THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 10:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal anybody?  (Read 102125 times)

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
Re: Metal anybody?
« Reply #100 on: 05 Dec 2007, 00:46 »

Hrm. I used to be super into metal but I've hit a relative lull, the most metal things I've listened to in the past couple of months being Isis and Russian Circles. Challenge: name an album (just one) that's totally fucking awesome and I'm not likely to have heard before in order to reel me back in.

Dawnbringer- In Sickness And In Dreams.

seriously, why more people haven't jumped on these guys, i don't know.

Psychotic Waltz - A Social Grace

super-SUPER-totally fucking Awesome
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why

sanyo

« Reply #101 on: 05 Dec 2007, 08:58 »

Is it bad that I joined this forum just to post in this thread?

And then mostly to pimp Slechtvalk, whose most recent album is absolutely fantastic? I really wish they would play some shows in the US, but there's always Paganfest USA with their former label mates Eluveitie (celtic folk metal.)

Also for whoever mentioned Wolves in the Throne Room I just listened to Two Hunters last night and it was amazing. USBM is really coming into its own.

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
« Reply #102 on: 05 Dec 2007, 09:23 »

Nothing wrong with increasing the number of people who know something about metal on the board.    Slechtvalk is quite good if you like symph black, but they are maybe a little derivative.

Eluveitie, on the other hand, is completely original and ridiculously entertaining.  I'm so going to be at the Chicago stop of Pagan Fest.   I actually saw Eluveitie live a month ago at Ultima Ratio, and they slayed.  Besides having nearly perfected a great blend of celtic melodies played on violin, hurdy gurdy, flute, bagpipe, and mandora with mdm, they have great energy live and the crowd was completely into it.  They are also one of the first metal bands with acoustic instruments that I've heard play live well. Usually the violins and flutes  and what not get stuck way too far back in the mix. They also just signed to Nuclear Blast.

Speaking of Nuclear Blast, whoever said on the first page that Nuclear Blast sucks couldn't be more wrong. Sure, they are huge, but they have some killer bands.  I was lucky enough to go to the 20th anniversary celebration...Blind Guardian, Dimmu, Subway to sally, Edguy, and Kataklysm. To me, thats a mindblowing lineup.  I guess if you are exclusively into underground bands, Nuclear Blast is too commercial, but I just love all good metal.

sanyo

« Reply #103 on: 05 Dec 2007, 10:23 »

I'm only really a fan of At the Dawn of War, Slechtvalk's two previous albums were probably even more derivative and on top of that completely boring. I mean I'll listen to Falconry every once in a while as background music, but War that Plagues the Lands just puts me to sleep.

Eluveitie are seriously the best folk metal band I've ever heard. I'm glad to hear that they're great live, I'm really looking forward to the Worcester show. It's too bad I can't pronounce the lyrics otherwise I'd be singing along. Maybe just the first word of Uis Elveti.

Speaking of Demon Burger, I can't seem to... like them. Maybe it's just because I haven't listened to their earlier stuff, which is supposedly more kvlt. Or maybe because I heard their new single on the radio the other day and I just couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculously bad it was. I know it couldn't have been the clean vocals because they reminded me of Borknagar and Borknagar is awesome. Their music just seems like it's trying to be too complicated (by just being all over the place) and still stay within the mainstream realm at the same time.   :|

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #104 on: 05 Dec 2007, 10:56 »

They play demon burger on the radio?  There was only one song I really liked that they did, and now I can't remember the name of it.  I think it was before EDT, whatever it was.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

sanyo

« Reply #105 on: 07 Dec 2007, 09:59 »

They do if your local station has a designated "metal hour". (waaf.com)

kid_militia

« Reply #106 on: 12 Dec 2007, 13:04 »

some thoughts on metal…

Aghora (progressive cynic-esque metal with femal vocals)
Atheist (gods of technical florida death metal)
Cynic (best "death" metal band ever! very jazzy and beautiful)
Spiral Architect (unbelievably technical)
Twisted into form (like spiral architect)

I just started listening to all these bands within the last six months, so badass. yah, I'm nearly 20 years behind on some of those. I love Cynic, Spiral Architect, and Twisted into Form.

