THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Phobias.  (Read 49256 times)

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: Phobias.
« Reply #100 on: 15 Dec 2007, 19:04 »

Vomiting. Scares the living daylights out of me. I can't even watch it on the TV, and as for being near somebody else hurling... urgh, nothing worse except going through it myself. If someone were to offer me the choice between throwing up or getting a broken arm then I'd smash the damn thing myself.

Once I threw up so hard that my leg came up and vomit came streaming out of my nose. I did not like that at all.

stella

« Reply #101 on: 15 Dec 2007, 19:26 »

I have never admitted this fear to anyone, but I am scared of toilets.  Before you judge, I should elaborate that I am scared of the urban myths about people who stick things under the toilet seat like razor blades and needles filled with AIDS and things like that.  I'm not just scared of public toilets, I'm nervous at home too.  It's just the thought of sitting down on a toilet seat and being jabbed in the thigh (or worse) with a needle or a razor slicing my leg open.... I hate it.  I hate going to the public toilet when there's nobody else in the restroom area as well, I think it may have to do with the awful lighting that makes it feel like the bathroom in the movie SAW.  I'm scared I will be jumped and murdered in the toilet.  This sounds really dumb reading it back, but it's always creeped me out.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #102 on: 15 Dec 2007, 19:35 »

I've always been kind of scared that a snake or something will be in the toilet and bite me on the ass and/or balls.
Hate, rain on me

just-another-andy

« Reply #103 on: 15 Dec 2007, 19:39 »

In my local Supermarket someone once wrote "Don't worry; the toilet scorpians only jump 6 ft high in here" then drew a line 6 ft high. I still check sometimes, just incase

Y'know?

stella

« Reply #104 on: 15 Dec 2007, 19:43 »

I do.  I feel not so weird now, thanks guys.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #105 on: 15 Dec 2007, 20:49 »

I sat on a toilet and ended up with a large spider running around on my ass once.  I feel bad because I overreacted and the spider got flushed.  Poor spider, it didn't deserve that.  Am I helping?

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #106 on: 15 Dec 2007, 20:54 »

I have never admitted this fear to anyone, but I am scared of toilets.  Before you judge, I should elaborate that I am scared of the urban myths about people who stick things under the toilet seat like razor blades and needles filled with AIDS and things like that.  I'm not just scared of public toilets, I'm nervous at home too.  It's just the thought of sitting down on a toilet seat and being jabbed in the thigh (or worse) with a needle or a razor slicing my leg open.... I hate it.  I hate going to the public toilet when there's nobody else in the restroom area as well, I think it may have to do with the awful lighting that makes it feel like the bathroom in the movie SAW.  I'm scared I will be jumped and murdered in the toilet.  This sounds really dumb reading it back, but it's always creeped me out.

See, I have a fear of using the restroom when other people are in it (like public bathrooms). I just cant stand someone being in another stall. I cant even use the urinals.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #107 on: 15 Dec 2007, 21:01 »

I sat on a toilet and ended up with a large spider running around on my ass once.  I feel bad because I overreacted and the spider got flushed.
How is that overreacting? If you had leapt up screaming... that still would have been an appropriate reaction.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #108 on: 15 Dec 2007, 21:13 »

Perhaps that would have been an appropriate reaction, but saying so is a far less effective way of messing with the people who are afraid of toilets.  You know, in a friendly, totally non-malicious way...  :evil:

stella

« Reply #109 on: 15 Dec 2007, 22:38 »

I sat on a toilet and ended up with a large spider running around on my ass once.  I feel bad because I overreacted and the spider got flushed.  Poor spider, it didn't deserve that.  Am I helping?

Strangely enough, that doesn't bother me as much as the idea of sharp objects or other perils hiding beneath the seat.  Statistically speaking, you're never more than 6 feet away from a spider, so it would stand to reason they were near the toilet.  I'm not nearly as nervous about spiders as I am about inadvertently undergoing female castration while trying to take a leak.  (Though if anyone wants to kill that huge spider on my ceiling, feel free....)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #110 on: 15 Dec 2007, 22:50 »

See, I have a fear of using the restroom when other people are in it (like public bathrooms). I just cant stand someone being in another stall. I cant even use the urinals.

