THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 06:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.  (Read 197289 times)

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
Re: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.
« Reply #500 on: 09 Nov 2008, 17:23 »

Are we still supposed to use this thread about shows we've been to? Oh well, I'll use it anyway.

So last night I saw The Sea and Cake play at the Black Cat. It was a pretty rad show! They sounded wonderful and played their songs wonderfully. My only complaint is that they played for a good hour and a half, which I think is a bit too long for a band like The Sea and Cake. As good as they are, their songs sound too similar for them to play that long. Other than that though, they were awesome.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

CarrionMan

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • The RP Syndicate
« Reply #501 on: 09 Nov 2008, 19:07 »

I got to go to the Who: Maximum R&B. It was pretty awesome for them being so damn old. The opener was pretty well, and we also had some pretty kickass seats.
"I am accusing war. I am accusing man. I am accusing universal stupidity."

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #502 on: 12 Nov 2008, 11:46 »

I saw Lake the other night and they were really good.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #503 on: 23 Nov 2008, 05:52 »

Local(ish) shoooooooow last night.

Next President: My friend Noel fronts this band. They're pretty good, but as we were talking about on the ride home, Andy (the bass player) really needs to pick it up on stage. He kinda keeps to himself and it seems to detract from the overall show. They generally rocked, though.

Routine Homecoming: Started off slow and I guess droney? I think I texted someone and called them "folky slowcore drone". But they got better, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The New Collisions: Female-fronted kinda 80s-ish new wave/punk? Hell of energetic, hell of fun. You should go see them if they're in your town.

As I Lay Awake In Ruin: I think the shitty name says it all. Have you ever heard one of those horrendously generic emo-pop bands? Then you've heard As I Lay Away In Ruin. The ONE upside to their set was that they played a Reggie and the Full Effect cover ("Get Well Soon"). That and the girl selling their merch was kinda cute. YOU'RE NOT VERY GOOD, GUYS.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Garrett A.D

« Reply #504 on: 03 Dec 2008, 08:12 »

My giggage is mainly metal. Given most of my friends are.

Top gig goes to Stone Sour. Corey Taylor is masterful at crowd management and Jim Root's guitaring was as tight as ever.

I also saw Serj Tankian (the frontman from System of a Down) in his own solo project. Was a good night, Serj seems a lot happier doing his own thing than playing with System.

On a tangential note, I wants the top hat.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #505 on: 03 Dec 2008, 23:43 »

Maybe they weren't playing that well in my city, my friend went to the sideshow and was a bit disappointed by them as well, and he's really into them.

I saw them at the Sydney BDO, and thought they were absolutely amazing. Highlight of the whole festival, in my opinion. However, I'd never heard them before seeing them live (I sometimes hold off listening to albums when I know a band is touring, because I like to see them play live first if possible), so perhaps some people had some issues with the live performance versus the sound on  their albums?
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Nodaisho

« Reply #506 on: 04 Dec 2008, 01:41 »

TSO show tonight, it was actually the first big concert I have ever been to, but it was epic. There were a lot of older people there, as well as some families and some college-aged people. One guy in front of us must have thought it was actually an orchestra, he was covering his eyes and probably plugging his ears. At the beginning, they came down on these little platforms that had been hiding in one of the set pieces, at one point between songs, Angus Clark played part of Voodoo child, and then all of the band played the intro to Kashmir, you could barely hear the first bit of Kashmir because of the cheering. At the end, they did an all-out version of Sarajevo 12/24, all of their many lights and pyrotechnics going off, I was completely blown away. Very good showmen (and women), very glad I went.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #507 on: 04 Dec 2008, 05:05 »

Are they not touring with Alex Skolnik anymore?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
« Reply #508 on: 06 Dec 2008, 09:39 »

so, yesterday, I saw CYNIC, together with the Ocean.....and Opeth

it was incredible
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why

Nodaisho

« Reply #509 on: 06 Dec 2008, 22:50 »

