THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hair Advice!!! (NOW WITH RULESSS)  (Read 627388 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Hair Advice!!! (NOW WITH RULESSS)
« Reply #2850 on: 07 Dec 2011, 09:49 »

I used to have a similar hairstyle (well, I still do except it's grown out a LOT) and some of my favorite things to do with it were to wear headbands or hair clips to add a splash of color and to pin my bangs in different ways if I wanted to get them out of my face. Mostly headbands were my friend, but I am terrible at trying to be creative with my hair.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #2851 on: 11 Dec 2011, 12:45 »

I will try out some headbands. Without bangs, they look awful on my giant forehead. But with bangs they seem to look less awful. Thanks!
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ackblom12

« Reply #2853 on: 11 Dec 2011, 14:33 »

the lady in the first link looks so smug.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2854 on: 11 Dec 2011, 15:01 »

I actually really like the large headbands, I wouldn't rule them out entirely - but make sure they aren't the awful uncomfortable ones that stick into your skull. I had those as a child and they were awful.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2855 on: 11 Dec 2011, 15:12 »

She really does.

I have a pretty gigantic head, apparently, so finding a headband that doesn't stab me in the skull is difficult. But I do like those. I dunno if I could pull off the big feathery thing though.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2856 on: 11 Dec 2011, 15:23 »

I didn't know if the big feathery one was going to be your style or not, but I really want one for special occasions. (Not that exact one, but something similar.) And I don't hate the fat ones, but they always interfere with my glasses and I find it annoying. I do have a few fabric ones, though, that go around my entire head and those don't bother me. (I think it has to do with both the angle and also that they're thinner.) I've made some funky ones for myself that I like wearing with pig tails or a pony tail.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2857 on: 01 Oct 2012, 07:01 »

THREAD, I HEREBY RESURRECT YOU!

I really want to do this to my hair:

Buuuuuut I don't know if I want to bother with the upkeep. Also come January, I'd probably have to go back to natural. But COLOR! Thoughts? I really don't like jumping on fads and most ombre hair I think looks boring (brown to blonde is meh), but honestly, the upkeep for dying your whole head is a pain because of how often you have to do it and also this will let me grow it out with no real issues. (I can re-dye the ends or chop them off, but bringing my whole head back to natural is a right pain in the ass and it's not going to happen.) Also I'd rather do this myself, because I'm too poor to get it done professionally, but I feel like it might look better if I did. Or enlist the help of a friend who is talented in the hair dying realm.

It's this or streaks. For those of you who don't know, I have pretty severe hair ADD and the itch has returned. Growing hair out is boring, but I don't want to chop it off yet because I'm not sick of it, I'm just bored.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2858 on: 01 Oct 2012, 07:14 »

I really like the idea of ombre hair. Pretty low commitment and super pretty. I used to have bright blue hair and that is SO much work oh my god. But bright blue ends would be relatively easy.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #2859 on: 01 Oct 2012, 14:27 »

So let me start off by saying I am a guy.

My hair is getting longer right now which means I keep on wanting to do stuff with it.

I considered getting something like a mohawk, but i don't the time or money to keep that up
I also wanted to dye it. I was thinking blonde, but I do not want to be one of those guys who dyed their blonde and now look ridiculous.

Also, my hair is doing something very weird as it grows out, my bangs are growing out very evenly, it almost looks like I just cut them with scissors. It's weird

Now that that's out of my system, I am going to go crawl in a corner and do some manly things. Like listen to sports. Or punch a guy in the faace.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2860 on: 01 Oct 2012, 14:45 »

You could join me in the quest for awesome rainbow hair. You could do something like this, with manly colors:

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #2861 on: 01 Oct 2012, 15:42 »

I'm afraid that might be out of my league right now. I can barely do a proper headbanger as it is

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #2862 on: 01 Oct 2012, 16:39 »

Linds' suggestion sounds like C25K. Interesting thought; you could post photos of progress. I'm out of this one; I don't have enough hair and what I have is a distinguished (maybe) gray.

Zingoleb

« Reply #2863 on: 01 Oct 2012, 16:48 »

Personally, I want to do this with my hair:

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2864 on: 01 Oct 2012, 18:48 »

You know, I was gonna do blue chunks tomorrow. But I am seriously reconsidering what to do with the color after seeing those pics  :-D

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #2865 on: 01 Oct 2012, 18:50 »

See, what I would like to do is dye my hair platinum blonde and add blue highlights or something to it. SO the pictures linds and zing posted would be great things to do, if I were a girl. But my hair is incredibly thin and stubborn

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2866 on: 01 Oct 2012, 19:23 »

I just feel the need to note that you're not dying your hair blonde, you are bleaching it. That is all.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #2867 on: 01 Oct 2012, 19:37 »

Oh well that should tell you how little I know about hair. I know how I want it to look, but i have no idea on how to do it. It's just something that I like to toss around my head every once in a while. I might do it when I have time to research and money to buy everything that I need.

