THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 10:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal anybody?  (Read 102126 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Re: Metal anybody?
« Reply #50 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:40 »

I'm still not encountering anyone else who's seen Sabbat, so I find my aloofness justified.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Felix_

« Reply #51 on: 21 Nov 2007, 10:28 »

While I love your Sabbat, I think I might prefer the Japanese version.  :-D

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
« Reply #52 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:38 »

Wacken is insane for reunion gigs, and is pretty much an obligatory stop on any reunion tour.

This is why I have seen Sabbat, Immortal, Atheist and Emperor live, but you guys haven't.

well...I've seen Atheist and Emperor...and CYNIC

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

and Ephel Duath

twice
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2007, 12:51 by Der Turm, der Leute frass »
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #53 on: 21 Nov 2007, 13:28 »

YOU ALL SUCK DICKS.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #54 on: 21 Nov 2007, 16:12 »

I've seen Ephel Duath as well.

But they were supporting Poison the Well and the Dillinger Escape Plan, so there was shit on the gold, you might say.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #55 on: 25 Nov 2007, 00:11 »

I saw Isis earlier this year, and I handed Aaron Turner his bottle of water, that's how small the venue was.

Having established minimal metal cred, check out From Exile. They're an unsigned melodic death band from atlanta that I have been plugging for a while.

myspace.com/fromexile
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #56 on: 25 Nov 2007, 00:37 »

if you want an obscure band that is absolutely amazing, check out Dawnbringer.

They're on Battle Kommand records, their newest record, In Sickness And In Dreams, is ace.

THIS.

Demonic_Duck

« Reply #57 on: 25 Nov 2007, 14:33 »

YOU ALL SUCK DICKS.
Never heard of them before. They any good?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #58 on: 25 Nov 2007, 18:45 »

KICK A MAN WHILE HE'S DOWN, WHY DON'T YOU
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #59 on: 26 Nov 2007, 01:33 »

KICK A MAN WHILE HE'S DOWN, WHY DON'T YOU

I saw Meshuggah, three days after Cynic

and Porcupine Tree, twice

aaand Necrophagist ( + Misery Index)

not to forget about Immolation, Dying Fetus, Severe Torture, Avulsed etc.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #60 on: 26 Nov 2007, 06:47 »

STOP GUYS, I'M PUKING BLOOD NOW, I DON'T THINK THAT'S SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN...

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #61 on: 26 Nov 2007, 06:57 »

You broke Dimmukane. Good fuckin' going.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #62 on: 26 Nov 2007, 07:20 »

I feel like makin' an ass of myself so I'll mention one band, and leave for the moment.

Deathklok.

I'm not sure if I should be pissed that a "band" that's more or less a joke meant to poke fun at metal released a damn good metal album.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Dax

« Reply #63 on: 26 Nov 2007, 09:47 »

Anyone for DragonForce - so fast that it sounds like dance when you 1st hear it?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #64 on: 26 Nov 2007, 09:49 »

I WILL COME BACK TO LIFE TO KICK YOUR ASS

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #65 on: 26 Nov 2007, 13:24 »

i saw Children of Bodom for free before they started sucking and released that really wack album (i forget what it's called).

also, i saw Cradle of Filth and 3 Inches of Blood for free as well. seems like the only metal shows i go to are free ones.

i've also seen Dragonforce but i don't know if i consider them that metal....more like....unicorn-fairy-on-speed-with-noises. i'm not super into their music, but they are fun guys to drink with (at least Sam and Vadim, anyway).
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

mediumrare

• Emoticontraindication
  • buhh
« Reply #66 on: 26 Nov 2007, 16:06 »

I'm not sure if I should be pissed that a "band" that's more or less a joke meant to poke fun at metal released a damn good metal album.

To be honest I think it's the metal bands who have been getting away with releasing anything that sounds like that that should be pissed off: pissed off at their complacent selves for thinking that sort of stagnation is acceptable.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #67 on: 26 Nov 2007, 16:33 »

Instead of listing the bands I like, I say I like symphonic metal. Not much for most death metal etc, but do liek classy moosic with heavy moosic.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #68 on: 26 Nov 2007, 19:44 »

***shamble shamble***    CHOMP  ***shamble shamble***

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #69 on: 26 Nov 2007, 19:53 »

I'd really like to see Meshuggah live someday.