Are they not touring with Alex Skolnik anymore?
From what I can tell, they are touring two groups at once. Jon Olivia wasn't there, Alex Skolknick wasn't there, the drummer was named Jeff Plate, Al Pitrelli and his wife were there, someone named John Lee did some vocals (lots of vocalists), don't remember any other names for certain. I do remember seeing that they had two shows scheduled for the third, I was thinking that was a scheduling error at first, but I think they might be in two groups, maybe to cover a large area in the christmas season.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #510 on: 07 Dec 2008, 00:34 »

I saw Big John Bates and the Voodoo Dollz. There's a quip on the main page of their website of some reviewer who likened it to like being in a John Waters film, and that is very very true. The Dollz lit their boobie tassels on fire and that is just awesome. And sCare-oline stands on her bass, which makes me nervous in a good way.

Oh hey they blogged about it here.

Now I have to decide if I want to go to Priestess tomorrow night. Shows end at 2AM here, and I have a job interview at 10AM. Also I'm kind of broke. HMM.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #511 on: 07 Dec 2008, 11:03 »

Saw God Is an Astronaut. Two words: aural sex.  :-D  Echoes sounds even more amazing live. They were in support of Fall of Troy, which were kind of meh for me (although the guitarist/vocalist is pretty nuts). God Is an Astronaut are definitely a band that deserves to headline a tour. 

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Fluxuation

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/andrew87part2
« Reply #513 on: 08 Dec 2008, 10:03 »

I saw of Montreal on saturday... Jesus Christ that was probably the best show I've ever been to. it was just insanely epic.  I am not one to dance, but I could not stop shaking my hips. dancers, costumes, props, etc.. it was just insane.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #514 on: 08 Dec 2008, 10:24 »

Kevin Barnes get his dick out?

Fluxuation

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/andrew87part2
« Reply #515 on: 08 Dec 2008, 10:41 »

nah he kept it in his pants, although he played about 3/4th the show in just very small underwear.

idonthaveorgans

• Not quite a lurker
    • twistedlittledreams
« Reply #516 on: 23 Dec 2008, 03:37 »

Muse were the first band I saw, around the time OoS was about to come out, was amazingness. Pity their last two albums have mostly sucked. I can't seem them becoming good again.

I think British Sea Power at the natural history museum was the last band I saw live. was really good...no wait it was Lightning Bolt at Release the Bats, I didn't stay for the other bands as I was feeling really ill that day.

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #517 on: 03 Jan 2009, 05:04 »

I noticed venues getting really fucking lazy with the music one guy played 15 minutes from the spinal tap soundtrack while the band were tuning up. They're also charging loads for drinks as well as tickets.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #518 on: 20 Jan 2009, 23:34 »

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds last night.

Good show.
Dickish crowd though.

sean

• welp
« Reply #519 on: 21 Jan 2009, 17:36 »

Oh hey this thread came back I have been meaning to post here.

Anyway, on Sam's recommendation, I went to go see Monument play in a church in DC last friday. They kind of do the whole midwest emo / cap'n jazz thing. Nice dirty and loud emo that you can sing along as you jump up and down to. They fucking rocked my socks off. I mean, in one song the dudes yell "Get Rad!" These guys are incredible if they ever play in a basement in your city you should check them out.

sean

• welp
« Reply #520 on: 25 Jan 2009, 20:29 »

Can we also call this gigs we have played and our thoughts thread?

Anyway, my band played its first gig on friday. It was a post rock set after like, 5 punk bands to kids who have never heard post-rock before. And they surprisingly liked it! I feel so validated. It was fuckin' rad!

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #521 on: 25 Jan 2009, 20:35 »

Good Night, Sweet Prince is pretty much a perfect name for a post-rock band.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #522 on: 25 Jan 2009, 20:41 »

Sean I must totally listen to your band...

