THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engagement rings  (Read 45002 times)

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
Re: Engagement rings
« Reply #100 on: 31 Dec 2007, 00:03 »

Isn't it pretty?  And such a glamerous shade of orange!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #101 on: 31 Dec 2007, 08:20 »

Holy hell everyone on this friggin' board is getting engaged!

Also, bain, that is quite possibly the most gorgeous engagement ring that I have ever seen in my life. You are one lucky girl.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #102 on: 31 Dec 2007, 09:12 »

I bet she is jealous of Jodie's ring though.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #103 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:01 »

I've decided that if and when a girl makes the baffling decision to not break up with me for a long enough period that I decide to marry her and trap her forever, I'll probably go with something either like Aurias or Brilliant Earth.

With both companies you get the benefit of an actual diamond without the blood on your hands. With the former company you can get the tremendously expensive but what are by all reports consistently excellent Aurias Select diamonds, which are cut to stringent quality standards. With the latter company you can select from a broad variety of conflict-free diamonds and with a little searching you can probably find the exact diamond for your specifications.

Girls who want and have rings, is the size more important or is the quality more important? The fact is, a guy could pay a ridiculous amount for a giant rock that really isn't that good quality, or he could pay an equally ridiculous amount for a smaller but vastly superior gem.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #104 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:19 »

I know I'd prefer something small-ish anyway, so a better quality gem would work for me.  Small and sparkly! 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #105 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:25 »

bain, that ring is gorgeous! congratulations!

so many people getting engaged.... i want to get engaged too! someday..
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

richardsdm

« Reply #106 on: 31 Dec 2007, 13:51 »

Linds - The store is called Creative Metalsmiths - www.creativemetalsmiths.com

It is a very cool store in Chapel Hill, NC.  One of these days when I have money again, I am going to get the same artist to do either a bracelet or necklace to match her ring, but that is far off into the future.

That is a very cool ring Bain.

ackblom12

« Reply #107 on: 31 Dec 2007, 16:31 »

That's what I got my woman. White gold with a 1/2 k raised center and a pair of 1/4 k stones to the side. Did it all by my lonesome too! Her wedding band will be plain white gold and mine will either be Titanium(Most likely) or Stainless Steel.

The funny thing is I quite literally sold most of my cattle to pay for the engagement ring.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #108 on: 31 Dec 2007, 17:36 »

I bet she is jealous of Jodie's ring though.

Who wouldn't be!  It is large, shiney and edible!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

bujiatang

« Reply #109 on: 31 Dec 2007, 18:17 »

It might be a conflict of interest for me to post on this, since selling jewelry is how I pay my rent.

I would first like to point out that it is horribly inconsistent for people to complain about diamonds, and drive cars.  OPEC isn't a cartel either right?  If potential human rights violations offend, buy Canadian diamonds.  But since most of the diamond producing countries are on board with the Kimberley process, consumer preference can either support the system or give the signal that we don't care.  If you really want to know where the stone came from, rather than ponying up for a GIA cert, get a Gubelin gem report, which will tell you more than just the GIA description of how the stone looks.  So you do have options.

Personally I hate selling diamonds. People are assholes when it comes to paying for them.  Most guys are more interested in size than quality, which means we are coerced into selling an inferior product to satisfy the customer. 

I carved Shannon's ring from a sketch she had made of her ideal ring I had from before we were dating.  The center stone is a 1/3 carat Alexandrite.  She was a Russian major, and Alexandrites were originally mined from the Ural mountains.

Her wedding ring was made by Leddel, they use an excellent alloy and her white gold ring has not turned creamy like mine has.  The center stone is a .84 ceylon sapphire, there are two diamonds peaking out from underneath.

It is important that the ring match the person... Shannon thinks that the stock solitare is the worst ring devised by man.  This was duly noted.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #110 on: 01 Jan 2008, 16:58 »

I would first like to point out that it is horribly inconsistent for people to complain about diamonds, and drive cars.

I don't drive either.

And at least petroleum, even if it's controlled by dicks, has an actual use.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #111 on: 01 Jan 2008, 17:55 »

And you kinda need a car to live (shut up I don't feel like arguing this).
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

öde

« Reply #112 on: 01 Jan 2008, 17:56 »

I seem to have survived for 17 and a half years without one and anyway, cars don't have to run on fossil fuels.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #113 on: 01 Jan 2008, 19:43 »

I would first like to point out that it is horribly inconsistent for people to complain about diamonds, and drive cars.
I don't like diamonds because of the monopoly on the market for something that isn't rare.