Or more good metal bands at all, really. Trouble is they're almost always on these huge-ass bills with like eleven other bands, all of whom suck. I don't want to sit through fuckin' Killswitch Engage and Shitty Local Hardcore Band #53520842 to hear Mastodon, thanks.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Alexia

« Reply #70 on: 26 Nov 2007, 19:55 »

You should check out Ayreon as well. I believe that Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth does some guest work in one of the albums.
Also, if you haven't checked out Isis yet, do it up ^.^;

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #71 on: 26 Nov 2007, 20:17 »

Dogg I am pretty sure Aaron from Isis reads QC. He mentioned it in a blog post a couple years back.  :-D
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #72 on: 26 Nov 2007, 20:22 »

Yeah, the november 2005 archive, at the very top of the page.  Jeph is famouz.

Ozzman

• Not quite a lurker
    • My Myspace
« Reply #73 on: 27 Nov 2007, 09:57 »

I've got a thing for a band called Daath.  I'm not exactly sure what they're considered..I've heard cutting-edge black, technical death, and just plain black or death in reference to them.

Anyway, I like them a lot and figured they deserved a mention.  (although at the time of this post, they're looking for a new vocalist)

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #74 on: 28 Nov 2007, 09:05 »

Or more good metal bands at all, really. Trouble is they're almost always on these huge-ass bills with like eleven other bands, all of whom suck. I don't want to sit through fuckin' Killswitch Engage and Shitty Local Hardcore Band #53520842 to hear Mastodon, thanks.

I hear that, metal is plagued by so many shit bands.  I think a fair number of concert promoters hear the word and think a) loud and/or b) screaming so you see a lot of shit openers.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #75 on: 28 Nov 2007, 10:04 »

I've seen Meshuggah live twice, the most notable gig being the latter, which was right after the release of Catch 33. It was really, really awesome.
I've also seen Mastodon twice, both times at roskilde festivals 05 and 07.
05 was the best show, but 07 was still amazing.

Immolation are also fantastic live, and super-nice dudes as well.

Ozzman

• Not quite a lurker
    • My Myspace
« Reply #76 on: 29 Nov 2007, 05:44 »

Mastodon is a good group.  I saw them live and started listening to them because I was pretty impressed.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #77 on: 29 Nov 2007, 12:32 »

i saw Children of Bodom for free before they started sucking and released that really wack album (i forget what it's called).

also, i saw Cradle of Filth and 3 Inches of Blood for free as well. seems like the only metal shows i go to are free ones.

i've also seen Dragonforce but i don't know if i consider them that metal....more like....unicorn-fairy-on-speed-with-noises. i'm not super into their music, but they are fun guys to drink with (at least Sam and Vadim, anyway).

One of my friends got to drink with 3 Inches of Blood a while back.  He still brags about it and I don't expect him to stop anytime soon.  Apparently they're a riot. 

Anyone listened to Melechesh? 

Bishop138

• Plantmonster
  • Suave....
« Reply #78 on: 29 Nov 2007, 16:16 »

I'm gonna have to say that Mastodon are actually my favourite band.

I've seen them live once, when they were supporting Slayer, I went to that damn expensive gig just to see them.

Thing is, due to "overwhelming demand" (ie. the gig sold out before the first day was through) it got moved to another venue and it became all ages and such. Bad part, the venue they moved it to is a pile of shit, it's practically just a tin shed. It was irritating also with the all ages crowd who don't know how to get a good mosh going, one that looks out for everyone and the such, no they all wanted to jump up and down on the same fucking spot, who cares who they hit with their elbows, even if it were chicks. Pissed me off, and the sound quality wasn't great, but I still loved being able to see them in the flesh doing their thing.

Just brings about my hatred for the typical Slayer fans though, there would be a break in the songs and they'd just be chanting Slayer or whatever. I'm really not a fan of Slayer, I can appreciate what they've done for metal, but to put it plainly, all their shit sounds the same and I find it fucking boring. Oh, not to mention hypocritical as fuck.

Oh well, I'm just hoping that Mastodon come back again, I'm waiting with baited breath for their next album.
"Oh, that's not him taunting you.
That's his idea of a welcome gift.
Instead of a basket with wine and cheese,
you get jpegs of equine molestation."

Sir Tacopuss

• Emoticontraindication
  • Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn
« Reply #79 on: 29 Nov 2007, 16:38 »

To send - Onward to terminus triumphal flight sheds object form.
Orbitainer eyes the absolute and freed - walk alone.

Felix_

« Reply #80 on: 30 Nov 2007, 03:35 »

Having listened to the complete discographies of each band, and having seen each in the live setting (Meshuggah a few times over the years), I do not understand the appeal of either Mastodon nor Meshuggah.