I always relished the opportunity. Especially when I've got some kind of intestinal disease (which is more often than not, these days) and I shit pure corpse-smell concentrate. Points for retching, triple word score for inducing full-on vomiting.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

stella

« Reply #111 on: 15 Dec 2007, 22:55 »

... triple word score for inducing full-on vomiting.

You have no idea how happy you just made me. 

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #112 on: 16 Dec 2007, 00:58 »

You have just reinforced my theory that states people only shit in public restrooms when afflicted by intestinal hell.

I have lived in two houses so far, and I have developed an irrational fear of one room in each of these houses.  It's just one specific room that makes me uneasy, and I can never figure out why.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Alegis

« Reply #113 on: 16 Dec 2007, 06:45 »

A little bit of agoraphobia. I don't like people.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #114 on: 19 Dec 2007, 03:32 »

I always relished the opportunity. Especially when I've got some kind of intestinal disease (which is more often than not, these days) and I shit pure corpse-smell concentrate. Points for retching, triple word score for inducing full-on vomiting.

wow, I was having a crappy day until I read this! Thanks for making my day shine a little browner!:D
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

öde

« Reply #115 on: 19 Dec 2007, 07:09 »

Can you spiral a football though?

If I see and smell disgusting things, mostly puke or crap, I will probably throw up after a couple of minutes. Maybe onto the cause.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #116 on: 19 Dec 2007, 08:32 »

Once someone came in to puke while I was showering, separated from them merely by a thankfully opaque shower curtain. I don't mind the act of vomiting, but I get really grossed out if I come across vomit on the sidewalk or something that hasn't been cleaned up.

Cam

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #117 on: 19 Dec 2007, 11:01 »

A lot of the fears can be explained by basic biology.  The fear of feces, vomit, and bugs is just the way of your body saying, "This is some nasty stuff.  Stay away from it." 

My father was a Sergeant in the Marines.  I spent most of my childhood fearing him.  After that was gone, I wasn't really left with any phobias.  There are lots of things I dislike, but my primary fear right now has to do with things in the political realm that I can't discuss due to board rules. 

öde

« Reply #118 on: 19 Dec 2007, 13:34 »

Flicker?

I'm certain Guiliani won't get into office. Firstly, his name is Rudy. Secondly, he is the least attractive candidate.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #119 on: 19 Dec 2007, 15:57 »

Obama and Edwards are -effing sexy-
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Cam

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #120 on: 19 Dec 2007, 16:05 »

Yes, yes, they are.

In subtle transition away from politics, I don't really think it qualifies a phobia, but I hate, hate, hate, hate large lines or big groups of people not moving.  Fuck you people, I have places to be.  Get out of my way already.

öde

« Reply #121 on: 19 Dec 2007, 16:09 »

I really hate it when people block public paths or roads, especially people who decide to stop dead in the middle of a crowded pavement.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #122 on: 19 Dec 2007, 17:09 »

Once someone came in to puke while I was showering, separated from them merely by a thankfully opaque shower curtain. I don't mind the act of vomiting, but I get really grossed out if I come across vomit on the sidewalk or something that hasn't been cleaned up.

My brother threw up in the shower a fortnight ago. And on the bathroom floor. And in the sink.

And that was just in the bathroom... Urgh.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #123 on: 19 Dec 2007, 17:30 »

I had the hugest vomit phobia when I was younger.  When I pushed my brother off the bed when we were playing "Beauty and the Beast" in my youth and he landed on his head and got a concussion and started vomiting everywhere, the first thing I did was run down the stairs and build a couch-fort that would save me from the ensuing vomit-flood.  I think this fear stems from my brother's horrible airsickness that caused him to vomit every time we boarded a plane up until he was ten, or when we had a car ride, or a train ride, or especially a boat ride.  Even earlier in my life, however, is when my brother vomited on a hill and I tried hard to outrun it but it got my shoes.