But only after I talk about how FUCKING AWESOME The Cave Singers were. They're very indie-folkish and absolutely full of awesome jams. The guitarist used to be the bassist from Pretty Girls Make Graves and was super excellent and had the entire bar on fire and stuff and it was one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Holy dickfuck probably the best show I've seen in town.

sean

• welp
« Reply #523 on: 25 Jan 2009, 20:49 »

Dogg we have not recorded a thing yet! And we probably won't for another month, but I will tell all of you when we do.

because i care.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #524 on: 25 Jan 2009, 21:22 »

M83 on Saturday was outstanding. They played every song I hoped they would, and a few awesome surprises that I didn't really expect. Everything sounded just perfect, and the crowd was pretty good also; people got really into it. Honestly, it was probably they best show I've ever been to.

Zingoleb

« Reply #525 on: 25 Jan 2009, 22:09 »

Paleface. If you're around western New York, go to see Paleface. The single whitest Indians you will ever see.

JayJayD

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #526 on: 31 Jan 2009, 14:27 »

Gregor Samsa last night. Awesome! Hauntingly beautiful and athmospheric. Their records I have heard so far (55:12 and Rest) don't even come close, unfortunately.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #527 on: 31 Jan 2009, 14:34 »

Huh? They only play stuff from those records when they perform and from what I've seen of their shows, it's a pretty faithful conversion from album to a live setting.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #528 on: 31 Jan 2009, 14:49 »

I saw Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yetsin on Wednesday. Fantastic show, they're much better guitarists than the recordings would lead you to believe. I met their guitarist/singer/drummer at the merch table, nice guy. I'd recommend seeing them if you ever get a chance.

JayJayD

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #529 on: 31 Jan 2009, 15:02 »

I thought the songs on Rest were even more quiet and less energetic on the album than at the show. And I liked Nikki's singing much better live, it sounds somewhat thinner in the recordings.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #530 on: 02 Feb 2009, 21:19 »

Perth leg of the Big Day Out festival.

Saw TV On The Radio,My Morning Jacket and Neil Young and they all rocked ultimate.

eddie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #531 on: 28 Feb 2009, 05:38 »

This...

... was fucking amazing.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #532 on: 28 Feb 2009, 17:09 »

of Montreal last night.

I don't actually listen to them but it was a good show.
Nice open air venue near the river.

Thumbs up to the sound guy,probably the best sounding gig I've been to in awhile.

sean

• welp
« Reply #533 on: 28 Feb 2009, 21:09 »

Oh my god you guys i just got back from the finest punk show ever.

The first band I saw play is called Ante Up. They are an okay melodic hardcore band with a kid i know in it. They are a solid band and it is always nice to see them play. However, its a little depressing since they always get showed up at the shows they play. They arn't very good at energizing the crowd so there is no transfer of energy between the band and the crowd, which is an absolute must for punk bands. They put on a solid set, it just wasn't as good as the next to bands that played.

The next band was called Lonely are the Brave. I had no idea what to expect from this band. As they were tuning up though, I noticed they had a saxaphone and they kept on breaking out into funky shit, so I knew was to come. And then, once they started. Oh my god. The room fucking exploded, with bodies slamming together in the middle (it was too crowded to mosh mosh). They constantly alternate between a rappy shouting, soft singing, and out-right screaming. They were just incredible.  They played oud, carefully calculated (but not quite math-y) punk that verges on emo and even has slight hints of post-rock in it. The sheer power they wielded was incredible.

I would have thought the next band couldn't top them, but they were Age Sixteen, so I knew to expect something on the same level. Boy, was I wrong. They fucking tore the house apart and then set it on fire. That was probably the greatest punk set I have ever witnessed. They played fierly, passionate emo that went from clean to loud and melodic to straight up violent and crushing. If people exploded during Lonely are the Brave, I can't think of terms in the english language to describe how crazy the room was during this set. Fucking hell, it was powerful. There are few things like watching an emo band play a show.