In terms of more generic metal stuff; anyone listen to Iced Earth? wtf, matt barlow is coming back and I was liking tim owens. I mean, I like both, and it may be for the better, but why the decision now? why did he leave in the first place?! (yes, to be a cop, whatever)

Also, Im going to see Amon Amarth this weekend, it should be awesome.

more random thoughts:
Anyone here listen to Manticora? specifically the Black Circus albums; I love it!
The Russell Allen/ Jørn Lande albums make me want to play D&D or smile and run through grassy fields or something.
speaking of Edguy, I missed them when they came to seattle because I was visiting family in Germany; whats the fucking luck?
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2007, 13:05 by kid_militia »

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #107 on: 12 Dec 2007, 14:24 »

Oh man, that Allen/Lande album I have is so goddamned horrible. I'm a huge Russel Allen fan but even I couldn't get behind that it. It was too cheesy.

Too cheesy for me to enjoy Russel Allens singing

Meditate on that for a minute.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

kid_militia

« Reply #108 on: 12 Dec 2007, 16:20 »

between the two albums, they are the soundtrack of lord cheesiness vol 1 & 2, I agree. but, i still like the singing enough that i have a couple of the songs. My Own Way Home, Another Battle, and the Revenge are songs I thought were bearable. then again, i have a high tolerance i think.

speaking of soundtrack, I was putting together a dreamlist of songs that would be in a roadwarrior heavy metal'ed videogame that i wish would materialize from my mind.

so far, in no track order

Riders - OUTWORLD
Steel Lord on Wheels - Hibria
Running Riot - Iron Saviour
Steel Tormentor - Helloween
Children of Steel - Edguy
Legion Immortal - Jag Panzer

dr.sangaygupta

« Reply #109 on: 12 Dec 2007, 21:35 »

metallica
im so sorry to blow this for you, but that was the best one-worded trolling ive ever seen.
i applaude you, good sir.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #110 on: 12 Dec 2007, 23:29 »

Riders - OUTWORLD
Steel Lord on Wheels - Hibria
Running Riot - Iron Saviour
Steel Tormentor - Helloween
Children of Steel - Edguy
Legion Immortal - Jag Panzer

Not only are you marking your track up backwards, but you're missing out the most obvious entry:

Judas Priest - Painkiller. The whole album.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #111 on: 12 Dec 2007, 23:50 »

Whenever a metal thread goes on long enough, I plug these guys just for the hell of it. Of what they have on the player, Crushing Reality is the best, I think.

www.myspace.com/fromexile
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

ChristKnows

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #112 on: 13 Dec 2007, 00:09 »

I've lost the ability to listen to anything besides Arch Enemy, maybe that means my brain is broken and I need psychiatric help but I'm happy with the way I am  :laugh:
LOOK AT ME PAY ATTENTION TO ME OMG LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
The metal lists in this thread are lacking
« Reply #113 on: 13 Dec 2007, 00:49 »

And I decided to register just because of this thread

But first: Amon Amarth are amazing.  Dont believe me, watch Wrath of the Norsemen DVD, I challenge you to find ANY OTHER death metal band that can put on a 2.5+ hour long concert.  Do it.. I dare you.
Second:  Whomever said Nuclear Blast sucks... sucks.

Anyway, on with the list of stuff to listen to, why?  Because I said so. (oh, and unless I specify albums / eras, anything they have put to CD/Tape/w/e is good enough)