I think I'm over it now, at least enough so that I can play nurse to my increasingly alcoholic friends.

stella

« Reply #124 on: 19 Dec 2007, 23:55 »

On a school trip to Europe, I had to share a hotel room with a friend and a girl we didn't know.  The first night there, all of our stuff is in the bathroom.  We wake up to find the strange girl sitting on the toilet, tossing her cookies all over the bathroom and our things (clothes, toiletries, etc.).   Disgusting. 

....ever since then, I have a fear of strange girls I am forced to share hotel rooms with.

Zoe

« Reply #125 on: 20 Dec 2007, 04:36 »

hm, cant say i have anything aganst oppaloompa, but i'll stick with the usuals, small spaces, and uncontrolable situations.

Lila

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #126 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:42 »

butterflies.
When I was younger, my mom didn't believe me. She took me to one of those butterfly-ariums. You know, those big domes where they have butterflies flying around and they land on you? Of course, she didn' t tell me where we were going, or I would have flipped out, and I was wearing a floral print skirt. And it was high noon in FL (we were visiting my grandparents), so the butterflies were going full tilt all over the place.
shudder]
You know as much about Shakespeare as a chicken knows about tic-tac-toe!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #127 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:45 »

....ever since then, I have a fear of strange girls I am forced to share hotel rooms with.

this can't come up often, can it?
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #128 on: 22 Dec 2007, 07:47 »

You'd be surprised.

just-another-andy

« Reply #129 on: 22 Dec 2007, 17:06 »

Ive found I have an insatiable fear of heights. Especially when it comes to rollercoasters. I don't care how fast the motherfucker is going as long as it's not more than 10m in the air. I hate not having that control and I fear for my life.

When I was 11 I went to Florida on holiday and like all tourists we went to Universal studios. The last ride of the day was a toss up between Jurassic park boat ride thingy or Dr Doom's Fearfall. My uncle started moaning when I wanted to go on the boat ride so I eventually succcumed and we went on fearfall. so there we are, sitting there all strapped in and waiting for something to happen...my 11 year old self is sitting there in a world of my own assuming there must be an announcement before the ride begins.....ohhhh how wrong I was; we were shot 200 ft into the and I was terrified. I think the fear began right about there.

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #130 on: 23 Dec 2007, 09:17 »

I get terribly anxious around large crowds of moving people in a small space, although i have no idea why so i guess this could be seen as a phobia? I'm also not a fan of flying or heights but both of these fears are completely rational (the fear of falling/crashing to the earth from a great height is pretty rational in my opinion). I've never understood people's fear of clowns, Although i would guess that the media has more than a little to do with it (films, books and the like).
"The system works a bit like a car wash. The man puts his penis in a chamber and presses a button to start the jets of liquid latex, sucked from a detachable cartridge."

camelpimp

« Reply #131 on: 24 Dec 2007, 11:58 »

butterflies.
When I was younger, my mom didn't believe me. She took me to one of those butterfly-ariums. You know, those big domes where they have butterflies flying around and they land on you? Of course, she didn' t tell me where we were going, or I would have flipped out, and I was wearing a floral print skirt. And it was high noon in FL (we were visiting my grandparents), so the butterflies were going full tilt all over the place.
shudder]

I used to fear butterflies too. I thought it was just me.

normz

« Reply #132 on: 26 Dec 2007, 02:45 »

mayonaise ....

i can eat a whole meal and if at the end you tell me it had mayonaise in it, it will immediatly induce a panic attack and possible vomiting

i have be known to starve rather than cope with mayonaise

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #133 on: 26 Dec 2007, 06:16 »

I can't stand cows and i'm pretty uneasy around other large herbivorous creatures. My reason being if one of them decided to charge you, you are pretty fucked. Whereas with predators you know where you stand, if you came across a bear you would know to keep your distance. A cow though could be all placid and nice and you could walk past if fine, then WHAM out of nowhere it runs at you. And they have the stare.... i hate that stare.