Zingoleb

« Reply #2868 on: 01 Oct 2012, 20:05 »

SO the pictures linds and zing posted would be great things to do, if I were a girl.

Who cares? I'm not a girl.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2869 on: 01 Oct 2012, 20:28 »

dr. - Just a warning, if you've never died your hair before I strongly recommend either finding a friend who's done it and is good at it or get it done professionally. At least that way you can watch someone do it first and ask for advice on upkeep and whatnot.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2870 on: 02 Oct 2012, 08:32 »

You also mentioned you have thin hair, by which I think you mean "fine" hair (mine is fine also, but it used to be "thick" before it "thinned out", and now I'm pretty well just bald).  The opposite of fine hair is, of course, coarse hair.  Fine hair is more easily damaged by processing (dying, perming, straightening) than coarser hair, and there are differences between straight and curly as well.  So if you do anything to it, make sure it's done by someone experienced with the process on several types of hair - the amount of time for the different processes needs to be adjusted accordingly. 

Otherwise, you're going to do more harm than good.  The first time I shaved my head was after most of it fell out from a particularly bad dye job for a theatre production in college... and I'm told I was lucky it grew back as well as it did! 

Referece; My wife, a professional stylist until carpal tunnel took away her ability to roll perms and hold scissors... we used to talk about hair chemistry all the time, it's fascinating stuff! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2871 on: 02 Oct 2012, 09:45 »

To my knowledge, thin hair refers to the density of the hair overall, rather than the thickness of the individual hairs. So if you have thick hair, you have a lot of hairs per square inch of head, but it could be fine or coarse.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #2872 on: 02 Oct 2012, 16:10 »

Well hopefully I never get thin hair
But it does run in my family, so I probably will
Damn you genetics! Why can't you take it from my paternal chromosomes?

Zingoleb

« Reply #2873 on: 03 Oct 2012, 01:31 »

You could always take Finasteride to avoid that.

I mean, sure there's the whole 'lowered testosterone' side effect...

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2874 on: 08 Oct 2012, 10:45 »

Well, the hair is cut, colored, and straightened, and here are the results:

It always shocks me how homely I look in pictures  :psyduck:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2875 on: 08 Oct 2012, 12:55 »

You look more like your avatar every day!

I love that shade of blue - it wouldn't suit me but I'm happy to see it in other people's hair.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2876 on: 08 Oct 2012, 19:37 »

I'll be honest, the hair looks a bit... damaged.  Are you chemically straightening it, or just using an iron? 

Of course, it could also be from the dying, but I'm not sure that's what's going on. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2877 on: 08 Oct 2012, 20:01 »

It was bleached before the color was put in, that that definitely took it's toll. Heat-treating it the following day certainly didn't do it any favor's I'm sure. I think it just needs some time to recover. Otherwise, my hair hadn't been dyed in years, so... yeah. It's not happy hair right now. I'll take pics again when I just toss some mousse or gel in it. It'll look happier then.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2878 on: 09 Oct 2012, 00:58 »

Loooooooooots of good conditioner, every time you wash it!

Zingoleb

« Reply #2879 on: 09 Oct 2012, 01:07 »

Have you considered doing an olive oil treatment for it? That would do wonders.

(other things that could help: A mayonnaise deep conditioning, or a soak in apple cider vinegar after shampooing/conditioning your hair (no, your hair won't smell like vinegar - the smell rinses out))

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2880 on: 09 Oct 2012, 04:44 »

I really like the colour, it's neat how far it starts up rather than it just being tips.

I tried to dye my entire hair that shade of blue a while ago but whether my hair is too dark (from being dyed before) or it just wasn't clean enough that day, it didn't take at all. If I looked closely the more blonde parts of my roots went sort of green. Going to let my natural hair colour grow out and try again.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2881 on: 09 Oct 2012, 08:51 »

Thanks for the suggestions! I want to avoid any deep-conditioning stuff for the moment, simply because I'm told that it'll leech the color out. Once it starts fading, I'll likely give it a go. Day 2 without having washed it is making it look not so horribly damaged, since the natural oils are getting back into it.

As for color, I think this stuff is only available in professional salon stores (the kind you need a license to get anything). My friend did it for me, that's in school for it right now, and oh my god, the dye stains things worse than anything I've seen before - the floor of my shower has a distinct blue tint to it right now. There's actually two colors in the hair, a tealy-green and a dark blue, and that's how the gradient was put in.

A lady that came into the store yesterday said that my hair reminds her of a peacock. I'm pretty okay with this  :-D

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #2882 on: 10 Oct 2012, 09:45 »

I've done the blue streaky thing before (professionally), and it does tend to fade to green and then greenish-gray, but most of the fading is still pretty okay.

I want to have a trim this weekend and maybe put more bleached-out streaks in, near the bottom, so that if I get an in-person interview for this job, I'll be able to slam some color in there.
Ho, ho, ho!
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58]   Go Up