Absu
The Abyss (Yet another Tagtgren side project)
Agathodaimon
Alkonost
All Out War
Amon Amarth (of course)
Amorphis
Apocalyptica (especially since they have moved past their "cover band with cellos" route on to composing)
Arch Enemy
Arkona (the russian one, not the polish one, I havent listened to the polish band yet)
Astrofaes
At The Gates
Behemoth
Beneath The Massacre
Between the Buried and Me
Bile (the band from Holland, not the industrial thing from NY)
Black Dahlia Murder
Black Label Society
Blind Guardian
Blood Has Been Shed
Bloodbath  ----------------- (who are a EUROPEAN DEATH METAL SUPER GROUP, just FYI)
Bolt Thrower
Borknagar ------------------- (although I did prefer Vortex on vocals, I do like everything)
Caedere
Cephalic Carnage ---------------- (amazingly nice guys, plus, no concert is ever the same)
Children of Bodom
Cthonic -----------------------(AMAZINGLY talented black metal out of Taiwan)
Clutch --------------------(not technically metal, but I dont care, still amazing.)
Crematory
Cryptopsy  --------------- (RESPECT THE FLO... DO IT.)
Death --------------- (RIP Chuck)
Demons & Wizards ---------------- (Because even Power Metal needs its super group)
Destruction ----------------- (One of the big three Euro thrash)
DevilDriver ---------------(Never were "Nu-metal" never will be "nu-metal" and will always bring a good pit)
Dimmu Borgir ---------------- (waah waah, they are over-produced they arent black metal.... stfu and die.)
Down
Drudkh
Dying Fetus
Emperor
Eyehategod
Falkenbach
Fear Factory
Finntroll ------------- (Are amazing... stfu)
Folkearth
Fortid
Gardenian
Gojira --------------- (equal parts amazing and awsome)
Gorgoroth
GWAR
Helheim
High On Fire
Hypocrisy
Immortal
In Extremo ------------- (I prefer their older stuff, such as Verehrt and earlier, but its all good)
In Flames
Kataplexia
Katatonia
Kilgore
Kovenant (formerly known as Covenant)
Kreator ------------ (one of the other big three of euro-thrash)
Krisiun
Lacuna Coil ------------ (will always be better than their crappy american knock offs Evanesence)
Lamb of God
Leave's Eyes
Machine Head
Månegarm
Marduk
Mastadon
Mayhem ----------------- (again, I prefer the older stuff, De Mysteriis and Live in Leipzig, but its all decent)
Meshuggah
The Midget Who Stole God's Map of the Universe
Moonshine
Moonspell
Motörhead
Mudvayne ------------- (LD50 was amazing, everything else, not so much)
Nailbomb
Nile
Old Man's Child
Opeth
Pain ------------- (yet another Tagtgren side project)
Pig Destroyer
Pro-Pain
Rammstein ------------------ (I still like them, I could care less what you think, Rosenrot was a good album)
S.O.D.
Samael
Satyricon
Sentenced
Sepultura --------------- (I prefer the stuff when Max was still the singer)
Sig:ar:tyr
Sinergy
Six Feet Under
Sodom --------------- (the third of the "big three" of euro thrash)
Soilent Green
Soilwork ------------------- (Incredibly hit & miss with their albums, most of their albums, IMO, have sucked, but they occasionally hit the mark with a good song or three, and live, they are amazing)
Soulfly ------------- (now that theyve found their niche)
Stahlhammer
Static-X ----------------- (no, my name doesnt come from this band, but honestly, most of the stuff since "Machine" has been sub-par, IMO)
The Sword
Sword of Darkness
System of a Down ----------------- (the fact that probably 90% of the people who do, have, or will listen to their music, dont understand the message they are trying to convey is awsome)
!.T.O.O.H.!.
Theatre of Tragedy ------------------ (Honestly, I hate everything from Musique onward, but thats me)
Therion ---------------- (because opera + metal is weird... but it works)
Thrudvangar
Tiamat
Type O Negative
Týr -------------------- (and honestly, they DO take themselves seriously, and the subject matter of their songs seriously, Im sorry whomever it was that thinks they are cheesy never bothered to listen to the lyrics)
Vader
Venom
Walhalla --------------- (because having a euro death metal super group and a power metal super group wasnt enough, gotta have the viking metal super group too)
Woden
Yellow Machine Gun
3 Inches of Blood

Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #114 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:17 »

PIG DESTROYAAAAAH

sorry guys, that wasn't completely metal of me.

(listen to Phantom Limb NOW)
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #115 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:55 »

I'm debating whether the better reply is:

"lol Clutch"

or

"Clutch is a really good band"

Both I guess.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

pinkpiche

« Reply #116 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:19 »

btw Soulfly?

Nuh-uh!