Any particular reason for having a mayonaise phobia?
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2007, 06:19 by ledhendrix »
Get off my land

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #134 on: 26 Dec 2007, 08:29 »

It's really gross?

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #135 on: 26 Dec 2007, 12:03 »

my housemate has a really intense fear of sharks. she frequently has nightmares about being eaten by sharks and actually keeps an eye on the showerhead everytime she takes a shower to make sure no sharks come out of it and eat her. anytime a shark is on television she panics and has to change the channel. attempt to discuss sharks with her and you will visibly notice her cringe and look at the floor. i used to think this was irrational but after a bit of thought is there really anything on earth scarier than a motherfucking shark. seriously look at this shark. look at those fucking teeth. i think she might be the smartest person i know.

Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

captain zoe

« Reply #136 on: 26 Dec 2007, 17:03 »

I'm another one totally horrified by vomit and the act of vomiting.  If I ever start to feel even the slightest bit nauseous, I freak out.  I HATE vomiting.  This summer, when I had my tonsils out, I was more scared of possibly throwing up because of the anesthesia than the actual surgery and recovery.  (I did end up yakking up bile and blood the 2nd night, that was awful.)  The sound and smell of vomit just freak me out.  I can't eat oranges, cheetos, or those orange crackers with peanut butter in them because of my brother, who would regularly vomit these up in the car.  Ew. 

And I am also slightly claustrophobic.  I have nightmares about being inside a CAT-scan machine, because I wouldn't be able to move and get out. 

Lila

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #137 on: 27 Dec 2007, 07:17 »

butterflies.
shudder]

I used to fear butterflies too. I thought it was just me.

My friend at camp is afraid of them too...
but everyone else makes fun of me for it. The weird thing is, I'm not scared of bees.
You know as much about Shakespeare as a chicken knows about tic-tac-toe!

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #138 on: 27 Dec 2007, 09:55 »

That looks like one good meal. 
Seriously, I had spotted hammerhead a few years back. 
BEST. FISH. EVER.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Kylos

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Myspace?
« Reply #139 on: 27 Dec 2007, 18:18 »

Needles. I nearly broke Gemmwah's hand when she came with me for a blood test once. I think i'm forever in her debt for that.
Heights. I can't stand on something that's even a foot off the floor. Combined with my next fear of enclosed spaces, it makes flying hard.
Finally spiders and the dark. They all never fail to creep me out.

I think my biggest fear would be me trapped with spiders who have needles for legs in a plane at night with the lights off.
Oh the horrors of science.

Edit: I just remembered another one. Anything with more than four legs. specifically, cephalopods. Add squids, octopus(es? pods? pii?), and even starfish to that horrible plane journey.
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2007, 18:26 by Kylos »
I hope we mess things up in a huge and beautiful fashion.

Pernix takes the rat and uses it as a peen sock.

Oreogeek

« Reply #140 on: 27 Dec 2007, 19:46 »

I'm claustrophobic. I no longer fly. It's all kinds of a pain in the ass. It's kept me from getting particular medical procedures done because I can not bear having something around my head or over my face. MRI's are out of the question, unless it's the open kind. There's another machine they have, it's huge and doughnut shaped and I can't even lie still for that. I've almost torn those up. I hate them, but I hate the fear that it will fall on me more.

I've also become slightly agoraphobic. I'm having more and more trouble leaving my house. I live in Miami, and I have no desire to drive. I just know I'll kill someone or they'll kill me. My family has no sympathy and don't understand my desire the have the car shredded just so I don't have to deal with the mere IDEA of driving. They think if they with hold doing things for me, I'll drive the car and do it myself. The problem is I'll happily jump in a cab if I'm REALLY desperate, otherwise I just do without or they get so pissed with me they do what I need anyway. I am working on my fear of driving, I sit in the car and get used to it, but like I said, I live in MIAMI. People get shot just changing lanes and not using a signal down here.  :roll:

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #141 on: 27 Dec 2007, 21:33 »

Well the moral to that story is use the damn signal every time. Seriously, its not so hard! I do it, I never change lanes without a signal, I do it when I'm by myself on the road out of habit because I get so pissed whenever other people do it. What I'm saying is if I lived in Miami I'd shoot you.