Vorian

« Reply #534 on: 01 Mar 2009, 03:20 »

I went to a Lights/Lydia/Lovedrug/Copeland show late last year. It was in a reeeeeally small venue called the Clubhouse in Tempe, AZ

Venue was cramped and dirty but the sound was ok. Not perfect but not bad for such a small venue. No effects to speak of except a fog machine which was kind of irritating.

Lights was good, nothing special I guess.
Lydia was awesome. I hadn't heard them much till this point but they did amazing.
Lovedrug was phenomenal. I was pissed they only got 45 mins.
Copeland was pretty bad; they are kinda meh for me in general, but they were just awful live, not to mention all the copeland fans who apparently came just for them wouldn't stop smooshing my girlfriend and I into the stage. [we were located up front in the middle.] And they got a whole hour. Ew.

All in all an amazing show. I plan on seeing Lovedrug again whenever possible, and Lydia too.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2009, 03:23 by Vorian »

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #535 on: 03 Mar 2009, 12:45 »

What the fuck is up with kids playing a show and not even sticking around for the other bands?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

pulpfiction21

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pool Zombies
« Reply #536 on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:20 »

I went to a Lights/Lydia/Lovedrug/Copeland show late last year. It was in a reeeeeally small venue called the Clubhouse in Tempe, AZ

Venue was cramped and dirty but the sound was ok. Not perfect but not bad for such a small venue. No effects to speak of except a fog machine which was kind of irritating.

Lights was good, nothing special I guess.
Lydia was awesome. I hadn't heard them much till this point but they did amazing.
Lovedrug was phenomenal. I was pissed they only got 45 mins.
Copeland was pretty bad; they are kinda meh for me in general, but they were just awful live, not to mention all the copeland fans who apparently came just for them wouldn't stop smooshing my girlfriend and I into the stage. [we were located up front in the middle.] And they got a whole hour. Ew.

All in all an amazing show. I plan on seeing Lovedrug again whenever possible, and Lydia too.

I went to that this show but in San Antonio. Lydia was the main reason i meant, actually the only reason, i didnt even stay for lovedrug or copeland. Lights was hot as hell, but nothing too special.
Maybe I should eat my friend

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #537 on: 03 Mar 2009, 23:26 »

Retribution Gospel Choir.

Yes.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #538 on: 05 Mar 2009, 06:42 »

What the fuck is up with kids playing a show and not even sticking around for the other bands?

I guess it's better than leaving during a band's set. The last show I went to (was helping a friend's band load and unload their gear/selling merch), the crowd was great for the first three bands. The last group was some whiny pop-emo bullshit group. There were maybe 50/60 people there, half-way through their set it was down to 10.

(they were pretty terrible, to be honest)

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #539 on: 05 Mar 2009, 07:08 »

But imagine your a band that got a gig because the last band set up the whole gig. And loaned you equipment to play. And before 5 minutes after your set passes, you just snap shut your guitar case and leaves. Kids that's bad form. OR,
you whine until you get to be the "headliner" and then wait out the other two bands in a separate room in the bar from the bands and run up on stage with your shit before the 2nd band has even gotten their gear off. THEN you play a sucky set that is about 12 minutes long AND you don't bring one paying person to the show. Oh and you are the local band. I'm pretty sure it's in the Torah, Bible and Koran that you are a douchebag in either case.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #540 on: 10 Mar 2009, 06:38 »

went to see Off With Their Heads in Leamington Spa last night, it was a pretty immense gig - got to meet up with some people i met at the fest in florida last year (and haven't seen since, til last night) and their friends, got slightly drunk (for the first time in a few weeks), thoroughly enjoyed 2 out of the 3 support bands (which is a better ratio of awesome:crap than any other gig i've been to in a while), and to top it all off, Off With Their Heads played pretty much the perfect set - all my favourite songs, only a couple i didn't really know - and i got to be right at the front of the small, packed venue for their whole set.

wow, that's a hell of a run-on sentence, with bad grammar to boot...