Statik

• Furry furrier
« Reply #117 on: 13 Dec 2007, 07:54 »

A: Whats wrong with Soulfly, sure the early stuff is kinda meh nu-metalish, but theyve always put on a good show, even though Max is a dick

B: Clutch is a fantastic band... The only reason I threw them into the list is because, for a stoner-blues-punk-metal-rock band, theyve toured with an impressive variety of bands.
Even just on the metal side:
The Sword
High on Fire
GWAR
Cattle Decapitation
Mastadon
Stuck Mojo
Slayer
Pantera

and shared the stage with the likes of:
DevilDriver
Ozzy
Biohazard
Fear Factory

I think they get enough metal cred touring and playing with a list like that.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 15:52 by Statik »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #118 on: 13 Dec 2007, 19:12 »

They are a great band. But there is something inherently funny about Neil Fallon.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Statik

• Furry furrier
« Reply #119 on: 13 Dec 2007, 21:32 »

They are a great band. But there is something inherently awsome about Neil Fallon.

Fixed.

costacide

« Reply #120 on: 17 Dec 2007, 08:49 »

I have never felt more un-metal than right now.  Mostly because I realize all the metal bands I listen to mostly sound like hardcore bands;

Disfear
Tragedy
Coliseum
From Ashes Rise
Doomriders
Pig Destroyer

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #121 on: 17 Dec 2007, 09:40 »

Um, that's because they are hardcore bands. Well, all except Doomriders. Nothing wrong with that though, this board could really use more people who appreciate the 'core and those are some tasty picks. Tragedy were an amazing band, no His Hero Is Gone of course but what could be? And as for Pig Destroyer, those guys have released some raging grind in their time. Little bit disappointing live though, they got blown off the stage by Halo and Narcosis on the Grind Over The UK tour.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

pinkpiche

« Reply #122 on: 17 Dec 2007, 10:08 »

His Hero Is Gone blasts my balls off on a daily basis

costacide

« Reply #123 on: 17 Dec 2007, 10:28 »

Shit...totally blanked out on HHIG. 

I always considered bands like F_A_R and Tragedy more D-Beat metal than hardcore punk...they definitely come from that background but also take alot from Japanese/European metal bands.

But then again, what do I know...I actually spent like 5 months thinking Iced Earth were any good.

pinkpiche

« Reply #124 on: 17 Dec 2007, 10:34 »

Naah Tragedy is definitely hardcore, but they are heavily influenced by crust and sludge, like most modern hardcore bands are.

dr.sangaygupta

« Reply #125 on: 17 Dec 2007, 11:41 »

How 'bout Ed Gein, the Harlots, the Vulcans (which disbanded unfortunetly, Haste the Day (alittle more scremo than metal, but whatever)?

pinkpiche

« Reply #126 on: 17 Dec 2007, 12:08 »

Weeeell Ed Gein is powerviolence.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #127 on: 17 Dec 2007, 13:58 »

I can only offer a big +1 to Gojira!

They are bar none one of the heaviest bands ever, IMO. Plus they are absolutely peerless live.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: The metal lists in this thread are lacking
« Reply #128 on: 17 Dec 2007, 16:41 »

In Extremo

my new goal in life is to see a band called 'In Extremo'
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #129 on: 17 Dec 2007, 16:47 »

Nah, Ed Gein are grind of the technical variety, but still not metal. Powerviolence has that more bass heavy sound like Man Is The Bastard. Doesn't really matter though, they're totally ace whatever you call them. If it wasn't for Narcosis destroying everybody with Romance then Judas Goats And Dieseleaters would have been the grind album of the year. Not that it really had much competition, but still, it was a corker.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #130 on: 17 Dec 2007, 17:10 »

I've seen In Extremo live. They were alright. Wacken 06, I think.

Also, guys, this thread is supposed to be about metal. Metal is stuff like this or this or maybe this or this or this or sometimes this or this or this or perhaps this or maybe this or this, and not whatever -core crap you guys are talking about.

I have completely lost track of what videos I have actually posted there. I'm sure they are all ridiculous though. All metal vids are ridiculous. And if you ever laugh at them then you DON'T GET IT.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #131 on: 17 Dec 2007, 17:21 »

In that case, can we talk about how totally sweet Infinited Hate are? Listen to Demoniacal Sepulture, it's pretty banging. I need more death metal that sounds like this and Origin in my life, nice and intense and none of that slam rubbish with the bree vocals (I'm sorry, but I really hate any band with those vocals, it just sounds utterly stupid and not even funny to my ears).