When I was just starting out driving I was scared shitless as well. Feelings like lack of control of the two ton vehicle, reflexes not being adapted to controlling this thing, and what ifs of events beyond the car that I couldn't control made my first few driving lessons go a month in between. It was because of this that it took me nearly three years to start driving, I didn't have my license until this year, as in, being 19 years old and getting my license in August. I got over it though, but I can see where you're coming from.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #142 on: 27 Dec 2007, 22:35 »

I do not drive. I know I will kill people if I do. I'm 19. I get by alright.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #143 on: 27 Dec 2007, 22:38 »

guys i am so glad there are other people aside from me who are afraid of driving.
i know i have said this a few times before but it bears repeating considering how shitty everyone's always made me feel about this. i only started learning how to drive this year. i'm 20.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #144 on: 27 Dec 2007, 22:51 »

I'm 21 and I still havn't even started!  I feel like I have to at some stage.  Eventually.  Mostly because for alot of jobs you are required to have your own transport.  But you know, I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #145 on: 27 Dec 2007, 23:05 »

in ontario we use the graduated licensing system - it takes two years to get your full license!
i waited as long as i could, but i think i pretty much have to start now to ensure i can drive  a car by the time i graduate. this sucks. everything sucks. a blooo blooo blooooo

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #146 on: 28 Dec 2007, 01:23 »

6 months from learners permit to provisional, 18 months from provisional to full here.

But yeah, being afraid of driving a two-ton death machine, perfectly rational fear. But if I can conquer that through confidence in my own ability then so can you!

Just send me your credit information and I'll send you this ten-page pamphlet on how to be a better you today.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #147 on: 28 Dec 2007, 05:31 »

I'm 21 and only about a third of the way through learning, and on hiatus at the moment anyway. I also took years to finally crack and get down to it because the idea terrified me. Surprisingly ok once I got started though, huzzah.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #148 on: 28 Dec 2007, 06:21 »

I have been driving since my feet could touch the pedals of a car. However, I totally understand how you can be scared of driving. I have a brand new car, and have already been smashed into in it (it was relatively minor, and the other people were insured, so the car is good as new again, but STILL). I am an overly cautious, flustered, twitchy driver now and it is horrible.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #149 on: 28 Dec 2007, 06:23 »

None of you should ever ride with me in a car. I am a good driver, never hit anything or gotten in an accident, but still. I would rather drive than be driven, though, because the way people drive most of the time freaks me out. Especially if the car I'm in is a stick shift and makes the car jerk when shifting gears.

Bugs that are not green or brightly colored and are gross looking freak me out. Like, butterflies, ladybugs, praying mantises, and the cicadas that are blue with orange eyes - I am completely okay with insects like this. Even green spiders are okay, because I'm amazed with the fact they are bright green. But things like spiders that have a bigger body than the point of a pencil, roaches, millipedes (even though they are harmless), etc., and even the cricket that fell off of a fan and onto my head once will freak me out and either result in me screaming and flailing about or slowly backing out of the room to curl in a ball so someone else can kill it. I don't know if I mentioned this in the last phobia thread, but my 9th grade bio teacher had a millipede in a small plastic cage that she was carrying around the room and when she got to my table, I turned around and it was inches from my face, I fell off my chair. She laughed at me, so I yelled at her.

I tend to be more paranoid than have irrational fears. I don't like small elevators packed full of people, because the elevators in the building I'm in at school tend to break down a lot because of this very reason. I am afraid of walking around alone at night and sometimes driving, because I don't live in the best neighborhood and some asshole teenagers once tried to open one of my car doors while I paused at a stop sign and chased me down the street a bit once I realized what they were doing. I'm also afraid of people breaking in my house and I don't understand how some people don't lock their doors at night and I won't sleep over at my friend's houses if they don't lock their doors either. All of these make sense to me, so I don't think they qualify as phobias. The spider and bug thing, though, do not make sense, so I think I do have a phobia of nasty bugs.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up