Oil's rare. Though there are other places we could get it *points at Alaska and Russia*

And crude doesn't look good, no matter what setting you put it in.
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #114 on: 01 Jan 2008, 20:57 »

I seem to have survived for 17 and a half years without one and anyway, cars don't have to run on fossil fuels.

Not all of us live in rural Ingerland.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #115 on: 02 Jan 2008, 06:57 »

I want that alexandrite ring, that is the most gorgeous thing I've seen!  I love alexandrites, color changing gemstones are so much fun!

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #116 on: 03 Jan 2008, 11:02 »

I recently got engaged. I've been saying for years I would say no to a guy that got me a ring above 20 dollars because I find jewels, particularly diamonds, pointless and silly and a guy that wants to marry me should probably know that by then. A shiny piece of tinfoil is more interesting than a plain white diamond. I always wanted a guy to get me one in a 25 cent machine.

My man-thing got me a ring, for 13 bucks, sterling silver with a symbol he knew I'd adore. He didn't have it on him when he asked on a hiking trip, so he was going to draw one on me (totally stole my heart) but instead he found my old mood ring in my camp backpack and we used that until we went home the next day.

I always felt diamonds were a left over from back when you had to buy your bride or prove something to her, I don't know. But hey, if you like diamonds, as they are shiny, go for it. (But please, pay attention to where you purchase them from and where in the world they came from. You don't want a diamond coming from human and environmental suffering- bad luck, ya know?)
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2008, 11:07 by SevenPinkerton »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #117 on: 03 Jan 2008, 17:02 »

Man, everything worth having comes from human suffering. Everything.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #118 on: 03 Jan 2008, 21:12 »

Katie, will you marry me?

Hooray! When and where?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #119 on: 05 Jan 2008, 09:17 »

Man, everything worth having comes from human suffering. Everything.

Especially love!

öde

« Reply #120 on: 05 Jan 2008, 10:04 »

Hooray! When and where?

B&Q! Before the apocalypse?

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #121 on: 05 Jan 2008, 17:52 »

Back when I was engaged, we were broke. I didn't get a ring. I did get an expensive sleeping bag for christmas about a month later, and jokingly called it my engagement ring. It was a nice sleeping bag.

I swore up and down that I didn't want a ring, but I really kind of did. An inexpensive ring would have been fine.

My wedding band was beautiful, hand-made, sterling silver, with pretty little ridges that looked like waves. I lost it swimming in a pond two days after we got married. I wore his for many years after that, until we decided to get divorced.

I doubt I'll ever remarry, but I would/do like to be given gifts. Including jewelry.  I don't really like diamonds, though.
Ho, ho, ho!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #122 on: 06 Jan 2008, 00:35 »

Jodie and I got engaged too (woo! Australian citizenship!)! I got her a big stone! Hold on, she's taking a picture right now!

Wait, really? I am just like reading this thread again and I like it when people I like hook up.
That('d be)/(is) sooo cute!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #123 on: 06 Jan 2008, 04:45 »

It's always been about the gold. If it ain't 24 carat, it damn ain't gold. </chinese>

24 carat gold is so soft the rings tend to break.  I saw it happen once.

Pengraffe

• Admin emeritus
  • Emoticontraindication
« Reply #124 on: 06 Jan 2008, 17:05 »

I feel that I should reply to this thread seeing as how Jeph and I are engaged now!!! I personally hate diamonds because they seem cold and lifeless to me. (Also, they look terrible on me and even though I had the option of a Canadian non-blood diamond, they are not for me.) I am not what you would call a "traditional" girl. I have thin fingers on long hands, so anything that sticks up too much looks silly. Thus, I requested a pearl ring and Jeph and I picked out something we both love at an artisan jewelry gallery. This is the result:

For those of you that know me, it is very "me". Knowing that a pearl requires more care than a diamond just means that I take the ring off if I am cooking or cleaning. I would do that anyway since cleaning rings is a bitch.

Also, I would like to point out that men do not usually get engagement rings, only the lady.
HONK HONK, I'm a pengraffe.

camelpimp

« Reply #125 on: 06 Jan 2008, 17:09 »

Wait, then how do you show people that he's your property? Do you have to pee on him or what? How one-sided.

Pengraffe

• Admin emeritus
  • Emoticontraindication
« Reply #126 on: 06 Jan 2008, 17:27 »

Follow him everywhere with a big sign that says "MINE" and an arrow pointing to him.
HONK HONK, I'm a pengraffe.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #127 on: 06 Jan 2008, 17:36 »

Wait, then how do you show people that he's your property? Do you have to pee on him or what? How one-sided.

well after the wedding the man wears the wedding band and the woman decides whether she wants to wear the wedding band or the engagement ring or both. up until the wedding... go with the sign.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up