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #132 on: 17 Dec 2007, 17:24 »

Bree vocals? What...pig squeals?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #133 on: 17 Dec 2007, 17:26 »

Yeah, them's the ones. I don't mind their judicious use in a little grind but if pretty much all the vocals are like that it bores me to tears. See Waking The Cadaver for a deeply hideous example of this practice.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #134 on: 17 Dec 2007, 19:48 »

So I guess you're not a black metal fan then? More's the pity.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #135 on: 17 Dec 2007, 20:28 »

Yeah, them's the ones. I don't mind their judicious use in a little grind but if pretty much all the vocals are like that it bores me to tears. See Waking The Cadaver for a deeply hideous example of this practice.

I have a friend who's terribly into that whole Deathcore thing. Job For a Cowboy and so forth. I really can't tell the difference between most of the bands he listen to tbh.

Benighted

« Reply #136 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:46 »

I kind of joined this forum just for this thread. Is that weird?

Anyways, this thread seems to really be lacking in:
BENIGHTED
BENEDICTION
ACID BATH
AHAB
ARK STORM
BOLT THROWER
BEHOLD...THE ARCTOPUS
CANDLEMASS
CELTIC FROST
DEAMON
DEATHSPELL OMEGA
ELECTRIC WIZARD
ENTOMBED
GLORIOR BELLI
GOATWHORE
IMMORTAL
KREATOR
LORD GORE
MERCYFUL FATE
MOONSORROW
MYRKGRAV
NEVERMORE
NOCTURNUS
SAINT VITUS
VENOM
WHITECHAPEL
WEEDEATER
WINTERSUN
and finally, 3 INCHES OF BLOOD.

Now, some inflammatory comments:
1. Immortal is better than your favorite band.
2. Whenever Wintersun decides to release "Time," it will be the best record of the year. Unless Immortal puts something out.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #137 on: 17 Dec 2007, 22:34 »

I posted a video to at least one of those bands just now.

I enjoyed Immortal live.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #138 on: 18 Dec 2007, 04:13 »

So I guess you're not a black metal fan then? More's the pity.

Black metal generally uses screams, not squeals. I can't actually think of any squealing in BM at all off the top of my head although I'm sure somebody will have used it. People like Darkthrone, Niroth, Wodensthrone and Blut Aus Nord don't bother with it anyway and that's the kind of BM I'm bothered about.

I really don't get these massive lists of bands. Yes, Kreator are great and everything but just naming artists who're quite diverse with absolutely no explanation is completely pointless. Pick a few and actually go into detail.

Statik

• Furry furrier
« Reply #139 on: 18 Dec 2007, 05:52 »

In Extremo

my new goal in life is to see a band called 'In Extremo'

crappy sound quality (but then, so is most live stuff on youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5srmVbXYeo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQRkVMC_92c

if you like them, you may end up liking Arkona (the russian band, not the polish one)

I found JobForCowboy to be rather bland when I saw them with Behemoth and Gojira, but then, I was also loading out Gojira and Beneath The Massacre during 75% of their set, so eh.

and sorry, as much as I like Gojira, heaviest band in the world is taken by "The Berzerker"  youtube flv shit, and mp3s cannot convey their music well at all.

pinkpiche

« Reply #140 on: 18 Dec 2007, 06:25 »

Nah, Ed Gein are grind of the technical variety, but still not metal. Powerviolence has that more bass heavy sound like Man Is The Bastard. Doesn't really matter though, they're totally ace whatever you call them. If it wasn't for Narcosis destroying everybody with Romance then Judas Goats And Dieseleaters would have been the grind album of the year. Not that it really had much competition, but still, it was a corker.

I think most of the tracks off of It's a shame... is pretty bassy, but you might be right. Grind Finale was pretty good too.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #141 on: 18 Dec 2007, 06:30 »

I dunno what the heaviest band in the world is, but I'm pretty sure it ain't the Berzerker. Not sure I'd even recommend them that highly either. I mean, the thing about the Berzerker is that they're a one trick pony.