:?

Ozzman

• Not quite a lurker
    • My Myspace
« Reply #81 on: 30 Nov 2007, 09:23 »

They're not for everybody.

Pretty much any and every group is like that.

There's probably stuff you listen to that people don't understand the appeal of.

I'd say it's an acquired taste, but some of us are almost born with it.
To each his (her) own.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #82 on: 30 Nov 2007, 12:10 »

I feel like makin' an ass of myself so I'll mention one band, and leave for the moment.
Dethklok.
Nothing to be ashamed of here; I like The DethAlbum, too.
Of course, I also like Amon Amarth, despite the hell my friends give me. I think I just hang out with a pack o' dicks, they sound cool to me. Johan Hegg needs to lift weights and tan if he's gonna continue shirtless, though...

Sir Tacopuss

• Emoticontraindication
  • Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn
« Reply #83 on: 30 Nov 2007, 12:45 »

Have you ever heard them Live?  Not very impressive...

The albums are kind of ok, though.
To send - Onward to terminus triumphal flight sheds object form.
Orbitainer eyes the absolute and freed - walk alone.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #84 on: 30 Nov 2007, 13:55 »

That's wierd, because when I saw Amon Amarth, they were absolutely fucking incredible. Maybe it was because I was very, very drunk, maybe it was because they used enough pyrotechnics to raze Dresden, maybe it was because they played Seigreicher Marsch as an instrumental during which ten Jomsvikings stormed the stage, and engaged Johan in a massive sword-fight whilst the rest of the band rocked out around them and pyrotechnics flared like the flames of Muspellheim. Maybe it was because the song Death in Fire is the only thing that has fucked your mum more times than me.

Who knows.

Also, tans are the least metal thing ever.

• Furry furrier
« Reply #85 on: 30 Nov 2007, 15:12 »

That's wierd, because when I saw Amon Amarth, they were absolutely fucking incredible. Maybe it was because I was very, very drunk, maybe it was because they used enough pyrotechnics to raze Dresden, maybe it was because they played Seigreicher Marsch as an instrumental during which ten Jomsvikings stormed the stage, and engaged Johan in a massive sword-fight whilst the rest of the band rocked out around them and pyrotechnics flared like the flames of Muspellheim. Maybe it was because the song Death in Fire is the only thing that has fucked your mum more times than me.

Who knows.

Also, tans are the least metal thing ever.

I saw them at Wacken 2006 (you too, I guess) but I went away after 30 minutes because I was totally tired

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #86 on: 30 Nov 2007, 15:15 »

They're playing here next year... I was trying to get the support spot for them and for Immortal who are also coming out soon but we missed out on account of not having the professional press packs to give to people. Which sucks but we have no money.

Incidently, has anyone heard the new Mayhem album Ordo Ad Chao? Thoughts?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #87 on: 30 Nov 2007, 15:36 »

I saw them at Wacken 2006 (you too, I guess) but I went away after 30 minutes because I was totally tired

Yeah, I have to admit, by the end of it, I was kind of just lying on the ground behind the main body of the crowd, occasionally raising a fist or the horns and croaking "Death in fire!".

Also, DO NOT QUOTE THE POST ABOVE YOU.

Felix_

« Reply #88 on: 01 Dec 2007, 05:03 »

I've seen Amon Amarth twice, once on a tour and one at a festival. At the festival, they were absolutely incredible and very fun to watch live. Sound wise, they sounded spot on, and they threw Slim Jims out into the audience between songs. Brilliant.

At the smaller venue, they were anything but sub-par, but their sound wasn't nearly as good, and overall their performance was 'ok' I suppose. 

They are kinda hit-and-miss live I guess? I dunno.

That said, most of their studio material is excellent. I've been a fan essentially since their debut EP, and they really haven't disappointed me since. 

Good band.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #89 on: 01 Dec 2007, 05:47 »

You notice that sort of thing with a lot of bands, though. Sound is always a variable, unless the band uses entirely their own equipment. Worst sound I've ever heard at a gig, high school talent shows included, was when I saw In Flames try and play through Motorheads sound system, when they were supporting them. I'm not exactly the most rabid In Flames fan anyway, (though this was a few years back) but my gods was it awful.

Also, it's kind of weird. Even though I don't really give two craps about In Flames, I've seen them at least once a year, every year, for the last four years, because they're supporting someone I want to see, or someone I want to see is supporting them, or whatever. Anyone else find themselves watching one band they don't exactly want to see a curiously large amount of times?