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #541 on: 16 Mar 2009, 16:14 »

Saw Modest Mouse last night.  When I got there, a band called Japanese Motors were playing.  They were pretty cool, and played fun, kind of poppy rock.  After them, a band called Mimicking Birds came on.  They were a three piece intricate folky band, and the singing reminded me a bit of Jim James from My Morning Jacket.  They were probably very good, but were hard to hear over the chattery crowd.  I would not have put them on after Japanese Motors tho, IMO, they were too different.

Then, with about 45 minutes between Mimicking Birds & them (15-20 minutes of which they didn't need), Modest Mouse finally came on.  They are pretty damn great live, and they played all kinds of stuff from their whole catalog.  I had a decent view (about 20 feet from Isaac Brock) and apart from the occasional douchebag "hey my friend is up there" pushing thru the crowd, an all around good show.  Except I had to leave 30 minutes early  :|
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

sean

• welp
« Reply #542 on: 26 Mar 2009, 15:15 »

Okay so here is some concert reports from the past few days.

Monday night was basement punks @ the house of awesome times, in college park MD (by university of MD). The bands were The Fordists, Pansori, Osceola, and Suis La Lune (Lotus Fucker and Army of Kashyyyk probably played too but i left after suis.)

The Fordists are I guess kind of spazzy post-hardcore, kind of like Frodus. They were really fun and awesome and there is not much more to say about them. A very good band!

Pansori wasn't even on the bill, so I had no idea they were playing. There was also about an hour long gap betwee them and the Fordists, which sucked. But they also needed to set up four amps. Pansori is a lot like Envy, except from just going from quiet/post-rocky to post-rock paced hardcore, they go from queit/post-rocky to emo violence. They were insanely awesome. Plus they had a violin.

The next band, Osceola, is I guess just a straight emo band. Not to heavy, not to fast, but still some great stuff. I picked up a split by them since they were really the only band with merch. And they are playing again friday. And they played my favorite song by them first (Smile, its on their myspace, and its really a great track).

Then next was probably the main event of the night, Suis La Lune. These dudes are from Sweden and Monday night was the last night of their east coast tour. And my god, they tore up that basement. Before, nobody had really gone off since it was an older audience mostly (monday night duh) but people started going off during Suis. If you downloaded the Age Sixteen demo I posted a few weeks ago, Suis La Lune is somewhat like that, but with more jazzmasters. They are absolutely incredible and they played for probably over 40 minutes. It was amazing.

On Wednesday me and the kids drove down to Fredricksburg, VA to go see Romance of Young Tigers play. We drove down hoping to get there a little before the first band started but sadly even post-rock is affected by punk time. After being there an hour, the first act, this guy who goes by Gull, starts playing. Gull is a dude who plays drums, taps out mathy riffs on a tele, and sings reverberated vocals through a mic attached to a skeleton mask. And he does this all at the same time. It was one of the raddest things I have ever seen. If you ever get a chance to see this guy, I highly recommend it.

However, the rest of the night kind of went to shit. We needed to get the fuck outta Fredricksburg since its an hour away and since the show was on punk time we were only able to see 5 minutes of Romance of Young Tigers set. However, those five minutes were fucking stunning. Their music is so beautiful and live they are absolutely crushing. As we walked out of the house, they sounded so eerie. But it did suck so fucking much to leave as they played. I'll have to try extra hard to see them again.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #543 on: 26 Mar 2009, 15:23 »

Gull sounds fucking rad!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #544 on: 26 Mar 2009, 15:56 »

However, the rest of the night kind of went to shit. We needed to get the fuck outta Fredricksburg since its an hour away and since the show was on punk time we were only able to see 5 minutes of Romance of Young Tigers set. However, those five minutes were fucking stunning. Their music is so beautiful and live they are absolutely crushing. As we walked out of the house, they sounded so eerie. But it did suck so fucking much to leave as they played. I'll have to try extra hard to see them again.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Only 25pt because you only got to see 5 minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up