"Oh Berzerker, you got a drummer who can drum really fast! Awesome! And you got a drum machine too! So now you can have really really fast drums! What's this? Oh, a song with really really fast drums? Clever Berzerker! And...another one? Oh no, now the drummer fucked off so you just have the drum machine."

Apart from the drums they're pretty much straight Carcass worship, and as far as Carcass worship goes I think I'd plump for Cattle Decapitation - To Serve Man. Just that Cattle Decapitation album mind you...I don't really rate their other material, but they just did something right on that album. There's just such a feel of misanthropy to it. All in the riffs. The main problem with the Berzerker is they very rarely produce the riffs to back up their drum barrage, though they do have a few very good tracks. No One Wins and Disregard, for example. But it ain't HEAVY as such. It's fast, its pounding, but there's not enough oomph there, not enough groove, if you see what I mean.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #142 on: 25 Dec 2007, 20:34 »

Huh.

Well, If I have to establish my metal indie cred I can only name such mainstream bands as Nile, Opeth and Arch Enemy.  The most obscure metal bands I've seen live have been local and soon broken up.

I thought that the metal-savvy forum of an indie webcomic would have mentioned Weakling before.  Pretty sweet--the best pointlessly pity description of them I could come up with is that if Agalloch's new album sounds like Sigur Ros started a black metal band, then Weakling's only album, Dead as Dreams sounds like...I dunno.  Darkthrone started a Post Rock band (in song structure, though not in production or instrumentation or...anything else).
http://www.tumult.net/catalog/weakling.html
I think the CD is still in print, but the LP sells for $150+ on ebay.  They are related to The Fucking Champs, apparently.

Also, Esoteric are a darned good doom band.  If you like atonal psychedelia.  Not as depressing as some doom bands--I actually find some of their tracks weirdly inspiring.  But I don't mind screaming.
http://www.esotericuk.net/

I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #143 on: 25 Dec 2007, 20:49 »

I guess someone has mentioned Blind Guardian by now, but I have to second it because they're the kings of unprogressive power metal. And Hansi is the sexiest man alive.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #144 on: 26 Dec 2007, 11:41 »

I am so glad to have not seen anyone shit Type O Negative on this thread (or as they are more popularly known, the band with their guitars so heavily downtuned they might as well not have strings). I am proud of you fuckers for that.

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
« Reply #145 on: 26 Dec 2007, 18:05 »

I guess someone has mentioned Blind Guardian by now, but I have to second it because they're the kings of unprogressive power metal. And Hansi is the sexiest man alive.
I mentioned that I saw them headlining the Nuclear Blast 20th anniversary show in Stuttgart back in October...but I don't think I mentioned how mind blowing and inspiring it was.  I'm self aware enough to realize Blind Guardian is a little over the top, but that didn't stop me from singing along to every single word.  You have not lived until you've sung along to Hansi with several thousand German metalheads.   Also I bought a ridiculously great Guardian tshirt with a dragon and "Final Showdown, Stuttgart Oct. 27"

P.S.  Type O can be fun occasionally, but don't even start thinking their downtuning makes them special.  There, I was nice and civil, wasn't I?

dalconnsuch

« Reply #146 on: 27 Dec 2007, 00:48 »

i'm actually lookin for some "epic metal"

i don't like using questionable content's webcomic as a reference but in this one fictional band that was like super epic using tolkein references and stuff and i'm lookin for some metal like that, anyone know of any?

turtlspinr

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #147 on: 27 Dec 2007, 00:51 »

listen to Tyr, from the Faroe Islands. Specifically the "Eric The Red" record.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #148 on: 27 Dec 2007, 02:15 »

i'm actually lookin for some "epic metal"

i don't like using questionable content's webcomic as a reference but in this one fictional band that was like super epic using tolkein references and stuff and i'm lookin for some metal like that, anyone know of any?

Nightfall In Middle Earth (album) by Blind Guardian. That is EXACTLY what you want.

Fsgdjv

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #149 on: 27 Dec 2007, 03:08 »

Bloodbath  ----------------- (who are a EUROPEAN DEATH METAL SUPER GROUP, just FYI)

Yeah, I mean.. Just because all the members ever has been from sweden, that doesn't make them a swedish band, no they're european. Makes sense to me!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up