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #90 on: 01 Dec 2007, 06:46 »

Funnily enough, when I was at Hammered at Xmas a couple of years ago, when Lacuna Coil played, IF were the only band whose sound wasn't gash. The shitty hardcore bands, Chimaira and Lacuna Coil all sounded flat as fuck but In Flames' sound was amazing.

But yeah, when I saw them supporting Motorhead in Cardiff they were just awful.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #91 on: 01 Dec 2007, 07:13 »

Was that the 2004 one? Where Calibans sound was so bad that their singer actually threw a tantrum and left the stage after two songs?

I was at that gig. I don't remember Lacuna Coil sounding all that off. I really enjoyed In Flames though. Actually, that was a pretty big gig for me, because it was the first time, after two years of going to gigs, I'd gone and seen some bands I actually knew and enjoyed more than like, one or two songs of. Most of the bands that came down Portsmouth and Southampton way back in those days were groups along the lines of Atreyu, The Bled, Bullet for my Valentine, etc. In fact, I'm reasonably sure I saw both My Chemical Romance and Bullet for My Valentine on their first UK tours. If only I had actually liked them.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #92 on: 01 Dec 2007, 07:19 »

Yeah, that's the one. Lacuna Coil's overall sound wasn't atrocious, but what's-her-face was really quiet and flat and the awful, awful guitarist who thinks he's Bruce Dickinson's grunts were about 10x as loud. Sounded far worse than on record anyway.

In Flames were good though. And they had fire. (haha get it in flames lol)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #93 on: 01 Dec 2007, 07:24 »

Actually, the only time I've seen them that they DIDN'T use pyros was supporting Motorhead.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #94 on: 01 Dec 2007, 07:33 »

Fair enough, that was my only 2 times right there. Got pretty bored of them soon after the Xmas show, only saw them again because hey, Motorhead.

On a non-In Flames note, saw Riverside last night at the Underworld and their support was a band called Haken who were absolutely insane - started with a huge long wanky instrumental intro which pretty much screamed 'we listen to too much Opeth' and didn't bode well for the rest of the set (although impressive in places), but then the rest of their set was just 3 massive 10+ minute songs which made no sense whatsoever. Started off in full Dream Theater mode, random time changes, gay falsettos and unnecessary solos galore, but then had a massive identity crisis and there were folky bits, jazzy bits, proper growly death metal bits, and they pulled it all off brilliantly. Lacked some cohesion and utterly confusing but really, really good.

kivenkantaja

« Reply #95 on: 04 Dec 2007, 09:33 »

it's funny to watch Johan Heggs gutt roll around when he circle-bangs.

It's funny, and kinda mesmerizing.

On an off topic, I find it neat that Jeph reviewed an Alcest album.  Neat band, sometimes.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #96 on: 04 Dec 2007, 16:04 »

Hrm. I used to be super into metal but I've hit a relative lull, the most metal things I've listened to in the past couple of months being Isis and Russian Circles. Challenge: name an album (just one) that's totally fucking awesome and I'm not likely to have heard before in order to reel me back in.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #97 on: 04 Dec 2007, 18:30 »

Snowblood - The Human Tragedy
You can listen to the amazing Cape Wrath here: http://www.myspace.com/beingandbecoming . Admittedly they aren't the most metal band ever, they're more in that sludge with post-rock influences kind of sphere, but they're absolutely amazing. They might not bring you back into the metal fold but they may help and based on what you say you've been listening to heavy music wise you'll probably at least enjoy them.

Edit: It just occurred to me that although Cape Wrath is great it's also probably the least metal track on that album, which would sort of defeat the point of the recommendation. So I guess I'll change my tip to Being And Becoming since Aubade from that record is up there and that's much more indicative of what Snowblood sound like overall.
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2007, 18:38 by a pack of wolves »
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #98 on: 04 Dec 2007, 19:02 »

They're on tour opening for Ministry, who aren't really worth seeing. I'm tempted to go for Meshuggah, but I probably won't.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

turtlspinr

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #99 on: 05 Dec 2007, 00:40 »

Hrm. I used to be super into metal but I've hit a relative lull, the most metal things I've listened to in the past couple of months being Isis and Russian Circles. Challenge: name an album (just one) that's totally fucking awesome and I'm not likely to have heard before in order to reel me back in.

Dawnbringer- In Sickness And In Dreams.

seriously, why more people haven't jumped on these guys, i don't know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up