiness of it. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I just wasn't expecting it. Definitely not kid friendly, that's for sure. Is this only Burton's second R rated movie?
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #74 on: 23 Dec 2007, 15:30 »

Man, I am jealous of all of you. None of the theaters in my area will be getting this movie, so I have to wait for it to come out on DVD to watch it.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #75 on: 24 Dec 2007, 12:10 »

I SO wish they had an epilogue. Its not really a complaint, I respect Tim Burton's decision. But still, that ending was WAY too abrupt.

Agreed. It didn't feel quite over.

I saw it last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I had been prepared for Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter to sound terrible, so when they turned out better than that it was a pleasant surprise.  The music was good of course, because as a musical, if it hadn't been it would've been a fucking waste of time.  I could understand some complaints that is wasn't hammy enough but I think the overall tone of it was fine.  The visuals where enjoyable, although the intro was a little misleading; you get the impression it's going to be Willy Wonka with blood instead of chocolate, and then you get the movie instead.  Alan Rickman was phenomenal as ever, and that kid who played Toby was indeed, very good.  All told, about a 7.9/10

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #76 on: 24 Dec 2007, 17:24 »

whats wrong with it?

To put it frankly, it's creepy as hell and personally it gives me the jibblies.

Saw it Friday! It was awesome! I think my favorite scenes are the one where the two decide to chop people up for pies and where Carter's character is having the fantasy they'd move near the sea and eventually get married and Depp keeps the same grim expression throughout the entire song. Hilarious.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Felix_

« Reply #77 on: 25 Dec 2007, 19:58 »

This film receives a generous C -.

StMonkey

« Reply #78 on: 25 Dec 2007, 20:44 »

Not to sound negative, but on what grounds? As in, what about it didn't you like?
Carpe Gluteum

mooface

« Reply #79 on: 26 Dec 2007, 00:50 »

i am biased about this movie because
1.  i like johnny depp.
2.  i like musicals.
3.  i like tim burton.
4.  i like helen carter.
5.  i like alan rickman.
6.  i like sacha baron cohen.

even if this movie had been the shittiest shitty movie that had come out all year i would have gone and seen it solely for johnny depp.
honestly, i was expecting this adaptation of Sweeny Todd to be nothing much more than "meh".  i went because (1) i always enjoy johnny depp's acting and because (2 - 6) i was curious about everything else. i expected to enjoy the movie but only in the sense of  seeing "yay good acting and pretty music" and then promptly forgetting about it until it was released on dvd.
that being said... this movie exceeded far beyond my expectations.  i saw it the day before yesterday and i am going to see it again tomorrow.  i am the kind of person who rarely rewatches movies, even ones i've really enjoyed, because i get bored the second time around... but i can't wait to see this movie again tomorrow.  and this is not because of johnny depp, or tim burton, or musical fan-love... Sweeny Todd actually turned out to be a fabulously enjoyable film! 

captain zoe

« Reply #80 on: 26 Dec 2007, 20:16 »

I was incredibly impressed by this movie.  I have never seen the musical, but I know the music, so when I heard they had cut out songs like "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" and "Kiss Me", I was a little discouraged...but the movie really was awesome.  The thing that I have learned about watching movie musical adaptations is that they're never going to be the same thing, but they're still okay even if they're different.  (I'm a theater major, so musicals are huge for me and I love seeing them brought to film, even if they are different than their stage companions.)  But man, what a powerhouse.  I loved seeing Johnny Depp sing, though I thought he was incorporating a little too much Jack Sparrow into his speaking voice.  The ensemble as a whole was really good, and I thought the costuming was fantastic. 

My only complaint was that there was SO much blood!  Holy crap!  No holds barred here...

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #81 on: 27 Dec 2007, 08:31 »

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.
Hate, rain on me

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #82 on: 27 Dec 2007, 22:00 »

I was pretty disappointed by Depp. His singing voice was fair at best. I was not especially happy that they cut the Judge's rendition of "Johanna". I feel like everybody who wasn't Depp or Carter had their roles cut down to the bare bones: Anthony, Johanna and Judge Turpin seemed like completely empty characters, which sucked because I feel like he had the weakest voice in the cast.

That said, Helena Carter was a pleasant surprise. It was an interesting new take on Mrs. Lovett and the dynamic between her and Toby was nice. I approve of a younger child being cast and this Ed Sanders kid had an absolutely beautiful voice.

And because I think "Johanna" is one of the loveliest songs ever, I loved the film version.

Overall, okay. Probably won't watch it again, though.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #83 on: 28 Dec 2007, 00:39 »

This was, without a doubt, the single best movie I have seen this year.

Have you seen No Country For Old Men yet?

Why am I asking? Oh, no reason.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Felix_

« Reply #84 on: 28 Dec 2007, 01:33 »

Not to sound negative, but on what grounds? As in, what about it didn't you like?

I'm very bored with Tim Burton. He's just so incredibly predictable.

Same setting/ambiance in most of his films, same Depp (who basically sounded like Jack Sparrow trying to be a member of The Sisters of Mercy), same Carter (who is in far too many of his films), same pseudo gothic make-up (the picnic scene where they are out in the sun and on the beach in goth garb is a hoot...), same just...everything. I could probably forgive those things though if the film had been as engaging and fun as the theatrical version.

I wasn't impressed with the music in the film, and Depp's singing voice leaves a lot to be desired. I also agree that basically everyone in the film played second fiddle to Depp & Carter and that the supporting cast roles were basically cut to shreds and were minimal at best, thus making any character development at all outside of the two primary characters virtually nonexistent. Why do I care if Todd kills Turpin when we barely see anything from Turpin at all in the film outside of the foundational narrative at the beginning and him peeking through a hole in the wall once in awhile? This is really ashame, since I love Alan Rickman, but yet again, his talents aren't utilized on the silver screen. Suffice to say, the most interesting character of the entire film was Signor Adolfo Pirelli, performed by Sacha Baron Cohen, whose performance was humorous and well-acted. I really can't be bothered to get caught up in the "omg Tim Burton!!" craze. I really haven't thoroughly enjoyed any of his films whatsoever since, maybe...Ed Wood? I almost gave up on Burton after Planet of the Apes, but with Big Fish, I thought that there was hope.

Now, I'm not so sure. :\ Although he does have fairly predictable projects coming up in the future - Alice in Wonderland, The Spook's Apprentice. I can only hope that in neither of these films is even the slightest trace of Depp or, more importantly - Jack Sparrow.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #85 on: 28 Dec 2007, 09:22 »

I'm sure Depp will find his way into "Alice". Burton has become fairly predictable and somewhat stagnant in terms of originality but so have a lot of directors. Many films by directors like Scorsese and Wes Anderson have essentially made the same movie several times but they are no less enjoyable or engaging. Using the same actors never seemed like a downside to me and I'm not entirely sure how it could be. Sure the singing in "Todd" wasn't fantastic but that's no surprise and it's silly to walk into this movie expecting Broadway quality vocals. I do agree that the characters were very underdeveloped though. I found it hard to feel anything for any of them. The movie definitely has flaws and is nowhere near perfect (or anywhere near Burton's best work) but I still enjoyed it on the whole.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #86 on: 28 Dec 2007, 15:55 »

I felt for Carter's character though, but not really anyone else..

I like the whole fact of using the same actors over and over again. Its like a theater troupe.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #87 on: 02 Jan 2008, 08:08 »

I saw this last night and loved it. In terms of singing voices- I rather liked Depp's. Although it wasn't perfect, it was rather fitting for his character. I couldn't stand Johanna's voice, but that is more of my own personal preference than a comment on talent.

I was never a big fan of Tim Burton and never understood the fanaticism that followed him, but this movie shined some light on the reason. The humor and beauty within the dark and horrible, teamed up with clever and sometimes gorgeous songs- I am in love. The visual effects were perfect. Everything was dark and dingy, while the blood so bright and red...oh I loved it.

Also, I want all of the outfits that Mrs. Lovett wore.

captain zoe

« Reply #88 on: 02 Jan 2008, 08:54 »

I really think they should have left in "Kiss Me," because that sets up the whole subplot with Johanna and Anthony, essentially.  Instead we got this weird "love at first sight" thing, and when he takes her out of the asylum, I don't even think she knows his name.  It just didn't seem practically plausible, or maybe that was just me.  I dunno.  It would have given Johanna more than one song, though, and I think she had a gorgeous voice.  She should have been given more singing time. 

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #89 on: 02 Jan 2008, 09:06 »

i cannot wait to see this... my stupid city's movie theatre is not showing it until january 11. lame.

i've heard nothing but good reviews about it though... but really, how can you go wrong with johnny depp + alan rickman? the answer is you can't.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #90 on: 03 Jan 2008, 09:49 »

Captian Zoe (If that is a reference to Firefly, you = awesome), I agree that there should have been more scenes to make sense of Johanna and Anthony's love. I rather hate love-at-first-sight scenes in movies because it really relies only on looks and seems superficial and ridiculous.
I'm probably just thinking too much on it, but what really is the chance Anthony, who has seen the world and is quite intelligent, would have any interest in a psychologically screwed up young girl who has been locked in her room her entire life?  Ah well.

captain zoe

« Reply #91 on: 04 Jan 2008, 09:22 »

(It's not a reference to Firefly, but I think that show is awesome anyway!   :lol:)

Right.  The whole love-at-first-sight thing doesn't hold much sway with me, so when I see it in movies it kinda pisses me off.  Mostly because it doesn't happen like that in the real world.  Though I guess that is the charm and appeal of a movie, after all....

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #92 on: 04 Jan 2008, 12:05 »

I saw this last night.  I liked it a lot, more than I was expecting to.  I love musicals but I really wasn't sure that this would be a good movie for bursting randomly into song (even though I know that it is based on a Broadway musical)

Having never seen the actual musical, I can't comment on any changes that were made but I agree that the whole Love-at-first-sight thing was ridiculous.

mooface

« Reply #93 on: 04 Jan 2008, 13:27 »

i liked the love-at-first sight aspect to anthony's and joanna's relationship.  i thought it added an element of fairy tale innocence - knight sees fair maiden in tower, knight rescues maiden, they live happily ever after- to their love.  i thought that their naivite provided a nice contract between them and all the other characters (besides toby) who are all creepy and deranged in some way.

Paav

« Reply #94 on: 04 Jan 2008, 14:27 »

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. The voices were nothing spectacular but that doesn't matter in a movie, where the recordings can be played with to help the tone and volume. That being said Toby had a very nice voice and really showed it off in "No one will hurt you."

My favorite song was the meat pie song with social commentary broken down by how different professions would taste. That I think would be a fun discussion or maybe a thread, but I'll leave that to someone else since I'm a novice here.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #95 on: 04 Jan 2008, 14:38 »

Every time I see the title of this movie/musical, I start humming "Swanee River" to myself.

Now, I am stoked to see this moosical. I'm just trying to find someone to see it with me. The Man isn't "into musicals." *rolls eyes at him* Maybe I'll go by myself then!
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

StMonkey

« Reply #96 on: 05 Jan 2008, 23:15 »

Just let him know about the copious amount of blood, cannibalism, and Alan Rickman. Those should really be enough to get any guy to go. Also, MURDER and INTRIGUE!! All very interesting things.
Carpe Gluteum

PacoSees

« Reply #97 on: 06 Jan 2008, 05:39 »

Just let him know about the copious amount of blood, cannibalism, and Alan Rickman. Those should really be enough to get any guy to go. Also, MURDER and INTRIGUE!! All very interesting things.

He's right.  I wasn't planning on seeing it just because 100% of musicals that I have been subjected to made me want to maim someone nearby.

Now I get to watch maiming going on so it balances out.  Can't wait for the movie, now actually.

FUBAR

« Reply #98 on: 06 Jan 2008, 11:55 »

I was seriously impressed with this movie.  While the actors did not leave the kind of impression that players in a live show would, the direction and design really make up for it in a big way. 

I give it 9 out of ten Smiley Face emoticons.  I'm tempted to remove a smiley face for the omission of "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" though.
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

P.S.  Sacha Cohen a.k.a. Ali G was once again the perfect pompous Eurotrash asshole.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2008, 14:51 by FUBAR »

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #99 on: 06 Jan 2008, 19:52 »

It didn't have Neil Patrick Harris as Toby.  I am ashamed...
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up